Code of Conduct

Default Just got bottle in mail. Chipping on lettering means what?

I just got a bottle of Creeds Aventus from a well known store.

Everything is fine but the lettering is chipped. The bottle is new because it took a few pumps to get the juice out.

What does this indicate? Bad storage? Defect from factory? stored in heat? It brand new in box from Walgreens.

Should i return it?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Default Re: Just got bottle in mail. Chipping on lettering means what?

It means that merchandise that's offered online is offered online for a reason.

Need a better response than that.

This is from Walgreens.

As long as it smells good; I think it's just that the "UPS Gorillas" got a bit too aggressive with your package. I can totally understand that you'd want your bottle to be pristine, but sometimes stuff like that happens. My GIT had a nick on the base of the bottle that initially bothered me, but the scent was great so I stopped caring.

Regardless of whatever you decide, good luck. Hope you find a solution that doesn't bother you. But be wary of the UPS Gorillas... they're real

Quote Originally Posted by gerbick View Post
    As long as it smells good; I think it's just that the "UPS Gorillas" got a bit too aggressive with your package. I can totally understand that you'd want your bottle to be pristine, but sometimes stuff like that happens. My GIT had a nick on the base of the bottle that initially bothered me, but the scent was great so I stopped caring.

Regardless of whatever you decide, good luck. Hope you find a solution that doesn't bother you. But be wary of the UPS Gorillas... they're real
    I don't see how the box in transit would cause this.

The bottle was in its original packing which is a box that has no damage. and on top of that, the box was in a bigger box with bubble wrap.

The bottle also has a nick on it and a the cap is so loose it will just fall right off if put upside down.

If the smell is solid then i will keep it. Just didn't expect this from a 200+ priced scent.

I have a bigger problem that you got this from a Walgreens...huh?! Maybe it's just my little podunk Walgreens, but since when did they start carrying/selling niche stuff?!

How does it smell? More than likely, it happened before being packaged. Creed doesn't have the best quality control.

Quote Originally Posted by bigbz View Post
    I have a bigger problem that you got this from a Walgreens...huh?! Maybe it's just my little podunk Walgreens, but since when did they start carrying/selling niche stuff?!
    http://www.walgreens.com/search/resu...duct&Ntt=Creed
    Directory contribution link:-
    http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php

I have purchased a couple different higher-end bottles from Walgreens website at unbelievable prices and have always been highly satisfied. I would contact Creed directly and see what they say. Based on my past experiences, I would be blown away if it was fake.

When $330 bottles of fragrance are offered online at a discount, through a third party vendor, there's a reason for that. Quite often, it's because there is a small defect with the bottle. Hence the reason your bottle has some paint missing, and you therefore paid far below retail for it.

The response in post #2, that you apparently didn't like, is actually correct.

Any Creed bottle/packaging without defect is probably fake.
    Well, it's cheaper than therapy... edit: No it's not...

Quote Originally Posted by StayNFresh View Post
    I don't see how the box in transit would cause this.

The bottle was in its original packing which is a box that has no damage. and on top of that, the box was in a bigger box with bubble wrap.

The bottle also has a nick on it and a the cap is so loose it will just fall right off if put upside down.

If the smell is solid then i will keep it. Just didn't expect this from a 200+ priced scent.
    Defects happen, place the bottle in the box and vigorously shake it, it'll make contact with the sides. Just imagine if there was another box on top of it, or it were placed faced down. It can contact the insides of the box - those Creed boxes aren't made of exceptionally sturdy materials.

Sounds like you've already made up your mind. Then replace it. I'm quite sure they'd make an arrangement with you. Again, I don't blame you - but my own GIT from Nieman Marcus came delivered with a nick on the bottle. How did it get there? Heck if I know.

Quote Originally Posted by Mick_Trick View Post
    Any Creed bottle/packaging without defect is probably fake.
    Ha! Especially if the cap fits on tight...

I love Creed scents. I own 4 bottles (Aventus, MI and 2 of Royal Oud) but I have to say, their quality control suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks. The sticker on my Aventus was already peeling off when I received it due to a poor glue job on the edge. For such a luxury item, I have every right to expect better. Did I mention that the cap is so loose I don't even use it? Sheesh.

That being said... these are just cosmetic defects. The juice smells fantastic. Two years later, the sticker hasn't peeled any further than it was when it arrived, and the cap is in the box because I don't use it. Whatever.

Crap quality control.
    Excellent fragrances.

Walgreens has some interesting stuff available online, and sometimes, some surprising things can really be a bargain.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Unlike some others, what I fear is that I might get a returned product that is actually fake. In other words, some creep bought a real one and "returned" a fake, keeping the real one. I'd be especially concerned if the company was known for high quality control standards (Creed does not qualify, IMO), if the item was very popular, or if the store was not "high end." This is all just my opinion, of course, but I'd rather take my chances on ebay because at least in that context I am very wary and often do not buy even if the price is great. All that said, i would be surprised if you got a fake, though you might have gotten a returned (though real) bottle.

The paint they use on the bottles flakes off. It doesn't take much for it to come off either. My last bottle of Millesime Imperial looked terrible after using it just a few times. So I removed all of the paint myself.

Paint flakes, the ribbed black cover on Aventus curls, atomizers stop working or dribble...

It has nothing to do with where you bought it from. Mine came from Neimans.
    Last edited by aphexacid; 1st August 2014 at 09:49 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post
    The paint they use on the bottles flakes off. It doesn't take much for it to come off either. My last bottle of Millesime Imperial looked terrible after using it just a few times. So I removed all of the paint myself.

Paint flakes, the ribbed black cover on Aventus curls, atomizers stop working or dribble...

It has nothing to do with where you bought it from. Mine came from Neimans.
    Should their motto be: "Creed, where the old saying, you get what you pay for, does not apply?" LOL.

Bigsly, I'm sure that when a product is returned, there's a system in place for what happens to returned products. No reputable shop is going to get a return and ship it back out without inspecting it. Nor would they get a return and sell it as new. There's a difference between buying from a store - even an online store - and buying from some dude on ebay.

I got a fake Fahrenheit on ebay, and man was that experience miserable. Ebay wanted me to return the bottle to the seller (who would obviously just sell it to someone else). In fact, I did some research and found that the seller had multiple banned ebay accounts already! It took ebay at least another 9 months to finally ban the seller again, but she's probably back with a new identity there. Ebay is like the wild west. I didn't return the Fahrenheit, by the way. I took it to the police, who officially confiscated it and gave me a receipt, which I then turned over to Paypal and ebay. That was the only way for me to get my money back while preventing an unscrupulous seller from selling it again. Until the police got involved, paypal and ebay fought me every step of the way.

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Bigsly, I'm sure that when a product is returned, there's a system in place for what happens to returned products. No reputable shop is going to get a return and ship it back out without inspecting it. Nor would they get a return and sell it as new. There's a difference between buying from a store - even an online store - and buying from some dude on ebay.

I got a fake Fahrenheit on ebay, and man was that experience miserable. Ebay wanted me to return the bottle to the seller (who would obviously just sell it to someone else). In fact, I did some research and found that the seller had multiple banned ebay accounts already! It took ebay at least another 9 months to finally ban the seller again, but she's probably back with a new identity there. Ebay is like the wild west. I didn't return the Fahrenheit, by the way. I took it to the police, who officially confiscated it and gave me a receipt, which I then turned over to Paypal and ebay. That was the only way for me to get my money back while preventing an unscrupulous seller from selling it again. Until the police got involved, paypal and ebay fought me every step of the way.
    Wow, what a nightmare. Good job figuring out how to get your money back without returning the bottle to the seller, though!

I didn't know where were paying for glamorous bottles instead of amazing fragrances.

Quote Originally Posted by rxavage View Post
    I didn't know where were paying for glamorous bottles instead of amazing fragrances.
    When paying over $75, I think it's only fair to expect both a quality fragrance and a quality bottle.

Bigsly, I'm sure that when a product is returned, there's a system in place for what happens to returned products...
    You are allowed to feel any way you like. I am the sort of person who either gets verification or else I decide I have to make my own determinations, generally-speaking of course. In this case, I have no idea whether a drug store chain trains people to spot fake Aventus bottles.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    You are allowed to feel any way you like. I am the sort of person who either gets verification or else I decide I have to make my own determinations, generally-speaking of course. In this case, I have no idea whether a drug store chain trains people to spot fake Aventus bottles.
    They don't. The bottles likely go back to Creed, eventually to be sold as open box or testers, and there's likely a chargeback system to credit the store's account with Creed. A store is basically just a reseller. Products come in as new stock. Products sell and go out. Returns come in. Returns go back to their source.

Holy moly! Well I'll be danged, thanks llp....I learn something new everyday!

To OP, if it smells right and your OK with the chips....I'd keep it. If not, just return it. I gotta admit, I'd be a wee bit peeved if I paid a couple hundred dollars for a bottle of scent and it came that tore up looking!

Walgreens sold it, but it came from the Gray Market... So, it could have been in a hot warehouse for the last 3 years, or bouncing around the back of a truck across a continent... Maybe it was out of the box on display in a little shop in a city on the other side of the world, where it was later put back in the box and returned to the distributor or another seller, etc...

Bottom line: They really need to find a new suppler for bottles/packaging. That issue could happen directly from Creed. But in this case it didn't. You want to save $100 or more? That is something you have to understand - you just don't know where it's been, or how it's been treated.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    6. Puredistance - Black
    7. Tom Ford - Plum Japonais
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Creed - Royal Oud
    10. Chanel - Egoiste

Basenotes Plus

All of those online only purchases through walgreens are actually through fragrancenet.com, or so I recall reading.

I believe it's the same for target, sears and overstock.

I would guess either a production defect or it had been languishing in a warehouse for quite a while. If it smells fine, you're fine.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

They don't. The bottles likely go back to Creed, eventually to be sold as open box or testers, and there's likely a chargeback system to credit the store's account with Creed. A store is basically just a reseller. Products come in as new stock. Products sell and go out. Returns come in. Returns go back to their source.
    But how do you know this? Where is the verification?

It's most likely an inventory feed into the Walgreen's website fulfilled by another vendor (which could be the issue) that supplies to Walgreen. You'll never see this in their brick & mortar stores.

Holy moly! Well I'll be danged, thanks llp....I learn something new everyday!
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project.

*** NEW Lavhim (Lavender, Incense, Candle Wax, Clove, Fir Needles, Cognac & Green Leaves)*** / Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.)

It means that you bought Creed.

Quote Originally Posted by Wheatstraw2 View Post
    Well said

Um... Isn't it common knowledge or something here on BN that they're supplied from FragranceNet?...
    (Formerly Jouho)

Quote Originally Posted by Wheatstraw2 View Post
    True. The reason is to move overstock at a considerable discount, advantageous to buyers.

Only if it really bothers you.

for swap/sale: