Code of Conduct

Default Sweaty Guy Needs Some Help!

Hi! Another new guy. Lurking about for about 2 weeks, trying to learn a thing or two. Very informative site. This may be a lot for a first time post but I would appreciate any help.

I'm an optometrist and am in close contact with patients all day long in confined exam rooms. I also have hyperhidrosis, mostly cranial-facial, although some axillary. The sweating usually only bothers me in the morning, 30 minutes to an hour, not everyday, but 3 or 4 mornings a week. Been this way since my teens. Uncomfortable, to say the least, but I have learned to live with it. I drink a lot of water, shower twice a day, keep extra change of clothes at work, etc. I work with my wife and she tells me that I never smell bad. Used to wear cologne regularly, but always worry if it is obtrusive to patients.

I am looking for an everyday cologne that says: clean, professional, something citrus and soapy, but not to floral, low key but with good longevity in light of my perspiration problem. I am always looking at branding as a way to promote my practice. Scent could be an important part of branding. I have searched some threads but am uncertain about a few things. Especially as to what is discontinued and what isn't.
    Don't want to pick a everyday cologne only to be unable to find it later. I have enjoyed the search very much, but am new and need direction.

Sampled:
    Green Irish Tweed - Liked it. 4 to 5 hour longevity.
    Cool Water - Didn't like. Smelled metallic on me.
    Adventus - Liked it, Wife loved it. Lasted about 10 hours on me.
    Creed Original Vetiver - Loved it, wife liked it. 7 to 8 hours.
    Eternity - Like it, wore it for years, a little tired of it.
    DG Light Blue - Nice, lasted about 6 to 7 hours.

Samples I've bought but haven't received yet:
    Terre D'Hermes
    Tom Ford Grey Vetiver
    Mugler Cologne
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Givenchy Vetiver
    L'eau D'issey By Issey Miyake for Men

Should I consider these?
    D'orange Verte Concentre
    Gendarme For Men
    Prada Amber Pour Homme
    Prada Infusion D'homme
    Sung Homme
    Clean for Men

LOL, I wrote a lot! In short, what fragrances do you think say clean and professional, without being overbearing, on a middle age guy prone to perspiring at 68*F?

Default Re: Sweaty Guy Needs Some Help!

Definitely consider Gendarme.

I don't know how common this is, but vetiver scents can be a bit nauseating to me under the wrong circumstances. I wouldn't put anything more vetivery than Mugler Cologne/OV in the "safe for all people at close range" category.

Welcome!

Unlike nillagoon, I have always found vetivers to be ideal for a professional setting. Fresh, clean, but natural smelling, not soapy or synthetic. Rather, I dislike marine notes (like Light blue, or Eau d'Issey). But I guess that's just to show that everybody has his tastes. So the key is to apply very lightly. After all, patients are probably thinking about something else when they're with you, it's just to give a subliminal impression of cleanliness, not to have them notice your perfume. Applying under the clothes, for instance, reduces projection.

But back to vetivers. I see you have already some good ones in your list (Grey vetiver, Guerlain, Givenchy). I'd add the most elegant of the lot, Chanel Sycomore (which is also more expensive, but much cheaper than Creed), or, even more expensive, the freshest one, Malle Vetiver extraordinaire. Incidentally, Original vetiver doesn't smell primarily of vetiver (it's quite soapy to me), which probably explains why nillagoon likes it.

cacio

PS I just need to add ... waxing (armpits) reduces odor formation. You'll sweat the same, but it won't get trapped in the hair. it will also make it easy to wipe.

Thanks for the opinions.

Definitely will seek a sample of Gendarme! Didn't realize that the smell of OV was soapy. Still new to the science. Maybe that's what I like about it. Looking forward to seeing how the other vetiver samples smell in comparison. Does Creed OV have floral notes in it? I don't detect any. But am inexperienced. Does anyone think that the Prada's would be to cloyingly floral in small rooms like examination rooms? Are do they come across only as soapy to you. I live in the hot, humid, deep south of USA, lol. Soapy may not be a bad thing.

Cacio - Have frequently worn Chanel Allure Homme, Chanel Blue de Chanel, Mont Blanc legend, even Polo Classic at the office without compliant as I always have applied lightly. Still, I think most people are polite and would not say anything if they didn't like it. I know I wouldn't. Before I wore what my wife and I liked. Now at the office, I want to cultivate an image that is clean, professional and caring, because I try to be those things. I liked what you said. "....it's just to give a subliminal impression of cleanliness, not to have them notice your perfume." Exactly what I'm pursuing.
    Although, I will say, have become much more interested in other colognes for out of office use, since I started this search.

