Code of Conduct

Default Chandler Burr's Untitled S02E04

Did anybody else get this? Mine arrived today!

Default Re: Chandler Burr's Untitled S02E04

Ah, forgot to try - any thoughts on this one, should I save my money?
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. by Kilian - Incense Oud
    5. Puredistance - Black
    6. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    7. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    8. Brückner - Aoud 1
    9. Creed - Royal English Leather
    10. House of Matriarch - Blackbird

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Ah, forgot to try - any thoughts on this one, should I save my money?

Thoughts: The last one used laundry musks in an aquatic scent and was groundbreaking.

Chandler Burr said that this one was unusual in the same way the last one was. Maybe the first popular laundry-musk containing fruity floral?

The thing that bothers me is that he says "we might be surprised" by the year of launch. I would be very astonished if it was launched before about 2000. What I don't understand is how he could expect we would be surprised by the year of launch of something containing laundry musks.
    Last edited by Redhorse; 11th August 2014 at 08:32 PM. Reason: To offer to share

Pardon my ignorance but I saw these on Lucky Scent and I do not understand what they are - I know he is a critic but are these previously released scents? His own scents? New scents?? What is going on here exactly?

Thanks

Basenotes Plus

The idea is to guess what it is.

There are other threads here on the previous ones.

These are recent.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/381...er-Burr-S02E02
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/385...ntitled-S02E03
    Last edited by lpp; 9th August 2014 at 09:48 AM.
    Directory contribution link:-
    http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php

I received it. I get candied fruit, then a massive blast of cupcake, then laundry musk and powder. I actually enjoyed this on my pillow last night, it gave me very pleasant dreams. I don't eat cupcakes, but now I can smell them,yummy!
    But I am so far out of the target age range for this one (10-14 year old girls) that I could never wear it in public. On paper or cloth, the bakery smell is very nice. On skin, a plasticky note emerges and gets stronger. I'm not sure if this is Fantasy or Love's Baby Soft. It seems a perfect perfume for a Barbie....

I was wondering why CB doesn't issue older classics (older than the 90s) and then it hit me, duh, while getting these bottles made up, the producers still have to follow IFRA regs, don't they? And even if they don't have to, many materials are now out of the market or outright banned. So I suppose he is restricted to modern perfumes and that is it. Do you think that is the case?

I smell grapefruit and rose (maybe some jasmine) and musk. There's also sweetness, but not the cotton candy sweetness of the past few years.
    I'd guess amber or benzoin, and there's also some vanilla. This puts it to me as a post-2000, but pre-2010 launch. It smells feminine, and it doesn't feel "edgy" or statement-making. This is something aimed at the mass market, and probably at young mass-market (but not the pre-pubescent "I love Bieber" group).

If I try to ignore how much I hate the musks, it's a nicer fruity floral. The grapefruit is realistic, like in the 03, and the flower combination is well-balanced. It's also not over-poweringly sticky, and I don't smell the cheaper variety of vanilla. On the other hand, it does not smell expensive enough to be a designer scent. I think this is either a better drugstore celebuscent or maybe an earlier B&B or VS type offering.

Hi Elf! Yay, someone else on this thread!!
    I didn't notice your comments earlier, probably because it posted while I was still dithering composing mine. Your IFRA thought makes a lot of sense. Fortunately, there are lots of good things available now. I wish I'd done the 02, since my bottle of Sur Le Nil has about 10mL left!!!!

Cupcakes huh? I wouldn't mind cupcakes!!! I'm going to try spraying it on some cloth and see if that tones the musks down. Maybe then I'll get cupcakes too Else, I'm going to be making another bathroom donation....but this time in the womens' room. Interesting, we both think it's aimed at mass market, but your age range is slightly lower. I was thinking under 25...probably due to cupcakes vs fruity floral. What do you think about its quality? Plastic bottle or glass?
    Last edited by Redhorse; 11th August 2014 at 08:33 PM.

Well, Redhorse, I'd have to say plastic, but I think this is from the early 2000s, and there was higher quality juice in the bottle back then, even if the bottle was a celebuscent plastic thingy. I'm still laughing about this one, because I am genuinely having fun with it, and never in a million years would I have bought it if it hadn't been in an arty/ posh Chandler Burr sniffie.... :-) I have the feeling CB is laughing a little, too....

Agreed. I think it would be plastic-worthy today, but it's not bad for what it is. I am going to pm you with my best guess, based on a search of the notes and his comments. Bwah, if it is what I think it is I didn't even bother trying it, and we are broadening our knowledge if nothing else. Though I wish he'd drive us down some more interesting roads of exploration. At least now I feel more justified in my snootery

Do you think he's laughing? I wonder....if I were him I would be annoyed we aren't slavering over it....though maybe there are others who will smell it and love it and be suitably astonished that such a wonderful thing came in a plastic bottle. Of course, if we are wrong and it's a super-expensive release from a revered house that I have been aching to buy, I will most certainly be laughing at myself (and quickly selling it here for a profit )

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    The idea is to guess what it is.

There are other threads here on the previous ones.

These are recent.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/381...er-Burr-S02E02
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/385...ntitled-S02E03
    Actually, I thought he said that the point wasn't so much for it to be a guessing game as to approach the scent without the preconceptions that come along with knowing what it is, and the marketing (including the list of notes, etc.), but a guessing game is fun too.
    Signature Scent

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    Actually, I thought he said that the point wasn't so much for it to be a guessing game as to approach the scent without the preconceptions that come along with knowing what it is, and the marketing (including the list of notes, etc.), but a guessing game is fun too.

No clue personally but that seemed like an indication of the process at the time
    Thanks for the info.!
    Directory contribution link:-
    http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php

On Luckyscent, I tried to refrain from listing notes or guessing (except when a note is significant for its cultural meaning), but here, the discussion is freer and more spontaneous, and I love to read other people's guesses and lists of notes!

Hi Elf, I have a question. Does the cupcake accord smell like baked pastry or like unbaked cupcake mix? Wondering because if what I thought of as slightly "eggy" or yolky vanilla could actually be cupcake.

I forgot to wash off about 10 sprays of mystery 04 before going to the movies, and asked my buddy if I was overly smelly/offensive before we got to the seats. He said I smelled like baby powder, which is funny. It's still there, smelling vaguely vanillla-ish right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Elf View Post
    I received it. I get candied fruit, then a massive blast of cupcake, then laundry musk and powder. I actually enjoyed this
    on my pillow last night, it gave me very pleasant dreams. I don't eat cupcakes, but now I can smell them,yummy!
    But I am so far out of the target age range for this one (10-14 year old girls) that I could never wear it in public. On paper or cloth, the bakery smell is very nice. On skin, a plasticky note emerges and gets stronger. I'm not sure if this is Fantasy or Love's Baby Soft. It seems a perfect perfume for a Barbie....

I was wondering why CB doesn't issue older classics (older than the 90s) and then it hit me, duh, while getting these bottles made up, the producers still have to follow IFRA regs, don't they? And even if they don't have to, many materials are now out of the market or outright banned. So I suppose he is restricted to modern perfumes and that is it. Do you think that is the case?

Interesting question, and now that you mention it, I'd say, batter! Cold Stone Creamery has a Cake Batter ice cream that smells very similar. After the cupcake batter note, the "pink plastic" note comes in strong and gradually takes over, along with a smashing bash of laundry musk. Does Demeter have a Cake Batter fragrance? That would make an interesting comparison.

Well, that completely sways me over to your point of view, especially since I trust your nose on this more than my own. I'm swamped by musk over here.

Pink plastic? Is it vinyl or is it heliotrope/almond doll-head?

I think the development in the musks in 03 vs 04 is very interesting (since they're primarily what I smell). In comparison to 03, the musks in 04 are less harsh and more refined. That is why I date 04 as later than 03, but not very recent. There is an odd and harsh masculine note (smells kind of like tetrahydrofuran to me) that is present in both 03 and 04, but that is very pronounced in 03. I associate this note with laundry musks, which is why I put the price-point as low for 04. In 03, it's so present as to be deliberate, and it's why I found 03 to be overwhelmingly masculine.

Well, I might be talking to myself on the musk-analysis, but honestly I found this one interesting. I've never really thought about why I like/dislike certain perfumes. This example made me think about it.
    Last edited by Redhorse; 11th August 2014 at 08:35 PM.

Hi all,
    Got my S02E04 yesterday. My 17 year old son ripped it out of the box, smelled it and announced "It's definitely for a girl". It made me smile because i can see that he's enjoying the Series. He wears S02E03 every day.
    I really like 04. Some vanilla scents are too much for me, such as S01's Vanille Insensee. I found that one thick and murky with vanilla. This one is a light luminescent vanilla that gets better as it dries down. It's really pretty. I can't describe all the notes as well as some of you can, but I agree with the vanilla, musk and refined prettiness. Sorry I don't get a blast of cupcake, maybe a whiff. I like it and find it easy to wear both day and night.
    I am curious about what freebie samples you guys are getting from Lucky Scent... I thought it would be fun if we discussed them too! I saved my 3 samples from 03 and here they are:
    1. Mistral Patchouli by Atelier Cologne
    2. Aqua Universalis Forte by Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    3. Jardin du Poete by Eau D'Italie.

Mistral Patchouli was delicious and sexy. Loved it. Aqua was terrible. Jardin du Poete was OK, just OK.
    Chandler, I hope you have not chosen 2 or 3 for the Series. Lol

I only got 2 freebies with my 04. Haven't experienced them yet. Looking forward to hearing what you all got.

Holly

Guys: 1. I would NEVER, ever laugh, at anyone. It's not something I'd do. It would be offensive and directly contrary to the whole sense of the Series, not to mention pointless and stupid. 2. I'm almost entirely anosmic to Galaxolide. I can smell it for about 2 seconds as a single material, then it goes. But I can smell it in formulae in solution. 3. Elf's cake batter is, to me, spot on. 4. Hollydebra's 17yo son is right: Yes, they're marketing it to women. (That one isn't much of a surprise, but on principle I never talk about the marketing till the reveal. But in this case, well.) 5. FYI the two perfumers who created it are extremely proud of it. 6. I have to negotiate every episode with scent makers and brands starting basically from zero, and for some reason it's been more difficult to get older works. But we are going back in the future.

I don't think Elf meant there was actual laughing. At least I didn't take it that way. It has got to be a lot of fun watching from the other side, and we wonder what you think.....that is all. I just went and read some interesting articles on galaxolide anosmia. And it is really pretty awesome that you are in here interacting with us. Just as a btw.

I will bet the perfumers are proud of this one. If Elf is right, they struck a home run.

When will your next one come out?

Hollydebra, I got satellite Padparadsha in my package. I like it. Luckyscent usually choose well.
    Last edited by Redhorse; 13th August 2014 at 11:49 AM. Reason: Samples comment

Ah, of course I didn't mean actual laughing at, but I did mean chuckling a little with good humor. Because that's what I am doing. If this is what I think it is, in all my years of perfumistahood (about a decade now), and after testing thousands of perfumes, I never tested this one. I had no idea what it smelled like, and no interest in it whatsoever. But now, in a totally different context with all the marketing and hype taken away, I am really enjoying it and seeing it in a historical/cultural context I missed up until now. So I am certainly chuckling at myself!

I wore E04 last night out to dinner. I loved how this scent smelled all night. May be my new fave. It's gorgeous.

Now that is terrific news! How cool is it that you found a new favorite based on a blind sniff? Now we just need to find out which one it is!!!

I do not know why, but it gives me good dreams if I spray my pillow with this before falling asleep. I stopped using it for a few nights and my dreams were neutral to unpleasant. Tonight, 04 is back on my pillow! Big Pharma might want to know about this one....

A perfume that gives good dreams--I love "Big Pharma might want to know about this one"--and a new favorite. I'm looking forward to your reaction on finding out what it is. Reveal in a week.

I'd love to try this out but I just can't justify $40 just for postage. Do you think we could persuade one of the companies to do similar in the UK, or at least in Europe?
    'I suggest we learn to love ourselves before it's made illegal.'

sfmedusa, I've spoken with some European scent stores about doing the Series in parallel, and they're certainly interested, but at the moment the logistics of it are, unfortunately, too difficult. I hope it will happen in the future, but it's tough to organize for a hyper-limited series like this.

Mr. Burr, this series has been a lot of fun so far. I can't help but ask, when will 05 be debuting??

Elf, I'm not sure yet, but I think mid-September, about two weeks after E04's Sept 1 Reveal.

Wink Re: Chandler Burr's Untitled S02E04

Quote Originally Posted by Elf View Post
    I do not know why, but it gives me good dreams if I spray my pillow with this before falling asleep. I stopped using it for a few nights and my dreams were neutral to unpleasant. Tonight, 04 is back on my pillow! Big Pharma might want to know about this one....

Elf, I understand what you mean about the good dreams! 04 is very soothing, kind of like cookies are baking in the oven.

I'd love to try this as well, we can only hope it makes its way to the UK shortly, those postage costs are ridic!!

I do believe Mr. Burr has given the name of S02E04 exactly in his response previously.
    Hiding in plain sight. Back to the future indeed. There is no obsession to be had here over what this may be now.

Cookies baking--after the reveal I'm going to show this thread to the perfumers; I'm very interested to see what they'll think.

Mr. Burr I am honored. Complete Respect. Holding my breath 'til September first.

Quote Originally Posted by chandlerburr View Post
    Cookies baking--after the reveal I'm going to show this thread to the perfumers; I'm very interested to see what they'll think.
    The mystery is officially killing me now!

I suppose well have to wait until tomorrow to find out.

I didn't buy it this time around, but I am anxious to hear what it I'd after reading all about it. It sounds something my wife would like.

Blog Entries

So what is it?

He has got the reveal up on Luckyscent now. Let us just say he got us again!!! And, hugely ironically, it is called CK Reveal.
    Ok, I have to admit it, I am enjoying this Untitled Series way more than I expected to. Well worth the ticket for admission!!!

He absolutely got us again. I never saw this one coming. . Full disclosure: I would not try this on my own ever! I am a self-admitted fragrance snob and ignore the mall counter fragrances. Lol. I remember being grossed out by Obsession years ago when everyone poured it on and it hung in the air like a cheap bar. Gotta say I really love this. I think it will appeal to women of many ages brackets too. Pretty, pretty, pretty. Butter, amber, vanilla, powder. Thanks Chandler for the fun journey!