Code of Conduct

Default Bois d'Arménie question

I smelled the current batch of Guérlain Bois d'Arménie today and was a bit taken aback. It seems quite a bit lighter and less woody & incensey than my old bottle. Wondering if my sniffer is off, or if anyone else has noticed a change in it?

Default Re: Bois d'Arménie question

That would suck, but it's possible. Anymore than three sprays of mine and it's suffocating. 1-2 sprays gets amazing projection. I guess these changes are just a fact of life now. If it's a wow frag..... quickly buy that back up bottle. I have the new LADM and I can detect a diff. Still good, but not the same.....weaker.. less projection. Maybe it will grow on me......sometimes I like a scent with less longevity so I can wear something different right after I wears down.

It'd be a shame of it was reformulated.
    The one I have is a carbon copy of Papier d'Armenie.
    for swap/sale:

I didn't find it particularly strong.

Not aware of any major change in it, but haven't smelled what's out there recently so can't say for sure.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by cazaubon View Post
    I smelled the current batch of Guérlain Bois d'Arménie today and was a bit taken aback. It seems quite a bit lighter and less woody & incensey than my old bottle. Wondering if my sniffer is off, or if anyone else has noticed a change in it?
    You're right. I smelled it recently at the boutique too and wondered why I remembered something so differently. No smoke, no incense. I couldn't sell the idea to a friend of mine who was with me there. This? Inspired by Papier d'Armenie?

In fact, the recent version of their Vetiver disappointed me so bad that I simply can't wear it anymore. I'll save my vintage[ish] ribbed style bottle and use it sparingly for occasional use. I'm totally turned off by it.

I keep reading Wasser is doing such wonderful work with their revivals but that must apply only to their classic feminines?

I think they come out with something amazing at first, but after it gains popularity the money men try to get the perfumer to increase the margin as much as possible while keeping it close enough that the average person would never notice. Or cheaper aroma chemicals or poor batches of essential oils are being used. The quality of these things vary like wine vintages.

I tend to agree with you, elevation. A friend suggested to me it might be a difference of stage of maceration (she swears Chanels need to sit for 3-6 months before using them as they don't smell right to her when they are too freshly made) but I'm not so sure. The tester at one Guérlain counter was better than the other one, the weaker smelling one was at the newer counter (store that has only had Guérlain exclusives for 6 months). Who knows. But neither smelled anywhere near as rich as my original bottle. Sad.