Terre D'Hermes is my husband's most complimented in-a-random-way fragrance(the lady at the Post Office Box, the lady at a Showhome etc) I love Quasar up close (Christopher Sheldrake made this way back when) but TDH is universally loved in my demographic. Any woman who has had a very bad run with hot flushes (me, me) will tell you that perfume does release at these times, and no, you (we) don't smell bad, just a bit steamy behind those glasses that you are dispensing. All the best

Sounds like Mugler Cologne would bit the bill.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Terre D'Hermes and Mugler. Can't wait for the samples to come in. I'm watching for the mailman like a 6 year old in the 1960's. Waiting on the "mailorder" to come in. When they get here, the only problem is, you can only try one at a time. HA.

I think you are on the right track with the samples you have and that are on its way. Of the ones you are debating getting: D'orange Verte Concentre is very refreshing but has poor longevity. Prada Amber Pour Homme and Prada Infusion D'homme; I like both but they read as more powdery/perfumey, I don't think they will work for your specific purpose.
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity.
    There is no cure for curiosity."
    - Dorothy Parker

Get a sample of Xerjoff - Nio, best citrus scent, longest lasting and great quality ingredients.
    Current top 5.

1. FM - Musc Ravageur ( Lovely cinammon and vanilla mix )
    2. Xerjoff - Kobe ( Very well made and addictive )
    3. Tom Ford - Tobacco Vanille ( Sparks my imagination of an old English shop )
    4. Creed - Aventus ( Lovely pineapple, great longevity and sillage )
    5. Nasomatto - Black Afgano ( Unique and long lasting as it's parfum )

Try Mugler Cologne. Non-cloying and pretty safe IMO.

Hi scentry & welcome! I really think you'll like tom ford grey vetiver & mugler cologne.. they're great clean/fresh scents. The issey miyake is a floral bomb to my nose anyway. Clean and gendarme are good but poor longevity. And if i was to suggest something it would be dior homme sport. Good luck & god speed! :-)

Nio by xerjoff, Prada Amber pour homme, L'Humaniste, Royal oud ...
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Basenotes Plus

+1 Mugler Cologne

+1 L'Humaniste (VERY hard to get in the states unfortunately, but a wonderful, light citrus scent - definitely worth trying)

These are probably the lightest, most inoffensive scent's I've smelled.

I don't know about Aventus at work, where you're up close with people. I can't imagine running in to too many people that don't like it, but it can definitely be a power house.

Green Irish Tweed is a universal winner for everything. You can't go wrong with it.

Vetiver can be hit or miss with people. From what I've seen, you either hate it or love it. I personally hate it, it gives me a headache. I avoid it like the plague. If I smelled it on my dentist/doctor, I'd definitely say something (not in a rude way).

Issey Miyake and Terre D'Hermes samples came in today. Can't wait to try Terre D'Hermes. Sprayed a little on the card. Nice. Will be interesting to see how it developes on my skin. Sprayed a little Issey Miyake on it's card. Seemed a little to complex, a lot going on at one time. I know from studying here though, don't judge it til you actually try it. This is a nice hobby for people who like to analyze things and seek to see how components work together. Art and science. Can't wait for the Mugler and Tom Ford Grey Vetiver samples to come in. I agree some may be not be appropriate for work. Still, I see patients four days a week, office and paper work and urgencies on Friday. So there's three days a week to try others.

Basenotes Plus

If you're concerned over finding the most appropriate personal fragrance for work, you might want to consider a subtle room scent instead, while sticking with scent-free anti-perspirant/deodorant.

Diamondflame - that's an interesting take on the situation. I will give it some thought.

Mmmmm. The thought of a Terre D'Hermes room candle is positively sexy. Let's push the boat out. When I was selling my house I spritzed the entire house with Yardley Lavender Spa Treatment just before open homes. Eventually the real estate agent cottoned on to what I was doing and we laughed about it. She said the responses were all positive. It was summer and all of the windows were open, it was subtle and quite lovely even though I say so myself. At present my house smells of wet dog, venison sausages, and wood shavings. The remaining Lavender Spa is looking good!

Aaahhh, I find venison sausage to be really quite good if properly prepared and cooked over a charcoal grill.

