Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default New Slumberhouse Fragrance: Sådanne

Hey all,

A new Slumberhouse scent, Sådanne, will be available this weekend through Alder+Co with wider distribution to follow. This one's more aligned to Pear+Olive or Eki, so think lighter and brighter rather than heavier and challenging. More details to come soon, but I wanted to at least give a heads-up to anyone interested in the line.

Cheers!

Default Re: New Slumberhouse Fragrance: Sådanne

Interesting news, thank you deadidol!
    Directory contribution link:-
    http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php

Basenotes Plus

Pronounced "sardinae."

Thanks for the info on the name and such.

Hopefully Anne cheers up soon.

Interesting, I'm excited to see the note profile of this one...
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project.

*** NEW Lavhim (Lavender, Incense, Candle Wax, Clove, Fir Needles, Cognac & Green Leaves)*** / Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.)

Basenotes Plus

white wine, rose, strawberry, ambergris, and others.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post

Definitely doesn't fit the bill of the typical Slumberhouse; but I would expect it to be super weird, thought-provoking and intriguing like all of the other creations while using the finest materials.

Quote Originally Posted by juanderer View Post

*** NEW Lavhim (Lavender, Incense, Candle Wax, Clove, Fir Needles, Cognac & Green Leaves)*** / Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.)

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    Ha!

In my head, I pronounced it very close to Zidane. As in the great Zinedine Zidane.

nose perking up!
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

Just to avoid a potential snowball effect, there's no official note listing for this one
    Nice-sounding combo though, Juanderer!

i hope this list is not true
    offsite sales: http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=301

current top 4 houses, random order: Vero Profumo, Slumberhouse, MFK, Roja Dove

favourite categories: oriental semi-gourmands, ouds, vetivers

i wonder if this scent will reach parfum1... not sure Zahd ever did

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Mocha View Post
    Ha!

In my head, I pronounced it very close to Zidane. As in the great Zinedine Zidane.
    That would be one heady fragrance.
    Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    Just to avoid a potential snowball effect, there's no official note listing for this one
    Nice-sounding combo though, Juanderer!
    That's my note wishlist.

That's my note wishlist.

I'm sure you could add a few more things!

Basenotes Plus

Royal pineapple and children's tears.

I told Josh I would not "spill the beans" on this release, but now that it is mentioned...
    Josh told me he was sending me a sample and I should have it in a day or two since I live so close. I will report my amateur impresions when I get it.
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Man, I really need to talk to Josh again...he hasn't really been responding to my emails.

Anyway, this sounds cool (name wise) and will almost definitely be a buy for me (blind)....unless I can manage to get a sample soon :P.
    Last edited by OctaVariuM; 11th August 2014 at 09:47 PM.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

That would be one heady fragrance.
    He was provoked.

A new Slumberhouse is always so interesting.

Yes! Looking forward to it!

From the Slumberhouse website ... and it seems as if he has several of his standard fragrances back in stock, all at a new pricepoint of $160. No mention of bottle sizes.

SÅDANNE
    *Ships in late August
    Stained glass syrup
    Serenades in damascone minor
    Allegory obscured / pastel wound
    A slurry of subtlety
    note list unavailable

Quote Originally Posted by naylor View Post
    No mention of bottle sizes.
    The bottles are 30ml. It's essentially the bottle that was developed for Zahd with some further tweaks and a custom box.

Is this an extrait, or an EdP?

To a Scandinavian that name looks odd for a fragrance, as it means "like that" or "the thing I mentioned earlier". I guess it was picked to look cool and unusual without really knowing the meaning of the word.
    "The cure for boredom is curiosity.
    There is no cure for curiosity."
    - Dorothy Parker

Quote Originally Posted by furrypine View Post
    To a Scandinavian that name looks odd for a fragrance, as it means "like that" or "the thing I mentioned earlier". I guess it was picked to look cool and unusual without really knowing the meaning of the word.
    Knowing Josh it was probably intentional. Not sure of what intention exactly, but I doubt he randomly picked a foreign word. That being said none of his other works have names that mean anything literal (outside of P+O I guess).

When did he raise prices again? I remember Zahd being more expensive but I thought that was due to the ingredients. Now it seems the new one is also $160 instead of like $125 like before .

