Code of Conduct

Default How long do you sample before buying a bottle?

I want to buy Tauer's L'air du Desert Marocain. Problem is I just received the sample today.
    Being burned on a bottle of Greed Aventus, I've realized I may be buying a bit too impulsively. Maybe buying full bottles days after sampling something may not be such a good idea.

What does it take for you to splurge on a full bottle? How long do you wear it for?

PS: What else by Tauer is orth checking out?

Default Re: How long do you sample before buying a bottle?

Depends on the fragrance but generally, I do three full wearings spread out over the course of 2-3 weeks.

There are some really nice fragrances in the Tauer line. Just be sure to keep them away from your salad.

I personally don't sample before buying unless I just happen to be in the store by coincidence at the time. I just buy it blind if I want it in my collection - end of story. That's just me.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Get a decant first.

Once... maybe twice from one sample vial and then I either buy or move on.

I give things minimum 2 wearings, usually 3. You have to see day, night, even a season or two. He's not going to reformulate or discontinue it so I'd say take your time and wear it thoroughly to see the whole development.

There are ones I've insta-bought but I've smelled probably a thousand scents and own a couple of hundred so I know my tastes really well and what I already own. But honestly even then I rarely buy at retail, so it still takes me a few days to track it down online and get a good price so I always have time to wear or at least resmell something a good few times before buying.
    Tom Ford Splits!!!!
    Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Noir de Noir, Oud Wood
    Plum Japonais,
    Lavender Palm, Tobacco Oud, Café Rose, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

I wear my sample 2-3 times before buying a full bottle. That is with fragrances I like straight off. If I have to think about it then it isn't FBW.
    What I'd like to try

!Prices-RRrreduced!Must-Go!-UK-Only-Kilian-Extreme-Oud-Ensar-Oud-AgarAura Oud-Xerjoff-Ormonde-Jayne-Tom-Ford

My UK Swapsies!

Need some Roja help: Need a Roja cap, any one (gave away my Fetish cap)
    Also my Harrods Oud bottle needs a cap
    Muchas gracias

Sometimes I may wear it a few times, sometimes I may have it on for 5 minutes before making my decision. I almost always know within a few hours of the 1st wearing whether I will buy it or not.

Other Tauers:
    Noontide Petals is pretty decent
    Phi - Une Rose de Kandahar is the only other "winner" (other than LDDM) IMO.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. by Kilian - Incense Oud
    5. Puredistance - Black
    6. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    7. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    8. Brückner - Aoud 1
    9. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    10. Creed - Royal Oud

It can take from a few minutes to a few weeks or even months of testing- sometimes the fragrance simply catches my attention from the start, on other occasions, it can take quite a while until even a fragrance perceived as unassuming at first can eventually reveal a note, an aspect, a development I might like.

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Sometimes I may wear it a few times, sometimes I may have it on for 5 minutes before making my decision. I almost always know within a few hours of the 1st wearing whether I will buy it or not.
    I wish I was like this but for whatever reason (whether I like a fragrance within the first few hours or not), I often find that my impression of a fragrance changes quite a bit on the second wearing -- sometimes to the point where I do a complete 180.

Quote Originally Posted by caferacer View Post
    I wish I was like this but for whatever reason (whether I like a fragrance within the first few hours or not), I often find that my impression of a fragrance changes quite a bit on the second wearing -- sometimes to the point where I do a complete 180.
    Yeah, welcome to my world. Worse yet, I can do a 180 again after that.

Most of the time, two or three wears. However, there are some times that I know more immediately after sampling and make a purchase right away.
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project.

*** NEW Lavhim (Lavender, Incense, Candle Wax, Clove, Fir Needles, Cognac & Green Leaves)*** / Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.)

Upon further reflection, I think L'air du Desert has the same problem as Chergui for me - they're both excellent, but when would I wear either?

I can't think of anything but a fancy dinner date.

Quote Originally Posted by Vladdypwnz View Post
    Yeah, welcome to my world. Worse yet, I can do a 180 again after that.
    Yup, same as me.

After two or three wears.

It is often a year or more from when I first sample to when I ...well, at that point I usually have to re-order a sample because the old one is gone/evaporated/lost, whatever. If a scent is still on my mind after a year, and I re-order a sample and still love it, then it's a surefire safe bet to add to the wardrobe.
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

For example, the next FB i am likely to purchase, H&G Askew, I first smelled in 2011. It went from love to hate... but years later I had the urge to revisit it and see if I could rediscover the love. Just got some samples a few weeks ago and have been wearing it almost non-stop. Pretty sure it's FBW now
    ***For sale:

Iris Pallida 50ml

Ungaro I 75ml

and more!
    - http://www.basenotes.net/threads/301...n-Man-and-more

I hate giving you the answer I'm about to give, but it's the truth. I tend to just know. And it varies as to when I know.

L'Air du Desert Marocain was one of the few scents where I smelled it and knew immediately that I needed to own it. Still, I didn't buy. I sprayed my arm and left the shop. I figured it was wise to make sure I gave it time to see how it developed on my skin. A few hours later, I was already regretting not having bought a bottle, and I returned the next day to buy it. As you sample it, keep in mind that LDDM is really two scents in one oh so sexy bottle. It starts out with those dry dusty spices. God, I love it! But it evolves over a period of hours into that rich smooth amber. God, I LOVE IT! I don't find it particularly difficult to wear.

The same day that I first smelled LDDM, I also smelled Interlude Man by Amouage. I was immediately awed by the scent, but it was beyond anything I'd ever smelled before. I sprayed a business card with it and it lasted for days on that card. I got a sample. I liked it, but I just wasn't sure. I bought another 2.5ml spray sample. I went through that too. And let me tell you, Interlude Man is so strong that 2.5ml goes a LONG way. It took me 8 months to finally commit to buying a bottle, but Interlude has become my all time favorite scent.

So there you have it. Sometimes you know in an instant. Other times, it takes ages to figure out.

When in doubt, buy a sample and finish the entire sample before committing either way. Generally speaking, your doubt is telling you something. The question is, what? My doubts on Interlude were about whether or not I had the courage to pull off such a bombastic scent. I do, but I know when and where to wear it, and I know when not to. Pay attention to your doubts and figure out what they're about.

It's funny that you mentioned Chergui. I love Chergui, but it's one that I still have doubts about. I haven't made up my mind yet. I guess I need another sample! I know I love it, but just like you said above... I find myself wondering... when would I wear it?
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

For me, some as soon as I smell them I know then and there that it's fbw other take a bit of time.
    For instance the first time I sampled creed jardin d'amalfi I really didn't like it and couldn't possibly wonder what all the fuss was about, that was in summer, put the sample away and then come spring one night I pulled out the sample tested it out again and instantly fell in love.

So my advice is grab a whole bunch of samples, test them for a few days and if any stand out immediately then get a bottle, for the ones that your a bit iffy with, put them away and test as others have said day, night and different seasons

If it really is true love at first sniff all the way to dry down then of course FB it …. but…. if in doubt, leave it out. Sample till the sample's gone. If the sample hasn't gone down very fast then you don't need it. If still not sure, then buy another sample first. Testing a sample heavily for me invariably leads to the no in the end. I'm usually in love straight away if it is FBW but only because I have smelled so very many fragrances already.

The only exception I have is Dzing because after the first sample, I then bought ten x 1ml samples all at once, but only because I couldn't afford the FB and the price worked out the same per ml approx. Look into that aspect when unsure. Sometimes the 1ml decant price is near equivalent to the FB or at least cheaper and less trouble than disposing of a mistake.

You're not alone with doing that.

Many fragrances in my collection were blind buys, where I noted the cologne had notes I like, and did some online research to read what other's thought. I really haven't been disappointed with anything I've bought. Now, I will say that for some colognes, I will see if I can get a sample to wear for a couple different days to see what I think before buying

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I personally don't sample before buying unless I just happen to be in the store by coincidence at the time. I just buy it blind if I want it in my collection - end of story. That's just me.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    I'm the same

It's always good to sample/wear a fragrance at least twice before committing. And if you're sampling in a store, it's better to go home with the scent on your skin to let it drydown then come back for a second visit to do a shorter "confirmation" retest.
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

At least 5 wearings before any purchase. Usually by the third you know if there's something in the scent that's going to annoy you - L'Air du Desert Marocain is a good example; liked it at first then it began to annoy me. I'd always recommended lots if exposure to the scent first... and never to blind-buy.

Sound Scents

Sometimes just a few hours, sometimes days, years or even in a few cases decades.... It all depends.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driů) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

Usually months but it happens to make an instant purchase sometimes.

I know almost instantly if I want a bottle of a certain scent - or however 1 wearing is usually enough for me. Then I start looking for a good deal, I can wait months for that.
    My current top five:

Tiffany - Tiffany for Men (vtg)
    Yves Saint Laurent - M7 (vtg)
    Fendi - Theorema
    Chanel - Antaeus (vtg)
    Gucci - Gucci pour Homme

My sales thread | *NEW* Signoricci VTG BNIB, Capucci PH, Geo Trumper, Montana, Etro, Romeo Gigli...

My fragrance reviews | Ye Olde Civet Cat

I typically don't sample before I buy. I read the reviews and already know the notes that I like and the reviewer whose taste I trust. If it doesn't work out, then one of my friends gets the opportunity to improve his scent wardrobe.

I've learned to scratch that itch of "I have to have it" by just getting a 5-10ml decant and often avoided buying the FB. Not to say that I wouldn't, but with such a big rotation and always more things to try, if I've tested something and really like it, just on principle I check if it's simply a craving or I really want a FB so I first get 10ml. And let me tell you I now have a lot of 10ml without ever having to finish them and buy FB's. My only concern is reformulations but so far for the most part I haven't really gotten through these 10ml's , and even of the 100ml bottles I did buy, really, I can't say I've even used up 10ml out of those either.
    Tom Ford Splits!!!!
    Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Noir de Noir, Oud Wood
    Plum Japonais,
    Lavender Palm, Tobacco Oud, Café Rose, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

For expensive stuff I usually buy and use 5ml before I get a full bottle. I don't think I can properly make a call after 3 uses. It usually takes me much longer.
    Current Top Picks:

Unknown Pleasures
    Tuscan Leather
    D&G The One
    Pure Havane
    Intense Cafe
    Xerjoff Bouquet Ideale
    HdP Ambre 114

Not nearly long enough. I'm doing better lately, though. I've been an impulse scent buyer most of my life.

It's hard to say. I don't really trust my judgement and I'm fearful of making an impulse purchase I'll regret. There are times when the opening is just so beautiful that my inclination is to buy it right then and there but out of self-preservation I just say no. Then I try it a few more times, at least. Rule of thumb? I don't really have one but ideally I guess I'd want 5 wears of about 3 hours each, with no other fragrance on at the same time.

I usually take about 3-5 wearings over the course of 2 weeks. If I still like it after being in my rotation, I'll pull the trigger (wallet being the limiting factor)

At least 72 hrs
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

2-3 wearings from a sample for me, when I don't buy blind. 2ml atomizer is plenty for this purpose. I tend to sample more expensive fragrances first, if they aren't available to smell locally.

Btw, you didn't mention, but I presume you're aware of some of the excellent decant/sample shops available online? Decantshop.com is one I use regularly. Shops like these are lifesavers when you think you want something, but a blind buy that didn't work out would be a setback. I've found I only move forward with about half the samples I try. Conversely, I avoid about half of my buys that would've gone poorly if I'd just bought blind.

I don't have a set regimen at all where this is concerned and I've done various points on the spectrum, from buying blind without any sampling, to buying immediately following the first try, to pondering slightly longer right through to, in a few cases, pondering a purchase for months before committing (to my cost, in one instance that springs to mind where the price went up!).

No set rules for me.

I usually sample the scent for a full day and go about my day and use up the entire thing if there's enough but not all at once, just reapply bit by bit if i can...and if i don't like it at first, I'll give it a second shot in the future (on a different season or setting/etc ) and see how it goes from there. There may be many things that may go against it even your own mind set at the time.

I agree that with 2-3 samplings will most likely do the trick and help with purchasing.

85% of the time - 1 wearing
    10% - 2 wearings
    5% - multiple

The multiple wearings are for ones I really want to give a chance before writing off.

for swap/sale: