Code of Conduct
Just Starting Out Sponsors

Default Marc Jacobs Men - Fig!!

Over the past year I have become obsessed with fragrance. My family would definitely describe me as "neurotic"about colognes now lol. Anyway...
    I used to wear Gentlemen Only everyday until I smelt Marc Jacobs men and became OBSESSED! I love everything about this cologne. Its like my soul in fragrance form. What I love most is the woody, creamy almost coconut vibe I get from - what my prior and extensive research tells me is - the fig.

My question is...is there anything similar to this cologne? Unfortunately, longevity is weak and sillage is virtually non-existent . no matter how much I spray this scent seems to become a skin scent within 1 hour.

Default Re: Marc Jacobs Men - Fig!!

Welcome to You! Perhaps you might want to try:

Philosykos by Diptyque
    Jardins de Kerylos by Parfumerie Generale
    Figuier by James Heeley
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

and L'Artisan Premier Figuer (plus the Extreme version).

+ 1 to Diptyque Philosykos, it's what you want. (Also try the new EdParfum version)
    Tom Ford Splits!!!! - Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir - PATCHOULI ABSOLU
    Plum Japonais, Italian Cypress, Neroli Portofino, Costa Azzura, Azure Lime, Champacca Absolute

HARD TO FIND - Lavender Palm, Arabian Wood, and AMBER ABSOLUTE, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    and L'Artisan Premier Figuer (plus the Extreme version).

+ 1 to Diptyque Philosykos, it's what you want. (Also try the new EdParfum version)
    Anywhere I can sample/buy either of these in Toronto? I can't seem to find it anywhere in this city.

Philosykos or Figuier. I enjoy Marc Jacobs for Men, but once I tried Philosykos and revisited it I agreed with Luca Turin's judgement of it as a "sad fig."

I really, really want to smell it now :P
    Its so expensive though and I can't seem to find any retailer that sells it in Toronto, Ontario.
    One question though...is it's "green" fig scent like some reviews say? That's not what I want. I need it creamy lol

IMHO the best creamy delightful fig is Armani Prive's Figuer Eden! Try it if you can... And they see whether you think it's FBW. (P.s. It is FBW + back-up worthy for me)

Quote Originally Posted by Klaaon View Post
    IMHO the best creamy delightful fig is Armani Prive's Figuer Eden!
    This is another very good one.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Hey, a Torontonian! Cool. Well Holt Renfrew on Bloor has Diptyque so they'll have Philosykos EdT and EdP. Ask for Karina the sales rep. And Sephora just started carrying L'Artisan, though limited SKUs. Our branches (Eatons?) might have them, but it could also be USA only at this point. Otherwise go past Pir at 15 Bellair and the have some L'Artisan. Franchie is the owner.

Tell them Daniel sent you and you'll be alright.
    Otherwise just message me for a coffee and I'll bring samples of all of these.
    Tom Ford Splits!!!! - Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir - PATCHOULI ABSOLU
    Plum Japonais, Italian Cypress, Neroli Portofino, Costa Azzura, Azure Lime, Champacca Absolute

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    Hey, a Torontonian! Cool. Well Holt Renfrew on Bloor has Diptyque so they'll have Philosykos EdT and EdP. Ask for Karina the sales rep. And Sephora just started carrying L'Artisan, though limited SKUs. Our branches (Eatons?) might have them, but it could also be USA only at this point. Otherwise go past Pir at 15 Bellair and the have some L'Artisan. Franchie is the owner.

Tell them Daniel sent you and you'll be alright.
    Otherwise just message me for a coffee and I'll bring samples of all of these.
    Thanks to you, I was finally able to smell the highly acclaimed Philosykos!!!
    I stopped by the Holts today and it was right there in the front almost waiting for me to smell it.
    It would have been a blind buy had it not been for your suggestion.

The Verdict:

I can see why this fragrance is so well liked. Its very "fresh" and "crisp". For me however - maybe I am smelling my arm to closely, but it is DEFINITELY a green fig; green until it is almost bitter lol.
    I much much much prefer the Marc Jacobs to this its more creamy IMO.

Interestingly, I bought a cheap solid fragrance online "Pacifica Mediterranean Fig" and it is almost the same as Philosykos but at a FRACTION of the price.

Basenotes Plus

$$$ - Figuer Eden
    $$ - Caligna

shoot I forgot to add, Holts also has the Armani Privees and they have that Fig Eden one, plus they'll have Aqua Di Parma Fico D'Amalfi.

but basically I think of MJ as a wet leafy earthy fig, whereas Philosykos starts out green and woody and mossy then moves to a creamy coconut then the fig. Not the EdT and EdP smell different.

And then the two L'Artisan Figuer and Premier Figuer which you can find.

and for Heeley's Figuer go to Nomad on Bloor, or there are a couple other stores that carry his stuff. I think Pir might even have it, and check Jacob & Sebastian, Gravity Pope, etc...