I'd wager a guess that it's the new bottles and box. Honestly I think I'd rather have my $35 instead of the new bottles if that's the case.
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

Is that $160 for 30 ml?
    Directory contribution link:-
    http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php

Quote Originally Posted by james1051 View Post
    Is this an extrait, or an EdP?
    Obviously there's a concentration involved, but there's also a bit of a push to move away from labeling things in such a manner. Ideally, the scent would be designed with its performance well-considered, but once people start to sample this, you'll have a better sense of what to expect. In other words, some scents will be designed with a closer, more intimate wear in mind whereas other might radiate a little more. Does that make sense? I'm not sure I'm being clear.
    Quote Originally Posted by furrypine View Post
    I think the meaning is generally known, but the names are also chosen to minimize imposed narratives and to allow the reading to imprint his/her own interpretation onto the scent. It's a pretty specific strategy.
    Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    Knowing Josh it was probably intentional. Not sure of what intention exactly, but I doubt he randomly picked a foreign word. That being said none of his other works have names that mean anything literal (outside of P+O I guess).

When did he raise prices again? I remember Zahd being more expensive but I thought that was due to the ingredients. Now it seems the new one is also $160 instead of like $125 like before .

I'd wager a guess that it's the new bottles and box. Honestly I think I'd rather have my $35 instead of the new bottles if that's the case.
    For the materials involved, the prices have always been suspiciously low and the profit margin is even lower. Compare 30ml of Slumberhouse to other indies / small brands such as Matriarch / Aftelier / Bogue etc. and you'll get the picture. But yes, having custom / professional packaging as opposed to the off-the-shelf bottle of the past (that bottle is used by a ton of lines) is certainly more expensive. When someone takes pride in what they do, they certainly have the right to present their work in a way that they see fit or that puts them onto the same playing field as others. Sadly, for indie operations that aren't privately funded, such expenses are unavoidable without losing money.
    Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Is that $160 for 30 ml?
    Yup!

Basenotes Plus

Pastel wound will do in lieu of children's tears.
    Obviously there's a concentration involved, but there's also a bit of a push to move away from labeling things in such a manner. Ideally, the scent would be designed with its performance well-considered, [...]
    Yes! I love this approach. I feel that people (me included) tend to get too hung up on the concentration of a fragrance and adjust their expectations accordingly. The composition is the composition as the perfumer envisions it (especially for artisanal brands), and that's all that should matter in a work - we either agree with the vision for that particular piece of work, as consumers, or we don't.

Obviously there's a concentration involved, but there's also a bit of a push to move away from labeling things in such a manner. Ideally, the scent would be designed with its performance well-considered, but once people start to sample this, you'll have a better sense of what to expect. In other words, some scents will be designed with a closer, more intimate wear in mind whereas other might radiate a little more. Does that make sense? I'm not sure I'm being clear.

I think the meaning is generally known, but the names are also chosen to minimize imposed narratives and to allow the reading to imprint his/her own interpretation onto the scent. It's a pretty specific strategy.

For the materials involved, the prices have always been suspiciously low and the profit margin is even lower. Compare 30ml of Slumberhouse to other indies / small brands such as Matriarch / Aftelier / Bogue etc. and you'll get the picture. But yes, having custom / professional packaging as opposed to the off-the-shelf bottle of the past (that bottle is used by a ton of lines) is certainly more expensive. When someone takes pride in what they do, they certainly have the right to present their work in a way that they see fit or that puts them onto the same playing field as others. Sadly, for indie operations that aren't privately funded, such expenses are unavoidable without losing money.

Yup!
    I mean, I understand the reasoning behind it, but it just kind of sucks is all. Slumberhouse used to be by far and away my best bang for buck. I mean, $100 for 30mL of extrait (50mL at one time) was nuts. Naturally it should have been more, and now it is, but when we start getting into these price points it gets harder for me to swing purchasing every bottle as a college kid with essentially no income.

As stupid as it sounds complaining over a small increase, it is enough for me not to just blind buy this. I'll have to get a sample and see if it is worth saving up for.

Basenotes Plus

I mean, I understand the reasoning behind it, but it just kind of sucks is all. Slumberhouse used to be by far and away my best bang for buck. I mean, $100 for 30mL of extrait (50mL at one time) was nuts. Naturally it should have been more, and now it is, but when we start getting into these price points it gets harder for me to swing purchasing every bottle as a college kid with essentially no income.

