Code of Conduct

Default Penhaligon perfumery

Went to bicester village today, and had a walk round the (small) Penhaligons outlet shop.

Have to say, very unimpressed, the fragrances are just horrid.

Quercus seemed to have the notes I'd enjoy, but it smelled synthetic and nothing like patchouli, sandalwood or amber, and made me feel quite nauseous,

We left the store, and went to l'occitane across, and smelled their tester of Veytiver, which was actually a surprisingly nice fragrance.
    However, they didn't have any in stock so was a bit disappointed in Bicester village frankly.

John Lewis have better staff, better range and better customer service!

Default Re: Penhaligon perfumery

I've never been to an actual Penhaligon's store, but though the line's watercolor aesthetic doesn't always work for me, I have a few favorites. I think my top pick at the moment is Elixir.

L'Occitane's a mixed bag, but now and then they put out something I like, like their old Neroli and Cade fragrances, and more recently Eau de Beau.

Not a particular fan overall, with exceptions. In recent years, they have tried to improve a bit by hiring top perfumers and pushing the envelope a bit more. So far, though, none of the new things have really clicked, but at least they're moving in the right direction.

cacio

Don't own any fragrances from Penhaligon but I would be interested in trying a few.

I have a few.... Endymion... Very nice to me... Quercus is ok... I will not purchase again...

Penhaligons in Glasgow was a gorgeous place(before they sold the company), wood and glass.

Hammam Bouquet,
    Night Scented Stock
    Violetta

My favourites.

Bichester is an outlet place so of course you will not get the same stock numbers, they are selling off old stuff or even seconds.

Quite a bit of Penhaligon has been turning up in TKMaxx laterly, at the moment bath/shower, handwashes and lotions too. I have seen the candles in mine before as well as the fragrances.
    DONNA

Personally not a fan of this house although I have tried many of their offerings.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Tralala was the most interesting one, Hammam bouquet not bad.

I like 1870 and Lp No9 and have a bottle of each.

Basenotes Plus

Their London outlets are full of character and well worth a visit especially the Burlington Arcade shop.

Quite a few come across as quintessentially British and a little old school which probably limits their appeal. I enjoy Blenheim Bouquet, Racquets Formula, Elixir, Juniper Sling. Top pick would be a two horse race between LP No 9 and Endymion. Can't stand Sartorial despite it's undoubted popularity here.

Mumsy - Xscent and I tried Tralala in the Burlington Arcade shop and found it quite pleasant though I shudder at the thought of displaying that bottle anywhere .
    Last edited by JON RODGERS; 14th August 2014 at 04:02 PM.

I like Elixir and Violetta and that's about it. Not really my house.

I just can't forgive what happened to Esprit du Roi in the new format. What was one of the most distinctive, lively scents in their male-oriented collection is now a dumbed-down pool of vagueness. Ditto Sans Pareil, which emerged re-born all girly, when it was originally the classiest of gentlemen's rose frags.

I think Castile is still o.k., not as strong, but o.k. I haven't bought a new bottle of Hammam Bouquet lately, so can't speak to its current potency. The only new-ish Penhaligons I own is Elixir, which I like very much for its eucalyptus steam note.

I actually enjoy a few of their fragrances. I currently own Castile (my favorite from the house), Endymion, LP n. 9 and Sartorial.
    I would not classify myself as a fan though, especially since most of their fragrances seem to vanish after a couple of hours.
    Still, they are mostly inoffensive and therefore apt for the oldfashioned corporate environment I work at.

I like Blenheim, Elixir, Endymion and Zizonia. Their Eau de Cologne is also very good, but there are other frags just as good for less.

I fear they are only interested in catering to the hordes of tourists who lap this olde worlde sort of thing up -- to the detriment of the fragrances. There are three or four that I really like, but that is pretty low considering how many they have. Some of the older ones have also suffered from reformulations imo.

Funnily enough, I was thinking about Penhaligons this morning while in the shower (lots of thinking done while in the shower)

I was a fan of Penhaligons, I like English Fern, I own a number of others but I did realise that I do not really love any of the fragrances. I tried to work out why this was the case across such a broad number of fragrances that they offer and I came to the conclusion that none of the fragrances are what I would class as 'rich'

There doesn't seem to be much depth to some of the scents - would if be fair to say that they are quite cold in their approach?

I am no expert when it comes to picking apart scents but in broad terms, Penhaligons seem to make nice scents that do not get under my skin to the degree that other houses do

I haven't tried any for many years but they always struck me as straightforward, safe things.
    Directory contribution link:-
    http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php

Quote Originally Posted by yarn View Post
    Funnily enough, I was thinking about Penhaligons this morning while in the shower (lots of thinking done while in the shower) ....
    Lol, I do lots of thinking there too

Basenotes Junkie

I like, but not love, LP#9. Juniper slign smells nice. There is another that I can't remember the name of (morrocan inspired I think) that is okay. The rest are fine. Nothing jumps out to me as outstanding. I have similar thoughts about Jo Malone. In both cases their fragrances are light in body with nothing majorly distinctive about them and have average to below average longevity. Certainly not what I want to pay for what I get. If they were much cheaper than I might consider them, but at their prices it isn't goood value.

thanks
    rick

Quote Originally Posted by bigbloke View Post
    Lol, I do lots of thinking there too
    Me too! Of course, a high-quality scented soap or gel enhances the thought process, imo.

I have an older bottle of Amaranthine, which I do like, but it's pretty like. I have a decant of Iris Prima and I do enjoy it, but it has no lasting power. I like the bottles!
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

Quote Originally Posted by Casts_by_fly View Post
    Nothing jumps out to me as outstanding.

but at their prices it isn't goood value.

thanks
    rick
    Two statements I can relate to here.
    None of their scents would make me want to visit a shop and buy,
    And certainly not at their cost.
    I've just tried Geo F Trumper and their frags are way way better, and a quarter of the price.

Lords (Douro) used to be my signature scent back in the early 90s, and I loved Blenheim Bouquet in the extrait, but I haven't ventured near them for years. Quality of ingredients had already begun to slide, and with the IFRA/EU norms I hate to think what state they're in now. A shame, as some of the older range - English Fern, Hammam Bouquet - are (were) distinctive, well-made scents. The Rise of Niche has also presented them with a challenge, of course.

They're now owned by the same (US) company as L'Artisan Parfumeur, I think.

I used to visit their boutique in Glasgow early 00s, back then the prices very good, the candles were gorgeous and only £15. The leather goods of course a lot more expensive, I still use a black leather makeup bag I bought then. But late 00s they were bought out by a US company and suddenly the prices sky rocketed for same products. Also they discontinued many of the fragrances to replace with others.

I own Night Scented Stock bought way back and fabulous, I swear it was around £20+ then. It was discontinued and then brought back at like 5 times the price.

If they are owned by the same company as L'Artisan that would explain a lot, their prices went up big time when they were also bought out.
    DONNA

To be honest, their prices are for top end frag houses, but their product is superdrug quality.

geo f trumper make much better frags and under half the price!