Code of Conduct

Default Best Vintage, Discontinued fragrance that still can be worn today (modern) -

This may have been done before but I think it's good after a few months to revisit as tastes change....Something that you liked yesterday, you may not like as much today....

Mine has thus far been Helmut Lang's Cuiron...I sold my bottle a few months ago and I'm kicking myself in the ass for doing so...I will own another bottle of that stuff...I love that sweet, fruity/leather scent and it's gotten me a few compliments...Very unique and I still believe modern enough to wear even today....
    CURRENT TOP TEN
    1.) Helmet Lang Cuiron
    2.) Xerjoff Nio
    3.) MFK Pluriel
    4.) Dior Fahrenheit
    5.) Tzora
    6.) Cartier Declaration Essence
    7.) Frederick Malle's VE
    8.) Clive Christian's X
    9.) L'Homme Sage
    10.) Bond no. 9 Scent of Peace

Default Re: Best Vintage, Discontinued fragrance that still can be worn today (modern) -

I really enjoy wearing Creed Vetiver 1948.

I think it's underrated, believe it or not.

Default Re: Best Vintage, Discontinued fragrance that still can be worn today (modern) -

Quote Originally Posted by Boss View Post
    I really enjoy wearing Creed Vetiver 1948.

I think it's underrated, believe it or not.
    I have never smelled this one....I have the OV but It's probably not even close...
    CURRENT TOP TEN
    1.) Helmet Lang Cuiron
    2.) Xerjoff Nio
    3.) MFK Pluriel
    4.) Dior Fahrenheit
    5.) Tzora
    7.) Frederick Malle's VE
    8.) Clive Christian's X
    9.) L'Homme Sage

Quote Originally Posted by FSU92grad View Post
    I have never smelled this one....I have the OV but It's probably not even close...
    It's completely different. I like them both, but OV is made mainly with vetiver grass/leaves and Vetiver is made with vetiver roots. The new Vetiver Geranium is closer to Vetiver 1948, but it's still not the same.

I think I've heard some people describe it as relaxing on/by a smooth, warm, mineral rock that sparkles/glows in the summer sun, with a gentle breeze from the ocean. It's sort of meditative in a calming way in how you become one with the rock (or the mountain) and ready to face any challenges presented. I guess I find it to be a fragrance that brings out an understated confidence.

I thought Vetiver Geranium smelled more like OV than 1948, but oddly, VG does not show to have "vetiver" in the notes.

I think Patou Pour Homme Prive is a great example of a vintage/DC'd fragrance that would still be excellent today. Of course, it's impossible to find.
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, The Vert) http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...erruti-TheVert

Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome Private Collection, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Pure White Cologne, Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, The Vert) http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Dunhill Blend 30 is a good one for me.

Vintage Bel Ami, a crime to discontinue this one for a lesser reformulation.
    Last edited by Jack Hunter; 7th August 2014 at 09:08 AM.

Dozens of them can be worn today with incomparably more delight and elegance than today's unsubstantial offerings - Hermès Bel Ami or Equipage, some vintage Etro's, Rochas Moustache, most of vintage Guerlain's masculines, Krizia Uomo, Ferrè for Man, Romeo Gigli, Rabanne's Ténéré, or some 2000s ones like M7 and Cuiron etc....
    My current top five:

Yohji Yamamoto - Yohji Homme (vtg)
    Jil Sander - Man
    Comme des Garçons - Black
    Naomi Goodsir - Bois d'ascèse
    YSL - M7 (vtg)

My fragrance reviews | http://yeoldecivetcat.blogspot.it/

Vintage Rive Gauche for me. It's a superb scent, but the newer version is just a joke. When I smelt it in store I thought I was on candid camera or something!

Xeyrus - Art Deco bottle. I think it's great once the weather cools

Creed Green Valley
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    6. Puredistance - Black
    7. Brückner - Aoud 1
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Creed - Royal Oud
    10. Chanel - Egoiste

YSL's M7
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Why So Serious?

You should definitely kick yourself for letting your Cuiron go. Out of all the vintage discontinued stuff this one is definitely the best for me. I'm holding onto my bottle and will only wear it for very special occasions. While I might not say it's a leather-based fragrance, it's definitely the best suede fragrance ever made. Fortunately, one can still buy this on Ebay with a ridiculous price.

Another one worth mentioning is vintage Jacques Fath Yang which can be described as a less cardamom heavy (less body odor), more musky and more sandalwood Cartier Declaration. Stuff projects and lasts for ages as well. But this one can't even be found on Ebay anymore.
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Kilian Apple Brandy
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Parfums de Marly Galloway
    5. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese

Sound Scents

Personally I think they all can be worn today. As to "best" I have no idea, but my favorite is vintage Giorgio for Men. I also concur with the Patou pour Homme Privé suggestion as that is another of my favorites.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie

Agreed with the vintage Xeryus, also these work very well ,imo. TRUSSARDI Action Sport , ALAIN DELON -AD Plus and many others.

