Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default MiN New York, Scent Stories Vol. 1

I just read the article on these, wow eleven (11) scents...has anyone smelled them?

Barrel
    A vivid, bodied, oak scent over clean soil

Dahab
    An exotic African spice market

Dune Road
    A green, botanical marine-musk

Long Board
    A bright, buoyant tropical tuberose

Magic Circus
    A sweet, gourmand-esque scent with woody facets

Momento
    A retro futurist take on the aromatic genre

Moon Dust
    A desiccated, mineralic abstraction

Old School Bench
    A semi-gourmand wood scent

Onsen
    A clean, minimalist ashy scent

Shaman
    A bright, candied violet

The Botanist
    A green and vegetal musk
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Default Re: MiN New York, Scent Stories Vol. 1

Sorry, no. Never even heard of them. But The Botanist "vegetal" musk sounds interesting.
    Licorice candy for breakfast, and another dab of Black Vines by Kerosene. And a spritz of Plum Japonais for Sunday.

I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like what I like

Thanks for the info. Will take a trip to MINNYC and check them out.

Well, I've tried them, but I'm sure the article gave that away There's not much written on this line so far as the official release won't be until later in the year, but aside from me, Mark has covered them here. His take's a little different to mine, but for my money, Moon Dust is the standout followed by Old School Bench and Barrel.

Quote Originally Posted by PalmBeach View Post
    That's literally the article he linked in the OP....

Anyway, I've been interested in these since I first read that article as well. A few really jumped out at me like Dune Road, Moon Dust, and Barrel. I'll have to see if I can't track down samples in the near future (once they're released).
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

Basenotes Plus

I have samples of some of these. I've only tried Dune Road - a late afternoon walk along the beach with seaweed washing up as the waves crash in.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    That's literally the article he linked in the OP....
    Oopps, your right.

Didn't see it highlighted on my iPad.

Basenotes Institution

They sound very edgy and esoteric, which of course I am happy about. Of course I hope they're wearable.

I must admit, from reading the article, the one that interests me the most is Moon Dust.

Does anyone know if they will they be selling a 'sample pack' of these?
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    Does anyone know if they will they be selling a 'sample pack' of these?
    It's still a little up in the air as to how these will be presented and distributed. They're going to Pitti in September and after that there should be some news as to where and how they'll be available. Obviously, they'll be available through MiN, but this is essentially a new perfume line and so there should be some wider distribution. Because the line covers a lot of aesthetic territory, I'm not sure I could suggest a full sampler as I'd imaging few people would enjoy every scent.

As far as wearable goes, there's a spectrum: Onsen is super easy to wear and from what I was told, it's the most popular (it's very safe). Yet a scent like The Botanist is a bit of a different story though As a collection, it's kind of all over the place.

Basenotes Institution

Oh so they won't just be available at MiN? Interesting...

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

I was at MiN 2 weeks ago and these are not on display for testing. You can special order them from their website though. To smell these you have to be a member of their "club" or be invited. I applied for membership while visiting and was accepted in a week but that did not help with sampling while I was there. At least membership gives you a 15% discount on most items if you order by phone and samples are free. I did order a couple of scents from them and asked for samples of Moon Dust and Dune Road so I should have those samples next week.

The following is from their website...

The MiN New York Club is a private higher-tiered level of*

service for friends, collectors and connoisseurs. Some perks of this COMPLIMENTARY MEMBERSHIP include:

* Year-Round Complimentary Access to MiN New York*
    1st Dibs, Private Collections including SCENT STORIES, and other rare collectibles

* Priority Concierge Service

* Exclusive Invitation to Speakeasies,*
    Salons, & Workshops

&

* a limited edition MiN NEW YORK TOKEN for*
    access to our MEMBER VAULT*

MiN New York Club Membership is BY INVITATION ONLY and requires acceptance and approval by our Board.*
    To apply for a coveted seat, please complete*THIS FORM.
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

They're actually kept in the store in a room behind the counter, but because they're curated, you have to make prior arrangements to try them. This is the exclusive preview aspect, but they'll see wider distribution soon enough. If anyone's planning on visiting MiN, as long as you make arrangements ahead of time, you'll be able to try them. Otherwise, wait until after Pitti.

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    MiN New York Club Membership is BY INVITATION ONLY and requires acceptance and approval by our Board.*
    To apply for a coveted seat, please complete*THIS FORM.
    Good Lord...Stuff like this totally rubs me the wrong way. pass

Received the invitation and acceptance welcome from the "Board" Will see how this plays out.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by james1051 View Post
    Good Lord...Stuff like this totally rubs me the wrong way. pass
    I have to be honest: I was a uncomfortable with this myself while I was writing up the article (I danced around it in a big way). While I understand the notion of an extended preview before the collection is fully distributed, I'm not convinced that this is an effective approach.

Basenotes Member

I too am very turned off by this exclusive/membership required to sniff business. I'm a huge fan of MiN, but this bugs me. When I went to the membership request page, I felt like I was applying for a job. My fragrance to-explore & to-buy lists are way too long to concern myself with qualifying to this house's standards for the privilege to smell/purchase/wear their fragrance.

Dune Road smelled good though. Since it is now released to us members of the 'general public,' I bought a bottle on the spot yesterday. Go figure

-Delly

Basenotes Institution

So the scents are in the store now Delly?

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Member

So the scents are in the store now Delly?
    Yeah! They have three scents available for purchase in store: Dune Road, Long Board and Botanist. Members can sample all 11. Non-members can only sample the three that are released for purchase.

Dune Road: A lazy, cloudy, mellow beach/sea side scent. I picture a cloudy day on the beach. Walking along with cold bare feet, pants rolled up and a wind jacket blowing in the chilly, late fall breeze as I kick around sea shells in the wet sand. Someone mentioned 'cucumbers' in another review, and I can totally see that. I'll pick it apart over the coming days/weeks and see if I can post a review that's more coherent with regards to notes, progression, etc.

Long Board: Pretty standard beach scent to me. Opens with a sweet orange scent and then a little coconut and sunscreen. I only sampled this on paper. Not bad necessarily, but not what I'm looking for.

Botanist: A nice, fresh veggie kind of scent. I'm not sure what was going on. It disappeared from my skin in about 15min. My nose probably lost track of it due to other stronger scents being sampled (Heeley's Vetiver Veritas, which I purchased). I did not get a sample of this to take home but wish that I did!

I did get to smell a light spray of Moon Dust on paper but was not allowed to spray on skin. Very, very interesting. I'd buy it if convenient, but I won't spend time actively searching for it.

If you get a chance to sample these, I'd love to know what you think!

-Delly
    Last edited by Delly; 21st August 2014 at 07:53 PM. Reason: grammar

Moon Dust kind of rules.

Basenotes Member

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    Moon Dust kind of rules.
    Yeah, I've never smelled anything like it. I'd want to try on skin, but I have a feeling I'll purchase it one of these days.

Basenotes Institution

So members can smell 11 scents now, but can only buy three now?

How much are these Delly?

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by Delly View Post
    Yeah, I've never smelled anything like it. I'd want to try on skin, but I have a feeling I'll purchase it one of these days.
    I've worn it, and it wears pretty great. If you're into cement. Which I am.

Basenotes Member

So members can smell 11 scents now, but can only buy three now?

How much are these Delly?

Hey mikeperez23,

I'm not 100% sure about the membership smell-now vs. purchase-now part of things. Perhaps another BN'er would know better?

I paid $195/75ml for Dune Road. I didn't ask if this pricing would be consistent across the whole line.

-Delly
    Last edited by Delly; 21st August 2014 at 10:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Delly View Post
    Hey mikeperez23,

I'm not 100% sure about the membership smell-now vs. purchase-now part of things. Perhaps another BN'er would know better?

I paid $195/75ml for Dune Road. I didn't ask if this pricing would be consistent across the whole line.

-Delly
    They're taking the line to Pitti in September (the 12th, I think) to show to some euro distributors and then there should be a much wider availability to follow. The prices should be consistent (although I thought it was a little less than that for 75ml) and there will also be a 15ml size available.

I'm curious as to why some have escaped the vault already though? I personally didn't find The Botanist to be very appealing, and Long Board was just a big tuberose. Onsen is the big seller (it's probably the safest and easiest to wear, too) whereas Moon Dust seems to garner the least interest (which seems consistent with taste trends as it's quite avante-garde as opposed to crowd-pleasing Onsen). The fact that Longboard and Botanist are being shown publicly is curious as I don't feel like they highlight the line, but perhaps this is a way to give them a push?

Basenotes Member

You're right, deadidol. Double checked my receipt and it was $180/75ml.

Basenotes Institution

Awesome that there will be 15 ml sizes available!

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle