Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Junkie

Default Azzaro Visit? Opinions of currrent basenoters are needed!

Just read through some ancient threads on the this fragrance - dating back as far as 2006 with posts by many people who are no longer active on these boards. So this got me wondering what does the current basenotes generation think of it?

The comments that originally got me interested in this scent had to do with claims of striking similarities to Gucci Rush. Also people were calling Visit a cedar bomb, which is EXACTLY what I am looking for.

On the other hand, some comments bring out skepticism in me, implying that Azzaro Visit smells like... curry. I do not enjoy that smell at all...

Thoughts?

Default Re: Azzaro Visit? Opinions of currrent basenoters are needed!

Sounds like it would come across as too "old" for you. Now if I were you I'd consider getting some cedar essential oil and mixing up my own scent.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Sounds like it would come across as too "old" for you.
    ???

That is a presumptuous statement Bigsly

It's a nice woody incense, albeit pretty synthetic. No curry smell to my nose. I really like the sprayer design.

Another cheap cedar bomb you might try - Quorum Silver.

One of my favorites. I have expensive stuff... and it's as good as any of them. Cedar is great - and lasts all day.
    Signature Rotation: A* Men, Pure Havane, Dunhill Pursuit, Varvatos Artisian, Guerlain Vetiver

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyP View Post
    ???

That is a presumptuous statement Bigsly
    You asked for thoughts and there was very little information provided, so any response would have to be either presumptuous or irrelevant, it would seem. LOL. When you talked about wanting opinions from active members and mentioned reviews in which it was said to have a curry quality, that suggested to me that you feared strong spices in an "old" kind of composition. Needless to say, I did give you what I thought was the best advice, which is that if you just want cedar, you can get cedar essential oil at good prices and quality (at places like bulkapothecary.com). Good luck.

Basenotes Junkie

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    You asked for thoughts and there was very little information provided, so any response would have to be either presumptuous or irrelevant, it would seem. LOL. When you talked about wanting opinions from active members and mentioned reviews in which it was said to have a curry quality, that suggested to me that you feared strong spices in an "old" kind of composition. Needless to say, I did give you what I thought was the best advice, which is that if you just want cedar, you can get cedar essential oil at good prices and quality (at places like bulkapothecary.com). Good luck.
    I see what you mean now..

Yeah, I was just saying that there are hundreds of new members here since 2006, that's all )

I have not ventured into essential oils territory yet, but will be definitely looking into that at some point.

For me it's a fresh smelling woody scent and very inoffensive.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

It's not just cedar, there is definitely some incense in there, among other things. I agree, it is somewhat linear.. But a great scent all the way. It's one of my most complemented frags. I have cooked a few one note fragrances.. You are gonna need more than cedar essential oil to do visit.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Tapatalk 4 Beta

Quote Originally Posted by badnaam View Post
    It's not just cedar, there is definitely some incense in there, among other things. I agree, it is somewhat linear.. But a great scent all the way. It's one of my most complemented frags. I have cooked a few one note fragrances.. You are gonna need more than cedar essential oil to do visit.

If one reads the reviews here you can get an idea of what to mix together:

http://www.bulkapothecary.com/essent...essential-oil/

The thing is, so many people start thread saying that they want to smell just like X, yet then it turns out that they want something that one might call a perfume, and at that point it's impossible to say, unless the person is much more specific.

Quote Originally Posted by badnaam View Post

If one reads the reviews here one can get an idea of what to expect:

http://www.bulkapothecary.com/essent...essential-oil/

Even more to the point, on the Fir Needle EO page, there is this:

"I love to mix this with cedar wood, rosemary and tea tree for a wonderful outdoorsy blend that smells clean and woodsy. We call it Wildwood and like the other reviewer stated, it is a good substitute for pine so your soap doesn't smell like pine scented cleaners."

The thing is, so many people start a thread saying that they want to smell just like X, yet then it turns out that they want something that one might call a perfume, and at that point it's impossible to say, unless the person is much more specific.

Basenotes Plus

ZERO curry smell to me. More importantly, have YOU tried it? It shouldn't matter what the rest of the world think if you don't like it.

Love it ! Probably one of the most long - lasting scents, at least on my skin. Quorum Silver is another great option, albeit Azzaro Visit has better projection and longevity.
    The Dreamer from Versace: what does this scent have that is so alluring and enticing towards the opposite sex ?

It's an Annick Menardo creation....how could it possibly be bad?!

I just bought a 50ml blind because it was so cheap and of course the many positive reviews.

Maybe this has been reformulated because all I get so far is a light cedar-incense smell that is very close to the skin with average longevity.
    I have to get used to it maybe though, as I had the same experience in the beginning with Encre Noire, Rocky Mountain Wood and Givenchy Vetyver which were at first (first wearings) very very weak to my nose with poor sillage and longevity but are now considered by me as solid fragrances (especially Encre Noire).
    My Top '10' : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Loewe: Esencia/Pour Homme/Solo/7
    - Davidoff: Leather Blend Edp
    - Dior: Eau Sauvage Parfum
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Guerlain: Vetiver
    - Van Cleef & Arpels: Pour Homme
    - Hermes: Terre d'Hermes
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraicheur)

Basenotes Junkie

Thanks for the opinions. I guess no one really touched on the Gucci Rush similarity aspect.

By the way, re-visiting CDG Wonderwood again today and wearing it at work (away from the nose area, sprayed on forearms) and about an hour in - probably the closest thing to Rush that I will come across ever.. Plus it has some noticeable oud, spiced with black pepper. Real happy to own it.

I also went ahead and bought Azzaro Visit anyway. I mean its only $18 on Amazon. As long as it dont smell like curry, I WILL like it =))

Basenotes Junkie

*Update*

Well, I got it blind. It is different from what I thought it would be, but is interesting nonetheless. Besides, I only paid like $18 for it.

Drydown is the best part IMO, very dry and woody. The incense and cedar are not as prominent however.

Lastly, it bears almost no resemblence to Gucci Rush. At least not the way I remember that scent. To this day, Wonderwood remains the closest thing to Rush, but Azzaro Visit is not a bad acquisition in itself.

I blind-bought a 100ml bottle for just <$30 sometime ago and still think it's great; I rate it 4/5 stars relative to the other hundreds of bottles in my inventory. I get:
    - no curry sensation, but reading that others do does not surprise me. In my experience, I've read many reviews where people use curry as a deragatory catch-all for any of the southeast asian spices commonly used in the myriad recipes of curry that either don't suit them or come off a bit too strong to them. The nutmeg is definitely there and cardamom and ginger as well to a lesser degree. I'm not one to call that curry, then again I like it.
    - no Gucci Rush for Men association so much, but reading that others do does not surprise me. I'd group Visit along with GpH I, Dirty English... the more spicy, peppery, cedar, incense but not too far removed from the rather spicy, cedar, sandalwood (album spicatum), incense of Rush, Tam Dao and others.

For those, like me, who like this kind of stuff this is some pretty good and economical stuff to like.
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

I never thought it smelled like Rush to me especially on the initial notes, but perhaps somewhere on the later notes, but the incense replaces the woods in Rush. I've heard that the newer reformulations of Visit smell a bit more airy, but even then I've not drawn that similarity to Gucci Rush yet.

Glad I still own Gucci Rush, so far only Sartoriale Pal Zileri for Men has come close. And it can be found for pretty cheap. I think there's a initial citrus note that throws Sartoriale a bit askew from Rush, but then it goes away and it's almost like Rush to me.