Basenotes Plus

I wear vintage Patou pour homme, vintage Antaeus, vintage Kouros and many many others. I love the way they smell and have received many compliments on all of them.

Among others: Joint by Roccobarocco, Spazio Krizia, Venezia Uomo, Ungaro II.

Quote Originally Posted by magnus611 View Post
    YSL's M7
    Absolutely... especially with the whole "oud" craze nowadays..

Um not sure if this exactly qualifies as vintage but it's from the 90's and has been discontinued and is absolutely fabulous and very well could be worn today. none other than Davidoff's goodLife!

This may have been done before but I think it's good after a few months to revisit as tastes change....Something that you liked yesterday, you may not like as much today....

Mine has thus far been Helmut Lang's Cuiron...I sold my bottle a few months ago and I'm kicking myself in the ass for doing so...I will own another bottle of that stuff...I love that sweet, fruity/leather scent and it's gotten me a few compliments...Very unique and I still believe modern enough to wear even today....
    I was fortunate to get interested in frags when Cuiron could be had for around $50/50ml and saw the writing on the wall and stocked up on 3 bottles. It's one of my top vintages. Did the same with L'Occitane Neroli.
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

For me vintage Dolce & Gabbana pour homme.
    My Top '10' : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Loewe: Esencia/Pour Homme/Solo/7
    - YSL: Opium Pour Homme Edp
    - Jacques Bogart: Bogart Pour Homme (2004)
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Guerlain: Vetiver
    - Van Cleef & Arpels: Pour Homme
    - Hermes: Terre d'Hermes
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraicheur)

Eau de Fier by Annick Goutal
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Cartier, L'Essence de Must de Cartier Pour Homme

Take a look at the reviews, this one is an absolute gem and still can be found. GET IT!! The reviews do it great justice so i am not going to go over the notes, etc... I love this scent.

Kouros Eau de Sport

Quote Originally Posted by manicboy View Post
    I was fortunate to get interested in frags when Cuiron could be had for around $50/50ml and saw the writing on the wall and stocked up on 3 bottles. It's one of my top vintages. Did the same with L'Occitane Neroli.
    Oh don't worry...I plan on getting the 3.4 oz next time instead of the 1.6 oz I had bought...I know I'm going to pay out the ass for it, but I miss it and would love to have that one back....
    CURRENT TOP TEN
    1.) Helmet Lang Cuiron
    2.) Xerjoff Nio
    3.) MFK Pluriel
    4.) Dior Fahrenheit
    5.) Tzora
    7.) Frederick Malle's VE
    8.) Clive Christian's X
    9.) L'Homme Sage

Could someone explain the difference between Patou Homme and Patoe Prive? Which do you guys think I would like better (For those who know me)....Thanks !
    CURRENT TOP TEN
    1.) Helmet Lang Cuiron
    2.) Xerjoff Nio
    3.) MFK Pluriel
    4.) Dior Fahrenheit
    5.) Tzora
    7.) Frederick Malle's VE
    8.) Clive Christian's X
    9.) L'Homme Sage

Feeling Man by Jil Sander. I had a mini of this and scored a 1.7 bottle on ebay for a decent price. I love this fragrance

Quote Originally Posted by smoothie72 View Post
    Feeling Man by Jil Sander. I had a mini of this and scored a 1.7 bottle on ebay for a decent price. I love this fragrance

I like the notes in this one...How does it smell? Or can you describe it a little ? I heard it smells close to Creed's OS...Is that correct ?
    CURRENT TOP TEN
    1.) Helmet Lang Cuiron
    2.) Xerjoff Nio
    3.) MFK Pluriel
    4.) Dior Fahrenheit
    5.) Tzora
    7.) Frederick Malle's VE
    8.) Clive Christian's X
    9.) L'Homme Sage

Penhaligons Racquets.
    #TOP 5#: Polo Crest, Romeo Gigli,Jockey Club C&M, Jean Pascal Homme,Floris N 89

Quote Originally Posted by Dry_Martini View Post
    Penhaligons Racquets.
    Heard good things about this one and also Gucci Pour Homme 1976 version...Havent smelled either though...
    CURRENT TOP TEN
    1.) Helmet Lang Cuiron
    2.) Xerjoff Nio
    3.) MFK Pluriel
    4.) Dior Fahrenheit
    5.) Tzora
    7.) Frederick Malle's VE
    8.) Clive Christian's X
    9.) L'Homme Sage

All vintage.
    Antaeus
    Kouros
    M7
    Ungaro II
    Georgio BH
    Paco PH
    Smalto
    These are favs..the list is long
    OFF SITE SALES, DECANTS ---Dior,Chanel MFK, MOLECULE 01* VINTAGE ANTAEUS*
    http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=499

Quote Originally Posted by willyb View Post
    All vintage.
    Antaeus
    Kouros
    M7
    Ungaro II
    Georgio BH
    Paco PH
    Smalto
    These are favs..the list is long
    Good ones !
    CURRENT TOP TEN
    1.) Helmet Lang Cuiron
    2.) Xerjoff Nio
    3.) MFK Pluriel
    4.) Dior Fahrenheit
    5.) Tzora
    7.) Frederick Malle's VE
    8.) Clive Christian's X
    9.) L'Homme Sage

Quote Originally Posted by Dry_Martini View Post
    Penhaligons Racquets.
    +1 to this

I like the notes in this one...How does it smell? Or can you describe it a little ? I heard it smells close to Creed's OS...Is that correct ?

