Code of Conduct

Thread: Butyric Acid

Basenotes Plus

Default Butyric Acid

Hey, I need some Butyric acid for my shelf.

Problem is that my use will be so tiny, since you don't actually put much into anything, that I'm struggling with what to buy?

No one is selling small amounts. So I can buy 1 kilo from SAFC for $60, or I can buy 10 Kilos for $115 total (plus shipping) from Vigon.

But I can't for the life of me expect to use 10 kilos of Butyric acid for the rest of my entire career. hahahaha

But neither purchase amounts to very much money, so what to do...?

I can get a one ounce sample from Vigon of course. *MAYBE* that's all I'll need for many years too?

Of course I don't want to abuse sampling from Vigon, but I'm trying to think what would be wise to do,
    Any thoughts?

Is there something productive that I can do with 9.5 kilos of Butyric acid that would warrant buying a massive 10 kilos of the stuff?

PK
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    http://www.PKPERFUMES.com
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Default Re: Butyric Acid

Paul proxisante carries it in small quantities and it is not expensive.

If Proxisante isn't an option for you I'd go with the sample from Vigon. Save money and space(!).
    I am not sure if butyric acid can go rancid, but its quality won't improve while sitting on your shelf for decades.
    liaison carbone
    RAW MATERIALS FOR PERFUMERY

Quote Originally Posted by Graphite View Post
    I am not sure if butyric acid can go rancid
    I'm not sure it could smell worse if it did!

Quote Originally Posted by Odeon View Post
    I'm not sure it could smell worse if it did!
    I think Paul should buy one kg after all and test it for us!
    (Maybe he can speed up the process by leaving the cap open?)
    liaison carbone
    RAW MATERIALS FOR PERFUMERY

Good luck with Proxisante..

I really can't imagine you would want a kilo or more of that stuff around. I worked in a chemical stock room and they had it on the shelf. It was in a bottle, inside another bottle, and wrapped in heavy duty plastic. And I could STILL smell it walking around in that area. It smells HORRIFIC.

Basenotes Plus

mmm, Thanks Gecko and everyone, will buy from Proxisante, so far, have yet to buy from them, so time to explore their offerings...

PK
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes
    In addition to Our own PK line, we make Custom Bespoke Perfumes, perfumes for Entrepreneurs needing scents for perfumes or products, Custom Wedding Perfumes, and even Special Event Perfumes.

Butyric Acid, found in rancid butter (hence the name) and in over ripe fruits. A 0.1% solution, or less, can improve the natural quality of fruit fragrances. A kilo of neat acid would make 1000 kilos of useful stuff.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by David Ruskin View Post
    Butyric Acid, found in rancid butter (hence the name) and in over ripe fruits. A 0.1% solution, or less, can improve the natural quality of fruit fragrances. A kilo of neat acid would make 1000 kilos of useful stuff.

:-) Yes, so my dilemma about buying some ... But Proxisante has it in small Qty, So puzzle and quandry solved,... :-)

I've learned a few lessons from buying kilos of Isophorone and Phenol, even though cheap, and thinking a bit more about usability... :-)

PK
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes

Basenotes Plus

OK, I wimped out and just got a sample from Vigon.

It was clearly the *easiest* thing to do...

Diluted to 1% in DPG.

I wasn't the WORST thing I've opened inside the house, but I'm glad I can't smell it anymore either...

So now it's sitting in my intended formula, that 1% solution at 0.32%
    So that's two drops of 1% into 10ml of concentrate stock.

Does that seem about right David?

PK
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes

Dependent

I have the butter CO2 from Eden and it smells like light, creamy, soured, butter... just a thought for those who want that note but might not want to use butyric acid or can't find it.
    Last edited by JEBeasley; 13th August 2014 at 11:53 PM.
    Justin E. Beasley

Basenotes Plus

I also have the Butter CO2, and heavily diluted, it smells like butter, yes, and may yet use it, but wanted to try this first, since it came up in my research for the project target.

Hey, It's not like I'm likely going to run out of Butyric acid anytime soon, my one ounce sample will likely last the rest of my life, if some one wants some, and they already have a package going out from me, just speak up and I can send a vile vial....

PK
    Paul Kiler
    PK Perfumes

Quote Originally Posted by pkiler View Post
    OK, I wimped out and just got a sample from Vigon.

It was clearly the *easiest* thing to do...

Diluted to 1% in DPG.

I wasn't the WORST thing I've opened inside the house, but I'm glad I can't smell it anymore either...

So now it's sitting in my intended formula, that 1% solution at 0.32%
    So that's two drops of 1% into 10ml of concentrate stock.

Does that seem about right David?

PK
    Smell it and see. Sounds right to me, but as you know Paul, the amount of something that works in one formula may not work in another.

Quote Originally Posted by JEBeasley View Post
    I have the butter CO2 from Eden and it smells like light, creamy, soured, butter... just a thought for those who want that note but might not want to use butyric acid or can't find it.
    Butter CO2, from memory is very expensive. Whilst it contains some Butyric Acid, it contains many other chemicals too. The effects will not be the same.

If I remember correctly, ethyl butyrate can be synthesized from butyric acid and ethanol using an acid catalyst. This would explain the residual amount of butyric acid found when you buy ethyl butyrate. Im not suggesting you make your own ethyl butyrate..plus,its cheap enough anyway.