Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Basenotes Plus

Default After the Oud fad dies out, then what?

I am sure some humor awaits, but Black, then Intense, then Oud, then...

Default Re: After the Oud fad dies out, then what?

Aoud

A good question actually. May be a blast from the past of some sort.
    What I'd like to try

Prices Rreduced!UK Only:Kilian B2B, Incense Oud, Pure Oud/MFK Pluriel/Ensar Oud/AgarAura Oud

My UK Swapsies!

Need some Roja help: Need a Roja cap, any one (gave away my Fetish cap)
    Also my Harrods Oud bottle needs a cap
    Muchas gracias

".....IFRA is over. Now that we can stimulate olfactory cells directly with light, there’s no need for chemicals. At least, there hasn't been since 2013, when a group at the Media Lab (Massachusetts Institute of Technology, my current place of work) successfully replicated a convincing smell of bacon by shining light pulses at three different wavelengths.

Three years later the technology was sufficiently advanced that perfumers were fooled about whether they were smelling rose oil or light. MIT Chemistry students were among the first to use the technology to identify and remember molecules by associating them with tunes. My son at age 10 smelled wintergreen in a cough drop and said, “Smoke and mint.” When he and his musically-minded sister arrived at MIT, they soon figured out the smoke and mint chords and learned to play them at different speeds—it turns out arpeggiato is best—until they got wintergreen.

In 2019 at age 20 my son finished a degree in Optogenetic Engineering, while his sister’s third-year assignment at Juilliard was a 3-minute smell piece in which she starts out with a huge cluster chord that smells like wet dog and and one by one removes all the bad notes, ending with Jicky played pianissimo.

To smell a perfume these days, all you do is spray a solution containing about 200 different harmless viruses up your nose. Each virus infects a different type of olfactory receptor and instructs it to make a particular protein, which pumps electric charge across the membrane when exposed to light of a particular color. After about 18 to 24 hours, the proteins are in place.

You insert a small fiber optic into your nostril. It is connected to a small machine containing a dozen tunable lasers, which in turn is connected to your laptop and can read a variety of formats like .olf, .noz and .mp7. (Not familiar with them? You haven’t been paying attention.)

I bought one of the early prototype machines and spent several months just going up and down the scale of molecular vibrations and endlessly playing Vince Guaraldi’s “Cast Your Fate to the Wind” (the second chord smells of lavender soap) on an iPad MIDI keyboard. That was a while ago. Now of course ITunes has a smellable books section, and you can visit the Osmothèque remotely.

But the best things are completely new: the strange, stately harmonies of smell are now explored by a generation of “nazers,” a movement started in Paris around 2020 that soon took over the world. You are all familiar with their work, no need to go into it. I knew they were onto something when I smelled a piece by Calice Becker’s granddaughter that went from bread to nail varnish to curry in the opening bar. I am smelling her second album as I write....."

Luca Turin

http://doublebasenotes.blogspot.com/

"Oud Sport"

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by naylor View Post
    "Oud Sport"
    Made me lol

"Oud Sport"
    Hilarious for sure...

IFRA is banished & oakmoss makes a comeback...

I don't think oud is going away. Nor do I think vetiver is going away, bergamot is going away or musc is going away. It's just another note perfumers will use. There will always be oud notes used in some perfumes. What will be the next new note? I don't have a clue...maybe skunk.
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Well we already have Oud & Oud by Cartier. Maybe... Oud & Oud & Oud
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

the big thing I learned from the industry side is that it's not a consumer/demand driven market, it's about supply. People buy what they're told to buy. So basically whatever the next captive is. I think we'll continue to see mainstream houses bring out large 'niche' like high end 'exclusive' lines, including some dry spicey and wood scents which seems to be where we're heading as a big movement, and either this'll branch out, or there'll be a counter movement as fashion always does and in 5-7 years we'll be moving into a super clean fresh direction, probably based on some new interesting citrus, musk, etc
    Tom Ford Splits!!!!
    Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Noir de Noir, Oud Wood
    Plum Japonais,
    Lavender Palm, Tobacco Oud, Café Rose, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

I think sandalwood is due for a (very welcome) comeback now that santalum album is commercially available again. Unless the twits in Brussels hear about it, of course.
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov

Basenotes Junkie

The next fad will depend on the next aromachemical coming down the pipeline. When a new, effective, and inexpensive aromachemical comes down the pipe, the company that owns it will push it. It will be something a bit different, easy to use in a range of offerings, and ideally it will be suited for using a lot of it in a fragrance. Iso-E Super is an example like that (or kinda calone before it). I don't know what the chemical is or what it will smell like, but you can bet that there will be one in the next 3-5 years with fragrances from it for 3-10 years after that.

What olfactive area? I could see complex florals making a new push. In men's fragrance there are a couple in the designer area which are well regarded (with florals notes having significant prominence) and women's perfumes have always had a lot of florals, however the latest trend of gourmands (and to a lesser extent woodies) is going to run out. When it does, people will move back to more traditional perfume areas. If I were a perfume house, I'd have a couple easy wearing, light but interesting florals ready (not the sweet fruity florals of the 2000's).

thanks
    rick

"Oud Sport"

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Well we already have Oud & Oud by Cartier. Maybe... Oud & Oud & Oud

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    I don't think oud is going away. Nor do I think vetiver is going away, bergamot is going away or musc is going away. It's just another note perfumers will use.
    Agree. I don't think it's a "fad" - it's here to stay.

Quote Originally Posted by Casts_by_fly View Post
    The next fad will depend on the next aromachemical coming down the pipeline.
    This. The next "big thing" may be something that no one has ever smelled before.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. by Kilian - Incense Oud
    5. Puredistance - Black
    6. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    7. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    8. Brückner - Aoud 1
    9. Creed - Royal English Leather
    10. House of Matriarch - Blackbird

Celery, it must be your time soon.

Basenotes Plus

Celery Intense Sport- YES! pluran's quote of Turin is priceless!!! Master-Classter may be on to something... Great responses, please keep them coming!

After the Oud fad dies out, then what?
    its not gonna happen, just blends will either get better or worse.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Quote Originally Posted by stuigi View Post
    I am sure some humor awaits, but Black, then Intense, then Oud, then...
    Stuigi, a very good point for discussion indeed. Can't for the life of me believe this hasn't been explicitly discussed here before.

Personally I think we are already in the post-oud era with reformulations of just about everything under the sun. I can't say it's a good thing, as many of you would agree here, but IFRA, EU or otherwise, the future for the time being looks to be "refreshed" fragrances or "botched" in other words.

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    I think sandalwood is due for a (very welcome) comeback now that santalum album is commercially available again. Unless the twits in Brussels hear about it, of course.
    Amen to that!! It is really close (or reasonably close to my nose) to the Mysore stuff, so I hope it really does get used more and more.

Whatever it is, I'm sure it will sell like hotcakes! Always does.

Coriander. I do love a good coriander note.

When Old Spice, Brut, and Speed Stick beginning cashing in on Oud, that's when we'll know we are in the final days of Oud.

Here's a great blend

Mothballs & Oud....

We've had whale "stuff" may be something related to fish (caviar)?
    What do you call people that are afraid of Santa Claus?

Claustrophobic

Basenotes Plus

Stinky aged cheese

Durian

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    ".....IFRA is over. Now that we can stimulate olfactory cells directly with light, there’s no need for chemicals. At least, there hasn't been since 2013, when a group at the Media Lab (Massachusetts Institute of Technology, my current place of work) successfully replicated a convincing smell of bacon by shining light pulses at three different wavelengths.

Three years later the technology was sufficiently advanced that perfumers were fooled about whether they were smelling rose oil or light. MIT Chemistry students were among the first to use the technology to identify and remember molecules by associating them with tunes. My son at age 10 smelled wintergreen in a cough drop and said, “Smoke and mint.” When he and his musically-minded sister arrived at MIT, they soon figured out the smoke and mint chords and learned to play them at different speeds—it turns out arpeggiato is best—until they got wintergreen.

In 2019 at age 20 my son finished a degree in Optogenetic Engineering, while his sister’s third-year assignment at Juilliard was a 3-minute smell piece in which she starts out with a huge cluster chord that smells like wet dog and and one by one removes all the bad notes, ending with Jicky played pianissimo.

To smell a perfume these days, all you do is spray a solution containing about 200 different harmless viruses up your nose. Each virus infects a different type of olfactory receptor and instructs it to make a particular protein, which pumps electric charge across the membrane when exposed to light of a particular color. After about 18 to 24 hours, the proteins are in place.

You insert a small fiber optic into your nostril. It is connected to a small machine containing a dozen tunable lasers, which in turn is connected to your laptop and can read a variety of formats like .olf, .noz and .mp7. (Not familiar with them? You haven’t been paying attention.)

I bought one of the early prototype machines and spent several months just going up and down the scale of molecular vibrations and endlessly playing Vince Guaraldi’s “Cast Your Fate to the Wind” (the second chord smells of lavender soap) on an iPad MIDI keyboard. That was a while ago. Now of course ITunes has a smellable books section, and you can visit the Osmothèque remotely.

But the best things are completely new: the strange, stately harmonies of smell are now explored by a generation of “nazers,” a movement started in Paris around 2020 that soon took over the world. You are all familiar with their work, no need to go into it. I knew they were onto something when I smelled a piece by Calice Becker’s granddaughter that went from bread to nail varnish to curry in the opening bar. I am smelling her second album as I write....."

Luca Turin

Priceless...
    Current Faves:
    Clive Christian X
    Xerjoff Richwood
    Creed Aventus
    Creed Royal Oud
    Mona di Orio Oud
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather
    Tom Ford Oud Wood
    Tom Ford Patchouli Absolu
    Tom Ford Plum Japonais
    Aqua di Parma Colonia Leather

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post

Luca Turin

Nah, his opinion on how fragrances smell mean nothing . . .

Sandalwood for sure.

I think the savory smells of cooked meat: bacon, grilled or pan-seared steak, and the the byproducts of the Maillard reaction to create a new type of "gourmand" fragrance.

Fruity woods!
    Right now there's a lot of spiced woods happening; woods with cardamom, nutmeg, pepper, cinnamon. I think we are going to see an attempt to sell fruits to men, and the way to do that is to blend mango, raspberry, plum and apricot with woods.
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity.
    There is no cure for curiosity."
    - Dorothy Parker

Neroli (just hoping, as I love fragrances with Neroli.

limited editions.

eau de durian with top notes of mangosteen, rambutan and mango.

living in a country with durians, i can tell you the deadliest thing ever is when you have a durian feast with your friends, and then everyone gets into the car

and someone lets out a fart

and you're like whoa nice durian smell

its 2x the methane of a normal fart lol.

there's a chinese legend that says that durians are the poop of a god. Well that makes sense.
    seeking mitsouko 50ml's cap....desperately!!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    I am 100% with this !
    improving olfactory environments one molecule at a time....

Basenotes Plus

Variants on tuberose seem quite popular, also honey.

Leather & random incenses have been much in evidence.

Generic, hugely synthetic drydowns, maybe?

(Sorry about the last one, sample fatigue).
    Last edited by lpp; 21st July 2014 at 07:55 PM.
    Directory contribution link:-
    http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php

Basenotes Plus

Poppy seed, probably. Or weed. Lol.

Basenotes Plus

Saffron.

Hydroponically grown oud?

Whatever note best panders towards the Chinese market.

Basenotes Plus

Why the Chinese market?

Why the Chinese market?
    Well, all these oud releases aren't released primarily for the sake of the Western consumer...

If most Western production/manufacturing wasn't moved to China, it probably wouldn't be the merging market that it is now. As for Western corporations and their ill-judged long-term outlooks... I won't go there...

So, yes, notes that attract Chinese consumers will be the next big thing. Couple Chinese cultural tastes with IFRA/European restrictions, and the future of perfumery may be very different to how it was or currently is (read: light and transparent).

Anyway, at some point there'll be a petroleum shortage crisis. As a result, fragrance houses will have to plan ahead and look out for the next burgeoning economy, where consumers (especially those with more money than sense) will gladly buy their half-baked IFRA regulated swill, housed in ostentatious packaging.

The art of perfumery has been on it's last legs for quite some time. Long live the profit margin! Hurrah!

Dependent

I hope more orris finds its way into men's perfume
    Seasonal rotation:

Original Santal
    Apple Brandy
    Tuscan Leather
    Silver Mountain Water
    Lyric Man

Whatever the popular ingredient might be, great perfumes are unlikely without oakmoss and one of the four noble essences - high quality real sandalwood. Oud is great but most oud fragrances aren't. Someone mentioned weed. A lot of the strains are extremely pungent and smell phenomenal. They won't take the place of oakmoss and sandalwood, they're a long way from working in the same way as those two, but people could at least use higher concentrations of them to add a little interest. Amazing names for so many of those strains as well. :-)
    Last edited by pluran; 23rd July 2014 at 05:01 AM.

I think white amber will become popular. Its not really known well yet in this part of the world.
    It smells heavenly…

Basenotes Plus

They'll start making fruity oud combos... some have started already. The sub-genre shall be known as "Froud." You read it first here, folks.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by juanderer View Post
    They'll start making fruity oud combos... some have started already. The sub-genre shall be known as "Froud." You read it first here, folks.
    Or maybe not first, or second or...
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/382...own?highlight=

Why the Chinese market?
    Have you been living under a rock stu?