Funny you mentioned Terre D'Hermes. Trialed it the last two days. Unfortunately It didn't do well for me. After the initial citrus, it smelled kind of, for lack of better words, "stale" on me. Like a old work jacket that someone had smoked in, and then hung in the closet a couple of months ago. Quite disappointed it wasn't compatible for me. Was thinking I could ocassionally wear at work and sometimes on the weekend. I know others find it to work well with their body chemistry. Tried Dolce and Gabbana today. Great scent. Poor projection. Longevity of less than two hours. I wonder if anyone else has had that problem with D&G?

Mugler Cologne would be first choice.
    Gendarme as second choice.

TF Grey Vetiver is a good choice. Clean and lasts ages. If you want something similar but less potent, try Crabtree & Evelyn West Indian Lime. Hard to imagine anyone having the bare-faced cheek to criticise that one.

Quote Originally Posted by Marais View Post
    TF Grey Vetiver is a good choice. Clean and lasts ages. If you want something similar but less potent, try Crabtree & Evelyn West Indian Lime. Hard to imagine anyone having the bare-faced cheek to criticise that one.
    I would find it difficult to criticise any fragrance and I adore lime.in a composition (jo Malone got rich on that one)
    The fragrance journey is fun, with a bunch of enablers to keep the road trip going. We don't find our signature scent and then stop. BL a Versailles is always in my life but since it's many re formulations I don't wear it much. Christine Nagel has gone to Hermes. Christopher Sheldrake puts mini Chanel stories on You Tube, oak moss is nearly kaput, always change in the air. Scentry, love the handle, you will find many that will work for you

I hope I didn't offend anyone with my critique. Not sure of the etiquette here, but thankful for the chance to participate. Just meant those fragrances weren't working with my body chemistry. Especially the Terre D'Hermes, I really wanted to like it. And the D&G, fantastic for me, but gone so quickly. I really enjoy the process and I really appreciate the input from all. This is kind of like a culinary experience without the calories.

Tried L'eau D'issey today. Rather safe bet for me. Low key. Not exactly what I'm looking for at work. But nice.

Mugler Cologne, Gendarme, Tom Ford samples in route. Will be fun to see if they fit my taste.

Lime - I like the thought of that. Hope I get the chance to try the Crabtree & Evelyn West Indian Lime.

Responding quickly because there is no chance of a critique offending anyone. TDH is my husband's most complimented fragrance, is true, but not actually my favourite. He wore Aramis Devin when I met him and it becomes a scent memory. Eau Savage is always elegant, Dior Homme and DH Intense can be overdone (nobody does it better than him) Etc Etc, the list goes on. Welcome to the forums

Thanks. Isn't it so odd that nothing conjures up memories like scents?

Quote Originally Posted by Scentry View Post
    Thanks. Isn't it so odd that nothing conjures up memories like scents?
    I have a couple of friends who are prone to sweating, and recently made a recommendation that both of them loved. In my opinion, your most important consideration will be to find a scent that smells pleasant when mixed with your sweat. Though you mention that you want longevity, this isn't hugely important since you can carry a small atomizer to your work and reapply at lunch - instead of sporting a massive duration, these fragrances should be pleasant and refreshing to reapply, while making you smell exceptionally fresh and clean.

Three come to mind:

1. Acqua di Parma - Colonia Essenza
    2. Acqua di Parma - Colonia
    3. Tom Ford - Neroli Portofino

Do try to track down samples of these. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised by how well they work. Incidentally, I am quite surprised that they have not been recommended yet.

Parfumerie Générale Grand Siècle Intense ..

Chanel Edition Blanche. So clean and your patients will definitely appreciate it.

I find prada Amber pour homme to be quite floral and makes me feel sick if I spray more than twice. Gendarme seems to be a universal professional close quarters scent. Alot of actors wear it, which might say something towards its appropriateness .

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

I think you are on the right track with Gendarme and the Pradas. I'll just add that my personal preference for a professional signature scent would be Rive Gauche Pour Homme.

Green Irish Tweed is one of the best fresh scents

All Pradas, including Luna Rossa and Infusion de Vetiver, Eau de Rochas Pour Homme, Happy Man, Un Jardin Apres La Mousson.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Sounds like Mugler Cologne would bit the bill.
    +1

Concentre D'Orange Verte is also a great option, it has a sharp citric opening but its dries down beautifully! Better longevity and projection than Eau D'Orange Verte from 1979 (one of my favorites)

You could also try Swiss Army Classic - Victorinox. A pleasant citrus opening with a lavender heart and cypress drydown. Clean, professional.