Code of Conduct

Default Article about styrene

This article was mentioned on MUA this morning and I thought it may also be of interest to BNers.

http://www.ewg.org/enviroblog/2014/0...n-cause-cancer

It discusses styrene, an ingredient used in things like foam cups and perfume. The article references a National Academy of Sciences report last month that supposedly indicates styrene is a carcinogenic.
    Last edited by socalwoman; 11th August 2014 at 04:47 PM.

Default Re: Article about styrene

Thanks for the info.

Had read about a similar finding in another source. Alarming.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Yikes. Thanks for letting us know.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

This Wall Street Journal article indicates there is plausible opposition to the possibility small exposure events to styrene can cause human cancers:

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...09690674342508
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

Quote Originally Posted by kbe View Post
    This Wall Street Journal article indicates there is plausible opposition to the possibility small exposure events to styrene can cause human cancers:

http://online.wsj.com/news/articles/...09690674342508
    I wish I could read it, but I'm not a WSJ subscriber so it won't let me. I see it was published in November, prior to the study published July 12 by The National Academies Press. I'll post their press release below:

News from the National Academies

Styrene Reasonably Anticipated to Be a Human Carcinogen, New Report Confirms

A new report from the National Research Council has upheld the listing of styrene as “reasonably anticipated to be a human carcinogen” in the National Toxicology Program’s 12th Report on Carcinogens (RoC). The committee that wrote the report found that the listing is supported by “limited but credible” evidence of carcinogenicity in human studies, “sufficient” evidence from animal studies, and “convincing relevant information” in mechanistic studies that observed DNA damage in human cells that had been exposed to styrene. The committee reached the same conclusion after conducting both a peer review of the RoC and an independent assessment of the styrene literature.

The NTP is an interagency program that produces the RoC. Styrene is a substance of interest for the RoC because many people in the United States are exposed. It is an oily, colorless to yellow liquid and it is found in many consumer products such as plastic packaging, food containers, and household goods. Sources of environmental exposure include cigarette smoke and vehicle exhaust. Occupational exposure can occur during the industrial processing of styrene.

Based on RoC listing criteria, a substance can be classified as reasonably anticipated to be a human carcinogen based on sufficient evidence in animals or limited evidence in human studies. In its peer review of the 12th RoC, the committee examined the primary literature cited in the document as well as other research published before June 10, 2011, and found that the RoC identified the most important studies and described the limitations and strengths of each, and that the arguments supported listing styrene as reasonably anticipated to be a human carcinogen.

In its independent assessment, the committee considered additional research published through Nov. 13, 2013. It found that “compelling evidence” exists in human, animal, and mechanistic studies to support listing styrene, at a minimum, as reasonably anticipated to be a human carcinogen.

The committee noted, however, that there was ambiguity with respect to weighing the mechanistic evidence when applying the listing criteria, and that a strong argument could be made to support the listing of styrene as a known human carcinogen if data derived from the study of human tissues or cells alone were considered sufficient. Further clarification and expanded guidance by the National Toxicology Program regarding the types and strength of mechanistic evidence and how it is used in the context of the RoC listing criteria is needed, the report says.

DETAILS:

Review of the Styrene Assessment in the National Toxicology Program 12th Report on Carcinogens is available for immediate release at http://www.nap.edu/catalog.php?record_id=18725. Media inquiries should be directed to the Office of News and Public Information; tel. 202-334-2138 or e-mail news@nas.edu.

I have lots of questions. What would my favorite scents smell like if they were reissued without styrene? What will IFRA and EU do about it? What are "safe" levels and how is that best determined? Was I causing more harm to myself than I thought when I ate take-out food from the local hole-in-the-wall that has those delicious burritos?

Another ill informed article full of half truths designed to cause panic amongst the gullible. As it is quite clear that the author of this article knows little of the subject I shall ignore it.

Wow, if I live to be 1,000 years old I think this will begin to frighten me! LOL.

Basenotes Member

The article goes from “reasonably anticipated to be a human carcinogen” to “compelling evidence”.

It then goes on to say this: "The committee noted, however, that there was ambiguity with respect to weighing the mechanistic evidence when applying the listing criteria".

Bahhh!!!