Code of Conduct

Default Luca Turin on Lampblack (and others)

Although I'm still scratching my head over the whole Korrigan as "masterpiece" thing, I'm thrilled to see Bruno Fazzolari's exceptional Lampblack get some attention. I tried this at the Institute for Art and Olfaction Awards earlier in the year where it was a finalist and I've been a fan ever since. It's a fantastic scent, so it's great to see it get some recognition, but it's also very telling to see how it fared to other releases placed under the Turin microscope this time around.

Congrats, Bruno! Well-deserved!

http://arabia.style.com/beauty/beaut...de-guerlain/#9

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Luca Turin on Lampblack (and others)

Thanks for posting, deadidol - and congrats to all concerned.
    Directory contribution link:-
    http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php

I must, MUST try Lampblack.

OK, just ordered the "Discovery Set".
    Last edited by HORNS; 30th July 2014 at 11:04 PM.

Thanks for the info. I've never tried the line, and there's certainly always room for a good vetiver, smoky or otherwise.

In the Saab review, I liked the remark about the comicity of selling oud to the people who invented perfumery. Exactly as I feel about the whole trend.

cacio

Thanks for sharing this interesting info.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Thanks. Always love those great reviews.

Really looking forward to trying the Bruno Fazzolari (and Francis Kurkdjian's Essence No. 4: Oud for Elie Saab).

He liked it back in 1993, but it's also great to see Luca giving a nod to one of greatest masculines of all time: Balenciaga pour Homme by one of the greatest perfumers of all time Gerard Anthony.
    Last edited by pluran; 31st July 2014 at 05:16 AM.

I had no idea Balenciaga pour homme had oud in it.

Quote Originally Posted by HankHarvey View Post
    I had no idea Balenciaga pour homme had oud in it.
    Same here but it does have a boatload of notes. I agree in that it is one of the greatest masculines of all time. With all the restrictions in perfumery these days it's great to smell Balenciaga pour homme in all it's glory. They don't make them like this anymore.

Sounds cool.

Great name for a 'smoky' too

Lampblack is definitely an interesting fragrance and I'm happy to have it in my collection. Personally, I think it's a nice (light) use of nagarmotha; I didn't really find it too smokey in nature. In fact, I think it would benefit from some more smoke...but I like my fragrances smokey. If you want something fresh-inky-smelling outside of your local department store, look no further than Lampblack. Good value at the price point as well.
    Last edited by rynegne; 31st July 2014 at 06:39 PM.

Apologies - didn't see that 2 others have already brought this up...

Can owners & better noses out here explain this from LT's article? I have used Balenciaga PH for years, own few vintage bottles currently & it's my SOTD as well - BUT, oud??? I totally can't find even a pinch of it in this - any others with me??? I believe LT is also a forum member, wish he can elaborate on this further...

"And, lastly, the “modern” ouds, going back to the spectacular Balenciaga Pour Homme (1990) and, famously, M7 (2002). These are compositions in which this difficult material, precariously poised between incense and musty cellar, is slowly finding its place."

The Bruno Fazzolari sounds pretty good.
    Last edited by sjg3839; 31st July 2014 at 06:37 PM.

@badarun I agree. always took Balenciaga PH to be a huge patchouli, but there was something weird about it that I attributed to a very complex composition. It was when I read that Michael Edwards listed it in his database as one of the very first fragrances containing oud, that this made sense in retrospect. Michael tends to get his information straight from the source, and I believe him. There is indeed something animalic and cold about BPH's patchouli. I now wonder if Morabito's Or Black also used oud, and Djedi and...and...

Quote Originally Posted by luca turin View Post
    @badarun I agree. always took Balenciaga PH to be a huge patchouli, but there was something weird about it that I attributed to a very complex composition. It was when I read that Michael Edwards listed it in his database as one of the very first fragrances containing oud, that this made sense in retrospect. Michael tends to get his information straight from the source, and I believe him. There is indeed something animalic and cold about BPH's patchouli. I now wonder if Morabito's Or Black also used oud, and Djedi and...and...
    You've opened up a new search criteria for me & others I guess - "vintages with oud"...

And just as soon as Guerlain have a hit with LPRN Couture, they fire another blank with Limon Verde. Ah well, they can't all be winners, eh?

Basenotes Institution

I had heard good things about the Ellie Saab elsewhere, it's nice to know that Turin agrees.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Such a unique perfume.
    There aren't very many grapefruit based perfumes, and even then the majority of them are harsh & bad-synthetic smelling.
    This a Miller Harris' Le Papmlemousse are the two best grapefruit perfumes.

Lampblack is a blend of shards of grapefruit, viscous vetiver & glowing benzoin.

Truly the definition of niche perfumery.

for swap/sale:

Love it and the new AU Dela offering both very potent and eye opening.