Code of Conduct

Thread: Cocktails

Default Cocktails

I'm talking about the lovely alcoholic beverages.

I was reading an article about mixology and how good/famous bartenders go about perfecting certain drinks, and how certain cocktails will only taste right with a certain brand of aged rum, and how specific Gin/vodka:vermouth ratios make a big difference in a martini. Also the science behind the shaking/stirring to cause the right amount of ice dilution to mellow the alcohol in the spirits. Got me thinking about the relation with perfumery. So anybody here enjoy mixing their own cocktails? Any favourites? Do you find that your interest in perfumery also makes you more discerning with your taste buds?

Default Re: Cocktails

Quote Originally Posted by darcy666 View Post
    So anybody here enjoy mixing their own cocktails? Any favourites?
    When I am in my tropical home I love mixing pitanga, umbu and vodka as an afternoon cocktail.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I have a bottle of orange blossom water that I'm trying to use in drinks, though not successfully so far. I have this theory that it could work in a Greyhound, as it's just gin and grapefruit juice mixed together, but I haven't figured out the right amount yet. Either it becomes too perfumery or the orange blossom doesn't come through at all.
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity.
    There is no cure for curiosity."
    - Dorothy Parker

Blog Entries

http://liquor.com/recipes/aviation/

This recipe is for a drink called Aviation which calls for Créme de Violette. It has the most delightful perfumed effect. If you like lemon and violet (and gin) you will love this drink! Serve in a chilled glass!

There just aren't enough violet perfumes out there to satisfy the general population. This drink is a great stop-gap.

furry:

I don't do cocktails myself, but orange blossom water works wonderfully in certain italian cakes. For instance, you can make an orange blossom sugar cake.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    furry:

I don't do cocktails myself, but orange blossom water works wonderfully in certain italian cakes. For instance, you can make an orange blossom sugar cake.

cacio
    Sorry cacio, baking is beyond me.
    Until I figure out something else, I use it to make Lebanese café blanc; a splash of orange blossom in boiling water, add a dash of honey.
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity.
    There is no cure for curiosity."
    - Dorothy Parker

The cafe blanc sounds interesting, I had never heard of it.

cacio

one thing I will say as I've dabbled a tiny bit with mixing is unlike cooking, you can't just throw in a dash of this or that. The proportions really are a bit of a science as much as an art. I've combined flavors that make sense together but if you're not measuring or working a formula many times, it just doesn't work. I'm sure most of us can come up with ideas for good combinations of fragrance notes, but the technical side of mixing them is more complicated than just dropping together a few essential oils and shaking with ice, er, alcohol
    Tom Ford Splits!!!!
    Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Noir de Noir, Oud Wood
    Plum Japonais,
    Lavender Palm, Tobacco Oud, Café Rose, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

I generally prefer to get them done by a professional, but I have been enjoying a range of gin and tonics. I love the impact of the different botanicals.

Particularly enjoying Hendricks G&T as they use rose and cucumber in the botanicals and one adds sliced cucumber to the G&T instead of lime.
    Signature Scent

Quote Originally Posted by kumquat View Post
    http://liquor.com/recipes/aviation/

This recipe is for a drink called Aviation which calls for Créme de Violette. It has the most delightful perfumed effect. If you like lemon and violet (and gin) you will love this drink! Serve in a chilled glass!

There just aren't enough violet perfumes out there to satisfy the general population. This drink is a great stop-gap.
    Sounds wonderful - must look out for Creme de Violette.

I make some simple ones - a few favourites are:

Elderflower gimlet: 1/3 elderflower liqueur, 1/3 gin, 1/3 lime juice, shake with lots of ice.

Margarita: 1/4 triple sec, 1/4 lime juice, 1/2 tequila, lots of ice again.

Italian Valium: 1/2 Amaretto, 1/2 gin, stir.

I paricularly enjoy Daiquiris as served in Havana's La Floridita bar. Mint Julep and New Orleans are favorites, too. Of course Gin Tonic o'clock is not be missed - favorite gins are Giplin's, Sipsmith and Portobello Road with 6 o'Clock Tonic.