Code of Conduct

Default What am I missing with Bleecker Street ??

Bond No. 9 Bleecker Street seems to be one of the few Bonds that is constantly praised here. How it's "fresh and clean" and a great summer scent. This is the third time I've traveled to Sak's to sample it and all I keep getting is this "Ralph Lauren Purple Label" vibe ... more of a fabric scent that would seem better suited for fall or cooler weather. To my nose, nothing "fresh" about it.

Really, am I missing something?

Default Re: What am I missing with Bleecker Street ??

Perhaps it's just not your cup of tea. I find it a little sweeter that I originally thought it would be too but I get a nice blueberry vibe out of it which to me seems pretty unique. I like it but don't exactly love it.

I just recently got a sample of this and honestly it didn't do much for me considering the praise it gets here and elsewhere. Somewhere I read someone mention it has a salad like vibe and I thought that's a weird thing to say. But when I smelt it, I thought "yeah, I guess I kinda get that a little". I got Chez Bond at the same time and liked it much better.

I think it is pretty versatile - crisp for the warmer weather, but has some heavier mossy notes which make it work well in the cooler weather also. I think it is perfect in the springtime myself, but really can be used in 3 seasons.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    6. Puredistance - Black
    7. Tom Ford - Plum Japonais
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Creed - Royal Oud
    10. Chanel - Egoiste

Ive never got it either. I think most bonds are not worth the price imo. Even the handful that smell good on paper, I think are pretty funky on skin.

Just like all the Bonds, it's pleasant enough to keep me coming back. Only to remind myself of the synthetic, chemical factory smell that kills it for me.

Quote Originally Posted by dmac View Post
    Just like all the Bonds, it's pleasant enough to keep me coming back. Only to remind myself of the synthetic, chemical factory smell that kills it for me.
    Quite right. The OP is missing nothing.

Chez Bond is an excellent frag, but Cool Water & Aspen smell almost as good at a fraction of the price, and it's not cheap enough or different enough from GIT to warrant owning imo. That said, there are subtle differences, and at a discount it's fair enough to get Chez if Creed's supposed batch variations bother you. Other than CB I can't think of a single Bond perfume that ever impressed me enough to consider buying. They're all a little too synthetic to me.

Quote Originally Posted by ziffy321 View Post
    ...all I keep getting is this "Ralph Lauren Purple Label" vibe ...
    To me, that's exactly what it is... a longer lasting, better projecting version of Purple Label, which happens to be one of my favorites. You're not missing anything; not all scents are for everybody.

And to be a tad bit harsh, not everything here at BN (or anywhere for that matter) that's praised will be worth it to everybody. I love it personally, but it fills a certain need for me.

Basenotes Plus

I agree it's a bit synthetic, but I really enjoy it. And did so enough to buy a bottle (at a cheap price, would never pay retail). The fruity, blueberriesh vibe is interesting.

I definitely agree with 3 seasons on this.

Thanks for the responses people. After all these years I find I still try to force myself to like something just because it gets mostly favorable reviews.

At least I didn't do a blind buy ...

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by sdotlow View Post
    I agree it's a bit synthetic, but I really enjoy it. And did so enough to buy a bottle (at a cheap price, would never pay retail). The fruity, blueberriesh vibe is interesting.

I definitely agree with 3 seasons on this.
    You convinced me to bump this on my try list, catch the tail end of summer. Synthetic isn't always a bad word.

Bleecker St. (and New Haarlem) are the only Bonds I have smelled that I thought were different enough to actually stand on their own. So many of them are copies of other fragrances, but I can't think of anything else that smells like those two. Some people prefer Bonds to the more well known/expensive brands. For instance, I actually prefer Hamptons to Creeds Silver Mountain Water.

Being EdP's, Bonds typically have much better than average longevity, and that is a quite unusual thing for a fragrance like Bleecker Street. As an additional plus, Bleecker St. has an unexpected tendency to draw compliments.
    Last edited by RedRaider430; 8th August 2014 at 11:21 PM.
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Vetiver Geranium, Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti) http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...Ess-de-Cerruti

Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome Private Collection, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Pure White Cologne, Vetiver Geranium, Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti) http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by DanHD View Post
    You convinced me to bump this on my try list, catch the tail end of summer. Synthetic isn't always a bad word.
    Its worth trying, and won't be for everyone. It smells great on top which is good, because the scent doesn't really go anywhere. I sprayed a little spritz on the back of my hand around 8 pm, and after waking up its still there. It's got good staying power, I'd say very linear, but smells very nice. Worth $300? Lol no. 50% of that? Sure.

New haarlem is another I've tried and enjoyed. Opens synthetic to me, but smooths out to an amazing coffee, syrupy goodness. I was eating jamocha almond fudge ice cream from Baskin Robbins last night and that kind of tastes like new haarlem smells (had new haarlem on back of my other hand). Definitely a nice coffee note in there. Debating a bottle of this one.

a great deal!

Just received a sample of Bleecker Street but I'm not fond of it. There is some odd note that I can't stand, but thats what sampling is all about. We are not gonna love every fragrance we try (the ratio is probably like 1:7 for me)

Not fond of it either, nor was my family. The bonds I've tried just don't do it for me. One house I'll pass on.
    Top 10:
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Creed Himalaya
    Creed Silver Mountain Water
    Creed Royal Oud
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather
    Tom Ford Tobacco Vanille
    Tom Ford Italian Cypress
    Bleu de Chanel
    Serge Lutens Chergui
    Prada Amber Pour Homme Intense