Code of Conduct

Default First World Problem

I'll start with a bit of background and then pose my question. I am reaching the limit for display of my fragrances in my recently redesigned bathroom. At approximately 140 bottles I will try to be content with my collection. Now to the specifics of my dilemma. I have room for five more bottles and I'm trying to decide what to get. I've already ordered by Killian Apple Brandy, and Creed's Vetiver Geranium, that leaves three more to choose. If I weren't so lazy I would attempt to list all the frags that I have, but I thought another approach might be easier and more interesting. I am curious what an ultra niche top ten list would look like from the well traveled Basenotes noses. Only requirement is nothing over $1,000 for 50ml. Hopefully, that won't be too much of a restriction. Thank in advance for the suggestions.

Default Re: First World Problem

$1000? Apart from oud oils, I'm not sure there's anything > $1000. Therefore:

JAR Eclair (or Bolt of Lightning): striking tuberose. Most other JARs would fit the bill (eg Jardenia cheese gardenia, Jarling heliotrope bomb, etc). This may actually get close to the limit, I believe it's under $1000, but only for 30ml. But it's very concentrated, and you only need a drop. The other JARs should be below the limit.

Parfums MDCI: Enlevement au serail (sadly discontinued) or Promesse de l'aube. Superclassical.

Lutens Sarrasins; one always needs a Lutens paris exclusive.

Malle Portrait of a lady: sheer power.

Amouage Gold man: power oriental. (but subject to testing. Amouage has reformulated most of the stuff).

Of course, most BNers would not understand your problems. You can do what museums do. Keep a core of best of lot on constant display, and rotate the others, periodically moving some pieces into storage and bringing out others.

cacio

Almost impossible for me but I'll give it a shot:

Malle - Carnal Flower

Clive Christian - No.1

Mona Di Orio - Oud

MDCI - Invasion Barbare

LM - Hard Leather

Cartier - L'Heure Fougueuse

Franck Boclet - Incense

Heeley - Sel Marin

Montale - Santal De Mysore

Olivier Durbano - Black Tourmaline
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

What does "ultra niche" mean?

I would add:

Stephane Humbert Lucas 777 - Black Gemstone
    O'Driu - Supercilium
    Creed - Spice & Wood
    Xerjoff - Fars
    Neela Vermieire Creations - Trayee
    Neela Vermieire Creations - Bombay Bling
    Serge Lutens - Encens et Lavande
    April Aromatics - Precious Woods
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. by Kilian - Incense Oud
    5. Puredistance - Black
    6. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    7. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    8. Brückner - Aoud 1
    9. Creed - Royal English Leather
    10. House of Matriarch - Blackbird

I just clicked on your thread and read your post.
    What a waste of time.
    --- If your dog thinks you are the greatest person
    in the world, don't seek a second opinion ---

Snaggy1, that hurt.

I would define "ultra niche" as an uncommon niche, harder to find.

Cacio, rotating what is on display would be dangerous because there would be no limit to the number of frags that I acquire.

Quote Originally Posted by sophisticatedscent View Post
    I'll start with a bit of background and then pose my question. I am reaching the limit for display of my fragrances in my recently redesigned bathroom. At approximately 140 bottles I will try to be content with my collection. Now to the specifics of my dilemma. I have room for five more bottles and I'm trying to decide what to get. I've already ordered by Killian Apple Brandy, and Creed's Vetiver Geranium, that leaves three more to choose. If I weren't so lazy I would attempt to list all the frags that I have, but I thought another approach might be easier and more interesting. I am curious what an ultra niche top ten list would look like from the well traveled Basenotes noses. Only requirement is nothing over $1,000 for 50ml. Hopefully, that won't be too much of a restriction. Thank in advance for the suggestions.
    Dude, your asking about high end frags and you store them all in your BATHROOM?! Tsk! Tsk! That just wont do!!! I wouldn't do that to my collection...and most of them are under $40 a bottle. I'll have to remember not to swap with you!(not that I'd have anything of interest to you anyway.lol)

Quote Originally Posted by bigbz View Post
    Dude, your asking about high end frags and you store them all in your BATHROOM?!
    Eh ... I didn't want to be the first to say it, but...

Are you sure you want to display them? The last thing I'd want to do to my bottles is leave them exposed to light, and my collection is less than 1/3 the size of yours. I could see someone saving empty bottles for a display, but not bottles to wear. I have a wine rack to display bottles of wine, and that's bad too, but I go through them faster than average light can alter the wine, and the rack is placed somewhere that never ever sees direct sunlight.

Food for thought.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

LOL! It looks like all three of us were having the same thought at the same time

Quote Originally Posted by naylor View Post
    Eh ... I didn't want to be the first to say it, but...
    lol, well I just couldn't hold back any longer! I was thinking..."am I the only one who sees the elephant in the room here?!"

Wow - I didn't even catch that. Yeah, I wouldn't keep my bottle of Perry Ellis 360° Red in the bathroom. And I wouldn't keep them "displayed" in any room - except a darkroom.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    5. Puredistance - Black
    8. Brückner - Aoud 1

Guys, I was wondering if anyone would comment on where I had my collection. To put everyone at ease, the cabinets were built with a/c vents and they are not exposed to direct sunlight. I keep the frags at 68º-70º. No windows in the bathroom. Everyone take a deep breath.

lol, well I just couldn't hold back any longer! I was thinking..."am I the only one who sees the elephant in the room here?!"
    Yeah, I was typing my comment while you were posting yours... and I was being gentle about it because I thought "Am I really the only one who wouldn't store his fragrances this way?!" If the average price paid per bottle is $100, which could be unrealistically low if enough of them are niche - especially hard to find niche - it's a collection that cost $14,000 to build. Leaving it exposed to light doesn't seem wise. Rather than spending $1000 on a display, he'd be better off spending that money on 10ml bottles to decant plus some sort of cooler to properly store the rest - unless he has a cool basement.

EDITED since the OP added a comment above. How much light does your bathroom still see? You said there's no direct sunlight, but still... overhead lights are light.

Guys, I was wondering if anyone would comment on where I had my collection. To put everyone at ease, the cabinets were built with a/c vents and they are not exposed to direct sunlight. I keep the frags at 68º-70º. No windows in the bathroom. Everyone take a deep breath.
    Well, I wouldn't keep my niche collection exposed to any light at all, let alone sunlight. And bathrooms can heat up substantially when a shower is running. But if you're comfortable with it, then by all means, carry on. I just wouldn't risk my $30k+ collection like that.

None of the built in overhead lights shine in the cabinet. Lights are on less than an hour per day. I, also took temperature measurements when I had the shower on and temperature never went above 70º in the cabinet.

This is my last comment on the matter. I just want to make sure you're thinking this through.

140 bottles.
    There are 365 days in a year.
    Let's say you get up every day, take a shower and apply a fragrance. And each evening, you apply a different fragrance. That means, 730 times a year, you apply one of your fragrances, assuming you never skip days to wear samples.

That means, you wear each fragrance an average of less than SIX TIMES A YEAR!!! It's actually 5.214 times per year - thank my calculator. Your collection will last a lifetime even if you never make another fragrance purchase ever, and when you die, you can will the collection to someone else and it'll probably last their entire lifetime too. The question is, are you storing it in a way that will stand up to the test of time? Or even a decade or two?

I agree that 140 bottles is considerably more than I need. This seems to be a fairly common problem on this forum. As to where I store them, I enjoy looking at them in the morning when getting ready for the day. I realize I am taking a risk, but I have tried to minimize it by how the cabinet was constructed and where in the bathroom it is located. If I was wrong, then I will be a bit annoyed.

Most bners, including myself, fail to see a danger in acquiring more and more perfumes, nor would they consider it problem to have more than could ever be used. In fact, some, including myself, check ebay (or the few remaining vintage stores) for the stuff that's left after previous accumulators die.

Nonetheless, it seems a good occasion to splurge on something. Either ultraniche, or a fancy extrait version, possibly with beautiful bottles (how about a Vol de nuit extrait in the helix bottle? Or snatch one of the remaining Lubin Idole edt?)

cacio

Put em in a box. You'll have a lot more room. Good to have em away from light anyway.

I appreciate all the suggestions, even the ones questioning the sanity of where my collection is kept.

Since this thread has morphed into "how to protect your fragrances from harm over time", has there been any definitive conclusions? When I've done searches, there is general consensus that heat and/or light harm fragrances. Where there is disagreement is how much heat, is it variations or prolonged contact. Same is true with light, then the added element of what type of light potentially harms a fragrance. Also, what is the greater risk to fragrances, heat or light? Lastly,I always worry about consensus in lieu of science, since feelings or opinions don't matter when talking about issues that are firmly rooted in the hard sciences.

Can we have a little peek at your lovely new redesigned bathroom perfume display?

Get a Krigler. Established Cognac, Lovely Patchouli Nights, etc. I think you can only find them in their online store and one location in New York for sure.

Or, and I know this is way out there, get something bespoke. As the Doors say, "5 to 1".

Roja Dove- Diaghilev
    Puredistance- M
    HOM- Black Bird
    MDCI- Invasion Barbare
    Xerjoff- Homme
    Amouage- Jubilation XXV
    Olivier Durbano- Black Tourmaline Extrait
    Chanel- Bois des Illes Parfum
    Chanel- Sycomore
    Guerlain- Jicky EDP

Amouage Interlude
    Memiors of a Tresspasser
    SDV
    Creed Windsor to name a few.

The osmotheque (the perfume repository in versailles) keeps their perfumes at 12C, in the dark, and in argon filled bottles (so that oxygen doesn't touch the liquid). So I'm assuming these are the optimal preservation conditions.

I don't have scientific sources about the extent of damage caused by these factors. People had perfumes ruined in matter of weeks by sunlight or extreme heat (eg leaving a perfume in hot cars). And sometimes the perfume kept under those very warm display lights in certain stores seem a bit off already there. So I'd assume that direct sunlight and extreme heat should be avoided at all cost. Regular temperatures (say < 100F) and some room lights probably cause damage very slowly over the course of decades. Many of us have perfumes bought on the web that still smell decent despite their age, and they were certainly not store in osmotheque-style conditions. Still, almost all pre-70s vintage stuff that has not been kept in ideal conditions smells somewhat off.

Remember also that some notes go off more quickly (citrus, aldehydes), others survive a long time (patch, woods, in general base notes).

cacio

I have re-evaluated my storage situation. While the heat element has already been addressed, I have re-thought my approach to light altering my frags. To that end, I am having a relatively clear tint installed on the cabinet door glass that rejects over 99% UV, and has excellent heat rejection properties as well. Thanks for helping me solve a problem I had not adequately addressed. Hopefully, now I can be at peace and live a long and fruitful life, at least until I discover another calamity.

I'm also investigating how to maintain an oxygen free environment in my bathroom. This could be problematic.........
    Last edited by sophisticatedscent; 31st July 2014 at 05:12 PM.

I have re-evaluated my storage situation. While the heat element has already been addressed, I have re-thought my approach to light altering my frags. To that end, I am having a relatively clear tint installed on the cabinet door glass that rejects over 99% UV, and has excellent heat rejection properties as well. Thanks for helping me solve a problem I had not adequately addressed. Hopefully, now I can be at peace and live a long and fruitful life, at least until I discover another calamity.

I'm also investigating how to maintain an oxygen free environment in my bathroom. This could be problematic.........
    Well said...LOL. This really IS a first world problem thread

To get back to your first question, I would second some of the aforementioned fragrances

Mona d Orio - Oud
    MDCI - IB
    HOM - Blackbird
    Xerjoff- Nio
    Clive Christian - No.1

Or really anything that has become super hard-to-find.

Dude, your asking about high end frags and you store them all in your BATHROOM?! Tsk! Tsk! That just wont do!!! I wouldn't do that to my collection...and most of them are under $40 a bottle. I'll have to remember not to swap with you!(not that I'd have anything of interest to you anyway.lol)
    This was my first thought as well. Unless your in-bathroom fragrance storage is climate controlled, I would highly suggest you move them somewhere else!

ETA: Sorry...I replied without reading the rest of the thread. It sounds like you've already started to address the issue. Good move.

I'd also recommend:

Black Gemstone
    Blackbird
    Invasion Barbare
    Puredistance M
    Jubilation XXV
    My favorites in no particular order:

Vintage Antaeus,Tauer L'Air du Desert Marocain, MDCI Invasion Barbare, Amouage Jubilation XXV, Morabito Or Black, House of Matriarch Blackbird, Puredistance M, Turtle Vetiver Back, CDG 2 Man, Vintage Bel Ami, YSL M7, Vetiver Extraordinaire, Bois d'Encens, Vintage Fahrenheit, Knize 10, Chanel Cuir de Russie, Gucci Pour Homme I

Funny post scenario...

Here goes:

Invasion Barbare
    Eau Radieuse
    Khol de Bahrein
    Herod
    Sel Marin
    Tuscan Leather
    Songe d'un Bois d'Eté
    Royal Oud
    Ambre 114
    L'Air Du Desert Marocain

Runner up: Uomo (Villoresi)

and Green Irish Tweed, but I'm pretty sure you have that

Basenotes Plus

Quit worrying and start living. Life is too short, my friends. It's not as if you can take these fragrances to the grave ( well, you could actually, LOL ). I'd go bespoke if I were you but that will require significantly more $. But if you love it, it will be worth every penny.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Quit worrying and start living. Life is too short, my friends. It's not as if you can take these fragrances to the grave ( well, you could actually, LOL ). I'd go bespoke if I were you but that will require significantly more $. But if you love it, it will be worth every penny.
    I completely agree. I find I approach my "problems" with a sense of humor, because they are clearly not problems in any sense of the word. I decided against a bespoke fragrance because I didn't want to spend the money, and then feel I should wear it often because it is "my fragrance". Like the whole variety thing with my scents.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

What does First World have to do with the problem?
    ointments and perfume delight the heart....

#BBOG!

Quote Originally Posted by perfaddict View Post
    I'm pointing out that it is only a problem for a person that has it pretty damn good. Not a problem at all. While those in the third world are trying to stay alive, an individual in the first world (me) is trying to figure out their next fragrance purchase.

Basenotes Plus

I'm pointing out that it is only a problem for a person that has it pretty damn good. Not a problem at all. While those in the third world are trying to stay alive, an individual in the first world (me) is trying to figure out their next fragrance purchase.
    I for one understood what you meant. Some of the responses here have been fairly snaky and petty; unfortunate.

Last edited by Jridgen; 1st August 2014 at 07:02 PM.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

...Obviously someone here doesn't follow Weird Al. Sheesh.
    Current favorites_____Black Tourmaline_____Gucci Pour Homme II_____Memoir Man_____Tuscan Leather______Montale Aoud and Pine_____Sel Marin_____Invasion Barbare_____Tonka Imperial____Dior Homme Intense_____L'Humaniste____Santal 33_____Bois d'Argent_____Nio_____MFK Oud_____Lumiere Noire_____Bois d'Encens_____Cuir Ottoman

In some parts of the world, that's a pretty well-known saying. For those who may not be familiar with it:

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us...-World-problem

Quote Originally Posted by Jridgen View Post
    ...Obviously someone here doesn't follow Weird Al. Sheesh.
    Everyone should follow Weird Al.

"It's all about the Pentiums" video makes me laugh every time... and I've seen it a hundred times.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    5. Puredistance - Black
    8. Brückner - Aoud 1

Quote Originally Posted by RichNTacoma View Post
    I for one understood what you meant. Some of the responses here have been fairly snaky and petty; unfortunate.
    Agreed.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

I don't come from or live in the First World geopolitical part of the world, but i am a bit travelled (if having visited most continents can be considered so). Living much closer to the starving, yet having had space issues frag-wise long before now, made me wonder what really is First World about the topic. I have as much of a sense of humour as the next person, know about Wierd Al and all that. Lets just say that if this conversation was brought up loudly at a multinational gathering there might be some awkward moments, overclouding the real issue at hand.

Putting huffing and puffing behind (in good spirits) when my ever-present frag-space problem seems to have been solved, the "want" of the next good smelling frag creates even more space problems . It never ends. Thats my Basenoter "problem".

#BBOG!

[QUOTE=dougczar;3208375]In some parts of the world, that's a pretty well-known saying. For those who may not be familiar with it:

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us...-World-problem

Thanks for the link. Fortunately, at the end of the day (for those that don't understand, it can happen at any point in the day) I simply smile and move on.

I don't come from or live in the First World geopolitical part of the world, but i am a bit travelled (if having visited most continents can be considered so). Living much closer to the starving, yet having had space issues frag-wise long before now, made me wonder what really is First World about the topic. I have as much of a sense of humour as the next person, know about Wierd Al and all that. Lets just say that if this conversation was brought up loudly at a multinational gathering there might be some awkward moments, overclouding the real issue at hand.

Putting huffing and puffing behind (in good spirits) when my ever-present frag-space problem seems to have been solved, the "want" of the next good smelling frag creates even more space problems . It never ends. Thats my Basenoter "problem".
    Why would it be awkward to say to anyone that my problems are first world? How does that insult anyone, but possibly, me? Now if you said my problems are first world, then that's a fight....just kidding.

Boy, this escalated quickly.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

....just kidding.
    Lets keep up the love of frags.

Cheers.

#BBOG!

Basenotes Plus

Was this the topic here?
    Directory contribution link:-
    http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Was this the topic here?
    Yes, it seems so long ago that I originally posed the question.

Lets keep up the love of frags.

Cheers.

Completely agree. I hope you read my response as being light hearted. No intent on my part to be insensitive.

vita odorifera
    Blog Entries

Completely agree. I hope you read my response as being light hearted. No intent on my part to be insensitive.
    With lots of respect

#BBOG!

Tinting of glass cabinet is complete. Over 99% UV protection and 30% improvement in heat rejection (even though heat is not a problem in this application). Now I can put all my efforts on my next fragrance purchase. Life is good.

Dior Oud Elixir Precieux perhaps? Not that I've ever tested it in fact, has anyone tried it?