Code of Conduct
    dfranz

Default What fragrances are popular in your country right now?

I'm just curious to hear what Basenoters from all over the globe have to say about this.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: What fragrances are popular in your country right now?

I smell Bleu De Chanel everywhere I go. Everywhere. I. Go.

I tested the sample I got from Nordstroms last night actually, and found it off putting. No matter how much I test it, I just can't like it. I'm hoping the EDP version coming out in the next month will be better to me.

dfranz

Quote Originally Posted by sdotlow View Post

I tested the sample I got from Nordstroms last night actually, and found it off putting. No matter how much I test it, I just can't like it. I'm hoping the EDP version coming out in the next month will be better to me.
    I'm with you on that. I blind bought a small bottle and while I don't necessarily regret it, I don't really "get it" either. I'll wear it every once in a while because of how much love it seems to get elsewhere (I'm wearing it today actually) and think maybe I'm just missing something....but am always a bit disappointed. It's not bad, but it's not great.

On topic: I work in oil and gas and smell a ton of Stetson...

Definitely Bleu De Chanel and One Million
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Get a lot of 1 Million here in the States also.

Why So Serious?

Lots of Le Male and AdG still
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Kilian Apple Brandy
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Andrea Maack Coven
    5. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese

dfranz

Quote Originally Posted by HackerX View Post
    Lots of Le Male and AdG still
    I'm sorry.

1 Million, its flankers and knock offs: ubiquitous beyond tolerance.

Here in Puerto Rico, the most common men fragrances as of now would be:

1. Bleu de Chanel (a lot of clients and co-coworkers wear this)
    2. ADG - Also very very popular here, even more so in the ages of 40 and up
    3. YSL L'homme - Very popular work scent here and I believe is very appropriate for our weather
    4. One Million - Lots of people are wearing this, but I can't really figure out how these men are wearing this in 95-100 degree weather.

Default What fragrances are popular in your country right now?

In my neck of the woods different versions of Boss, AdG, Allure Homme Sport and LeMale seem quite common. I think I also saw Ferrari and 1 Million at some top ten list short while ago.

-Mark

Sent from my NSA monitored iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Mark_Trail; 31st July 2014 at 04:47 PM. Reason: content
    Using Tapatalk

US (Midwest) My coworkers are always over-spraying ARMANI CODE...

For me.. in Florida. I typically smell AdG, and Cool Water on people. Every now and then I smell La Nuit, or 1 Million. Other than that.. those are the only really recognizable fragrances to me, this is just from people walking by, picking up their sillage. I have definitley smelled lots of other stuff, more so citrus typed, and aquatics, but not so instantly recognizable.
    My Current Top 10:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)
    Burberry London (2006)
    Prada Amber pour Homme (2006)
    Live Jazz (1998)
    Eau des Baux (2006)
    Midnight in Paris EDP (2010)
    Arpege pour Homme (2005)
    Eau Duelle (2010)

Basenotes Junkie

Not sure how to speak for the entire USA, lol...

For example, fragrances are much more common in NYC, then they are, say.. in Central NJ. Whenever I go to New York I notice A LOT of people wearing something nice. You are also more likely to get complimented on your fragrances in the city as opposed to the rural areas where not too many people care about scents.

To answer your question more specifically, I did notice a lot of people wearing Terre lately.

dfranz

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyP View Post
    Not sure how to speak for the entire USA, lol...

For example, fragrances are much more common in NYC, then they are, say.. in Central NJ. Whenever I go to New York I notice A LOT of people wearing something nice. You are also more likely to get complimented on your fragrances in the city as opposed to the rural areas where not too many people care about scents.

To answer your question more specifically, I did notice a lot of people wearing Terre lately.
    That's a good point. I know different parts of the states might as well be different countries.

dfranz

Quote Originally Posted by herbert7890 View Post
    4. One Million - Lots of people are wearing this, but I can't really figure out how these men are wearing this in 95-100 degree weather.
    I think a lot of guys just don't know any better. I wore Polo almost every day for almost 6 years before I accidentally found this website

Brazilians love themselves some 1 Million and Carolina Herrera 212! (alone with other sweet concoctions, to be honest).

