Code of Conduct

Default SOTD: Friday, August 1, 2014

Good morning all,

Today I am in sync with

E. Coudray - Givrine (1950)

The sparkling freshness of a citrus sorbet enhanced with blond amber and transparent musks.
    A herbal summer scent with notes of mandarin, bergamot, lemon, orange blossom, lavender, thyme, tarragon, jasmine, and mint.

From a sample
    Last edited by Puma; 1st August 2014 at 10:47 PM.

Default Re: SOTD: Friday, August 1, 2014

Hello all. Chanel Pour Monsieur.
    DONNA

Eutopie # 6 by Eutopie

Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Hello everyone, I am in L'Arte di Gucci today from a 5ml mini of the EDP I bought on eBay. So sad that this was discontinued. It is a slutty rose chypre, a bit brighter than Rose de Nuit, but in the same vein. Must try to get my hands on a mini of Gucci No. 3 next....

(((Red Hot Mama))) I was so sad to read about your aunt and the way she passed away. It brings tears to my eyes when I imagine the pride and grit it must have taken to get up and walk the rest of the way home.
    “There is no exquisite beauty… without some strangeness in the proportion.”
    ― Edgar Allan Poe

Basenotes Plus

((((Chrissie and family)))) my condolences on your loss.

SOTD is Mure et Musc Extreme.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Blog Entries

Hi & a happy Friday to all.

((((RHM)))) my condolences on your loss. She sounds like a very brave lady.

Q, hope all goes well for you today!

Draining my sample of Sepia today.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Thumbs up Re: SOTD: Friday, August 1, 2014

Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

((((RHM & family)))) -wishing you all strength,solace to the extent possible and good memories of your aunt.

In sync today with Caron Poivre. It's kind of nice to have all that dry spice in the warm weather.

Festive Friday to all!

Poivre notes: Pepper, clove, geranium rose base, jasmine, tuberose, carnation bouquet.
    Last edited by ComDiva; 1st August 2014 at 04:34 PM. Reason: Adding SOTD's notes
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

Good morning, the sun rises over the coast of the new world.

Jailia today, the happy Friday smell.

My older kids are back from Italy so my house is stuffed full of daughters, perhaps for the last time as the oldest will need to find employment soon and get out on her own...By next summer we should be down to 3; then if things go well, consolidation with the Boyfriend the next year will bring our total to 2 at home, 2 in college and a handful of young adults, passing in and out for quite a while, we expect.

hello all,
    vintage

Condolences RHM.

Today I'm wearing one that's quickly becoming a favorite of mine; Masque Milano Montecristo. I was never really a fan of musky fragrances until I crossed paths with Montecristo. The musk, woods, booziness and hints of tobacco provide a comfortable masculine blanket for me. I love it!

Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project.

*** NEW Lavhim (Lavender, Incense, Candle Wax, Clove, Fir Needles, Cognac & Green Leaves)*** / Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.)

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Carner Barcelona Cuirs today
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Amouage Opus VIII
    Ointment and perfume rejoice the heart: so doth the sweetness of a man's friend by hearty counsel. Proverbs 27:9 KJV

Blog Entries

Carven-
    Vert et Blanc
    Launched in 1958
    Sensuous green galbanum and oak moss
    with complimentary clary sage.
    A great review-
    http://thevintageperfumevault.blogsp...c-perfume.html

Last edited by kumquat; 1st August 2014 at 05:23 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Good afternoon all !.

Chrissy, my sincerest condolences on the loss of your aunt - she sounded a really brave and resolute lady.

Fairly easy synch for me as options are limited to a grand total of one, but it's a good 'un .

What's up Roberto? How is this one?
    Quote Originally Posted by ROBERTO View Post

Gucci Pour Homme II

Basenotes Plus

Amouage Fate for Woman

Have a great Friday everyone!

ClaireV - I'm loving your illustration!

RHM - I am very sorry about your loss. May the memories of your aunt give you peace and comfort.
    Last edited by CapriDog; 1st August 2014 at 04:05 PM.

Basenotes Institution

Quarry - hope your procedure is easy, quick and painless today
    RHM - more hugs for you, just because
    kumquat - wow that bottle looks old, I love the stripes on the packaging, just so old-school

In sync in:

Youth Dew by Estee Lauder

Normally this would NOT be something I could wear in Summer, but I only put the tiniest amount of the Bath Oil in my bath this morning, so there is a quiet aura of this all over me. I love this stuff. Later I'll splash on the last of my vintage Diorissimo parfum after the gym.

The 50's rock!
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

If I could go back and live in one time period, it would definitely be a tough choice between the 20's or the 50's!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    The 50's rock!
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project.

*** NEW Lavhim (Lavender, Incense, Candle Wax, Clove, Fir Needles, Cognac & Green Leaves)*** / Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.)

Blog Entries

Mike, the picture was from the Internet. I think it's the wrong juice. I'll have to get mine out and photograph it.

Edit- ok, it's changed to a picture of my own box now.
    Last edited by kumquat; 1st August 2014 at 05:24 PM.

Blog Entries

Eau d'Hadrien today to combat the increased heat and humidity.

It's our anniversary, 22 years! Also the last day of hubby's vacation. He's spending it on a ladder, continuing repairs on our windows, and I'm leaving now for the mall Apple store where daughter will have a new battery installed into her Mac laptop before she heads to college. The old one is still working fine but it's old, and old lithium batteries ignite/exlode more often than new ones do. (Better paranoid than sorry.)

But we'll make time for a nice supper later.

Have a nice day, everyone!

For once, I thought to look at the Synchronised Friday thread before going into the cupboard this morning, so I'm in Diorissimo (sadly not 50s vintage) today.

I'm so sorry to hear about your aunt RHM. She sounds like such a determined lady to make it all the way home by herself, but sadly brain bleeds aren't known to respect determination. At least her pain was relatively short and I hope that you remember her with love but without pain soon

I'm having a much smaller scale crap day today, just struggling to move around and the pain is getting to me today. I know that the pain is getting really bad when I have to sleep a lot during the day and today I slept for long enough that I woke up with a thick head and feeling really 'duh'. I hope that it will feel better tomorrow.
    'I suggest we learn to love ourselves before it's made illegal.'

queen of the universe

Started the morning in Max Factor Hypnotique (that's the cute bunny bottle you see in my avatar)—it's very a "when I grow up I want to smell like Mommy" powdery chypr-ish thing. Afternoon is Cabochard, a badass leather floral.

P1030524.jpgP1040126.jpg
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Poivre vintage parfum S.O.T.E.

Blog Entries

Happy Anniversary to Mr & Mrs Roses!

Jasmin Noir this evening.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    What's up Roberto? How is this one?
    A great Woody Chypre , with great projection and lasting power. Notes are tangerine, nutmeg, rum, clove, oakmoss ,oak, patchouli, leather and cedar
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Perfumes

Quote Originally Posted by Puma View Post

Great choice . Fantastic !!! A masterpiece from the venerable house of CARON
    Perfumes

Basenotes Plus

Best wishes to Mr and Mrs 30 Roses.

SotE - ELDO Tom Of Finland.

Have a great weekend, folks

Basenotes Institution

kumquat - the packaging is still tres-chic. Thanks!
    30 Roses - HAPPY ANNIVERSARY!!!!

Afternoon, in sync in:

Diorissimo (vintage Parfum) by Christian Dior

So I don't know if you all remember the story about this one, but I'll repeat it here: I was in Boston on vacation (during when I met ComDiva and her lovely family for dinner one night & then had lunch with Luca Turin another day). I was walking all around the city and it was hot, so I went into a little old-school pharmacy to buy some water and to check out to see if they had any fragrances for sale. They did. The cabinet was so high up that I had to ask for a step ladder to see the boxes. They had this bottle of Diorissimo, I could see from the box that it was the old stuff (probably from the 1960's). The juice was super dark (I was afraid it might've turned, but it didn't) and the woman who owned the pharmacy, let me have it for $20. She said "Oh I don't know how many years that's been there...what do you want it for?" I immediately put a poker face on, stammered and said "$20?" and she said yes. My heart leapt out of my chest, it was all I could do to get the money out of my wallet and get the perfume out of the door - my hands were shaking. I couldn't believe it.

