Code of Conduct
Results 1 to 35 of 35
  1. #1

    Default An unscented deodorant that actually works?

    Hi there, I see there has been some discussion in the past but perhaps there are some new base noters that can add.

    Unfortunately I cannot use anti-perspirant because a) the aluminium irritates my skin, and b) when it mixes with my sweat I get stains under the shirt armpits. These stains come about in 4 uses and I have to throw the shirt out. I just cannot get rid of them.

    As a result, I have to use a deodorant stick like Old Spice because of the the strong chemicals neutralise the odour. I've tried Tom's and some other more "natural" sticks with no luck.

    Can anyone make any recommendations for aluminium free, non scented deodorants that actually work?

    Cheers

  2. #2

    Default Re: An unscented deodorant that actually works?

    I also had trouble with the "standard" Tom's of Main products, but now I've been really happy with their crystal (salt) deodorant -- I believe it's called Natural Confidence. There's an unscented version available. I wouldn't say it eliminates ALL odor (as by the end of the day there's some), but for me it definitely keeps it under good control.

  3. #3

    Default Re: An unscented deodorant that actually works?

    i use an alum block

  4. #4

    Default Re: An unscented deodorant that actually works?

    Vichy 24 h Very Sensitive (preferably as roll-on or stick), Bekra Mineral and Hydro Fugal (the latter two affordable German brands, quite easily purchasable online) did the job quite decently so far, while not interfering with any given fragrance worn either.

  5. #5

    Default Re: An unscented deodorant that actually works?

    ahhh.. those yellow stains under the armpits! I don't know how many t-shirt I got to throw out before finding this little trick and now I don't have to throw my t-shirts anymore. Try this :

    - 2 teaspoon of baking soda
    - 2 teaspoon of hydrogen peroxyde
    - 1 teaspoon of Dawn dishwashing soap (I tried with many other brand and only Dawn worked.. so..)

    Mix these to get a paste. Now use a toothbrush and brush the stains with some paste. Let it stay in place for 30min-1h then just wash the t-shirts like you would normally. The stains will be removed and the t-shirts will be like a brand new.

    I'm so happy to have found this trick because for me only aluminium anti-perspirent work good so...

  6. #6

    Default Re: An unscented deodorant that actually works?

    I'm using Dove Men Care - "clean comfort" and it works. It has just a very faint soapy smell and it really works for 48 hours. But it's an anti-perspirant, so I guess I didn't help you much.

  7. #7
    Allen-on-Holiday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Dallas - Fort Worth area, Texas
    Posts
    681

    Default Re: An unscented deodorant that actually works?

    I have used Arm & Hammer ESSENTIALS Unscented for years, and it works when others didn't. http://c2.soap.com/images/products/p/dl/dl-110_1z.jpg
    Last edited by Allen-on-Holiday; 9th August 2014 at 03:35 PM.
    Licorice candy for breakfast, and another dab of Black Vines by Kerosene. And a spritz of Plum Japonais for Sunday.

    I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like

  8. #8

    Default Re: An unscented deodorant that actually works?

    Quote Originally Posted by Allen-on-Holiday View Post
    I have used Arm & Hammer ESSENTIALS Unscented for years, and it works when others didn't. http://c2.soap.com/images/products/p/dl/dl-110_1z.jpg
    Gonna check it out.

  9. #9

    Default Re: An unscented deodorant that actually works?

    I use "Mitchum Advanced Control 48h Unperfumed", it works fine for me, even it is marked for women

  10. #10

    Default Re: An unscented deodorant that actually works?

    MenScience Advanced Deodorant.

    A little pricy but it works amazingly well , unscented aluminium free , keeps you TOTALY fresh for about 24.

    A MUST try.

  11. #11

    Default Re: An unscented deodorant that actually works?

    I have tried Arm & Hammer Essentials unscented - and felt it had a scent! But regular A&H unscented works great for me. Should be same price.

  12. #12

    Default Re: An unscented deodorant that actually works?

    Hi!

    Just moving this to Men's Grooming.

    This recent thread may also be of interest.
    http://www.basenotes.net/threads/381...antiperspirant
    Directory contribution link:-
    http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php

  13. #13

    Default Re: An unscented deodorant that actually works?

    I generally use Sanex Zero %.

    - no aluminium chlorohydrate
    - no alcohol
    - no parabens

    It's uses aluin and is practically scentless.

  14. #14

    Default Re: An unscented deodorant that actually works?

    I use Thai crystal stone / alum block

    Another great one is primal pit paste though this smells a little of coconut

  15. #15

    Default Re: An unscented deodorant that actually works?

    Ok I'll look into those. Cheers

  16. #16

    Default Re: An unscented deodorant that actually works?

    Don't know if any help to you but look into a product named "Driclor"
    It's a roll on and can be used along side a deodrant you apply it at night and wash off in the morning. you only need to use it maybe once a week and it completely stops sweating its changed my life
    Danny G Designs
    Freelance Graphic Designer & Body Builder

  17. #17
    Allen-on-Holiday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Dallas - Fort Worth area, Texas
    Posts
    681

    Default Re: An unscented deodorant that actually works?

    Quote Originally Posted by HankHarvey View Post
    I have tried Arm & Hammer Essentials unscented - and felt it had a scent! But regular A&H unscented works great for me. Should be same price.
    Yes, it has a slight scent at first, but not enough to keep me from using it. I think it works better than others.
    Licorice candy for breakfast, and another dab of Black Vines by Kerosene. And a spritz of Plum Japonais for Sunday.

    I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like

  18. #18

    Default Re: An unscented deodorant that actually works?

    I have had good luck with Crystal. It's like an alum stick. No odor after 12 hours even when working outside.

  19. #19

    Default Re: An unscented deodorant that actually works?

    Deodorants stop your perspiration breaking down and smelling bad for four hours or so. Is that what you really want?

    Or are you after a less aggravating anti-perspirant?

    Most antiperspirants are made from aluminium salts. The only one I've come across which had different salts in its composition was the Aramis Lab Series antiperspirant stick (but check the ingredients on the packet to make sure this is still the case).

    Others here have recommended Alum blocks. You can get the same thing in "natural" crystal deodorant sticks which usually cost less than shaving Alum blocks, but which are the same thing - the only difference should be on the tube where it states the ingredients as either Potassium Alum or Ammonium Alum (both work fine, but the Ammonium Alum stings slightly more when applied to shaving nicks).

    Yes, these are still basically aluminium salts, but we apply them onto our face after shaving to soothe nicks and cuts - and you can't do that with typical anti-perspirants without a lot of pain. Whether you still would get stains on your shirts from using Alum, i have no idea. You'd have to experiment.
    Regards,
    Renato

  20. #20

    Default Re: An unscented deodorant that actually works?

    Quote Originally Posted by Allen-on-Holiday View Post
    I have used Arm & Hammer ESSENTIALS Unscented for years, and it works when others didn't. http://c2.soap.com/images/products/p/dl/dl-110_1z.jpg
    Plus one to this deodorant. I've been using this for year when others have irritated my skin.

  21. #21

    Default Re: An unscented deodorant that actually works?

    Anything that says "crystal," "salt","alum," or "no aluminum chlorohydrate" simply use other aluminum salts as antiperspirant agents. The all-natural crystal whatevers work exactly the same as normal antiperspirants.

    The Menscience deodorant works pretty well for a non-antiperspirant product.

  22. #22

    Default Re: An unscented deodorant that actually works?

    Quote Originally Posted by squats View Post
    Anything that says "crystal," "salt","alum," or "no aluminum chlorohydrate" simply use other aluminum salts as antiperspirant agents. The all-natural crystal whatevers work exactly the same as normal antiperspirants.

    The Menscience deodorant works pretty well for a non-antiperspirant product.
    These do not work as 'antiperspirants' but as a deodorant. They don't block the perspiration from coming through, you still sweat, they kill the bacteria from causing the sweat to create odor...I think. I use the crystal brand salt deodorant and my pits still sweat, they just don't stink.
    I am in the restaurant business, so I am pretty aware of what works to kill pit odor. The last thing a customer wants is a waiter with B/O

  23. #23

    Default Re: An unscented deodorant that actually works?

    No aluminum-free product will be as effictive as an anti-perspirant at stopping odor. And it's sure not going to stop wetness. So, use whichever suits you best, and then dust your armpits with baking soda afterward. No more odor, no more wetness.
    Snarky is as snarky does.

  24. #24

    Default Re: An unscented deodorant that actually works?

    I used Arm & Hammer Essentials, and recommended it to others, for years. A while ago I realized that its recipe replaces aluminum with Triclosan- an antibiotic. In my opinion not the best trade off.

    I stopped using it, and now I am making my own deodorant using coconut oil, banking soda, tapioca or arrowroot starch, and beeswax (plenty of recipes online). You can scent it using essential oils or just leave it as is if you cannot stand any scent.
    Last edited by darkdreams; 19th August 2014 at 03:02 AM.

  25. #25

    Default Re: An unscented deodorant that actually works?

    Yes, I bought some Arm & Hammer to try and noticed the triclosan on the label. It also irritated my skin a little. I'm trying Trader Joe's unscented brand at the moment. It's ok, but nothing brilliant. I'm not a big sweater, its more about the odour really. I'll keep experimenting

  26. #26

    Default Re: An unscented deodorant that actually works?

    degree 24/7 does work amazingly, no stains or anyting, but slight smell that disappears after 20 mins, for me at least. I tried unscented, natural stuff but it was all crappy.

  27. #27

    Default Re: An unscented deodorant that actually works?

    Quote Originally Posted by smoothie72 View Post
    These do not work as 'antiperspirants' but as a deodorant. They don't block the perspiration from coming through, you still sweat, they kill the bacteria from causing the sweat to create odor...I think. I use the crystal brand salt deodorant and my pits still sweat, they just don't stink. I am in the restaurant business, so I am pretty aware of what works to kill pit odor. The last thing a customer wants is a waiter with B/O
    Post a picture of the ingredients on your crystal doohickey, and I will show you an antiperspirant.

    Most of them contain "alum." This is potassium aluminum sulfate, another aluminum salt (like aluminum chlorohydrate or aluminum zirconium) with natural antiperspirant characteristics. And it works very well--just like any other antiperspirant.

    I'm not criticizing anyone for using antiperspirant. I'm just pointing out that the way these products are marketed is extremely misleading. People think they are not using an antiperspirant, but they are.

    This is mostly accomplished by repeating the phrase "all natural" all over the packaging. Sulfuric acid is also "all natural," but it is not necessarily safer or better than Arrid Extra Dry Rollon.

    And for the record, I wear antiperspirant. I'm just trying to point out the cynical marketing practices.
    Last edited by squats; 20th August 2014 at 11:48 AM.

  28. #28
    Dependent chili_willi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Sweet Home Alabama
    Posts
    1,719

    Default Re: An unscented deodorant that actually works?

    I have been using this stuff for over 2 years and it has worked great for me. I have one in the bathroom and one in my travel bag and best I can tell, I am never going to run out of either one. These things last forever.

  29. #29

    Default Re: An unscented deodorant that actually works?

    Quote Originally Posted by darkdreams View Post
    I used Arm & Hammer Essentials, and recommended it to others, for years. A while ago I realized that its recipe replaces aluminum with Triclosan- an antibiotic. In my opinion not the best trade off.

    I stopped using it, and now I am making my own deodorant using coconut oil, banking soda, tapioca or arrowroot starch, and beeswax (plenty of recipes online). You can scent it using essential oils or just leave it as is if you cannot stand any scent.
    That's how I am doing it, too. My recipes are changing with every batch. What I always do is grounding the crystalline baking soda in a mortar. A bit laborious but I find it otherwise too scratchy on the skin.

    Example:
    Baking soda 13 g (actually I take pure NaHCO3, what's called „baking soda” in Germany often contains additives I found to be irritating my skin)
    Zinc oxide 10 g
    Shea butter 21 g
    Babassu oil 6 g
    Almond oil 4 g

    I don't melt the solid oils, just working them into the NaHCO3 and zinc oxide in the mortar.

    - - - Updated - - -

    For the stains in the shirts you could try soaking those parts in citric acid (use lemon or decalcifying agent) before washing.
    You cannot control your own population by force, but it can be distracted by consumption.

    Noam Chomsky

  30. #30

    Default Re: An unscented deodorant that actually works?

    Quote Originally Posted by chili_willi View Post
    I have been using this stuff for over 2 years and it has worked great for me. I have one in the bathroom and one in my travel bag and best I can tell, I am never going to run out of either one. These things last forever.
    What some posters were saying was that the ingredient in this type of deodorant is alum- the same ingredient that makes many try to avoid the regular commercial deodorants.

    - - - Updated - - -

    Quote Originally Posted by Graphite View Post
    That's how I am doing it, too. My recipes are changing with every batch. What I always do is grounding the crystalline baking soda in a mortar. A bit laborious but I find it otherwise too scratchy on the skin.

    Example:
    Baking soda 13 g (actually I take pure NaHCO3, what's called „baking soda” in Germany often contains additives I found to be irritating my skin)
    Zinc oxide 10 g
    Shea butter 21 g
    Babassu oil 6 g
    Almond oil 4 g

    I don't melt the solid oils, just working them into the NaHCO3 and zinc oxide in the mortar.

