Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Dior Privee Line Weaker ?

I just received my bottle of Leather Oud from Dioronline.com that I recently re-purchased. It seems more astringent no honey and no skankiness. A much more polite leather oud. Longevity is still good but projection suffers and the "magic" just isn't there anymore.

Has anyone noticed this from the Privee Line lately ?

I might have purchased my first bottle in 2012. I read on a blog somewhere about a possible reformulation since then.

Something about it just isn't special anymore. To the point where I wouldn't recommend it to anyone like I used to do.

Default Re: Dior Privee Line Weaker ?

Man...... This is crazy. I guess I need to cherish my 10ml split. If you don't catch the first release these days, I guess your out of luck.

I recently purchased New bottles of Bois d'Argent and Oud Ispahan. I'm not 100% on the year of production, I believe 2013 for both. Both were great.
    "I am more afraid of an army of 100 Sheep led by a Lion than an army of 100 Lions led by a Sheep."

Quote Originally Posted by thatmakesscents View Post
    I just received my bottle of Leather Oud from Dioronline.com that I recently re-purchased. It seems more astringent no honey and no skankiness. A much more polite leather oud. Longevity is still good but projection suffers and the "magic" just isn't there anymore.
    I've never heard of Dioronline.com, but that could be the problem. Are they reliable? I think you have grounds for sending your bottle back if it smells wrong. I tried Leather Oud recently in a shop and found it just the same as the bottle I have at home, which is about two years old.

I don't think it's been reformulated.
    for swap/sale:

I would hope it hadn't been changed either.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by saminlondon View Post
    I've never heard of Dioronline.com, but that could be the problem.
    Dior online is the official "online" store. You can't get more official than that.

I used up my 125ml of LO about a year ago so I know it well. It is a very potent distinct juice. I have a Dior Boutique just a few blocks from me so I will go there today with my bottle to see what they say. I am sure they will deny everything though...obviously.

What kills me is I could have sent it back if I had saved the box...but I didn't. I waited a few days to open the bottle because I had a few other purchases I wanted to open first.

It is what it is.
    Last edited by thatmakesscents; 16th August 2014 at 04:39 PM.

Get in touch with them and raise your issue, irrespective of the box. Paying that much money for a frag is crazy therefore you're entitled to act a little nuts.

Quote Originally Posted by 61824 View Post
    Get in touch with them and raise your issue, irrespective of the box. Paying that much money for a frag is crazy therefore you're entitled to act a little nuts.
    I'm not sure I want to go through this process "again". These situations do nothing but upset me.

IE. I walk into the Dior Boutique with my bottle and say " This doesn't smell like my other bottle I purchased 2 years ago". Then what ? They smell my bottle and say "It smells ok to me". Then what ? What can they do for me ?

Again my mistake was 1. Not walking a few blocks to purchase it directly from the Dior Boutique 2. Not opening the bottle right away when it arrived at my apartment.

Well I bit the bullet and just went to the Dior Boutique on 57th St. with my new bottle. I explained my situation to an SA and he was kind enough to smell my bottle. He assured me it was authentic which I already had no doubt. He mentioned that I needed to call the online sales number since the boutique doesn't handle online purchases. Before I left I asked to try the LO sampler they had available. One spray of mine on one arm and then one spray of theirs on the other arm. The result ? Both the same juice. Both totally different than my previous bottle of LO.

Let me put it another way. If I had gone to the boutique to purchase it in person and smelled the tester I wouldn't have purchased it. That is how obvious it is to me.

What I will do though is call the online sales department on monday and explain to them what the situation is. Since I just received it I might still be able to return it. In all fairness they do allow returns when they send you the product. I just didn't check the merchandise soon enough. Who would have thought that my beloved LO would have smelled any different.

...that's one of the reasons I don't buy online, anylonger!
    saved money sometimes is wasted money,imo!

Sad...I hate these reformulations that are occuring.
    Most worn scents according to my haphazard use of the SOTD...so perhaps my favorites.
    1. Epic Man by Amouage (23 wears)
    2. M7 by Eves Saint Laurent (18 wears)
    3. Leather Oud by Christian Dior (21 wears)
    4. Oud Imperial (black) by Perris Monte Carlo (14 wears)
    5. Russian Tea Ritual by Masque (13 wears)
    6. Fate Man by Amouage (12 wears)
    7. Terre d'Hermes by Hermes (11 wears plus; often not recorded, my "go to" scent.)
    8. Interlude Man by Amouage (11 wears)
    9. Journey Man by Amouage (12 wears)
    10. Bullion by Byredo (10 wears)

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

You should have taken your older bottle with you to let THEM compare the difference between the batches as this would have made the reformulation change obvious.

It certainly appears that the "If you like it buy it twice (thrice, frice?) - immediately" rule is coming into play more and more often these days with sneak reforms being done on pretty much everything and anything in shorter and shorter time frames.

Quote Originally Posted by 61824 View Post
    You should have taken your older bottle with you to let THEM compare the difference between the batches as this would have made the reformulation change obvious.
    Would have been nice...agreed but I used up the older bottle a year ago. I had nothing but the current.

I wonder if they do that on purpose.. make the first batch really good & potent so everyone will spread the word.. then make the next batch cheaper with less oils since the first time buyers will repurchase thinking its as good as the first time. Kinda like drug dealers. Lol except the first one ain't free
    Last edited by Mitchapalooza; 16th August 2014 at 07:21 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by saminlondon View Post
    I've never heard of Dioronline.com, but that could be the problem. Are they reliable? I think you have grounds for sending your bottle back if it smells wrong. I tried Leather Oud recently in a shop and found it just the same as the bottle I have at home, which is about two years old.
    Dior online is the official "online" store. You can't get more official than that.
    For future reference, the url for the official Dior online fragrance store is:
    http://www.dior.com/beauty/en_us/fra...fragrance.html

"dioronline.com", as was referenced in the OP, doesn't exist.

Basenotes Plus

Thanks, caferacer - I couldn't find it as quoted earlier either
    Directory contribution link:-
    http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php

Bought another bottle of Leather Oud two weeks ago. Smells and performs exactly like the other bottle I bought three years ago: Excellent. :-)

Would have been nice...agreed but I used up the older bottle a year ago. I had nothing but the current.
    That makes sense

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchapalooza View Post
    I wonder if they do that on purpose.. make the first batch really good & potent so everyone will spread the word.. then make the next batch cheaper with less oils since the first time buyers will repurchase thinking its as good as the first time. Kinda like drug dealers. Lol except the first one ain't free
    I have suspected that and wrote about it before. Given the immense markup involved in frags and the fact that the actual cost of the chemicals used in the juice is less than 5% of the overall total cost you have to wonder about the reasoning behind this business practice.

Exactly what can they save by diluting/changing the most essential part? If anything it would cost more in lab time, finding alternative compositions, ingredients etc.. when they could just leave it alone.

Methinks that aside from IFRA regs they nerf fragrances on purpose so the customer has to then go out and buy around 5/6 different bottles till he finds one he likes, which then gets nerfed - rinse and repeat.

Otherwise we'd still have people wearing the original Egoiste Platinum and they never would have tried A&F Fierce, Creed GIT or the zillion Allure flankers - get my drift?

Engineered obsolescence.

Quote Originally Posted by caferacer View Post
    For future reference, the url for the official Dior online fragrance store is:
    http://www.dior.com/beauty/en_us/fra...fragrance.html

"dioronline.com", as was referenced in the OP, doesn't exist.
    Sorry I didn't mean it to be the actual url when I made the post....just that I bought it on the "Dior store online". Sorry to have confused people. It was slang.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    Bought another bottle of Leather Oud two weeks ago. Smells and performs exactly like the other bottle I bought three years ago: Excellent. :-)
    Congrats. You got the good stuff

It's like buying a baggie of coke no doubt.

Hey lesson learned.

I don't know how strong the original was but I do know that when I ordered my last bottle of DHI from the boutique about a month ago the sample of Leather Oud she threw in bag broke and everything in the box reeked of it when I opened it. I'm glad it wasn't the older stronger one that broke.

This is why if there is something I really like and I think I might use a whole bottle of it in my lifetime (which is really rare), I just get a back up bottle immediately.

I just can't imagine myself using that whole bottle of leather oud....even if I didn't have a huge collection. I'm almost 3 years in and still haven't finished a whole bottle. The only bottle that is close (1/4 left) is dior homme, but that was my first.

I just sent Dior and email so hopefully I can avoid the dreaded phone call tomorrow. Lucky me though because I still have the original shipping box that it arrived in. I don't have the invoice but the tracking information on the box should be sufficient.

I have a hunch Dior will come through and accept a return. They've done it for me once before with an open bottle. My message to them was extremely polite but brutally honest

*** Also I found a glass atomizer I was using with LO that is way over a year old. I lifted the cap on the thing and it reeked of the good LO. That is a over a YEAR old. Now the new juice can't get to that level with a fresh spray ????
    Last edited by thatmakesscents; 17th August 2014 at 10:14 PM.

Well here is my 2 cents…I met thatmakesscents this afternoon in town to buy the bottle of IB he was selling. I mentioned to him I adore LO and in the market for some, so he brought his bottle along too. After reading this I was also curious to see if there is any change for myself. I brought my little spray sample from perfumedcourt to do a comparison test and I would have to agree with him.
    I thought it might be a dodgy batch so went over to the Dior shop off fifth and compared to their tester. To me, it was the same as his bottle. When you are smelling the two side by side its pretty obvious, you don't need to be an aficionado. The guy in the store was adamant it has not been reformulated. He said he would tell me if it had because Dior let the shop assistants know. My suspicion is it hasn't filtered down yet or head office are keeping mum.
    Overall, I found the honey note is nowhere near as "thick" and it has lost its (almost harsh) animality on the opening that I put down to the civet. There was also an initial blast of alcohol that I found quite shocking. A couple of hours later and the dry down is quite similar, however I feel it lacks that ultra dryness I get with my sample. It is obviously still LO but it doesn't pack the same punch IMO - it is safer.
    With that said, if anyone in the NYC area is looking to unload a bottle of the older stuff, please do contact me and I'll take it off your hands.

OP: Can you please post your batch # from your current bottle
    "I am more afraid of an army of 100 Sheep led by a Lion than an army of 100 Lions led by a Sheep."

Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post
    OP: Can you please post your batch # from your current bottle
    Sorry I sold the bottle. I would advise to smell before buying or make sure the store policy allows for returns. Personally I would just forget about Leather Oud...It's over. I've already moved on.

It would have been helpful to those interested in purchasing a bottle better pinpoint what exactly that need to avoid. Checking the batch # production date and avoiding that batch or year all together. 2013 for me has been totally fine.