Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Chandler Burr's Untitled S02E03

[QUOTE=Lorien;3223703]
    Quote Originally Posted by chandlerburr View Post
    Lorien, you're breaking my heart. I know it's tempting—and very fun—to “parse notes,” to deconstruct, to break down, to ID each piece. But, Lorien, you can't know how glad I am that your problem is deconstructing these works because the point of the Untitled Series is, precisely, not doing that. The purpose is to construct each work, to present it as a whole work and to have it experienced as a whole work. Please, I ask everyone, although it is legitimate to ID pieces of the machine when relevant—and I'll tell you right now that Calone is not in fact what you're smelling; it's another hugely influential synthetic—the “when relevant” is absolute: only in the service of understanding the work as a whole. Please think about each episode as a whole, as you would a Hopper painting or a Gehry building or a Green Day song. Describe what it does to you as a whole work. The ingredients don't have the impact on you. The work does. You don't wear the ingredients. You wear the work. As a whole.
    Mr. Burr --
    This is the mystery of the thing .... In my mind, I'm doing just what you want me to do. I am experiencing the Untitled ones as a whole, but how I make sense of what I am "seeing" is to look at the individual brush strokes, the individual colors, and then step back to experience the "scent painting".

In order for me to make sense of something I've never smelled before, and to gain a deeper appreciation of a perfume, I deconstruct it and then let it "fall together" again.

I think I react this way EXACTLY because I tend to do this with art, music and cooking. I appreciate the whole ---- but I appreciate the whole MORE if I look at the sum of the parts. "The whole is greater than the sum of its parts". A truism, but sometimes the parts make the whole more special. Right?

Thanks so much for embarking on the Untitled Series. I find the experience worthwhile and fascinating.

Mr. Burr,
    Wow, you managed to satisfy the mystery lovers (no way we could guess that ending) and everyone else too!!!!! I am very pleased with your reveal. Just nice, and very well done. I am impressed.

Please forgive the trying to parse the notes. One can do both....see it as a piece of music and try to guess the notes too. The two are not mutually exclusive. Trying to guess if the soprano is hitting a b does not take away from the beauty of the aria, no?

I for one am very pleased. Thank you for a very interesting experience!!!

I did not see this one coming! The whole family was pretty amazed. We'd never have paid attention to Drakkar Essence, as it's sold at Macy's and we don't generally perfume shop there. None of us had smelled Drakkar Noir. And though I have a huge scent library with naturals and synthetics, I don't have any dihydromercenol (sp?), so I did not recognize it except to say "laundry detergent" (though we use scent-free, ha!) and figure it was some sort of cleaning aromachemical. That said, 03 is a wonderful creation and the bottle will be empty soon! This was a lot of fun.

As a PS, I can see why I thought of the University of California San Diego's library as "companion architecture" to 03. If you Google an image of it, let me know if you agree.

Elf - Thanks for the idea. That library building is amazing! Very angular and spare. It could serve as "companion architecture" to S02E03 - (now known as Drakkar Essence)

I should be wearing S02E04 today as a "testing" experience. However, I am still drawn to S02E03. This is a very strange situation --- because 04 is completely "Me" and 03 is not. But I want to wear 03!
    Totally weird.........but wonderful.
    Last edited by Lorien; 21st August 2014 at 01:05 PM.

Basenotes Institution

For a while there, when I went with the assumption that this was a flanker that had already been released, I thought it was Polo Sport. Which was why I asked Burr, above, if "seaweed" was a note and if the perfumer (Harry Fremont) first name had 5 letters. It's been ages since I smelled PS.

Most of my knowledge about aromachemicals in fragrances comes from reading Burr, Turin & other bloggers and Basenoters. There's not many aromachemicals that I can 'detect' - just a handful. However the name 'dihydromyrcenol' reminded me of a blogger, Denyse from Grain de Musc, who mentioned it as a note that she hates & she mentioned smelling it in Fourreau Noir by Serge Lutens - a scent that walks that line between detergent-and-fougere. I, too, struggled with Fourreau Noir but later on realized that I actually enjoy that fresh, citrusy, metal-clang of dihydromyrcenol & how it surrounds the sweet, burnt, licorice-y lavender note with the tonka bean. Whereas, in Drakkar Essence, the dihydromyrcenol just bangs around a lot and doesn't really brush up against other notes I enjoy.

I do think it was an AWESOME idea to give us a 'blind' sniff on a scent that hadn't been released yet (I can now tell all of my friends that I was given access to a scent before it went on the market - this will make great water cooler conversation!).

I must admit, Michel Girard (the perfumer) has not done one fragrance that I actually own. I see he was one of the perfumers for One Million by Paco Rabanne, so I must imagine he's a big draw, as that scent was very popular. Judged by the marketing and ad copy (below), it seems like Guy Laroche was definitely going after the young guy crowd (that is Carolina Panthers quarterback Cam Newton):

According to Now Smell This, the notes I could see are: spearmint, lavender, sage, dry woods, musk, tonka bean, grapefruit & white musk.

There is also a thread, already on BN, for Drakkar Essence - here: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384...ce-FINALLY-LOL
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by Perfume_Addict View Post
    I wish I had waited for S02E04 - it seems more likely to be a feminine. I know most of us have moved beyond gender-typing in scents, but when class of scents is embraced by a generation of young men, it becomes identifiable with them. This is the scent my 30-something asian coworkers leave lingering in the elevator.

If anyone wants to play, you can have my bottle for the cost of shipping.
    While I didn't include it in my post, Drakkar Noir is what I was thinking of when I posted this. But it was so unthinkable to me that anyone would want to resurrect it, that I was embarrassed to say so. IMO, its the Frankenstein of fragrances.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by Perfume_Addict View Post
    While I didn't include it in my post, Drakkar Noir is what I was thinking of when I posted this. But it was so unthinkable to me that anyone would want to resurrect it, that I was embarrassed to say so. IMO, its the Frankenstein of fragrances.
    I gave my bottle (still with a lot of juice in it) to a friend of mine who loves fresh/aquatic scents. He said to me, before I even told him the backstory, "it smells like Drakkar". I was flabbergasted.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle