Code of Conduct

Default Bad luck or chemistry?

I'm looking at fragrances I want to get, and two that stood out were L'eu d'Issey and Le Male.
    I ordered samples of them. Now I really like them, but neither seem to last on me, and I understand Le Male is supposed to be a real powerhouse, even after the reformulation.
    I usually wear two sprays, on my neck and back of neck. I've asked my coworkers to see what they think and gauge how strong the fragrances are, but none of them can smell L'Eau d'Issey unless they're right next to me, leaning in to smell and not after the first 2 hours. Le Male lasts a bit longer, but they still can't pick it up unless they are fairly close or I walk by them.

I like the smell of each, Le Male especially. Were these scents watered down so much, or is it just my body chemistry?
    I admit, I am interested in a powerhouse fragrance as I want to be noticed. I've shown up to work wearing Victorinox Swiss Army Classic and my manager told me I smelled good and I was still 4 feet away!

How about A*Men? I've sprayed the tester on my wrist, smelled it for hours and hours. Loved it.
    Who knows how old the tester is - if I go to the only store in town that carries it and pickup a 50ml, am I going to get a good bottle? This one hasn't been reformulated or anything like Le Male was, has it?

Default Re: Bad luck or chemistry?

It could be that because of you spraying it on your neck you are constantly smelling the scents and getting fatigue. I would recommend spraying them on your wrist/back of the hand/forearm area and try again. If they still don't last and project, go to a department store and try a bottle there.

For buying A*men, if you go to any decent store like Nordstrom, NM, Bloomingdales, you will probably get a good bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by Willanhanyard View Post
    It could be that because of you spraying it on your neck you are constantly smelling the scents and getting fatigue. I would recommend spraying them on your wrist/back of the hand/forearm area and try again. If they still don't last and project, go to a department store and try a bottle there.

For buying A*men, if you go to any decent store like Nordstrom, NM, Bloomingdales, you will probably get a good bottle.
    With Le Male I still catch whiffs of it on occasion. But no one around me can smell it seems. I still want it though. Can get the 75ml for $56 at Walmart lol.

I don't have those, I'm in Canada. I have Shoppers Drug Mart, the Bay and Walmart. Or.. Sears..
    I have 3 Shoppers and only 1 carries A*Men.

Strange, Eau d'Issey is quite powerful for me - but then I dislike marine, so perhaps I am more sensitive.

A*Men, as far as I know, is still going strong. Patchouli and woods last a long time. Definitely a good choice for projection and longevity.

cacio

Quote Originally Posted by cacio View Post
    Strange, Eau d'Issey is quite powerful for me - but then I dislike marine, so perhaps I am more sensitive.

A*Men, as far as I know, is still going strong. Patchouli and woods last a long time. Definitely a good choice for projection and longevity.

cacio
    I like it L'Eau d'Issey. Wish it could be detected after the first while.

I wonder because I was reading comments on Fragrantica and someone mentioning it's not lasting anymore, rumouring about reformulation etc. Had me worried.

Quote Originally Posted by Willanhanyard View Post

Agree.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

I'm pretty sure that Le Male has nuclear projection and longevity. I'm not sure of your work environment, but I'd be careful of applying heavy scents that will catch people's attention at work. It may catch negative attention from fragrance haters or ppl that just like to complain
    Seasonal rotation:

Original Santal
    Dior Homme
    Ambre Topkapi
    Rose 31
    Green Irish Tweed

I get atomic projection and longevity with L'eau D'issey and I am one who usually has trouble in this department as my skin temp is abnormaly hot and I sweat a lot in the summer. L'eau D'issey will last all day and I will wake up the next day with it on my skin. it's whay I go to if i'm going to a long all day event.

The only ones I have had people notice were Victorinox Swiss Army Classic, and YSL Rive Gauche. Quorum is another one I have and it doesn't seem to noticed or last too long.

Still I don't have those stores to buy A*Men from in Canada, just a pharmarcy with an okay selection of fragrances.

I still want to pickup Le Male since I love the scent, but without the longevity or projection that you guys seem to get, I don't really find it affordable.

Which is why I want to make sure A*Men is still a good buy and hasn't been reformulated like the others.

Try Bogart pour homme or/and Van Cleef&Arpels pour homme.
    They both smell very good (imo) are cheap and last all day with very good projection!

Softer but also cheap and long lasting (and very good smelling) Ted Lapidus Altamir and Ted Lapidus pour Lui. Little more expensive: Loewe Solo, Dior Homme Intense to give two examples.

If you can get A-men vintage (I own it) you are 'set', lol, as one spray lasts 24+!

L'Eau D'Issey and Le Male last on my skin also way above average but regarding Le Male I own a vintage 90's bottle which is a complete different animal than current version of Le Male.............
    Last edited by Slayerized; 3rd August 2014 at 08:15 PM.
    My Top '10' : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Loewe: Esencia/Pour Homme/Solo/7
    - YSL: Opium Pour Homme Edp
    - Jacques Bogart: Bogart Pour Homme (2004)
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Guerlain: Vetiver
    - Van Cleef & Arpels: Pour Homme
    - Hermes: Terre d'Hermes
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraicheur)

Quote Originally Posted by Slayerized View Post
    Try Bogart pour homme or/and Van Cleef&Arpels pour homme.
    They both smell very good (imo) are cheap and last all day with very good projection!

Softer but also cheap and long lasting (and very good smelling) Ted Lapidus Altamir and Ted Lapidus pour Lui. Little more expensive: Loewe Solo, Dior Homme Intense to give two examples.

If you can get A-men vintage (I own it) you are 'set', lol, as one spray lasts 24+!

L'Eau D'Issey and Le Male last on my skin also way above average but regarding Le Male I own a vintage 90's bottle which is a complete different animal than current version of Le Male.............
    I can't get those here, they're not fragances I've seen. But I DO have a sample of Van Cleef and Arpels Midnight in Paris. Very lovely! Lasts fairly long, and doesn't project a lot - but huge projection isn't the point of that one.
    Never heard of the first 3, but Dior Homme Intense is on my radar, just not an immediate priority.

I cannot. So you are saying if I were to get one of the bottles at available locally I am buying an inferior version of A*Men?

They just don't for me. I've had Le Male on my wrist and I can smell it for several hours, but after 2 or so it's close to the skin. L'Eau d'Issey on my wrist lasts for an hour, does not project - I've tried both my sample and a store tester.

A*Men is what I really but I don't want to go ahead and get it if it's been watered down.

Both FBW, you sir Have exquisite taste
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

I recently sampled Amen and its still a bomb. Not the new pure wood though. If you like the old LeMale try current version of Versace Eros. Its a projection and longevity beast on my skin. Its got mint, citrus, and vanilla, and vanilla, and vanilla. Did I mention vanilla??? And its not very popular.

Quote Originally Posted by Azuran View Post
    I can't get those here, they're not fragances I've seen. But I DO have a sample of Van Cleef and Arpels Midnight in Paris. Very lovely! Lasts fairly long, and doesn't project a lot - but huge projection isn't the point of that one.
    Never heard of the first 3, but Dior Homme Intense is on my radar, just not an immediate priority.

I cannot. So you are saying if I were to get one of the bottles at available locally I am buying an inferior version of A*Men?

They just don't for me. I've had Le Male on my wrist and I can smell it for several hours, but after 2 or so it's close to the skin. L'Eau d'Issey on my wrist lasts for an hour, does not project - I've tried both my sample and a store tester.

A*Men is what I really but I don't want to go ahead and get it if it's been watered down.
    Yes it's well known A-men has been watered down but I agree it's still strong but nowhere to what it once was!
    Read the reviews (also on Fragrantica!) about the Lapidus frags! They're excellent!

If I am not mistaken vintage A-men comes in a blue box (mine is an old tester without box) and looks like this:

And newer ones come in the black box!
    Last edited by Slayerized; 3rd August 2014 at 10:15 PM.
    My Top '10' : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Loewe: Esencia/Pour Homme/Solo/7
    - YSL: Opium Pour Homme Edp
    - Jacques Bogart: Bogart Pour Homme (2004)
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Guerlain: Vetiver
    - Van Cleef & Arpels: Pour Homme
    - Hermes: Terre d'Hermes
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraicheur)

Something to think about:
    If you spray your neck, over time, the scent is lost into the air.
    If you spray your chest, over time, the scent is transferred onto your shirt.
    That can be a big difference.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Welcome to my world, bro. I have found many scents I like, but few that give me good longevity or projection. And like you, with some that seem to fade quickly, I have asked others around me if they can detect the scent when they are within a couple feet of me. They cannot. So that tells me it is not "nose fatigue" on my part, or any of that nonsense.

With me, 2 sprays to the neck is never enough. I do 3-5, depending on the frag.. including neck and on shirt.
    The ones I do get at least a few good hours out of include:

VC&A PH (as already mentioned here)
    Hanae Mori HM
    Hanae Mori HiM
    Sung Homme
    Joop Wild
    1 Million
    Prada Amber PH
    Polo green

But again... all take more than 2 sprays for guys like us... no matter what anyone here says.
    Last edited by bigsteve; 4th August 2014 at 12:00 AM.
    ----- People laugh at me because I'm different.... I laugh at them because they're all the same -----

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    Something to think about:
    If you spray your neck, over time, the scent is lost into the air.
    If you spray your chest, over time, the scent is transferred onto your shirt.
    That can be a big difference.
    Think I'll try this, brotato.
    ----- People laugh at me because I'm different.... I laugh at them because they're all the same -----

This is my first time on a forum...interesting reading ☺

Quote Originally Posted by magnus611 View Post
    Both FBW, you sir Have exquisite taste
    Hm?

Quote Originally Posted by Slayerized View Post
    Yes it's well known A-men has been watered down but I agree it's still strong but nowhere to what it once was!
    Read the reviews (also on Fragrantica!) about the Lapidus frags! They're excellent!

If I am not mistaken vintage A-men comes in a blue box (mine is an old tester without box) and looks like this:

And newer ones come in the black box!
    That's actually the box they have at the store. And that's the vintage formulation? Well then I know what I'm buying, thanks!

I'm going through and looking on Fragrantica for some of the previously mentioned frags. Some sound appealing, but not familiar except Versace Eros, and Alfred Sung Homme which I know I have seen. In the case of Alfred Sung Homme on a discount shelf for $20 for I believe 50ml? Same with a 30ml of Diesel Fuel For Life if anyone has an opinion on that one.

And thanks for all your suggestions and advice, I will definitely be grabbing A*Men because of the reassurance. Later on I will still get Le Male.