Code of Conduct

Default SOTD: Thursday, August 7, 2014

Hello all,

Aromatics Elixir EdP for me today

Thumbs up Re: SOTD: Thursday, August 7, 2014

Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Blog Entries

Default Re: SOTD: Thursday, August 7, 2014

Hi all,

Draining my sample of Une Fleur de Cassie.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

queen of the universe

Good morning! Miss me? I was doing without for the week preceding Tisha b'Av. Learned what my environment actually smells like, and perfume is all that much more vivid to my recalibrated nose. Off the PT; Amarige seemed like a good energetic choice, but zowie—it IS that loud! Scrub, apply Guerlain Véga. That's better. I won't drive my therapist from the room in that.

Pleasant day to all.

P1040101.jpg
    What do insomniac perfumers do to fall asleep? They count chypres!

Green Irish Tweed

Good morning everyone Sotd is Borneo 1834. Have a great day, all

Sospiro Melodia - happy Thursday!

Basenotes Plus

Hello and best to everyone. Anne Pliska extrait for me today.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project.

*** NEW Lavhim (Lavender, Incense, Candle Wax, Clove, Fir Needles, Cognac & Green Leaves)*** / Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.)

Good morning!

I'm in Burberry Brit Rhythm for Her.

OK Ryan, this story's for you: I was getting ready for work this morning and saw one of my cats pounce on something in my room. I figured it was a little jingle bell or something that had gotten nudged under a pillow on my bedroom floor. I lifted the pillow up and found a BAT! His wings were all stretched out so he looked really big and it freaked me out! I picked him up with a wash cloth, put him in a bowl and took him outside. I set him gently on the ground...and when I got to work I learned that bats can't take off from the ground so I'm afraid I have provided some cat food for the outside cats who hang around my street.

bat.jpg Very grainy picture; lighting was bad and I've cropped the image but you get the idea.

I'm only working a half day today - I have an appointment in Raleigh this afternoon so when I get off at noon I think I'll swing home and check on him.
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart. ~ Helen Keller

Hello all. Miller Harris Terre d'Iris.
    DONNA

hello all,

Good morning, good smelling people of Basenotes!

I am this morning in some She Wolf by Smell Bent layered with Vanilla Sauvage du Madagascar. She Wolf is musk and vanilla. The "dirty musk" of Smell Bent is a very compellingly good smell to me.

Hi, everyone!

Roberto, you come sit over here next to me, darlin', and let me breathe you in. Mmmmm!

And of course we missed you, jujy - Welcome back! Tisha B'Av kind of snuck up on me this year. Usually I try to limit my perfume for the three weeks (and completely forgo on the day of), but this year even remembering to fast was running on a time delay - though I did it.

ErinK, loved your story! It reminded me of the time when I was just out of college, and my roommates and assorted significant others had enjoyed a lovely and very relaxing/wine-filled Friday night dinner, then as everyone was heading off for the night I opened my bedroom door... to find a bat doing loop-de-loops throughout the room. Strong and sensibly minded woman that I am, I slammed the door shut, shrieking. Would have stood on a chair and made pathetic little whimpering noises if there'd been a chair handy. The two resident boyfriends (including my now dear husband) had to capture the bat - They brought the poor thing down with a combination of a blanket and a badminton racket . (No, they did not whap the bat, just tried to direct it into the blanket.) We ultimately ended up capturing el bat-o under a big glass vase, then sliding a magazine underneath and carrying it to the open window and flicking the bat free. Though it was probably so disoriented I wouldn't be surprised if it flew into something and also ended up as local cat food.

SOTD is Parfums de Rosine Rosa Flamenca, which seems to be discontinued, unless it was re-named. I love the first whiffs of rose and citrus in this one... But then it develops into something that to me smells a bit like candied violets. Very nice, just not... rose-y.

Rosa Flamenca notes: Neroli, bergamot, mandarin, orange blossoms, honeysuckle, jasmine, rose oil, rose absolute, sandalwood, white musk, and fig wood.
    It’s thought that people who hope too much will just waste their life away and never get down to doing any real work. They’re confusing Hope with Wish, its lazy cousin... When Wish whispers, “Something is just around the corner,” what comes or not is never what was wished for. When Hope whispers “Something is just around the corner,” something always is. -- Charlie Elberson

My sale thread has some of my underappreciated fragrances looking for a good, new home...

Blog Entries

Erin, l hope the bat is ok! l think bats are amazing, wonderful creatures. But l must admit l wouldn't want one in my bedroom.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Thumbs up Re: SOTD: Thursday, August 7, 2014

Quote Originally Posted by ComDiva View Post
    Hi, everyone!

Roberto, you come sit over here next to me, darlin', and let me breathe you in. Mmmmm!

And of course we missed you, jujy - Welcome back! Tisha B'Av kind of snuck up on me this year. Usually I try to limit my perfume for the three weeks (and completely forgo on the day of), but this year even remembering to fast was running on a time delay - though I did it.

ErinK, loved your story! It reminded me of the time when I was just out of college, and my roommates and assorted significant others had enjoyed a lovely and very relaxing/wine-filled Friday night dinner, then as everyone was heading off for the night I opened my bedroom door... to find a bat doing loop-de-loops throughout the room. Strong and sensibly minded woman that I am, I slammed the door shut, shrieking. Would have stood on a chair and made pathetic little whimpering noises if there'd been a chair handy. The two resident boyfriends (including my now dear husband) had to capture the bat - They brought the poor thing down with a combination of a blanket and a badminton racket . (No, they did not whap the bat, just tried to direct it into the blanket.) We ultimately ended up capturing el bat-o under a big glass vase, then sliding a magazine underneath and carrying it to the open window and flicking the bat free. Though it was probably so disoriented I wouldn't be surprised if it flew into something and also ended up as local cat food.

SOTD is Parfums de Rosine Rosa Flamenca, which seems to be discontinued, unless it was re-named. I love the first whiffs of rose and citrus in this one... But then it develops into something that to me smells a bit like candied violets. Very nice, just not... rose-y.

Rosa Flamenca notes: Neroli, bergamot, mandarin, orange blossoms, honeysuckle, jasmine, rose oil, rose absolute, sandalwood, white musk, and fig wood.
    Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Basenotes Institution

jujy54 - yes you were missed. I love 'smell vacations' I always take time off from scents when I'm sick. I enjoy the rest my nose gets.
    ErinK - OMG a bat. I would've FREAKED

L'Heure Fougueuse IV by Cartier

Tired today, I had noisy neighbor problems last night (sigh). And I have to workout today (legs). Wish me strength.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Oh man, that's a lot more interesting than my shrew! At least you didn't have a flyer haha. Hopefully it's doing alright, they do a great job of keeping mosquitoes away.

Quote Originally Posted by ErinK View Post
    OK Ryan, this story's for you: I was getting ready for work this morning and saw one of my cats pounce on something in my room. I figured it was a little jingle bell or something that had gotten nudged under a pillow on my bedroom floor. I lifted the pillow up and found a BAT! His wings were all stretched out so he looked really big and it freaked me out! I picked him up with a wash cloth, put him in a bowl and took him outside. I set him gently on the ground...and when I got to work I learned that bats can't take off from the ground so I'm afraid I have provided some cat food for the outside cats who hang around my street.

*** NEW Lavhim (Lavender, Incense, Candle Wax, Clove, Fir Needles, Cognac & Green Leaves)*** / Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.)

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    ErinK - OMG a bat. I would've FREAKED
    So would I, although they still hold a morbid fascination for me - remarkable creatures.

Smelling especially fine today, Mike - I always thought the mildly animalic horse mane accord would be a problem for me but it proved not to be the case. L'Heure Fougueuse is absolutely compelling.

Jujy, do you need to ask ?.

ADP Fico di Amalfi.

Missing Wolfie and Cello
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 7th August 2014 at 05:59 PM.

Erin, count me in the freaked-out-by-bats contingent.

Welcome back, jujy.

I am wearing Lolita Lempicka today. I was exhausted this morning -- I woke up at 4 a.m. for no reason and had trouble getting back to sleep. I walked with friends and had an early lunch, which seems to have helped.

My son leaves in an hour on a four-day trip for the captains of his fall sports team. He promised to text or email daily. But he said he'd text "not dead yet," so I'm not sure how seriously he's taking it.

