Code of Conduct
    Blog Entries

Default Sample of the Day - August 2014

Sorry folks for starting the thread so late!

Today l tried Rouge Avignon by Phaedon.

This is a dark, dusky rose, with woody, earthy nuances & a touch of red fruit. ln the opening l get a strong impression of patchouli, although it's not listed, & about an hour in there's a bread-like accord which l think is produced by the truffle note. From here it slowly sweetens to a creamy-ambery sandalwood base. The fragrance gives off nice wafts for most of its duration, before fading out after around seven hours.

l really enjoyed this one. lt's a delicious, almost-gourmand rose that never becomes too sweet or fruity, & it felt very well-suited to the sunny but slightly autumnal weather we have here at the moment.

l hope to see a few of you sharing your impressions of whatever you're sampling this month!
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Default Re: Sample of the Day - August 2014

Well, this month and part of September will be testing the full line from Parfums Bombay 1950. A total of 22. Yikes!
    Please cancel my subscription to your issues.
    Currently wearing: Lui by Mazzolari

Was curious about Rouge Avignon after purchasing Tabac Rouge. Thanks for the review Teardrop.

Tested for the first time today Diesel Only the Brave and Only the Brave Tatoo- pleasant fragrances, a slight bit too much sweetness however
    Hermes Eau de Narcisse Bleu- far more impressed by this one, yet another release living up to the Hermes reputation
    Currently wearing: Eau des Baux by L'Occitane

Blog Entries

Today l tried Costume National 21.

This is a dusty, powdery, peppery, sweet fragrance, & very autumnal in feel. Many reviews describe it as having a kind of creamy milk pudding vibe, but that's not what l get here. What l get is a sheer, woody patchouli in the opening, followed by a smooth heart rich with labdanum & tonka. A couple of hours in there's a touch of orange, & at this stage it reminds me a little of Anne Pliska. There's amber, sandalwood & moss in the base, & although it's not listed, l get a distinct whiff of tobacco. The moderate sillage lasts around five hours before fading close to the skin, & it's still there after twelve hours.

l find this one deliciously comforting, & look forward to using up my sample during the autumn days to come.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Blog Entries

I'm so glad I found this thread. Somehow I've come into many samples and I never try them. So about 2 months ago I decided that every Saturday I would try a new to me sample. It's worked out pretty well. So far it's gotten me to buy Serge Lutens Sa Majeste La Rose and additional samples of Tom Ford Neroli Portofino. The others, although well crafted, were just not for me. This Saturday I will definitely be posting here.

I have a question. Do you ever like/dislike a sample and then when you buy or try the full size bottle or tester it smells totally different? An example of this for me is Chanel No. 5 Eau Premiere. I loved the sample but today I was in Neiman Marcus and tried their tester. It was not good and didn't smell anything like my sample. Another one is Cartier Panthere. I like my sample and then today I tried it and it smelled totally different. Has this happened to any of you?
    Betsy

Blog Entries

Welcome to the thread, Betsy! There's a new thread every month which can be started by anyone, just like the SOTD threads. l look forward to reading about your sampling experiences.

Regarding samples smelling different to bottles; there have been a number of threads on the subject, & opinions seem to vary. lt may be that the fragrance has been tweaked, which l think has happened in the case of Eau Premiere. Tester bottles are often exposed to a lot of light & heat, which may cause some deterioration in the scent. And l do think dabbing versus spraying can produce a different experience, causing some notes to be more or less prominent as well as affecting projection & longevity.

l hope this helps!

Do they make samples stronger in order to influence future purchases?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by cc1987 View Post
    Do they make samples stronger in order to influence future purchases?
    No but it's always possible that they may be from a previous formulation.
    Directory contribution link:-
    http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php