Code of Conduct

Thread: Concrete

Basenotes Member

Default Concrete

Is it possible to use concretes in a formula or should an absolute be used instead. If so how should the concrete be prepared. Also will it give a different effect from the absolute. I have a blue lavender concrete which is a lavender spica Provence var. and a kashmir lavender concrete along with a lavender anguistafolia absolute and a couple rare lavender essential oils and I'm trying to make a lavender accord using all of them along with a few aroma chems I would like some thoughts on how to combine them and what chems to use to make a longer lasting lavender dominant perfume.

Default Re: Concrete

Concretes are often used in fragrances that are not going to go into ethanol. Concretes tend to be cheaper and can be used in Soaps, Creams, Shower Gels and even detergent products. If you use them in an alcoholic product you will probably get a cloudy deposits forming. This is all the non alcohol soluble material found in the concrete. If you do get this, leave your alcoholic fragrance in a cold place for a few days, then filter it. You should be left with a clear liquid.

Lavender Absolutes and Concretes should increase the longevity of your Lavender fragrance. You could also try using Clary Sage oil and Absolute, some Geranium Oil, and some Musk.

Basenotes Member

Thank you David. How would I and is it worth it to turn the concrete to an absolute also could the clary and geranium be used in small amounts as to only prolong the lavender without altering the lavender aroma. I know lavender is fleeting and it can be difficult to try and make it last but im trying to find the proper synthetics to aid me b

The way to turn a Concrete into an Absolute is to add absolute alcohol to your Concrete. Stir is to dissolve the ethanol soluble materials, then filter off the ethanol insoluble materials. Then remove the ethanol without removing any of the odiferous materials from the Absolute. The last bit, is the tricky bit. Personally, I don't think it is worth it.

I suggest various ingredients to increase the longevity of your Lavender accord; how you use them is up to you. Anything you add to a fragrance, at whatever level, will affect the final result. You could also try Coumarin, or Tonka Bean Abs.
    Last edited by David Ruskin; 3rd August 2014 at 09:33 AM.

I know lavender is fleeting and it can be difficult to try and make it last but im trying to find the proper synthetics. I'm trying to make a lavender accord using all of them along with a few aroma chemicals.

Jolly good for you.

lol

The well-known “fixative” for lavender is Exaltolide, but the proper composition/fixative proportion can be assessed only by trial and error.

Poucher gives many elaborate formulas for lavender water.