Basenotes Plus

SotE - Creed Original Santal.

happy is the bleu heart<3

I'm wearing Bond Andy Warhol today ... was craving the incense+plum notes.

hug to all ...
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Good afternoon friends! What a story Erink! Bats are fascinating, but not a great house pet! Speaking of bats, remind me to tell you my wildlife story from our recent National Parks vacation. It's a doozy!

I'm in Royal Bain de Caron this morning. Lots of housework catchup to accomplish before visitors arrive today.
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

In addition to Erin and Xscent and Mocha, now Danieq and Jujy are counted in attendance, too? More “Yays!”
    You smelled simply lovely yesterday, ExtremeK.
    Channeling my inner Evangeline, wearing Chanel Bel Respiro.

Bats can crawl and climb, so I bet your little critter figured a way up, Erin. However, this is a good reminder that cats shouldn't be allowed to roam.
    Such a pretty label on that bottle, Easyfish.
    Funny son, Mocha.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Basenotes Institution

Prelude to Love by By Kilian

"The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

I tried to post yesterday but apparently it never went through, 8/6/13 I tested Velvet Orchid by TF but showered and wore Atelier Cologne Bois Blonds to work as V.O was just too much to wear in a work setting imo. Today I wore Aventus it's light on me but apparently it has sillage because the cute assistant manager visiting from another store commented on it. (Mr. Tall, tan, blonde and bourgeois) going to my Zumba workout class so will not apply or reapply anything until I get home as it seems a waste to me.
    "I guess it's like most dreams, people work hard for them, they take time, When you arrive you aren't sure if it's what you expected. Hopefully it's better, but I guess that is why people dream and choose to chase them" ~anonymous.

"You’re buying stars to shut out the light. We come alone and alone we die And no matter how hard you try I’ll always belong in the sky" ~ Marina and The Diamonds

Wearing one of my favorites today -- Illuminum Rose Oud.

Tomorrow is Synchronized Friday and the theme is "Your favorite seduction scent". I had no clue. So I asked my husband which of my perfumes was the most seductive fully expecting him to say Shalimar. He didn't say Shalimar but he did pick one of my top three favorites.
    Betsy
    Items in my wardrobe not in the fragrance directory:
    Exhilarators (Elizabeth Arden Bath and Body Spa from 1980's - no relation to Sun Flowers )
    Chanel No. 5 Voile

Lifelong Sniffaholic
    Blog Entries

Good evening all!

I've layered Pacifica Nerola Orange Blossom with Provence Santé Bergamot and like both better in combination than alone.

Xeryus Rouge by Givenchy

Quote Originally Posted by Mocha View Post
    My son leaves in an hour on a four-day trip for the captains of his fall sports team. He promised to text or email daily. But he said he'd text "not dead yet," so I'm not sure how seriously he's taking it.
    OK, Mocha, you know you have to give him a new ring-tone, right? Do you know which one? "I Am Not Dead Yet" from Spamalot. (YouTube it -- even the crappy pirated versions capture the awesome! But I still can't figure out how to post YouTube stuff here -- even with the step-by-step directions, I mess it up. Hopeless.)

Thanks, ((Quarry))!

I went all JFP today in CdG Lily.

Bespoke 8.30.14; testing again.

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by ExtremeK View Post
    OK, Mocha, you know you have to give him a new ring-tone, right? Do you know which one? "I Am Not Dead Yet" from Spamalot. (YouTube it -- even the crappy pirated versions capture the awesome! But I still can't figure out how to post YouTube stuff here -- even with the step-by-step directions, I mess it up. Hopeless.)
    Here it is EK:

Mocha - as someone who was a boy, wanting to grow up just as fast as I can, I can sympathize with your son's reaction. Don't let him fool you - when he's gone from home and having fun with his team, he'll be missing his loving family a lot, but he probably won't be able to express this to you in words. Teenage boy culture just doesn't leave a lot of room for boys to express these sorts of thoughts/feelings/reactions with any sort of "seriousness". It's much more popular to just appear blase and aloof about them. But if your son's at all as sweet as his Mother is, I'm sure those feelings are there. And I'm sure he's going to be just fine Mom, he'll be back in no time.

Ending the evening in a weird choice, what the hell...in:

Jardin du Nil by Maître Parfumeur et Gantier

Last edited by mikeperez23; 8th August 2014 at 03:03 AM.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle