Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: New Slumberhouse Fragrance: Sådanne

Parfum1 is Twisted Lily? Wow, you're right ... they're owned by the same people, now that I've done a search for the two names together. Interesting ... not sure why they need to have two separate websites.

Quote Originally Posted by naylor View Post
    Parfum1 is Twisted Lily? Wow, you're right ... they're owned by the same people, now that I've done a search for the two names together. Interesting ... not sure why they need to have two separate websites.
    They started as Parfum1—which was a bit more of a venue for slight discounts, coupons and promotions and whatnot. The brick and mortars seem to have a slightly more rigid approach to pricing and whatnot as some lines prefer to maintain more consistency in their pricing. The owners are great, BTW; genuine fragrance fans.

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    They started as Parfum1—which was a bit more of a venue for slight discounts, coupons and promotions and whatnot. The brick and mortars seem to have a slightly more rigid approach to pricing and whatnot as some lines prefer to maintain more consistency in their pricing. The owners are great, BTW; genuine fragrance fans.
    Yeah, I've had a lot of great experiences with parfum1, which is why I like to purchase through them quite often.

Attachment 30411
    You can see the color differences in the new product image. Just because sadanne is lighter really just signifies different materials. What's striking about this shot is that Norne—usually very dark green—is now a different color due to the use of absolutes that come from a different process.
    Looks like they're back to etched glass?

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Looks like they're back to etched glass?
    Yes, that was my first thought as well. I'm glad ... I liked the etched bottles much better than the Zahd sticker bottle.

Yes, that was my first thought as well. I'm glad ... I liked the etched bottles much better than the Zahd sticker bottle.
    It's a nice way to reflect on the progression of the line in that the etching is something most people are familiar with, but the handwritten name that'll be on the boxes is more of a nod to the early days.

It's a nice way to reflect on the progression of the line in that the etching is something most people are familiar with, but the handwritten name that'll be on the boxes is more of a nod to the early days.
    Wow, didn't realize the box was handwritten. Even better!

Yeah, I've had a lot of great experiences with parfum1, which is why I like to purchase through them quite often.
    Same here. No affiliation. Just lots of good will with that group.

Basenotes Institution

So what's the deal with Slumberhouse & Alder & Co? Is the scent being sold at the Alder & Co shop (in store?) only? Because I've perused their website like 4 times and I don't see Sadanne.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    So what's the deal with Slumberhouse & Alder & Co? Is the scent being sold at the Alder & Co shop (in store?) only? Because I've perused their website like 4 times and I don't see Sadanne.
    Same here, and was wondering the same thing...

Basenotes Plus

They don't sell Slumberhouse via their website. You may call them, however. They are very friendly.

Alder & Co. is a very small boutique that sells just a couple of brands of perfumes, mostly other kitch. It is only a mile or so from where Josh lives so he is, I suspect, introducing the fragrance there first. It is a very small hole in the wall shop and web sales are not their primary goal.
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Quote Originally Posted by Akahina View Post
    Alder & Co. is a very small boutique that sells just a couple of brands of perfumes, mostly other kitch. It is only a mile or so from where Josh lives so he is, I suspect, introducing the fragrance there first. It is a very small hole in the wall shop and web sales are not their primary goal.
    I've actually ordered online through them in the past & they are excellent people to deal with...

Default New Slumberhouse Fragrance: Sådanne

Alder+Co. will carry this exclusively for a few weeks (aside from the Slumberhouse webstore), but Sådanne's going through the final filtration right now, so it might be a couple more days before the bottles show up there.
    Last edited by deadidol; 17th August 2014 at 02:27 AM.

i still have a hard time understading the becoming more and more common strategy to not reveal the notes of a new scent..... some poetic attempts instead...
    offsite sales: http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=301

current top 4 houses, random order: Vero Profumo, Slumberhouse, MFK, Roja Dove

favourite categories: oriental semi-gourmands, ouds, vetivers

I stopped by Alder & Co today to pick up Iris de Nuit. One of the associates said they will have Sadanne a few days from now on Tuesday, the 19th.

Luckily, I haven't found a slumberhouse that I like so I don't have to worry about these things. His stuff is just one huge basenote to me and I haven't found one that I enjoy.

Quote Originally Posted by mspa View Post
    i still have a hard time understading the becoming more and more common strategy to not reveal the notes of a new scent..... some poetic attempts instead...
    It a paradox really: a perfumer's goal is to try and create something that is more than the sum of its parts, so to break it down to just its parts can feel like a step backwards. With that said, few would be willing to buy something without some initial clues / impressions, so the challenge becomes how do you represent the scent in a descriptive way without telling people what to think. One of the things Slumberhouse has always aimed to do is to minimize authorial presence, allowing the wearer to imprint meaning / narrative. That's why you don't see any cheesball names like "Passion" or "Guilty" or what have you, nor do you see images of the perfumer popping up in glossy ads with a snake draped around his neck.

PD Black did the whole "no notes" thing and it came off a tad pretentious to some. Plus, when people got their nose on it, the collective response was "yep, it's vetiver." If your goal is to transform the way a note is experienced—especially if its a note that you're not fond of yourself—then the emphasis on notes is once more problematic. Of course many of the notes listed in perfumes aren't actually there—or are serving other functions within the composition, so again, it's somewhat determined by goals. If you're creating the ultimate solinote rose, it might be in your favor to talk about the various ottos that were involved with some clues to what's modifying / shading. If you're trying to render rose in a manner that's un-rose-like, then listing the notes becomes moot.

Releasing a fragrance without a notes list is a problem, but even with a notes list (and getting an accurate one is harder than it seems), Slumberhouse scents are hard to interpret because of some of the goals outlined above.

I feel like I'm rambling . . .
    Last edited by deadidol; 17th August 2014 at 07:44 AM.

thanks for the great essay. i enjoy a lot reading your stuff always!

It a paradox really: a perfumer's goal is to try and create something that is more than the sum of its parts, so to break it down to just its parts can feel like a step backwards. With that said, few would be willing to buy something without some initial clues / impressions, so the challenge becomes how do you represent the scent in a descriptive way without telling people what to think. One of the things Slumberhouse has always aimed to do is to minimize authorial presence, allowing the wearer to imprint meaning / narrative. That's why you don't see any cheesball names like "Passion" or "Guilty" or what have you, nor do you see images of the perfumer popping up in glossy ads with a snake draped around his neck.

PD Black did the whole "no notes" thing and it came off a tad pretentious to some. Plus, when people got their nose on it, the collective response was "yep, it's vetiver." If your goal is to transform the way a note is experienced—especially if its a note that you're not fond of yourself—then the emphasis on notes is once more problematic. Of course many of the notes listed in perfumes aren't actually there—or are serving other functions within the composition, so again, it's somewhat determined by goals. If you're creating the ultimate solinote rose, it might be in your favor to talk about the various ottos that were involved with some clues to what's modifying / shading. If you're trying to render rose in a manner that's un-rose-like, then listing the notes becomes moot.

Releasing a fragrance without a notes list is a problem, but even with a notes list (and getting an accurate one is harder than it seems), Slumberhouse scents are hard to interpret because of some of the goals outlined above.

I feel like I'm rambling . . .

felt the same way first..... took me a while to get to appreciate it

Quote Originally Posted by elevation View Post
    Luckily, I haven't found a slumberhouse that I like so I don't have to worry about these things. His stuff is just one huge basenote to me and I haven't found one that I enjoy.

deadidol, have you tried the scent already?

Quote Originally Posted by mspa View Post
    deadidol, have you tried the scent already?
    I haven't! I'm with everyone else on this one. Usually, I'll try and give some objective thoughts ahead of time so that people have a rough sense of what they're getting into, but the circumstances of this one were a little different. Although I do know a little bit more about its goals, I really don't know what to expect scent-wise. I suspect it's going to be challenging—not in a stinky way (although one of the materials is quite indolic / animalic to me), but in a more aesthetic way. It's not all dark nostalgia and melodrama this time; instead, it's going to be sparkly and quite buoyant. Consequently, I'm both intrigued and nervous!

I will say that I have been able to smell P+O's return to it initial state and it's really impressive. I'll do a little write up on that soon, but I own a bottle of the last version (extrait?) and don't wear it much—I have it more as reference. The new version (which is very close to the first version he made) is a different experience for me, and I've been wearing it almost daily for the better part of a week. If Sådanne is anything like this (and it is thematically paired), it'll be impressive. We shall see!
    Last edited by deadidol; 17th August 2014 at 05:34 PM.

I haven't found a slumberhouse that I like
    Tried quite a few, but feel the same way.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I haven't! I'm with everyone else on this one. Usually, I'll try and give some objective thoughts ahead of time so that people have a rough sense of what they're getting into, but the circumstances of this one were a little different. Although I do know a little bit more about its goals, I really don't know what to expect scent-wise. I suspect it's going to be challenging—not in a stinky way (although one of the materials is quite indolic / animalic to me), but in a more aesthetic way. It's not all dark nostalgia and melodrama this time; instead, it's going to be sparkly and quite buoyant. Consequently, I'm both intrigued and nervous!

I will say that I have been able to smell P+O's return to it initial state and it's really impressive. I'll do a little write up on that soon, but I own a bottle of the last version (extrait?) and don't wear it much—I have it more as reference. The new version (which is very close to the first version he made) is a different experience for me, and I've been wearing it almost daily for the better part of a week. If Sådanne is anything like this (and it is thematically paired), it'll be impressive. We shall see!
    Mmm, I wore the heck of out of my little sample of the old P+O when I was at school last semester. It was definitely different from the extrait stuff, but I couldn't put my finger on why. I remember that sample helped me understand the white floral exhale that you can get even with the extrait, which made me appreciate its depth more (by comparison to some of his other work it initially felt a little tame, which is okay but unexpected). I'll have to get myself a sample of the newer version that he is coming out with and do the same, as I found that P+O is really the only scent from his line that I can get away with in a classroom setting (as a student...not sure as a teacher just yet).

As for the new stuff, I'm happy that this one might be more on the lighter side. I think that is something his line has lacked ever since Grev, which never really sat on my skin quite right. I liked it, but it was never something I longed to wear...might have been that odd minerally clove note in there (while I normally like clove, that threw me off) paired with the grassy green notes. Once again I'll be sure to sample the new stuff, and if it works on me, I'll buy it when I get the chance...hopefully I can get it for a discount from Twisted Lily or Indiescents (I always liked Parfum1 the most, but they seem to have migrated their stock over to Twisted Lily which doesn't have the same 20% off coupons).
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

excited about the new version of P-O too. good thing i did not buy the last, just had a vial.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Unless Josh packs up and moves his shop to Paris, you'll never find one that you like!

Quote Originally Posted by JiveHippo View Post
    Unless Josh packs up and moves his shop to Paris, you'll never find one that you like!
    Josh's issue is that his fragrances are "art for arts sake" and people buy it purely on the "hipster niche perfume" appeal the shop has. It's the craft-beer of perfumery - many interesting styles, but blind worship. Norne is, in my opinion, the only thing he's released that's worthy of being purchased except that when I tried sampling recently, the scent is just too dirty. If it were cleaner, and didn't use the same base Jeke did, I'd be all over it.

Juniper Ridge approaches Norne in a much better way. And I used to FANBOY Slumberhouse, but the new way he's marketing perfumes in the avant garde is a turn off.

Basenotes Plus

The username is accurate.

heslikeabrokenrecord

Quote Originally Posted by noideawhatimsaying View Post
    Josh's issue is that his fragrances are "art for arts sake" and people buy it purely on the "hipster niche perfume" appeal the shop has. It's the craft-beer of perfumery - many interesting styles, but blind worship. Norne is, in my opinion, the only thing he's released that's worthy of being purchased except that when I tried sampling recently, the scent is just too dirty. If it were cleaner, and didn't use the same base Jeke did, I'd be all over it.

Juniper Ridge approaches Norne in a much better way. And I used to FANBOY Slumberhouse, but the new way he's marketing perfumes in the avant garde is a turn off.
    I feel like you come in to every Slumberhouse related thread and say the same thing. We get it, the house isn't for you and you have delusions that people worship Josh, when in reality all we ever say is that he is a good guy and makes interesting scents.

Also, for what it's worth, I find Juniper Ridge unwearable. I don't know what it is, but something in the raw initial strength of their stuff is a massive turn off to me. To each their own.

I digress. I meant to ask in my other post but I spaced, deadidol, I think you mentioned that P+O and Sadanne are aesthetically paired. Do you mean in terms of style, or was that kind of information not really mentioned?
    Fragrance blog being actively updated weekly (hopefully)!: http://moteperfumery.blogspot.com/

Check out a fun little thread I made if you don't know what to wear today: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/384264-Pick-another-member-s-SOTD-(Game)

Quote Originally Posted by OctaVariuM View Post
    I feel like you come in to every Slumberhouse related thread and say the same thing. We get it, the house isn't for you and you have delusions that people worship Josh, when in reality all we ever say is that he is a good guy and makes interesting scents.

Also, for what it's worth, I find Juniper Ridge unwearable. I don't know what it is, but something in the raw initial strength of their stuff is a massive turn off to me. To each their own.
    Truth.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    They definitely aren't the pinnacle of perfumery and I haven't bought a bottle, but the last couple of times I've tried Norne and Sova I've really appreciated them being around. Whether I actually like them or not, the fragrances are interesting. They have the power to make me think, make my world a hair bigger, which is a hell of a lot more than I can say about Creed. I'm from Portland so I guess I should give the Slumberhouse fragrances some positive vibes. There's some talent there and I wish them the best.
    Last edited by pluran; 19th August 2014 at 01:24 AM.
    "You have to paint things black if you want to make future possibilities more vivid."
    - Michel Foucault

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    I understand. It's vaguely amusing to read the novella length reviews, though. :-) Tedious. Very tedious. And it usually tells me something isn't right.
    Thanks. I appreciate the comment.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Disappointed to see such hostile remarks made against Basenoters who take the time to contribute extensive, thoughtful reviews to the site (we saw this recently in another thread that WayOffScenter responded too with genuine concern). I guess we can always look to the sources of such complaints for better examples of how people should write reviews in a more satisfactory manner? Oh, wait . . .

Also såddened by the direction people have tried to take this thread, but again, that's somewhat expected. With that said, for those who are here to talk about the scent of the topic, I hope you enjoy it when you get your nose on it.

Basenotes Plus

Also Sådanned by the direction people have tried to take this thread[...]
    Fixed that for you.

I, for one, am looking forward to sampling this and decide whether a full bottle is in my future. The way it was described to me as something more in the vein of Eki with zigzags of stink underneath it made my ears and nose perk up. The bottle alone looks good enough to warrant a spot on my shelf, but looks aren't everything.
    Last edited by juanderer; 18th August 2014 at 03:51 PM.

Also såddened by the direction people have tried to take this thread, but again, that's somewhat expected. With that said, for those who are here to talk about the scent of the topic, I hope you enjoy it when you get your nose on it.
    Intentional lightening of the thread??

Good work

Does anyone know if and where samples will be made available? I'd like to try this but have a hard time paying $160 on a blind purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by juanderer View Post
    I, for one, am looking forward to sampling this and decide whether a full bottle is in my future.
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project.

*** NEW Lavhim (Lavender, Incense, Candle Wax, Clove, Fir Needles, Cognac & Green Leaves)*** / Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.)

Quote Originally Posted by rynegne View Post
    Does anyone know if and where samples will be made available? I'd like to try this but have a hard time paying $160 on a blind purchase.
    Same. Normally I would suggest contacting Josh, but from what he said in our last correspondence, he is swamped with emails. They might end up having samples available through his distributors, we will just have to wait and see.

Basenotes Plus

Luckyscent and Twisted Lily should have samples available once the official release happens (I hope).

Listen, I'd love to write a favorable review of his scents. I've had a total 180 on them. It's odd to me that unless you write favorable things you're perceived to be a bad individual. Isn't criticism the path to success at times? Isn't criticism similar to support, just on the opposite spectrum?

No perfumer is perfect. That's why we have reviews. If I take my review and put it on the Reviews section then we'd be good, no?

Default New Slumberhouse Fragrance: Sådanne

Quote Originally Posted by noideawhatimsaying View Post
    Listen, I'd love to write a favorable review of his scents. I've had a total 180 on them. It's odd to me that unless you write favorable things you're perceived to be a bad individual. Isn't criticism the path to success at times? Isn't criticism similar to support, just on the opposite spectrum?
    Criticism is necessary, welcomed, and appreciated on Basenotes, so I'm not sure where this sentiment comes from. Some of the "tedious, so very tedious" reviews as of late have proven to be exceptional critiques of these scents rather than "eww gross" dismissals or statements like "norne and jeke share the same base" (still chuckling over that one).

But given that the thread is about the new fragrance and not the rest of the line (plenty of other threads for that--one that's even dedicated to "eww gross" type analysis), perhaps it's best to try to focus on the new fragrance? With that said, do share your thoughts on the new one as you've clearly got lots to say about it. And let's maybe keep things on topic? I'm going to bow out of this thread from here on as (like WayOffScenter also noted) I tend to be a lightning rod for these kind of derailments whenever I attempt to share new info on lines
    Last edited by deadidol; 18th August 2014 at 05:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by juanderer View Post
    Luckyscent and Twisted Lily should have samples available once the official release happens (I hope).
    Right, and Parfum1 confirmed to me this morning that they are carrying the line still. Although their stocks are depleted at the moment, they are just waiting for the new things to arrive in a week or two. They (P1) are great about sample requests.

Basenotes Plus

Awesome. Thanks for sharing the info. Parfum1 is certainly great about sample requests, just like Twisted Lily, with the added bonus of discount events occurring more regularly than with Twisted.

Hoping that Indiescents will be stocking this as it's definitely on my 'to do' list.

Whoever samples it first - we're waiting for more info please
    Directory contribution link:-
    http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php

This one is lighter and brighter but something lurks in its core that is dark and deep. I get some sort of fruity accord...my first thought was blood orange but I am surely wrong. I am terrible at disecting notes so my thoughts are unimportant I suspect. There must be some sort of musc in this along with some fruit and something floral. Not at all feminine or masculine, wearable by anyone. This seems like a good summer scent. I hope others can disect this better than I can but this is surely a departure for Josh. Seems to have some classic perfume notes with a modern twist and just a hint of dark deepness that prevails in many Slumberhouse scents. After about 30 minutes I thought the scent had worn off, but I keep getting delicious whiffs. Love this one and can't wait to wear it more and learn what is going on.

I also sampled Pear + Olive in its new iteration. It seems to be more uplifting, the pear is more forward and the oily nature of the previous version is toned down a lot. It still smells like Pear + Olive, unmistakenly so, but is less heavy...not weaker but more boyient.

There is something very dirty that lurks in Saddane (sp?) That is burried in it. After a few hours it comes to the front and now after about 5 hours I don't smell it anymore. It dries down to something sweet and sort of waxy. This one is a chamelian. It changes a lot and seems to get stronger after about an hour. I am loving it. Alder & Co. now has it in stock.
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Basenotes Institution

Thanks Akahina for the review.

Is the blood orange tart and juicy? Sweet?

What types of florals? A white floral (tuberose, gardenia, orange blossom?)
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Cross posting this here so we keep the dedicated thread:

I got a sample in yesterday from a mysterious party. I'll post my initial thoughts below (right as I've sprayed it on and let it sit for about 10 minutes):

Well, I definitely get berries again, not unlike Zahd. I wonder if Josh has a new fascination that is gravitating away from the darker stuff? Anyway, the berry note is hard for me to pick out, but I'd lean toward cranberry again if I was poked, but it does have that almost raspberry citrusy vibe that blood oranges (I can only speak for "real life" blood oranges, as I have yet to smell a proper blood orange scent) often have. I also get some kind of alcohol style note in here. Nothing harsh, so I would venture to say something in the white wine territory. In fact, that was the second thing I noticed outside of the berries. There is something lurking in here that I can detect from a non-Zahd work of his as well. I think it is Vikt (the new extrait), but I cannot for the life of me put a pin in what exactly it is. Like my fellow fragrance fan above me, I'm not the best at identifying or dissecting notes, nor am I a particularly experienced person when it comes to fragrances in general.

That being said, I've tried almost all of Josh's library past and present, and I have to say this is definitely different. I think it draws on ideas from Zahd for sure, but I'll have to give it the full wearing (a few actually) before I offer any additional thoughts (I won't even say if I like it or not yet, it's still too early).

Other thoughts I shared in the other thread:

And for what it's worth, I agree with the weird thing...at least so far. Are you getting any of that VIkt-like thing I'm smelling or am I just crazy? I've tried to focus on it and I am damn near sure they share something.

In response to deadidol getting raisin instead of anything from Vikt:

Maybe that's what I'm getting then. I got that same feeling from Sana as well.

I wish I could say! I don't know what the floral quality comes from. Certainly not a white floral or gardenia. The floral feeling may very well come from an odd fruit accord that could be berries or blood orange or something not commonly used. I would say it is juicier, not tart for the most part. The most confusing part to me is that I don't know what the dirty part is. Maybe some kind of musc, but it does not seem to be civet or castorum. It lurks inside the scent for hours and then after 4 or 5 hours for me it comes out, but it does not project strongly, or as strong as the other notes. But put your nose down to where you sprayed and you get a strong dirty blast. Weird. Then that leaves and it becomes an almost waxy, slightly sweet dry down. I need to wear this one more to figure it out. Like Zahd, I have never smelled anything like this and it may contain things very uncommon in perfumery. It seems to me that there are few if any top notes, it grows after you put it on and goes through several changes.
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

The IFRA can bite me!

I was going to sit this thread out due to some of the comments that were emerging above, but I plan to spend the weekend with this one in order to get some thoughts together and I'll post them either here or as a review. I will say that this is not a safe blind buy—especially if you're a fan of what's come prior. There's a very different approach being engaged in this scent—one that addresses flickering sillage and the after-effects of a powerful opening. See how it performs after you think it's dropped away (which is does quite fast, you might notice). But for those curious about the florals / fruits etc., take a peek at at Juanderer's note wishlist from earlier in this thread And for those of you who maybe aren't sure about this one or simply aren't feeling it, the year's not over yet
    Last edited by deadidol; 22nd August 2014 at 05:09 PM.

I was going to sit this thread out due to some of the comments that were emerging above, but I plan to spend the weekend with this one in order to get some thoughts together and I'll post them either here or as a review. I will say that this is not a safe blind buy—especially if you're a fan of what's come prior. There's a very different approach being engaged in this scent—one that addresses flickering sillage and the after-effects of a powerful opening. See how it performs after you think it's dropped away (which is does quite fast, you might notice). But for those curious about the florals / fruits etc., take a peek at at Juanderer's note wishlist from earlier in this thread
    Yeah I was going to ask him if he was clairvoyant or something, because what he "wished" for was pretty much what I initially got. Not sure why you wanna sit this one out...unless you are....*ahem*...withholding information.

Ambergris. Could it be ambergris I am smelling in this? I am not sure I have ever smelled the real thing...hmmm...

Powerful opening? It did not perform that way for me but my perceptions might be wrong since I have only worn this once. On me the scent seemed to grow after about 15 minutes or so. I don't think I can say much more until I wear this one some more.

(I am so bad at identifying notes it is embarrasing!)
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

The IFRA can bite me!

Blog Entries

Criticism is necessary, welcomed, and appreciated on Basenotes, so I'm not sure where this sentiment comes from. Some of the "tedious, so very tedious" reviews as of late have proven to be exceptional critiques of these scents rather than "eww gross" dismissals or statements like "norne and jeke share the same base" (still chuckling over that one).

But given that the thread is about the new fragrance and not the rest of the line (plenty of other threads for that--one that's even dedicated to "eww gross" type analysis), perhaps it's best to try to focus on the new fragrance? With that said, do share your thoughts on the new one as you've clearly got lots to say about it. And let's maybe keep things on topic? I'm going to bow out of this thread from here on as (like WayOffScenter also noted) I tend to be a lightning rod for these kind of derailments whenever I attempt to share new info on lines
    I believe you are referring to my review in the 'Slumberhouse Redux' thread. I never said any such thing. I only quoted my husband's reaction to one scent when he objected to the odor, if you would kindly check. Once again, I'm sorry I don't care for these particular fragrances. Please don't mis-interpret my comments, however. Just because they are different from your impressions, I believe I have every right to disagree.

Well, I tried! I guess I'll have to quote myself again. Apologies for my bizarre lightning rod skillz! Hopefully people can discuss the topic, Sådanne from here on out. See ya!

I'm going to bow out of this thread from here on as (like WayOffScenter also noted) I tend to be a lightning rod for these kind of derailments whenever I attempt to share new info on lines

I have to wonder if the last two fragrances are a departure form the typical Slumberhouse scent in an effort to appeal more to women...?

Prior fragrances, although not marketed towards any specific gender have been rustic, somewhat austere and masculine-leaning for the uninitiated (although I know many women that like these notes - most are part of the fragrance community.)

Both Zahd and Sadanne incorporate the use of aromatic fruits and floral accords. Something that's opposite the resins, woods, amber and animalic notes typically used over the past few years. Wondering if Josh will depart from the fruity-floral in the future venture into another uncharted territory, creating something else that's off the wall for him...like an acquatic...fougere...leather...green...

Either way, it seems we're all in for some new envelope-pushing scents in the future.
    Madhat Scents - My personal limited run artisan perfume project.

*** NEW Lavhim (Lavender, Incense, Candle Wax, Clove, Fir Needles, Cognac & Green Leaves)*** / Jour et la Nuit (17/18th Century Style Chypre - Oakmoss/Resins/Musk/Vintage Civet Tincture.)

Basenotes Institution

Akahina sometimes beeswax and/or honey can smell animalic (and also waxy)...maybe that's what you're smelling?

-- Eckhart Tolle

Has this scent hit the interwebs yet? Or just and exclusive in Portland for now?

Basenotes Plus

I just spritzed it on a few (30ish) minutes ago. It opens tart and winey with green berries - not that this smells green, but the tartness of the berries brings to mind not-quite-ripe fruit. Shortly after the initial smell, a waxiness comes through that intermittently suggests an iris-like makeup note before settling. If you are a fan of lambics, you will thoroughly enjoy this.

There is an animalic tinge to it, but I feel that you have to look for it to really notice it with what's going on at the top with the more effervescent components. Again, this is going off the first 30 minutes of wearing it. More to come.

Quote Originally Posted by james1051 View Post
    Has this scent hit the interwebs yet? Or just and exclusive in Portland for now?
    It's available through Alder & Co's website. I placed my order on Tuesday and received it today. http://alderandcoshop.com/products/sadanne-perfume

whoever likes to more than try it, join me at palmbeach's split. i got the first 10ml spot, 2 more available to fill the split.

by the way i just clicked the link juanderer posted - i see norne, pear/olive and jeke come now in the same bottling as sadanne, and are priced the same - $160...
    does anybody now if this is the new encarnation of pear and olive? how about norne and jeke.... same as the beeds and pouch design, just the new bottle, or new formulations?
    Last edited by mspa; 23rd August 2014 at 08:53 PM.

Read post #105.
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

The IFRA can bite me!