Code of Conduct

Default Origanum EO prohibited?

Hello, I can't find if Origanum EO it's prohibited by IFRA or only restricted. In good scents have info that it's Toxic...

Default Re: Origanum EO prohibited?

Quote Originally Posted by carlesrodrigo View Post
    Hello, I can't find if Origanum EO it's prohibited by IFRA or only restricted. In good scents have info that it's Toxic...
    No. Oregano Oil is fine for your fragrance use.

Ok thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I Googled IFRA, and searched for Origanum Oil. There is no mention of it, which means it is not even restricted.

Yes I did, and no find anything. But if in goodscents is labeled like TOXIC I hoped that was prohibited!

You may have been looking under the safety tab, at the LD50s. Origanum oil is relatively non toxic, like many essential oils. The dermal LD50 for origanum oil, for rabbits (the dose at which 50% of animals die), is 320 mg/kg. The LD50 for humans would probably be slightly different, but a good safety protocol would be to use no more than 5% of that (16 mg/kg) for a single application, or for once or twice weekly applications. That would equate to 0.64 grams for the average 40 kg 12 year old child. For daily use a good safety protocol would be to use no more than 1% of the LD50 for rabbits. That would equate to 0.128 grams for the average 40 kg 12 year old child.
    Last edited by Pears; 18th August 2014 at 12:03 PM.

Thanks Pears! Really instructive your answer!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk