Code of Conduct

Default In general, what would you wear to please others and what for yourself?

As we wear different fragrances for difference purposes, occasions, in fact, I believe it is for different people ( including yourself )

then, what would you wear to please others (male and female) in general? and what would you wear for yourself?

It can be difficult decide, so think about if you stay at home alone, what fragrance will you wear and what will you wear to go to a party?

Default Re: In general, what would you wear to please others and what for yourself?

Honestly I wear them because I love the ones I have and thankfully have decrease the huge collection I had : NOW I only wear the ones I love and occasionally will wear new ones that I like or am trying out of a decant but I always wear for myself point Blank ; I make no big fuzz about It if others admire them or not but since I have impeccable taste compliments follow Me every where I go.
    Last edited by magnus611; 13th August 2014 at 01:31 PM.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Default Re: In general, what would you wear to please others and what for yourself?

Call me Mr Selfish, but when I choose a fragrance, I am never motivated by the thought 'will others like this'?

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    Call me Mr Selfish, but when I choose a fragrance, I am never motivated by the thought 'will others like this'?

If I wanted to "blend in" I would wear Armani, Code; Armani, Aqua de Gio; JPG, Le Male; Ed Hardy, etc... I can smell these at bars/clubs when the masses overspray way too much, esp. Armani, Code. Then the masses tend to wear Aqua de Gio in the daytime. IMO it is funny bc some of my friends think they have ALL bases covered by 2 bottles (one for day, one for night).

But to each their own, for example, people at, lets say, a sneaker forum/ website where people discuss sneakers in depth. They also buy, sell, and trade. I bet they would scoff at the fact that I own 4 pairs of shoes. One shoe for every occasion, lol. I guess when you turn the tables, it is our turn to be the subjects of jokes, a lack of sophistication, etc...
    Last edited by TheOpiumJuices; 13th August 2014 at 02:05 PM.
    "He who has ventured through the darkest of places, carries forward the brightest of lights." -unknown

There is no definitive distinction between the two categories: I would love to wear most fragrances enjoyed also in public, yet sometimes, it is simply not possible (fragrance-free areas, personal allergies of the respective people, simply too strong notes etc.).

Whatever I wear that day.

Same here; glad to know I'm selfish too

I never wear something to please other people. I only wear it to please myself. If someone else likes it too then that's great. If not, well... you get the picture.
    by the time you can afford good speakers, you can't hear the difference

Basenotes Plus

Echoing Mr Selfish ..

Blog Entries

I wear to please myself, with one exception: if I will be taking my mother (who has dementia) to the doctor, or anywhere else that will force her to be in proximity with me for an extended time, I try to only wear scents I know she likes.

My selfishness doesn't show up that much in the realm of fragrance as I consider the element of air to be genuinely conjointly. And I don't want to make other people feeling uncomfortable close to me because they dislike breathing the air surrounding me. So when choosing a scent of course I pick what I like but the next moment I ask myself whether the person I might have a date with will enjoy smelling this perfume, too (even when he or she will hardly smell it consciously). And possibly decide applying another one of my beloved scents.
    You cannot control your own population by force, but it can be distracted by consumption.

Noam Chomsky

For others? Nothing. I'm not self-important enough to assume others are going around thinking "What perfume will he wear today?" with bated breath.

My perfume is about my tastes. If I live with someone who hates one of my scents I'll avoid that scent when spending time with them, otherwise, it's all good.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    For others? Nothing. I'm not self-important enough to assume others are going around thinking "What perfume will he wear today?" with bated breath.

My perfume is about my tastes. If I live with someone who hates one of my scents I'll avoid that scent when spending time with them, otherwise, it's all good.
    Agreeing with this.
    BRING BACK OUR GIRLS!

Quote Originally Posted by lenovoisgood View Post
    what would you wear to please others (male and female) in general?
    I think this gives way too much importance to fragrance. I highly doubt anything I have ever worn has "pleased others". I don't comb my hair in the morning and say "yes, the part on the side like this will please those around me... and yes, this shirt - this is the one that will please others!"

I wear fragrances that I like and (depending on the situation), will present the image I wish to convey. I don't wear sweatpants to meetings. I don't sing Britney Spears songs at the top of my lungs in the mall. I don't wear my underwear outside my pants, even if I would like to do those things "because I don't care about what other people think". Outside of Basenotes, I personally don't know anyone else who has the "I don't care what other people think" attitude. Everyone I know in the real world does care to some extent about their appearance and image.

So, I don't wear scents "to please others", but to present an image and style that I wish to have.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    6. Puredistance - Black
    7. Brückner - Aoud 1
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Creed - Royal Oud
    10. Chanel - Egoiste

Basenotes Plus

I wear fragrances that please me. That said, if my wife hates something, I don't wear it when I am going to be around her. Also, I am careful about the amount I spray of more intense fragrances if I am going to be at work (university).

No way of knowing what others will like, but I have refrained from wearing fragrances that I thought people might dislike depending on the situation (e.g. not wearing Leather Oud at work) or wearing lighter application or changing where I spray if I'm going to be in confined spaces with people, etc.
    変なおじさん

I would never wear a perfume to please anyone but myself. If I have ever worn something someone else did not like they have never mentioned it. To be honest I wouldn't care.
    DONNA

+1

If I wore frags that others liked, I'd be wearing flags that I hated!
    I LOVE deep dark ouds and most folk I know think it's too deep and heavy. Do I care? No, because I like the smell.

The only person I'm interested in liking how I smell is my wife!

Personally don't wear any fragrance to please anyone other than my wife, and she likes whatever I choose to wear.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I wear all kinds of fragrances, even if I did not care for initially to see if I still dislike. I wear ones I know I like as often as others. If I am in the mood to be certain I love it, I will wear Blackbird or H.M.. Those always please me.

Sometimes I want to please someone else. I will try to remember what they have liked in the past, and pick that or ones with similar notes. And for a couple friends that I know like to scent what I smell like, I try to pick unusual things. I am working my way through a House of Matriarch set of samples right now. Finding out what others think is part of the fun.

Anything in my collection for myself but for other ppl i would choose according to the occasion also how much I spray!
    Form is emptiness, emptiness is form.