Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default Help me decide what to purchase next...decisions...

So I think I'm going to grab one more bottle before football season rolls around, and I do nothing but obsess over that, and fantasy football.

I am sitting on a 10ML decant of Reflection Man and Musc Ravageur, I also have 2.5ML spray samples of Amouage Epic / Dia / Interlude / Memoir. I also have a 10ML split of By Killian Apple Brandy coming to me shortly. So, I'm thinking I might have fall / winter under control, on top of the full bottles that are noted in my wardrobe, which is current.

1) Creed - Green Irish Tweed : Back up bottle of a 13T02 batch at a really good price ($120 shipped). I've been hearing really bad things about the 2014 stuff, so I'm up in the air about whether or not I should invest in a back up bottle. I already have a backup of Aventus, but I wear both of these A LOT.

2) Creed - Millesime Imperial - I have a 5ML decant that is growing on me. Fall is quickly approaching, but I'm starting to really fall for this one.

3) Creed - Original Santal - The sample I have is growing on me. I think it might be worth picking up a bottle.

4) Heeley - Sel Marin - Another great one I like a lot.

5) Tom Ford - Tuscan Leather - Would probably get a split/decant of this, not FB. I've tried it at Nordstroms a bit, and I really like the leather.

Honorable mentions:

If there were a split on MDCI Invasion Barbare, this thread would not exist lol. I don't really feel a full bottle of Reflection Man is warranted, considering the decant I have.

I've also been debating going back to checking out the A*Men line, as I do not own any and I've sampled a few I thought were ok. Nothing really blew me away when sampling though. I'm also interested in possibly checking out the Dior Homme Eau for Men, as I haven't seen much about that one.

Default Re: Help me decide what to purchase next...decisions...

I'd go with the Heeley from your list.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Check out Noir de Noir from Tom Ford. Good for the upcoming winter.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Check out Noir de Noir from Tom Ford. Good for the upcoming winter.
    I actually did, 3 times in the past month. I kind of liked it the first time around, and the last 2 I walked away with a negative opinion. I'm planning on stopping in to Nordstroms tomorrow morning to take another spin with Tuscan Leather, check out TdH EdP, and look around the mall for various A*men flankers prior to making a decision. I'll make a note to check out Noir de Noir again, thanks!

I'm also going to give my MDCI IB sample another spin tonight, and see how I feel about it.

Creed Original Santal. Much more versatile than expected.

You can't have too much GIT and getting backup that isn't 2014 batch is probably a good idea... But MI is fantastic and if you don't have a full bottle yet I'd say grab that first. You mentioned A*Men and as someone who doesn't enjoy any of the other Muglers, I do love Pure Havane. Always worth a sample there.

Have you tried Mont Blanc Individuel? I have a 10ml sample of Original Santal and stopped using it completely after getting the Mont Blanc. Wife and I both prefer Individuel and I got a FB for maybe $20-25. And I'm not one who would say get Cool Water over GIT or AB Silver over Aventus

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Neek127 View Post
    You can't have too much GIT and getting backup that isn't 2014 batch is probably a good idea... But MI is fantastic and if you don't have a full bottle yet I'd say grab that first. You mentioned A*Men and as someone who doesn't enjoy any of the other Muglers, I do love Pure Havane. Always worth a sample there.

Have you tried Mont Blanc Individuel? I have a 10ml sample of Original Santal and stopped using it completely after getting the Mont Blanc. Wife and I both prefer Individuel and I got a FB for maybe $20-25. And I'm not one who would say get Cool Water over GIT or AB Silver over Aventus
    My first dilemma is something new, or getting that back up. $120 for that backup is a pretty good deal, and the window on that is closing. MI is growing on me, but that fruity melon blast on top gives me pause. Don't get me wrong, I enjoy it, but I just feel it might be a bit much. I'm going to use my decant Sunday and wear it all day to see how I feel about it.

A*Men I liked initially, then went back and sampled again and thought "meh". I smelled both that and Pure Malt the last time I was in Macy's and wasn't super impressed. With all of the love they get, I'll give it another chance before I close the door on them. I have not seen Pure Havane in a department store, unfortunately.

