Code of Conduct
    Basenotes Institution

Default J. Crew + Arquiste No. 31 & No. 57

Just read about these new J. Crew + Arquiste fragrances coming out this month, on Now Smell This:

J. Crew will launch two fragrances, No. 31 and No. 57, developed in collaboration with niche brand Arquiste. The fragrances were developed by perfumers Rodrigo Flores-Roux and Yann Vasnier, who were asked to...

...conjure up the Jan. 5, 1943, opening of “Exhibition by 31 Women,” the first all-female modern art show in the U.S., curated by Peggy Guggenheim and displayed at her Art of This Century Gallery on East 57th Street in New York.

No. 31 ~ "attempts to capture the excitement of the crowd and essence of the cocktails", with red vermouth, eau-de-vie accord, rose and damson plum.

No. 57 ~ "meant to reflect the warmth, wood and amber glow in Guggenheim’s gallery", with aged whiskey, cinnamon, labdanum and vanilla.
    The price points are quite affordable & the sizes are great too: 10 ml ($25) and 50 ml ($78)
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Default Re: J. Crew + Arquiste No. 31 & No. 57

These do indeed sound interesting—fingers crossed they'll live up to these descriptions!

Will give them a try when they become accessible.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Will give those a sample. Thanks for the info.

Basenotes Institution

I was a bit surprised when I realized that this is the 'first' scent for J Crew, I could have sworn they had a fragrance before.

No. 57 sounds like the one, on paper, I'll like. I look forward to smelling both of them.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Basenotes Plus

Promising notes, fantastic pricing and sizes. Please post here if anyone has sampled them.

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    I was a bit surprised when I realized that this is the 'first' scent for J Crew, I could have sworn they had a fragrance before.

No. 57 sounds like the one, on paper, I'll like. I look forward to smelling both of them.
    Mike i think DS & Durga made one for JCrew. I went to the store near me but they didn't have it. I don't know if that one has been discontinued.

Basenotes Member

They are available now on the j.crew website. just do a search for Arquiste. Ordered myself a little no. 57

57 is actually very good..very similar to tom ford amber absolute mixed with kiehls cedar wood/vanilla. stuff lasts forever..really good IMHO

Default J. Crew + Arquiste No. 31 & No. 57

I just tried these but my experience was a bit different. 57 is the more interesting of the two -- greater complexity with a better sequence of notes -- but both were weak overall. It even says on the packaging blurb that they'll wear lighter than normal perfumes. Not even remotely similar to Amber Absolute to my nose (I'm a big fan of AA). To me, they're very much Sephora-anonymous styles -- stock, expected bases. They remind me quite a bit of Tokyo Milk and seem to be about the same quality. Not awful, but even at this pricepoint I'd think twice.

The ad-copy for these scents is exceptional though!
    Last edited by deadidol; 24th August 2014 at 03:55 AM.

I very much like No 57. The first stage is abstract and a bit medicinal. Its all oak and cedar on me, along with the whiskey top note. However after 20 minutes, the vanilla appears and adds a creamy roundness, an almost carmelic touch of sweeteness. I quite like this all woods composition. In fact, it's developing into love.
    "You can't change the past, but you can ruin the present by worrying about the future."

"Three essentials for a good life: Someone to love, somewhere to go, and something to look forward to."

Basenotes Institution

-- Eckhart Tolle

Hmmm very interesting indeed . The notes are right up my alley.

It appears J. Crew is having their holiday sale. The coupon code GIVETHIS gets you 30% off non-sale items, so the rollerballs are $17.50 before taxes and the 50 mls are now $55. Not sure when the coupon expires. Very tempting indeed