The New World Order is China.

Nia hao

for swap/sale:

Blog Entries

I predict more and more pepper as a trumped up base note. We're already seeing it everywhere and in a multitude of 'colors'.

There will be a new chemical of an uber clean body note in the vein of Iso E but much, much cleaner. It will be for the post perfume era to disguise the smell of a real somebody when you cannot wear perfume in public any more.

Quote Originally Posted by mumsy View Post
    There will be a new chemical of an uber clean body note in the vein of Iso E but much, much cleaner. It will be for the post perfume era to disguise the smell of a real somebody when you cannot wear perfume in public any more.
    I completely agree. But only after completely exploiting the Middle-Eastern and Chinese markets. Actually, this would be the next logical step, after the Western fragrance industry tailors their creations more with Chinese consumers in mind.

Compressed air in a can .. Brand name "simplicity"
    I can see the ads now and the line at the registers at dept stores. Tag line " the smell of world peace..."
    OFF SITE SALES, DECANTS ---Dior,Chanel MFK, MOLECULE 01* VINTAGE ANTAEUS*
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=499

well a point as has been brought up, where are the emerging markets happening? China, Russia, Middle East. We're seeing the oud spice and leather, so I predict the next move with be clean light transparent gender neutral things with tea, flowers, white musks, etc. Guys like Kilian's Asia Tales line. Those sort of corporate driven niche houses are seeing where the market is moving and making scents with a clear strategy in mind.
    Tom Ford Splits!!!!
    Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Noir de Noir, Oud Wood
    Plum Japonais,
    Lavender Palm, Tobacco Oud, Café Rose, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

I noticed a suspicious increase of rhubarb notes in the past year! And also lentiscus... as if some new (artificial) ways to build green accords are being explored - that's just an impression, though.
    I wished they stopped messing around with plain synthetic renditions of "real" materials and start using synthetics openly and creatively - like they've stopped doing basically short after 2000 (anything interesting after Cuiron and a couple of Costume National? The "creative synthetic stuff" we've today is Antoine Lie throwing aldehydes everywhere like The Simpsons' cat lady).
    My current top five:

Tiffany - Tiffany for Men (vtg)
    Yves Saint Laurent - M7 (vtg)
    Fendi - Theorema
    Tom Ford - Tobacco Vanille
    Gucci - Gucci pour Homme

My sales thread | YSL M7 AS, Ungaro II EDT, Gucci Envy for Men AS, Signoricci EDT, Capucci PH EDT, Montana PH EDT...

My fragrance reviews | Ye Olde Civet Cat

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Maillard View Post
    I wished they stopped messing around with plain synthetic renditions of "real" materials and start using synthetics openly and creatively
    Hear, hear. Don't say do if you don't or don't if you do. Have it like it is…..

I foresee watering down of everything. Also I think that we will see more Parfum/EDP versions in men designers. Usually just EDP formulations of their old scents for much more $$$ (you can see this trend with Bleu De Chanel EDP, Fahrenheit EDP, Dior Homme EDP,...). I also foresee huge amount of fruity/vegetable parfums based on high quality essential oils from overstock of fruits and vegetables that EU will have since Russia banned them.
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme

Seeing as the 'flavours' have been getting increasingly dark and heavy, I reckon Tar will be the next one.
    Dark and heavy.

On saying that, I remember my dad's cabinet back when queen Victoria was a young whippersnapper had some smellums that I thought were cooler than penguin poo!
    Hai Karate, always nicked a splash of that before school, no wonder I never had a date!
    Drakkar noir, way ahead of its time with matt black bottle,
    Old spice, made you smell like a super dude f@&king surfer man
    And the old favourite, BRUT, just coz I wanted to smell like a locker room full of sweaty jock straps!

Maybe the perfumes will follow fashion trends and come back full circle into fashion again for a BRUT revival.....

Black Currant. This one cracks me up, because it turns to cat pee on so many. This could lead to a major schism between haters and lovers in the community. Civil war will be next. Gulliver's travels will be a but a harbinger of the blackcurrant yes, blackcurrant absolutely not riots in our large cities.

fish & chips?

Basenotes Plus

Feces extrait.

As unimaginative it may sound, either the marketing/overexposure/(re-) discovering of an entirely new note/genre (perhaps already present in the fragrance world, but not a fad yet) or the return of a previously popular fad (e.g., but not limited to, powerhouse, gourmand, male and unisex floral, aquatics etc.) with even greater popularity and preeminence.

Peanut butter.
    Last edited by kalli; 22nd September 2014 at 09:12 AM.