I had a bottle of MBI that I blind bought after initially liking Original Santal. I did not like it, at all. OS, to me, seems much smoother. I ended up selling MBI to a coworker, that actually tossed it in his truck seat on a 95 degree day and left it there for 8 hours. It blew up and his truck now reeks of MBI, with no end in sight. I also own Cool Water and GiT, and don't find them similar. I take "comparisons" of fragrances now with a grain of salt.

Decisions, decisions!

Some other great fragrances with sweetness, try Carner Barcelona D600 and Guerlain Habit Rouge EDP

Tuscan Leather and Noir de Noir are great fragrances. You might not get a very positive impression sampling in the summer though. They may seem cloying in warm weather. These two are great winter scents.
    Quote Originally Posted by sdotlow View Post
    I actually did, 3 times in the past month. I kind of liked it the first time around, and the last 2 I walked away with a negative opinion. I'm planning on stopping in to Nordstroms tomorrow morning to take another spin with Tuscan Leather, check out TdH EdP, and look around the mall for various A*men flankers prior to making a decision. I'll make a note to check out Noir de Noir again, thanks!

I'm also going to give my MDCI IB sample another spin tonight, and see how I feel about it.

Heeley's man... go with that one in your list.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
    Heeley's man... go with that one in your list.
    That's my front runner right now to be honest. I really like Sel Marin. I've also been considering other stuff from their line because of how much I enjoy sel marin, any others you'd suggest? I only ever hear Sel Marin mentioned (and menthe fraiche, but that's always negative).

I do want to give TL a spin tomorrow. I'll try and get a sample in nordstroms. Might even take one of my 5ML atomizer to make my own

Basenotes Plus

Got back from my nordstrom visit this morning with 3x 4ML of neroli portifino, tuscan leather, and oud wood. Picked up a 4ML of cafe rose for my mom, and jo Malone velvet rose & oud for my gf. TF rep recognized me from meeting me once 2 months or so ago. Love her. She saw me across the store and had a couple samples ready for me when I walked up. I know someone mentioned a couple weeks back that TF don't give out samples, definitely not the case. Dumped them all in 5ml glass atomizers I have.

While looking at designer stuff, Hanae mori HM EDP caught my attention, great scent I'll definitely pick up. Also Hermes d'orange Verte concentree was very enjoyable. Might pick this up too if I can find a good price.

Hanae Mori HiM was too much like GPH2 imho, but with a twist I didn't care for. Spicebomb actually wasn't too bad.

Sat around with Sel Marin on my wrist when I got home from work yesterday, and around hour 5 it was starting to annoy me. Scratching this off my list, and TL now that I'm sitting on 4ML.

No A*men at all for some reason. They had it 2 weeks ago. Going to hit Sephora tomorrow.

Right now definitely leaning one of the 3 Creeds I have listed.

Quote Originally Posted by Oslo-Fjord View Post
    Creed Original Santal. Much more versatile than expected.
    +1.
    For Sale:Gucci Pour Homme II , Amouage Attar,Lubin Idole http://www.basenotes.net/threads/313...dwide-Shipping

I personally would NOT buy more GIT. You already own it. I'd buy something new instead.

Millesime Imperial would be my pick In fact, it was my pick for a new bottle a few months ago, and I enjoy it very much. Ebates is doing 6% cash back from fragrancenet, which brings the price of a 4oz bottle of MI down to around $130.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    I personally would NOT buy more GIT. You already own it. I'd buy something new instead.

Millesime Imperial would be my pick In fact, it was my pick for a new bottle a few months ago, and I enjoy it very much. Ebates is doing 6% cash back from fragrancenet, which brings the price of a 4oz bottle of MI down to around $130.
    Girlfriend just ordered MI for me as an anniversary gift, that gets knocked off the list now.

Basenotes Member

Girlfriend just ordered MI for me as an anniversary gift, that gets knocked off the list now.
    Awesome, make sure you thank her! That would be my pick.

Go with OS

Sel Marin is a scent I've had in my collection for a while...Its a fantastic scent and I need to wear it more for sure...
    CURRENT TOP TEN FOR FALL/WINTER:
    1.) Helmut Lang Cuiron (Vintage)
    2.) Tiffany for men (Vintage)
    3.) Bel Ami Vetiver
    4.) New York Intense
    5.) Nicolai Carre d'as
    6.) Cartier Declaration Essence
    7.) Frederick Malle's VE/Sycomore
    8.) Houbigant Fougere Royale
    9.) L'Homme Sage
    10.) Bond no. 9 Scent of Peace

Basenotes Member

I had a bottle of MBI that I blind bought after initially liking Original Santal. I did not like it, at all. OS, to me, seems much smoother. I ended up selling MBI to a coworker, that actually tossed it in his truck seat on a 95 degree day and left it there for 8 hours. It blew up and his truck now reeks of MBI, with no end in sight. I also own Cool Water and GiT, and don't find them similar. I take "comparisons" of fragrances now with a grain of salt.

Decisions, decisions!
    Lol

That's my front runner right now to be honest. I really like Sel Marin. I've also been considering other stuff from their line because of how much I enjoy sel marin, any others you'd suggest? I only ever hear Sel Marin mentioned (and menthe fraiche, but that's always negative).
    To be honest, I'm very recently learning this house. Menthe Fraiche does indeed smell like toothpaste to me. But there's more from this house that's worth sampling. I'm a citrus lover, so Oranges and Lemons Say The Bells of St. Clements has my attention. I'm not a vetiver fan - love a few, but not the hardcore ones that BN seems to love like Guerlain Vetiver, I'm more of a Tom Ford Grey Vetiver fan instead - but Heeley's Vetiver Veritas has my attention.

There's more to discover, I'm sure of. Just do what you're doing now... take your time, buy your absolute loves.

I'd go with Original Santal from your list. With football season approaching, it's the best of the bunch for the cooler and winter season ahead.

Basenotes Plus

So I bought a back 13T02 bottle of Green Irish Tweed. With the price hike and the shoddy 2014 batches, I had to.

AND!

I bought Bond No.9 Bleecker St. Received my 5ML decant I ordered over the weekend and it's been on wrist for about 3 hours. Wow. Loving this scent. I hate the company, but love this scent. Not worth full retail, but easy buy for $150 imho.

Dig deep into your pocket and go for a simple presentation bottle of MDCI Invasion Barbare. You will not regret it!

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Viffer View Post
    Dig deep into your pocket and go for a simple presentation bottle of MDCI Invasion Barbare. You will not regret it!
    You know, I was wearing my sample over the weekend. I always run my samples by my GF, as she has a really good nose. I couldn't put my thumb on what Invasion Barbare reminded me, but she did - that stuff a barber puts on my neck when I get a shape up. Completely ruined the scent for me

With all due respect for your GF. She does not have a good nose IB is not barber shop talcum powder... Not even close!
    still, as the saying goes, horses for courses
    Last edited by Viffer; 4th August 2014 at 08:32 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Viffer View Post
    With all due respect for your GF. She does not have a good nose IB is not barber shop talcum powder... Not even close!
    still, as the saying goes, horses for courses
    LOL, not the powder.

It's the aftershave stuff. I thought it was Brut the last time I was there, but I didn't see Brut on the bottle and I didn't recognize it. It's quite similar, obviously not identical. Or, at least it was to my nose (and hers). I'll try and grab the name when I'm in there Saturday getting a shape up.

Where did you get your IB sample from?
    If not direct from MDCI, it could have turned or worst, it could have been a nock off.
    My IB (full presentation bottle) smells great and, is nothing like anything I have ever experienced in the many barber shops I have visited over the last 40 odd years!
    IB smells expensive and masterfully blended from the word go! For me is a must have!

You thinking of that Pinaud clubman stuff?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by rxavage View Post
    You thinking of that Pinaud clubman stuff?
    Not sure what it was. I Googled it and it was something in that same vein for certain.

Go for the Heeley.