A unique one that I can't get away from (here specifically, since your question seems to be fishing for regional distinctions) is the original or flankers of MALBEC, by the Boticário brand. It supposedly contains real grape must essence of the famed Argentine varietal. That sounds disgusting... but it's really quite nice and wickedly projecting, long lasting stuff. I'm just so sick of it. My dad now doesn't welcome me home unless I return to the states with at least one bottle of the stuff per year.
    Having Simultaneous Affairs with: Amouage Memoir Man, Fate Man, Interlude Man, Epic Extrait (yep... the femme version), Tribute, Homage, Opus IV, VI, & VII • Puredistance M, Black • Tauer L'Air & Carillon pour un Ange • Knize Ten Golden • L'Artisan Al Oudh, Traversee du Bosphore, Dzing! • TF Noir de Noir • Xerjoff Homme, Richwood, Regio, 1861, 1888, Zafar • Serge Lutens MKK, Gris Clair, Fille en Aiguilles, La Myrre • H de Parfums 1740, Noir Patchouli, Tub3 Animale • Abdes Salaam Tabac, Sharif, Mecca Balsam • Slumberhouse Vikt, Baque • MDCI Invasion Barbare, Chypre Palatin • Nicoläi NY, Vie de Chateau Intense, L'Eau Mixte • Dior Leather Oud & Patchouli Imperial • Chanel Sycomore • Guerlain Derby, Songe d'un Bois d'Ete • MFK Oud Cashmere Mood • Ormonde Jayne Man

Oud Ispahan
    Black Afgano
    SoOud Nur

You can smell these three almost everywhere. At my work maybe 7-8 co-workers wear Oud Ispahan and Black Afgano. That is why I sold my Black Afgano bottle. lol
    For Sale:Gucci Pour Homme II , Amouage Attar,Lubin Idole http://www.basenotes.net/threads/313...dwide-Shipping

+ BdC
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

VPH
    Boss Bottled
    1 million

sometimes I have a feeling these three are the only fragrances men wear around here.

The only things I smell nowadays are Le Male an 1 Million.

Shoot me now.

1 Million / Le Male, so boring. :/

UK - BDC also

dfranz

Quote Originally Posted by ION-ONE View Post
    UK - BDC also
    This makes me sad, I thought things were a bit classier that side of the pond.

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    US (Midwest) My coworkers are always over-spraying ARMANI CODE...
    Also in the Midwest of the USA, and honestly....I don't smell a lot of fragrances. Period. Unless I'm at the mall or in a club. But just going about life in general, it is somewhat rare that I smell a fragrance, either on a man or a woman. But usually when you do smell fragrances, for whatever reason, it's generally the typical "young" (sweet) type scents like 1 Million, Le Male, Acqua di Gio (smell that one quite a bit, actually), La Nuit de L'Homme, A&F Fierce (see Acqua di Gio - LOL), etc. on the younger guys. Sorry, but I don't know women's scents well enough to notice which ones those are when I smell them.

Quote Originally Posted by dfranz View Post
    Ha. Its a funny One. Always prefer the smell of it on others to on myself so quite happy it seems so ubiquitous!

They are in London. I've smelled everything from Creed to Penhaligon's on people who were simply walking down the street.

Quote Originally Posted by sdotlow View Post
    THIS. Bleu and YSL L'homme - but especially Bleu. It seems like all of a sudden, I'm smelling these two more than everything else combined.

I used to smell AdG all the time, and occasionally I still do, but it isn't everywhere the way it was even just a few years ago.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

1 million! So sick of it!

Just out of curiosity, what do you consider a "classy" scent? And does your current collection consist of? I've noticed that you don't have anything currently listed in your wardrobe.

dfranz

Quote Originally Posted by SportsFan View Post
    Just out of curiosity, what do you consider a "classy" scent? And does your current collection consist of? I've noticed that you don't have anything currently listed in your wardrobe.
    That was mostly just a joke on my part. Bleu de Chanel is a fine fragrance. Not my personal favorite, but I think it smells much nicer on others than it does on me.

And I have no idea what you're referring to with the wardrobe thing?

And I have no idea what you're referring to with the wardrobe thing?
    On your profile, you can add whatever you have in your collection to what this site calls your "wardrobe". I believe you would click on your profile, and to the left it will say something about your wardrobe (See wardrobe? I believe?) and you can add whatever you currently own, what you have owned, what you've tried, etc.

EDIT: by the way, you didn't mention what you would consider to be a "classy" scent.....
    Last edited by SportsFan; 1st August 2014 at 06:28 AM.

ROJA and Sospiro(yuck).

for swap/sale:

With the exception of more recent bestseller, namely One Million or BDC, pretty much as 5-10 years ago, namely Le Male, ADG, Joop! Homme, Hugo Man, occasionally venturing into M7, TDH, Gucci PH II and Nikos Sculpture for a slight more diversity (the latter four being pretty much the few, if not only ones, who either already are or could make it to bestsellers, in spite of not always being THE top performers in terms of popularity).
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 10th August 2014 at 01:28 PM.

I smell a lot of joop homme
    Danny G Designs
    Freelance Graphic Designer & Body Builder

...the top-tens from the two biggest Parfumerie chains in the Netherlands...

https://www.douglas.nl/douglas/Geure...dex_c0103.html
    http://www.iciparisxl.nl/nl_NL/Top10...4AAAEkF2AbkaHK

I am totally clueless on how to know which fragrances are popular (unless browsing sales chart).
    My current top five:

Tiffany - Tiffany for Men (vtg)
    Yves Saint Laurent - M7 (vtg)
    Fendi - Theorema
    Tom Ford - Tobacco Vanille
    Gucci - Gucci pour Homme

My sales thread | NICHE & VTG | Shiseido Basala, Boadicea Invigorating, SMN Tabacco Toscano, Signoricci, YSL M7 (AS), Gucci Envy for Men (AS), Ungaro II...

My fragrance reviews | Ye Olde Civet Cat

guess it's One Million/ Spicebomb/A men

Quote Originally Posted by Trauerkraut View Post
    ...the top-tens from the two biggest Parfumerie chains in the Netherlands...

https://www.douglas.nl/douglas/Geure...dex_c0103.html
    http://www.iciparisxl.nl/nl_NL/Top10...4AAAEkF2AbkaHK
    Tomo Annayake?
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

byandthrough

In my part of the US (Delaware), I almost never smell fragrances. Even the heavy-hitters that are being mentioned here. The scenario for men and fragrances here is almost always the same: wearing a cologne is something you did in middle/high school (and it was usually Brut, Hugo, Candies for Men, Curve, or ADG) and then you grow up, start using Old Spice body wash, have an aging can of Axe on your nightstand or in the bathroom medicine cabinet, or (by some miracle), a REALLY aging bottle of ADG that has some of the juice coagulated around the tip of atomizer that's just a decoration next to your video game console. Other than that, besides the very rare whiff of Le Male, or Ralph Lauren Romance...ok, or maybe a Diesel scent...I rarely come into contact with fragrance on a daily basis. Which automatically makes me the "cologne guy", no matter how much I'm wearing, lol.

Singapore:

some names mentioned in one chatroom i saw (but this was more than a month ago) were One million and Invictus
    “Happiness is a perfume you cannot pour on others without getting a few drops on yourself” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by byandthrough View Post
    In my part of the US (Delaware), I almost never smell fragrances. Even the heavy-hitters that are being mentioned here. The scenario for men and fragrances here is almost always the same: wearing a cologne is something you did in middle/high school (and it was usually Brut, Hugo, Candies for Men, Curve, or ADG) and then you grow up, start using Old Spice body wash, have an aging can of Axe on your nightstand or in the bathroom medicine cabinet, or (by some miracle), a REALLY aging bottle of ADG that has some of the juice coagulated around the tip of atomizer that's just a decoration next to your video game console. Other than that, besides the very rare whiff of Le Male, or Ralph Lauren Romance...ok, or maybe a Diesel scent...I rarely come into contact with fragrance on a daily basis. Which automatically makes me the "cologne guy", no matter how much I'm wearing, lol.
    LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Definitely Bleu De Chanel and One Million
    Same in my country.

One Million and Silver Scent by Bogart.
    My all time favorite:

Dior Fahrenheit

A few of the newer Davidoffs also seem to gain in popularity and/or bestseller status.

India

1. One Million
    2. Coolwater

3. AdG
    4. Ferrari perfumes (either red or black)
    5. CH 212 Men

Le male is totally missing from the scene.

Mostly stuff I don't recognize.

Where I am right now it's Narciso Rodriguez Essence and L'Artisan Ananas Fizz. I'm giving the old Bulgari Aqua another chance (probably our last time together).

Pick up PR One Million often
    An investment in knowledge pays the best interest

- Benjamin Franklin

Well I don't think you can gauge whats popular by what you smell most often, because so many frags are clean, weak things that you are not going to smell them at the usual distance you keep away from strangers. At those distances, only 1 Million and Le Male will make it, so that skews the results.

Totally unscientific, I just looked at the bestsellers on boots.com, which I'm pretty sure is where most people in the UK buy fragrance, and I'm surprised to find the top selling full price frag, that isn't a gift set or heavily discounted, is Armani Eau de Nuit. Wasn't expecting that one!

I smell a lot of One Million, Issey Miyake, Bleu and Dior Homme Intense in recent times here in OZ.
    MY STEALTHY FREEDOM.

tons of vanilla based scents and of course aquatics, such as 1 Million and Light Blue pour Homme.

Joop! Homme
    JPG Le Male
    Acqua di Gio
    Bvlgari Aqua

Le male, one million, invictus, Hugo boss bottled in men,for woman a lot of light blue and dkny apple

I've spent the past four years going back and forth between Kentucky and Tennessee. Ralph Lauren seems to be the most popular brand around here, though I occasionally get a whiff of Acqua di Gio. A few older men go for Stetson. An SA told me their biggest seller was Bleu de Chanel.

In the Tampa, FL area I would say that fragrances in general aren't that commonly worn. Here in the office I occasionally smell some aquatic or another. Out and about in the evening I pick up lots of Cool Water, and certainly ADG as well.

This weekend however I was in Miami ... whole new ballgame. Most everyone was wearing something, and most of it smelled pretty darn nice.