I'll always remember that day when I smell Diorissimo. I have smelled the Eau de Toilette (old and new) but the Perfume is just The Real Deal. Jasmine, calyx, rose and loads of lily of the valley. Not soapy - just perfect. Roudnitska was the bomb in the 1950's, wasn't he?
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

I would love to be wearing the original 1952 version of Tresor by Lancome but instead must make do with the reissue in 1990. SFMedusa I think we're in the spirit of the sync because it does say first created or introduced or something like that. I so envy those of you with the original vintage Diorissimo. I had some once but back then it wasn't considered vintage. (LOL)

Betsy
    Items in my wardrobe not in the fragrance directory:
    Exhilarators (Elizabeth Arden Bath and Body Spa from 1980's - no relation to Sun Flowers )
    Chanel No. 5 Voile

(((RHM))) deepest sympathies! I am so sorry to hear of your loss.
    (((Quarry))) hope your day goes as well as possible!
    (((30R!))) Congrats on your anniversary!
    (((Mike))) can I give you a big hug too, for sharing such a lovely story? It all sounds like an amazing dream come true! And, you smell fabulous!!!!

What lovely old bottles are pictured today! I am thoroughly enjoying the sync today in Monsieur de Givenchy. TGIF!
    There are always flowers for those who want to see them.
    ~ Henri Matisse

Basenotes Plus

[QUOTE=CapriDog;3208212]

Amouage Fate for Woman

Have a great Friday everyone!

ClaireV - I'm loving your illustration!

CapriDog, thanks! I love your illustrations too, and always wonder where you find such lovely artwork! I usually have to trawl through Google images for a good while to find something suitable. Love Fate Woman too! I think it is a masterpiece.
    ― Edgar Allan Poe

Basenotes Plus

Mike - what an AMAZING find!!! Thanks for sharing that with us! $20 indeed, you cheeky little bugger!

Happy 22nd wedding anniversary 30 Roses, that is amazing! And if you are not in the least bit tempted to kick the ladder from out under his legs, well then, I guess it must have been a good 22 years

I am wearing Czech and Speake's Dark Rose tonight.....it's very soapy. Has anyone tried Black Oud? I want a really dark, animalic rose.
    ― Edgar Allan Poe

Basenotes Plus

[QUOTE=ClaireV;3208488]
    Quote Originally Posted by CapriDog View Post
    CapriDog, thanks! I love your illustrations too, and always wonder where you find such lovely artwork! I usually have to trawl through Google images for a good while to find something suitable. Love Fate Woman too! I think it is a masterpiece.
    I love Fate Woman too and it's fantastic. Most of the pics I got were from National Geographic. Sometimes it's a bit difficult for me to find a pic that can illustrate the journey I got out of a scent so I just go with whatever pic looks nice :-)

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Puma View Post

This is great stuff.

Basenotes Plus

Many, many heartfelt thanks for your prayers, hugs & thoughtful posts. We are in the midst of making arrangements that will bring us back to Jersey City for the funeral.
    I had a hard time keeping it together today at work. Luckily, I have understanding bosses who are giving me the time off I need.

I have no idea what the sync was today but I wore Serge Lutens Bois de Violette & it was perfect for the day.

On a much happier note, happy anniversary to Mr. & Mrs 30 Roses!

Here's some of my very favorite roses for you!

RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Shanghai Lily this evening

Blog Entries

Thanks everyone! (Claire, you made me chuckle!)

RHM, I will be thinking of you as you head back to NJ.

Armani Code Sport

CdG Black

(((RHM))), I am so very sorry about your aunt. She sounds like a very strong, independent woman. May your memories bring you comfort.

((sfmedusa)), I hope you have a better day tomorrow.

Quarry, I've been thinking about you today. I hope all went well.

SotD was Serge Lutens Un Bois Vanille.