    - - - Updated - - -

    For the stains in the shirts you could try soaking those parts in citric acid (use lemon or decalcifying agent) before washing.
    I think I read about some type or organic baking soda, at least in the US. I have not tried it because, well, I am lazy. My current batch of deodorant has melted and I need to sort of mix it up and apply it with my finger - probably not enough beeswax. This is why I am not even trying to post the recipe. What is the purpose of the zinc oxide in your recipe?

  31. #31

    Default Re: An unscented deodorant that actually works?

    Quote Originally Posted by darkdreams View Post
    I think I read about some type or organic baking soda, at least in the US. I have not tried it because, well, I am lazy. My current batch of deodorant has melted and I need to sort of mix it up and apply it with my finger - probably not enough beeswax. This is why I am not even trying to post the recipe. What is the purpose of the zinc oxide in your recipe?
    Mine is actually a deo creme and I apply it with my fingers anyway. Your comment just reminded me of this fact and that some people possibly do not like this.

    Coconut oil is getting liquid at relative low temperatures. Maybe you want to test some oils or butters that have a higher melting point like shea, babassu, capuacu, cocoa or mango butter. Preferably the refined version.

    Zinc oxide is antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, astringent and soothing.

    I am not sure what you mean by organic regarding the baking soda, but I personally wouldn't use one containing kaliumhydrogentartrat aka wine stone which is sometimes marketed as an alternative to the usual powder.
    You cannot control your own population by force, but it can be distracted by consumption.

    Noam Chomsky

  32. #32

    Default Re: An unscented deodorant that actually works?

    Organic is the equivalent of "bio", however it is a good question what it might mean when it refers to baking soda. I assumed it would mean naturally occurring (?!), as opposed to lab made, although I am not convinced that that would make it safer or better. I used the regular one that people use for baking.

    The part that bothers me a little at this deodorant is not that I have to apply it with my fingers - I suppose I could look for a roll-on container-, but that when the coconut oil melts, the solids decant to the bottom. But I also did not put much thought or effort into making it, surely there are recipes that take care of this.

    When it was cold, I had it poured into a stick deo container and it worked great, until it got warm and it started to leak. You need extra care when traveling too. But overall, I am quite pleased.

    Quote Originally Posted by Graphite View Post
    Mine is actually a deo creme and I apply it with my fingers anyway. Your comment just reminded me of this fact and that some people possibly do not like this.

    Coconut oil is getting liquid at relative low temperatures. Maybe you want to test some oils or butters that have a higher melting point like shea, babassu, capuacu, cocoa or mango butter. Preferably the refined version.

    Zinc oxide is antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, astringent and soothing.

    I am not sure what you mean by organic regarding the baking soda, but I personally wouldn't use one containing kaliumhydrogentartrat aka wine stone which is sometimes marketed as an alternative to the usual powder.

  33. #33

    Default Re: An unscented deodorant that actually works?

    Womens deodorant works better than mens.

  34. #34

    Default Re: An unscented deodorant that actually works?

    Quote Originally Posted by squats View Post
    Anything that says "crystal," "salt","alum," or "no aluminum chlorohydrate" simply use other aluminum salts as antiperspirant agents. The all-natural crystal whatevers work exactly the same as normal antiperspirants.

    The Menscience deodorant works pretty well for a non-antiperspirant product.
    So Crystal that has "alum" in it will stain my shirts? For some reason my sweat mixes with the aluminium chlorohydrate and creates stains I cannot get rid of.

  35. #35

    Default Re: An unscented deodorant that actually works?

    Just tried milk of magnesia for the first time today, and it worked quite well. 88 right now and I have been out all day in a long sleeve button up with undershirt. Put 60 ml in a brown glass atomizer and applied a few sprays to each underarm.

Similar Threads

  1. unscented (or lightly scented) DEODORANT
    By timmytucker in forum Men's Grooming
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11th August 2014, 02:33 PM
  2. Best unscented deodorant?
    By Willanhanyard in forum Men's Grooming
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 27th February 2014, 05:48 PM
  3. BEST UNSCENTED DEODORANT?
    By scenteur7 in forum Men's Grooming
    Replies: 87
    Last Post: 6th February 2014, 09:07 PM
  4. Tom's of Maine unscented deodorant?
    By Hobbes in forum Men's Grooming
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 26th May 2008, 05:18 PM
  5. Is there an unscented deodorant?
    By Yvan in forum Men's Grooming
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 23rd November 2004, 05:22 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •