Code of Conduct

Default SOTD, Monday 11th August, 2014.

Hello fellow Basenoters!

Well we seem to have missed most of
    what Hurricane Bertha was threatening to throw at us -
    just a bit of heavy rain and a few leaves on the lawn.

It's a Roma kind of day! Definitely one of my most treasured
    scents. Enjoy your day.
    A woman without perfume is like a flower without a scent.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: SOTD, Monday 11th August, 2014.

Morning folks! In Bois 1920 Real Patchouly today.

“There is no exquisite beauty… without some strangeness in the proportion.”
    ― Edgar Allan Poe

hello all,

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,Halston Z-14, vintage (80s)

Good morning everyone Today I'm in Dior Addict. Just right for today

Blog Entries

Morning all!

Seville a l'Aube today.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Vintage Miss Dior EDT

Today i'm wearing Penhaligon's Malabah For Her

Hello all.

L'Occitane Notre Flore Cedre
    DONNA

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Hermès Rocabar today
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

It has cooled off here, so I am busting out the Chanel Bois des Iles, in EDT and parfum! I am excited to wear this, as it has been a while.

Issey Miyake Summer Edition 2009

Thumbs up Re: SOTD, Monday 11th August, 2014.

Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Sonoma Scent Studios Fireside Intense from a sample vial. Hope everyone has a wonderful week!

Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project.

*** NEW Lavhim (Lavender, Incense, Candle Wax, Clove, Fir Needles, Cognac & Green Leaves)*** / Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.)

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Sonoma Scent Studios Fireside Intense from a sample vial. Hope everyone has a wonderful week!

How does this compare to Bois d'Ascese, Ryan? Be curious to know
    ― Edgar Allan Poe

Good morning, all!

I don't know why I am so lazy and I don't post, when I really want to... I did read all your posts though!

I took some days off from work, but I am not planing to go anywhere. It is hot here an it is going to get worse the next days...

I am wearing one of my favorites for summer,

Cuir d' Iris by Parfumerie Generale.

Both are entirely different scents IMO. Fireside Intense is more about castoreum and birch tar/cade which provides the fragrance with a strong leather component to compliment the cade/birch smoke; there's more of an underlying syrupy sweetness to FI as well and nice musk/wood dry down vs. the dirty oakmoss in Bois d'Ascese. The Goodsir should be named Fireside Intense IMO as it is definitely more of a realistic campfire scent and the Sonoma is more about leather, musks and smoke. Both are great, I prefer Bois d'Ascese.

Quote Originally Posted by ClaireV View Post
    How does this compare to Bois d'Ascese, Ryan? Be curious to know

*** NEW Lavhim (Lavender, Incense, Candle Wax, Clove, Fir Needles, Cognac & Green Leaves)*** / Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.)

Basenotes Plus

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Both are entirely different scents IMO. Fireside Intense is more about castoreum and birch tar/cade which provides the fragrance with a strong leather component to compliment the cade/birch smoke; there's more of an underlying syrupy sweetness to FI as well and nice musk/wood dry down vs. the dirty oakmoss in Bois d'Ascese. The Goodsir should be named Fireside Intense IMO as it is definitely more of a realistic campfire scent and the Sonoma is more about leather, musks and smoke. Both are great, I prefer Bois d'Ascese.
    Thanks, Ryan - I was testing Bois d'Ascese this weekend, that's why I was curious.
    ― Edgar Allan Poe

Basenotes Plus

Good afternoon all !. Kewart, we also got off pretty lightly here with nothing more than a fresh breeze and a few torrential downpours. Others were not so fortunate - a colleague travelled all the way down to Bristol for the balloon festival (which ended up being cancelled) and friends in the Isles of Scilly had minor structural damage and flooding due to the gales and high tides there.

Kicking things off this week with a citrus fix .....

Best wishes to everyone for the week ahead.
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 11th August 2014 at 02:31 PM.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

I see from yesterday's SotD thread that Two Roads has passed away. Truly sad news. It's a loss for humanity when someone kind leaves our midst.

Best wishes for our Kingdom kin mopping up after Bertha.
    Marni for a gray Monday.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

Good morning! Hope you guys had a great weekend.

I'm wearing Malle Eau de Magnolia for the second day in a row from a sample. I had a friend sniff it yesterday and he really liked it as well. I will probably get a decant when my sample is gone as I am really enjoying it; it's the first magnolia I've tried and I there are a handful I'd like to try.

Ryan, it is too weird that your shrew came back the day after I found the bat!

I am having some nerves today over a big decision (not work or move-related). It's something I want to pull the trigger on now, before I change my mind, but it's a scary decision and part of me thinks I'm crazy for doing it, so there's part of me that says I should wait and think about it some more, but I hate the feeling of indecision. Hopefully once I finalize it I will feel better.
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart. ~ Helen Keller

Basenotes Plus

Hello everyone. Kewart and Jon, very glad and relieved you were ok through the hurricane. Thought for those who did not fare as well.

Henri Bendel Wild Fig for me today.

Wish you all a good start to your week.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Hopefully everything goes well for you Erin, BTW I was able to extract the shrew alive...again. I don't know why they keep gnawing through the screen and even the tape I had to put over the holes they chewed through.... I've since covered the window well where there were spaces. Hopefully that will help.

O Des Soupirs by LM Parfums

Last edited by hednic; 11th August 2014 at 03:15 PM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Institution

Glad to hear that everyone here made it safely through that hurricane that passed through - those can be so scary.
    Ryan - WTH with the creepy crawler?
    ErinK - indecision can be difficult, try to just 'do your best' & be okay with that

A sample (from a BN buddy) of:

Murasaki Eau de Parfum by Shiseido

Nice, reminds me of this 'spa spray' that I bought at a holistic store a couple months ago. Light, easy-to-wear, slightly floral.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Blog Entries

Good morning, all....glad to know our UK friends didn't have a lot of damage from Bertha.

I'm a bit on tenterhooks today as the potential buyer of my mother's house will be seeing it in half an hour with my agent.

I needed a calming scent and settled on a dab of lavender essential oil.
    Last edited by 30 Roses; 11th August 2014 at 03:41 PM.

I was originally planning on seeing Jujy54 in NY this week, but other things have come up, work being the main one. So I'm wearing Mayotte today because it was one of the first real perfumes she introduced me to when we met on an Amtrak train when I was 17. I loved it then, still love it now. Hope she has a safe and enjoyable trip.
    "I guess it's like most dreams, people work hard for them, they take time, When you arrive you aren't sure if it's what you expected. Hopefully it's better, but I guess that is why people dream and choose to chase them" ~anonymous.

"You’re buying stars to shut out the light. We come alone and alone we die And no matter how hard you try I’ll always belong in the sky" ~ Marina and The Diamonds

Good morning and best to all. I unplugged last night and finished the wonderful Cloud Atlas. This morning I'm wearing Le Labo Iris 39. I don't even like iris fragrances as a rule (sorry!) but this one joins No. 19 as an exception. It seems particularly lively, sparkly and interesting today.

You know, Rynegne, that little guy is kind of cute. Not that I'd want him trying to get in my house.

Basenotes Plus

SotE - Invasion Barbare.

Keeping fingers crossed for you, 30R

Erin, do let us know what happens - I'm sure you will make the right choice
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 11th August 2014 at 05:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mocha View Post
    Good morning and best to all. I unplugged last night and finished the wonderful Cloud Atlas. This morning I'm wearing Le Labo Iris 39. I don't even like iris fragrances as a rule (sorry!) but this one joins No. 19 as an exception. It seems particularly lively, sparkly and interesting today.
    Mocha, I am so opposite you on this one. I love iris fragrances...with the exception of Iris 39, which I didn't fall for. And while I LOVE No.19, I don't think of it as an iris. (I know many people get lots of iris in it....but I don't, or at least not what I think of as iris.) I think I like my irises soft, grey and funereal (as Luca Turin would say) and not lively and sparkling. You might also like No.18 - have you tried it? It sort of falls in the sparkly iris camp.

Thank you Mike, Jon, and Ryan. I am still waffling and doing last minute research, and about to drive myself crazy.
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart. ~ Helen Keller

Wearing Keiko Mecheri Loukhoum

Blog Entries

Thanks, Jon!

The buyer is going to be meeting again with the agent in a couple of hours to prepare their offer: full price, cash, as-is, no contingencies, closing at the end of August! Because it was I who brought the buyer to the agent, she offered to lower her commission as well. I won't turn cartwheels until the contract is signed but may I just say, WOO HOO!

30 Roses, WOW, congrats!!! That is about the best offer possible! And lowering her commission? You just couldn't have asked for a better outcome. Crossing my fingers for you that this works out!

Blog Entries

I know, Erin-- I'm pretty excited!

Erin, that is so interesting. I can see why if one likes iris one would not like Iris 39. And you've put your finger on my issue with iris-centered fragrances: they do feel funereal to me. So I only like the ones that aren't very iris, either because they subsume the iris into something grander (like No. 19) or by because they focus on other aspects of iris-ness. One's has to know one's limitations.

I used to like 28 La Pausa until I made the mistake of wearing it to the funeral mass of a close friend's mother. Instead of being soothing, it increased my upset, and I don't think I'll ever dissociate that feeling from that fragrance. Unfortunately.

I have tried No. 18 a few times, and I like it. As you suspect, it doesn't give me the "sad iris" feeling. Speaking of Luca Turin, didn't he call No. 18 "strange and bare"? Or something similar. I may be misremembering the exact words, but I remember that his review of No. 18 hit the nail on the head for me.

Aren't we lucky to have so many amazing fragrances, though? I love the variety, and I definitely admire ones like Iris Silver Mist or 28 La Pausa, even if they don't work for me.

SOTE
    vintage (90s) EDT

Not wearing anything right now. I'm just feeling very lazy today. Just updated the synch list to show the next one up. It is easy and I'm glad because I need an easy one. "Your Favorite Summer Scent" is this Friday.

The Friday after that is hard.

Easyfish you've made me lonely for Opium. I never think of it as a summer scent but right now the weather has cooled down and I even have a sweater on. I'll be twins with you today and go put it on.
    Betsy
    Items in my wardrobe not in the fragrance directory:
    Exhilarators (Elizabeth Arden Bath and Body Spa from 1980's - no relation to Sun Flowers )
    Chanel No. 5 Voile

Blog Entries

Jon; beautiful pic today!

Erin, l hope you can come to a reasoned decision. Research sounds like a good idea.

Roses, that's great news, fingers crossed here that it all comes together for you.

We've had more torrential rain & stiff breezes here today, interspersed with bright sunshine. A shades & brolly day.
    l'm in L'Heure Bleue this evening.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

L'Homme by YSL

What interesting iris talk today! Mocha, is it amazing how scent memories stay with us. I actually avoid fragrances sometimes in an attempt to prevent them from crystallizing!

Ryan, that pesky little visitor of yours is sooooooooo cute!!! I would like to snuggle that wee sleekit cowrin’ tim'rous beastie, (to borrow from Bobby Burns) but I’m sure it wouldn’t appreciate my love… lol!

30R, congrats on the offer! Home sales can really be a pain now with the market as it is, so it is nice that you didn’t have to wait and wait, but it sounds like the buyer is an investor- you might be able to counter higher!

After a brutal weekend attending unwanted surprises out of town, I say TGIMonday! Twinned with Quarry in Marni for my SOTD; this lovely fragrance and thinking fondly of someone very dear has added an immeasurable sweetness to my day!

Hope everyone has a great evening!
    There are always flowers for those who want to see them.
    ~ Henri Matisse

Sampling MDCI Cuir Garamante and Nuit Andalouse.. much prefer Nuit Andalouse.

Blog Entries

We have a signed contract!

Now to the closing... in a hurry!

Great news, 30 Roses!!! It is so nice when it all works smoothly! You deserve a little smooth about right now

Grabbed a sample that I have been working on for a year or so, but it seemed right for this cool summer evening. Wearing Penhaligon's Elixir, and it's subtle spices are smelling wonderful this evening - a nice light oriental.

Blog Entries

Thanks cello!

Hubby went out to return the Redbox DVD and library videos and books due today; I've been a slave to my fax machine and computer.
    Now to figure out what to feed them for supper!

Hmmm..bacon is always nice....

happy is the bleu heart<3

I'm wearing Back To Black today.

30 Roses, great news about the sale of the house! Will keep my fingers crossed for you ...

Erin, Here's a quote I like (not sure who wrote this!): "Making a big life change is scary. But know what's even scarier? Regret." Good luck with the decision.

btw, I absolutely HATE my new dishwasher. I'm trying to work on taking it back, but I'm getting jacked around by the store.
    I've trademarked the color bleu

Blog Entries

Oh, no shades! It may be time to go a bit higher up with your complaint. You've only had the dishwasher a few days, so it has to be able to go back.