Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Dependent

Default Re: Best Vintage, Discontinued fragrance that still can be worn today (modern) -

All vintage.
    Antaeus
    Kouros
    M7
    Ungaro II
    Georgio BH
    Paco PH
    Smalto
    These are favs..the list is long
    OFF SITE SALES, DECANTS ---Dior,Chanel MFK, MOLECULE 01* VINTAGE ANTAEUS*
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=499

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Best Vintage, Discontinued fragrance that still can be worn today (modern) -

Quote Originally Posted by willyb View Post
    All vintage.
    Antaeus
    Kouros
    M7
    Ungaro II
    Georgio BH
    Paco PH
    Smalto
    These are favs..the list is long
    Good ones !
    CURRENT TOP TEN FOR SUMMER (HOT):
    1.) MFK Pluriel for him
    2.) Vetiver Fatal
    3.) Guerlain L'eau
    4.) Anat Fritz Tzora
    5.) Frank No. 2 L.A.
    6.) Dior Homme Eau
    7.) Invasion Barbare
    8.) Xerjoff Nio
    9.) Byredo Bal D'Afrique
    10.) Escentric 02

Quote Originally Posted by Dry_Martini View Post
    Penhaligons Racquets.
    +1 to this

Quote Originally Posted by FSU92grad View Post
    I like the notes in this one...How does it smell? Or can you describe it a little ? I heard it smells close to Creed's OS...Is that correct ?

Fruity tobacco that maintains a fresh feel. It becomes a little woody with sandalwood and musk while maintaining a fresh fruity vibe. Excellent longevity. It just seems like a well blended fragrance that keeps opening new facets of smells as it drys down. But still maintaining some of the mid notes. It evolves nicely as you keep smelling, it keeps morphing.
    I have not smelled OS

Pontaccio 21..Lang Cuiron!

Sound Scents

Quote Originally Posted by FSU92grad View Post
    Could someone explain the difference between Patou Homme and Patoe Prive? Which do you guys think I would like better (For those who know me)....Thanks !
    They are completely different.

PPHP
    is a reference quality lavender-centric aromatic fougere masterpiece and vintage PPH is a reference quality complex woody oriental/oriental chypre. I strongly prefer the former, but both are considered benchmarks in perfumery by one of the greatest noses ever -- Jean Kerleo.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4)
    Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6)
    Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie
    9) Oud Shamash (The Different Company) - tie

PPH is more of a formal gentlemanly scent that many would consider "old school". Prive is a much more contemporary scent and can be worn for any occasion. There are various fragrances that remind me of PPH, but I have never smelled anything that smells similar to Prive.

I don't know which one you would like better, but you might not ever have the opportunity to decide because Prive is EXTREMELY hard to find....even on eBay. PPH is frequently available on eBay, but it's very expensive and most of the bottles you see are out of the box and have, therefore, probably been sprayed. Finding one still sealed with the original tabs in place would be very challenging.
    Basenotes sales: By Kilian Straight to Heaven, Heeley Coccobello, Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome, Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Bond No. 9 Hamptons, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Essence de Cerruti, Balenciaga Ho Hang Club, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...ciaga-SAMPLES!

Offsite sales: By Kilian Straight to Heaven, Heeley Coccobello, Vintage Tabarome, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Tom Ford Noir de Noir, By Kilian Prelude to Love, Bond No. 9 Hamptons, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Essence de Cerruti, Balenciaga Ho Hang Club, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430 View Post
    PPH is more of a formal gentlemanly scent that many would consider "old school". Prive is a much more contemporary scent and can be worn for any occasion. There are various fragrances that remind me of PPH, but I have never smelled anything that smells similar to Prive.

I don't know which one you would like better, but you might not ever have the opportunity to decide because Prive is EXTREMELY hard to find....even on eBay. PPH is frequently available on eBay, but it's very expensive and most of the bottles you see are out of the box and have, therefore, probably been sprayed. Finding one still sealed with the original tabs in place would be very challenging.
    While the amount a person is willing to spend is up to him / her - my thoughts - not worth buying 400+ worth of one bottle (eBay prices for Patou PH) , when the authenticity cannot be confirmed. As for the Prive - even more hard to find.

I would not buy anything more than $200 online - unless I have bought from the same source before & find the source to be reliable. I have recently bought pricey vintages like Sagamore, Ninio Cerruti Uomo, Bel Ami, Guerlain Derby, Balafre etc - but all were from the same, reputed store.

Basenotes Plus

WOW ! Guys, thanks for the explanations.....Sounds like a great scent to acquire...However, finding a good SOURCE might be difficult...I do check the feedback scores and usually (not always) but USUALLY Feedback's of 100% generally are a good source espeically if they have sold over 5k perfumes....people wouldnt keep buying from them if they fragrances were crap....I look for a lot of those things....
    CURRENT TOP TEN FOR SUMMER (HOT):
    1.) MFK Pluriel for him
    2.) Vetiver Fatal
    3.) Guerlain L'eau
    4.) Anat Fritz Tzora
    5.) Frank No. 2 L.A.
    6.) Dior Homme Eau
    7.) Invasion Barbare
    8.) Xerjoff Nio
    9.) Byredo Bal D'Afrique
    10.) Escentric 02

Personally I wear all my vintages with great pleasure. But I can't say all of them are modern.

In addition to Cuiron, Helmut Lang's EdC and EdP are also both excellent and contemporary.

Basenotes Plus

Just to chime in about Vetiver Geranium's vetiver content. On Creed's UK site, vetiver is listed as a note. Mystery solved! They really should make their notes list more consistent.

https://www.creedfragrances.co.uk/pr...tiver-geranium

Top: lemon, granny smith apple, bergamot
    Heart: rose, cinnamon, geranium
    Base: cedar, vetiver, patchouli, musk, amber

I would also love to smell Vetiver 1948.
    Currently wearing: Asian Green Tea by Creed

Basenotes Plus

Wearing Balafre tonight - does it qualify?

It is very nice indeed

+1 for vintage M7 but even a vintage bottle I bought a few years ago doesn't smell exactly the way I remember it.

The original Gentleman by Givenchy is a fantastic patchouli scent.

Creed Citrus Bigarrade

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Envy for Men/Gucci
    Snarky is as snarky does.

Crabtree & Evelyn Extract of West Indian & Sicilian Limes
    Basenotes sales: By Kilian Straight to Heaven, Heeley Coccobello, Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome, Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Bond No. 9 Hamptons, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Essence de Cerruti, Balenciaga Ho Hang Club, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...ciaga-SAMPLES!

Offsite sales: By Kilian Straight to Heaven, Heeley Coccobello, Vintage Tabarome, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Tom Ford Noir de Noir, By Kilian Prelude to Love, Bond No. 9 Hamptons, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Essence de Cerruti, Balenciaga Ho Hang Club, Reyane Insurrection, numerous popular SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

the preformulation givenchy gentleman , M7 , tuscany uomo forte which i found for a very good price so i bought 3x100 ml bottles for about 35 $ each , balenciaga pour homme , charisma by a saudi arabian brand called deraa which is a fabulous frag really.

Basenotes Plus

I recall my reaction when I got my hands on discontinued Jean Pascal -- if it were bottled and offered now by a current niche producer of the type that tends to go for plenty of complex stuffing (Malle, Ford, etc.) it would get lots of buzz and love.

Just yesterday I tried the current Tsar, which is now available at dirt cheap prices. Some have said it was a quite decent return to the original. I agree, sort of. Upon initial application and dry-down if this diluted juice it bears a close resemblance to the vintage Tsar at the 8 hour mark.

Aramis Chromatics is a white floral chypre from 1974 that was marketed to men and quickly discontinued due to lack of sales. Today I could see it selling very well if repackaged by someone like Frederic Malle.

Quote Originally Posted by HackerX View Post

Another one worth mentioning is vintage Jacques Fath Yang which can be described as a less cardamom heavy (less body odor), more musky and more sandalwood Cartier Declaration. Stuff projects and lasts for ages as well. But this one can't even be found on Ebay anymore.
    My wedding scent! Still have it.

On topic: Vintage Leonard Homme stood the test of time very well. Not dated at all. Light leather and orris, feels very modern.

And Balafre is timeless, of course.
    Last edited by Russlan; 11th May 2015 at 01:42 PM.

I will agree with Colin, most of the perfumes he mentions are great.
    My personal top 5 would be:
    Montana Parfume d' Homme
    Equipage vintage
    AD
    PPH
    Boss Sport (green bottle)

For me it would be:

Hermes Bel Ami
    Hermes Equipage
    M7 Fresh
    Dolce & Gabbana Pour Homme (Made in Italy)
    GPH I
    Current Top Picks:

Dolce & Gabbana PH (Italy)
    Aoud Legacy
    Virgin Island Water
    Grey Vetiver
    Cedrat Enivrant
    Vetiver Fatal
    YSL L'Homme
    Lacoste Pour Homme

Basenotes Plus

I will add Chaumet Homme. I recently acquired a bottle and it's a fantastic fresh mate tea type of scent.

Gucci Envy
    Christian Lacroix Tumulte
    Shiseido Basala
    Guerlain Coriolan
    Rochas Lui
    YSL Live Jazz
    Costume National Homme
    Hermes Bel Ami
    There are so many of them and many more!