Fruity tobacco that maintains a fresh feel. It becomes a little woody with sandalwood and musk while maintaining a fresh fruity vibe. Excellent longevity. It just seems like a well blended fragrance that keeps opening new facets of smells as it drys down. But still maintaining some of the mid notes. It evolves nicely as you keep smelling, it keeps morphing.
    I have not smelled OS

Pontaccio 21..Lang Cuiron!

Sound Scents

Could someone explain the difference between Patou Homme and Patoe Prive? Which do you guys think I would like better (For those who know me)....Thanks !
    They are completely different.

PPHP
    is a reference quality lavender-centric aromatic fougere masterpiece and vintage PPH is a reference quality complex woody oriental/oriental chypre. I strongly prefer the former, but both are considered benchmarks in perfumery by one of the greatest noses ever -- Jean Kerleo.
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)
    9) Javanese Patchouli (Zegna) - tie
    9) Monsieur de Givenchy vintage (Givenchy) - tie
    9) Coeur de Vetiver Sacré (L'Artisan) - tie
    9) X for Men (Clive Christian) - tie
    9) Patou pour Homme Privé (Jean Patou) - tie

PPH is more of a formal gentlemanly scent that many would consider "old school". Prive is a much more contemporary scent and can be worn for any occasion. There are various fragrances that remind me of PPH, but I have never smelled anything that smells similar to Prive.

I don't know which one you would like better, but you might not ever have the opportunity to decide because Prive is EXTREMELY hard to find....even on eBay. PPH is frequently available on eBay, but it's very expensive and most of the bottles you see are out of the box and have, therefore, probably been sprayed. Finding one still sealed with the original tabs in place would be very challenging.
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, The Vert) http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...erruti-TheVert

Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome Private Collection, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Pure White Cologne, Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, The Vert) http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430 View Post
    PPH is more of a formal gentlemanly scent that many would consider "old school". Prive is a much more contemporary scent and can be worn for any occasion. There are various fragrances that remind me of PPH, but I have never smelled anything that smells similar to Prive.

I don't know which one you would like better, but you might not ever have the opportunity to decide because Prive is EXTREMELY hard to find....even on eBay. PPH is frequently available on eBay, but it's very expensive and most of the bottles you see are out of the box and have, therefore, probably been sprayed. Finding one still sealed with the original tabs in place would be very challenging.
    While the amount a person is willing to spend is up to him / her - my thoughts - not worth buying 400+ worth of one bottle (eBay prices for Patou PH) , when the authenticity cannot be confirmed. As for the Prive - even more hard to find.

I would not buy anything more than $200 online - unless I have bought from the same source before & find the source to be reliable. I have recently bought pricey vintages like Sagamore, Ninio Cerruti Uomo, Bel Ami, Guerlain Derby, Balafre etc - but all were from the same, reputed store.

WOW ! Guys, thanks for the explanations.....Sounds like a great scent to acquire...However, finding a good SOURCE might be difficult...I do check the feedback scores and usually (not always) but USUALLY Feedback's of 100% generally are a good source espeically if they have sold over 5k perfumes....people wouldnt keep buying from them if they fragrances were crap....I look for a lot of those things....
    CURRENT TOP TEN
    1.) Helmet Lang Cuiron
    2.) Xerjoff Nio
    3.) MFK Pluriel
    4.) Dior Fahrenheit
    5.) Tzora
    7.) Frederick Malle's VE
    8.) Clive Christian's X
    9.) L'Homme Sage

Personally I wear all my vintages with great pleasure. But I can't say all of them are modern.

In addition to Cuiron, Helmut Lang's EdC and EdP are also both excellent and contemporary.

Just to chime in about Vetiver Geranium's vetiver content. On Creed's UK site, vetiver is listed as a note. Mystery solved! They really should make their notes list more consistent.

https://www.creedfragrances.co.uk/pr...tiver-geranium

Top: lemon, granny smith apple, bergamot
    Heart: rose, cinnamon, geranium
    Base: cedar, vetiver, patchouli, musk, amber

I would also love to smell Vetiver 1948.

Wearing Balafre tonight - does it qualify?

It is very nice indeed

+1 for vintage M7 but even a vintage bottle I bought a few years ago doesn't smell exactly the way I remember it.

The original Gentleman by Givenchy is a fantastic patchouli scent.

Creed Citrus Bigarrade

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Envy for Men/Gucci
    Snarky is as snarky does.

Crabtree & Evelyn Extract of West Indian & Sicilian Limes