As stupid as it sounds complaining over a small increase, it is enough for me not to just blind buy this. I'll have to get a sample and see if it is worth saving up for.
    The operative phrase there is "was nuts." It's just not so nuts of a deal anymore. I wish I'd been lucky enough to have been aware of Slumberhouse back in the good ole days and had snagged some of those relative cheapies that are no more (especially Baque and Kote).

It's not stupid to be concerned about a price increase, but I'd rather see a price increase that I can clearly see the reasoning for, and not an arbitrary one as some of the luxury brands out there like to hit their customers with.

I know I'll get use out of the reduced footprint of the bottles. If a better profit margin enables Josh to acquire even better/rarer raw materials to work with, all the best.

The operative phrase there is "was nuts." It's just not so nuts of a deal anymore. I wish I'd been lucky enough to have been aware of Slumberhouse back in the good ole days and had snagged some of those relative cheapies that are no more (especially Baque and Kote).

It's not stupid to be concerned about a price increase, but I'd rather see a price increase that I can clearly see the reasoning for, and not an arbitrary one as some of the luxury brands out there like to hit their customers with.

I know I'll get use out of the reduced footprint of the bottles. If a better profit margin enables Josh to acquire even better/rarer raw materials to work with, all the best.
    Yeah, I definitely agree with what you are saying, and I don't mean to come off as negative towards Josh or this decision. I agree that I would rather see a noticeable quality upgrade in the product (new bottle and an actual box) for my money than a company (especially in the luxury market) just deciding to jack up the price and never seeing where my money went (probably lining the pockets of the company).

Honestly, I've always said since I first bought a bottle of Slumberhouse a few years back that I would support any sort of price increase he made as long as the quality never suffered and it was still affordable to me. Right now at least, it currently isn't super affordable, but I do understand the reasoning behind the pricing change.

I think what got into my initial comment was a bit of shock. I knew Zahd was more expensive because of the materials and the limited quantity, so seeing a new release also being priced the same was a bit confusing.

Zahd was also more expensive because of the custom bottle though. While the materials in that were certainly pricey, he's not raising prices to increase material quality further (that would be impossible), rather this allows him to produce and present a product in a fashion that represents overall quality without losing money out of his own pocket. Sova is the best example in that it was outlandishly expensive to produce and simply wasn't sustainable at such low prices. With Zahd, you didn't pay more because it was limited, you paid more to get the new bottle with materials that mapped onto the expense of other items already in the line. Trust me, it's not like this price increase is in effect so he can buy a new Bentley--it's so that he can improve on what he's been producing so far without going broke in the process.

!
    I see. I asked because I really like the way the 2013 extraits wore. Hope that he isn't moving away from that. But, we shall see.

this will probably be offered on the split board this weekend.... 5ml will do for me.... and this is before even knowing what it is about

Quote Originally Posted by james1051 View Post
    I see. I asked because I really like the way the 2013 extraits wore. Hope that he isn't moving away from that. But, we shall see.
    It might be worth noting that Minne (Pear and Olive) is going to be brought back toward the more esprit de parfum version, so while that is only one instance, it is at least intriguing.

It might be worth noting that Minne (Pear and Olive) is going to be brought back toward the more esprit de parfum version, so while that is only one instance, it is at least intriguing.
    It's called P+O again though -- Minne was ditched as the name. It's more in-line with the original formula now. More boozy, far less sweet, less coconut-y.

I remember the original was heavier on the olive with a funky/boozy pear note that weaved in and out - assuming this is the version that's soon to be re-released? This was a 15ml etched bottle, I think I got it at perfume1 back in the day.

It's called P+O again though -- Minne was ditched as the name. It's more in-line with the original formula now. More boozy, far less sweet, less coconut-y.

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    I remember the original was heavier on the olive with a funky/boozy pear note that weaved in and out - assuming this is the version that's soon to be re-released? This was a 15ml etched bottle, I think I got it at perfume1 back in the day.
    Bingo!

Basenotes Plus

Minne was ditched as the name.
    Yeah. That Minyea-en-inyea pronunciation was a bit tricky. Oear + Olive is much easier.

Josh just posted this on Twitter for those who didn't see:

Back to the etched glass, instead of the sticker, eh? I like...

I still find SH still pretty reasonably priced at $160. Nasomatto's 30mls are $185.

Not much info about this one, but it intrigues me! I really liked Eki, but hate P&O. P&O is very heavy and cloying to me, Eki was light and easy to wear. Is this one more in line with Eki or P&O?

Edit: Nice pic Octavarium! I see the etching is back!

Here it is with a filter so you can see the etch / emboss / texture a little more.

Screen Shot 2014-08-13 at 5.48.37 PM.jpg

Am I reading this wrong, or did prices go from $125 to $160, because that's 28%. Just a little thrown because someone said the increase was small.

Default New Slumberhouse Fragrance: Sådanne

$125 was for the old, generic bottles. Zahd was the first to feature the custom-made bottle (last year) and it went for $150.
    Last edited by deadidol; 14th August 2014 at 01:46 AM.

Great news!

Can't wait to see what this is like...

ah, then perhaps only $10, less than 7%

what?

That bottle looks amazing.
    Current Faves:
    Clive Christian X
    Xerjoff Kobe
    Xerjoff Richwood
    Xerjoff Casamorati 1888
    Frederic Malle Carnal Flower
    Creed Aventus
    Creed Royal
    Bruckner Aoud 1
    Naomi Goodsir Or du Soreil
    Chanel bois des Iles

Quote Originally Posted by stuigi View Post
    what?
    The change from 150 to 160.

Zahd, the last release, to Sadanne the newest release.

Did nobody notice how these two lists relate?

SÅDANNE
    *Ships in late August
    Stained glass syrup
    Serenades in damascone minor
    Allegory obscured / pastel wound
    A slurry of subtlety
    note list unavailable

Basenotes Institution

The new bottle is gorgeous!

Look forward to sampling this one. Right now I am happy-as-ever with my bottles of Vikt and Norne.
    "The beginning of freedom is the realization that you are not the "thinker." The moment you start watching the thinker, a higher level of consciousness becomes activated. You then begin to realize that there is a vast realm of intelligence beyond thought, that thought is only a tiny aspect of that intelligence. You also realize that all the things that truly matter - beauty, love, creativity, joy, inner peace - arise from beyond the mind.

You begin to awaken"

-- Eckhart Tolle

my prediction came true.... palmbeach is offering a split... i am the first one on.

Cool. Thanks for the info.

btw, the juice looks lighter and transparent, unlike the last offerings..... does this mean less substance used?

Not necessarily, the materials he used could be lighter - I'm not 100% sure since we don't know the note profile. But, the other stuff Josh's created in the past has had a lot of darker oils: patchouli, labdanum, cade, myrrh, pine, moss etc. etc. Grev was "lighter & transparent" and that stuff was surely powerful...if not more powerful than the current Norne.

Quote Originally Posted by mspa View Post
    btw, the juice looks lighter and transparent, unlike the last offerings..... does this mean less substance used?
    Last edited by rynegne; 15th August 2014 at 06:35 PM.

this sounds promising!
    i am putting high expectations on.

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Not necessarily, the materials he used could be lighter - I'm not 100% sure since we don't know the note profile. But, the other stuff Josh's created has had a lot of darker oils: patchouli, labdanum, cade, myrrh, pine, moss etc. etc. Grev was "lighter & transparent" and that stuff was surely powerful...if not more powerful than the current Norne.

slumberhouse-poster.jpg
    You can see the color differences in the new product image. Just because sadanne is lighter really just signifies different materials. What's striking about this shot is that Norne—usually very dark green—is now a different color due to the use of absolutes that come from a different process.

Hey, deadidol ... do you know if these will continue to be available through parfum1, or if Josh has cut ties with that distributor? He doesn't have it listed on his website anymore, and they appear to be out of stock on all bottles currently.

Hey, deadidol ... do you know if these will continue to be available through parfum1, or if Josh has cut ties with that distributor? He doesn't have it listed on his website anymore, and they appear to be out of stock on all bottles currently.
    Well, parfum1 is Twisted Lily, and they're still available through the store. I'm not clear on how things are orchestrated between the two, though. Lucky Scent, Twisted Lily, Indie Scents, Roullier White (I feel like I'm missing someone here) are the current stockists.