Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Plus

Default Traveling for six weeks: what to take?

I am going to be traveling in the Philippines for six weeks; very excited. I am going to bring 5 10ml decants. Without knowing what I have, what criteria would you use? All summer scents? (its hot). Some casual, some classy? Mix of niche and designer? Don't stick to these criteria if you have other ideas; those were just a starting point. I have a pretty diverse collection of decants and bottles, so throw out your ideas.

In addition to the 5 10ml decants, I will bring some small decants that are already in plastic bottles.

5mls of Aventus
    2mls of TF Italian cypruss
    5mls of Creed VIW
    1ml of TFTuscan Leather (hard to see using unless it for going out at night, but I have it in plastic, so it goes).
    5mls of Invasion Barbare (to me great in small doses in the heat, and great for my work meetings).

So, offer up some ideas

Default Re: Traveling for six weeks: what to take?

Whatever assortment you decide to bring, I'd look to bring ones that would wear well in very humid and hot temperatures. Ones like VIW, Coccobello, Monsieur Balmain, Limon di Cordoza. Moreover, those in your decant list will also work out just fine. Enjoy yourself!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Millesime Imperial is one you may want to bring with you.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Whatever assortment you decide to bring, I'd look to bring ones that would wear well in very humid and hot temperatures. Ones like VIW, Coccobello, Monsieur Balmain, Limon di Cordoza. Moreover, those in your decant list will also work out just fine. Enjoy yourself!
    Agree with Hednic...Italian Cypress and Tuscan Leather might be too cloying and potent in that heat with humidity...
    CURRENT TOP TEN FOR FALL/WINTER:
    1.) Helmut Lang Cuiron (Vintage)
    2.) Tiffany for men (Vintage)
    3.) Bel Ami Vetiver
    4.) New York Intense
    5.) Nicolai Carre d'as
    6.) Cartier Declaration Essence
    7.) Frederick Malle's VE/Sycomore
    8.) Houbigant Fougere Royale
    9.) L'Homme Sage
    10.) Bond no. 9 Scent of Peace

I'd go with straight out summer scents.

When I went to Ho Chi Minh City in November, it was pretty much as hot and humid as the Japanese summer. I had taken Aventus and Guerlain Homme, but Aventus was a bit cloying. Hednic has provided sterling advice. Personally I find that even MI falls apart and is a bit cloying and bloated in high heat and humidity (AdG too), although if you are spending most of your day in an air-conditioned environment scents like Aventus and MI will be OK while indoors.
    Signature Scent

It's pretty hot and humid there all the time, so like you said, I don't see cool weather scents fitting in. I would just choose ones that really cut through humidity (are light). Like someone already said, Coccobello is great. Also Yuzu ab Irato and Acqua Viva would be good because they are bright, clean lemon/yuzu.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Agree! I'd definitely make sure to take 5-10mls of an edc like AdP Colonia, Chanel edc, Mugler Cologne, etc.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Agree! I'd definitely make sure to take 5-10mls of an edc like AdP Colonia, Chanel edc, Mugler Cologne, etc.

TF NF, 10mls is will be coming along. I know some think it is heavy in the humidity, but that one is a EDC style that works very well for me in the heat, when applied sparingly .

Also thinking of Cologne Noir by VC & A. Does not get a lot of love here, but I do enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by RichNTacoma View Post
    TF NF, 10mls is will be coming along.
    What is TF NF? Neroli Portofino? Good choice !

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    What is TF NF? Neroli Portofino? Good choice !

Sorry, typing when I am l sleepy leads to sloppiness. Yes, Neroli Portofino.

Well, ELDO Fils de Dieu should be one of your Phillipines Phive! It combines elements of cologne zippiness with mint, coconut and oriental spice, performs great in heat and humidity and lasts all day. Nothing else is quite like it.

Others I would take that do great for me in h/h conditions are TFNP, as noted above, Profumi del Forte Tirrenico, Profumum Acqua Viva, Creed VIW.

I would stick with summer fragrances:
    - Infusion d'Homme by Prada
    - Voyage by Nautica
    - GIT by Creed
    - Original Vetiver by Creed
    - Bulgari Pour Homme
    - Armani Eau Pour Homme

i dont want to take risks when i travel for few weeks. i just wanna smell good to everybody, so ill take:

day: Versace Pour Homme
    night: Givenchy Play Intense

From my collection I would take
    John Varvatos Artisan Aqua
    Creed Neroli Sauvage
    Xerjoff Kobe
    Casamorati Fiero
    Terre D'HERMES
    For the evening out
    Nobile pontevecchio
    Roja Dove Vetiver Extrait
    MDCI Invasion Barbare
    chanel Pour Monsieur
    YSL M7 Oud Absolu

Recommend you take one from each group of 5 types that work in warm weather. Some ideas without knowing what is in your wardrobe-

(1) GREEN - Creed Aventus, Villoresi Uomo, Frapin Paradis Pardu, Anat Fritz Classical, Zegna Haitian Vetiver

(2) EAU D' COLOGNE - Guerlain Cologne du Parfumeur, Creed Jardin d' Amalfi, Creed Pure White, Guerlain Eau de Cologne Imperiale

(3) TRANSPARENT WOODS - Voyage d' Hermes, Declaration or Essence Declaration, Terre d' Hermes, Mister Marvelous,

(4) INCENSE - Kyoto, Anat Fritz Tzora, Jaisalmer, Jubilation XXV, MFK Oud

(5) CITRUS - Orange Sanguine, Parfum d' Empire Azemour, Dior Homme Cologne, Almost Transparent Blue
    Last edited by Buzzlepuff; 3rd August 2014 at 07:40 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Great advice so far, thanks. I am not very curious about ELDO Fils de Dieu. I won't get to try any before I leave, but it is not on the list. I do like the idea of taking a bit more variety than my summer scents- I do get that the weather will make those more useful, and will weight those heavily. I may take very small samples of some decidedly not summer scents, like Jubilation and others- since they are small sample vials, I can just keep them packed well and use them when I have the AC blasting in my room!

Thanks for the great feedback so far. I know I am going to take too much but plastic decants don't weight that much.

sweat, heat and damp will flatten every scent... in my very own experience!

Vetiver fragrances are good in the heat; Woods at night.