Code of Conduct
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Default Re: Anyone ever experience a fragrance going bad?

Bump. Anyone else? How many, if applicable, of you have frags/a frag that's at least 20 years old and seems fine to you?
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!
    A bigger and 'fuller' version of avatar: http://i.imgur.com/gAe37QR.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Suppressor View Post
    Let's not drive each other crazy, shall we?

I've certainly never read articles about longtime perfume collectors owning hundreds of bottles which all turned to dreck.
    This!

Quote Originally Posted by TLS View Post
    I think this is the most wonderful post for many fragheads. Thank's Mumsy!
    How do you store yours?
    Currently wearing: Memoir Man by Amouage

Quote Originally Posted by Rbae3928 View Post
    How do you store yours?
    Cool and dark of course.

Quote Originally Posted by ILikePeeps View Post
    Bump. Anyone else? How many, if applicable, of you have frags/a frag that's at least 20 years old and seems fine to you?
    I'd guess I have at least 100, some in splash bottles. Some were my grandmother's, which she bought in the 50s and 60s. I recently bought Matchabelli for Men in a splash bottle and it was just right, AFAICT. And yet all the naysayers have yet to offer me a bottle of a "spoiled" scent, despite saying I'd pay, and not just for shipping costs. I did do a swap for vintage Vermeil a few months back, because the BN member thought it was "bad" or whatever. That seller sold a bunch to BNers, but I don't remember any other member complaining about "spoilage." It seemed like the bottle I bought in 2008. In any case I'd be happy to send a sample to the author of the Raiders of the Lost Scent blog, if he could do a MS/GC study of it to determine if the graph was what is to be expected, or if it shows some sort of spoilage indicators. With the price of vintage going higher and higher, I don't even want to sell at this point, because I think it's just the beginning, as I've seen with other collectibles markets. I find it hilarious that some people say spoilage and usage are issues, when in fact this can only make these items more rare and sought after - and that drives collectibles' markets. Some people don't seem to understand how these markets work, and become irritated watching prices rise, or claim that because someone got a good deal on ebay the market is not "real" (as if any market was "perfect" LOL).

I have had a lot of them go off over the years, mainly because through college and my 1st two apartments, I had no air conditioning. But I have had some exceptional cases of things going off quickly. One was GFF, and another was Mandarine Tout Simplement. Both were gone in about two years.

Going off is different than going bad, I guess. I have experienced the loss of top notes, or a reduction to a more linear quality, I have experienced vanilla based ones starting to smell more like Vanilla Extract over time. I have also experienced florals starting to smell sour,

Today I bought a bad one which I have to return: A bottle of Chocolat; Mat that has gone over the rainbow & smells like cat pee. No joke. That isn't the way it's supposed to smell. I smelled a fresh one in 2005.
    In her bottled up is a woman peppery as curry,
    a yam of a woman of butter and brass,
    compounded of acid and sweet like a pineapple,
    like a handgrenade set to explode,
    like goldenrod ready to bloom.

—from "The Woman in the Ordinary" by Marge Piercy
    Currently wearing: Tihota by Indult

Dependent

I have not had a fragrance spoil on my watch. But I have had people sell me or try and trade me fragrances that have gone to hell. The latest was a travel bottle of Tea for two. The stuff was completely rancid and was developing solids in it. And I have smelled a lot of testers that were left in the sun too long and spoiled.

At my old job our Clarins vendor would leave testers from the entire line in her trunk to bake. I can't tell you the number of times the Angel, Chrome, Azzaro and Mugler Cologne testers we would get that were off or altogether spoiled. They would suffer loss of color, notes and dried fragrance in the bottle. Some of which were downright gross.
    Last edited by dealt7faux; 1st January 2016 at 03:54 PM.

Well there are a number of possible issues:

1. What's in the tube can indeed smell horrible so that needs to be cleared.
    2. One can't speak to splash bottles, just sealed spray ones.
    3. Discoloration does not mean spoilage, nor does flaking (I suspect many people see such things and spray what's in the tube, and say to themselves, "oh wow this is horrible" without testing the liquid that isn't in the tube).
    4. Some people are more interested in top notes, which may indeed "go bad" in certain compositions (and when those ingredients are more natural).
    5. Other people are seeking a certain kind of drydown, which they feel is superior to anything being released now, including niche, so they don't care whether there is a loss of some tops notes or some "shifting."

And my offer remains open: if you have a sealed spray bottle you consider spoiled and don't want, tell me what it is and I'll give you a price, which will be more than shipping costs for sure if I want it. And I'll mention that when I have swapped/sold decants of various vintage scents probably about half the time the buyers have said things like, "wow this is so rich and so much better than the stuff that's out there now." One person said the vintage Aramis bottle I sold smelled more like vintage Yatagan (which I've never tried so I can't say). Nobody has said that they thought there was anything wrong with what I sent them, other than the scent not smelling like what they had imagined (in "blind" situations, and that has only been the case a couple of times), but I haven't gotten any reports of spoilage..
    Last edited by Bigsly; 1st January 2016 at 09:02 PM.

I've found that sometimes a fragrance can go off and still smell quite good.

Not all wine tastes better with age... just different. Some don't age well and become unpalatable. But just as some fragrances will turn and be unwearable, some may lose notes or experience a transformation that changes the character in an interesting way (highly subjective, of course).
    Some favorites: Pasha Incense Royale, Chopard (Oud Malaki, Noble Vetiver), Amouage (Epic Man, Tribute), Versace L'Homme (vintage), YSL (M7, Kouros (1st)), Gucci Envy, Gucci Nobile, Hermes (vintage: Bel Ami, Equipage), Chanel (vintage: Antaeus, Pour Monsieur (+CC), Egoiste (+CC)), Tiffany For Men, Estee Lauder Metropolis, Jean-Marc Sinan VO, Guerlain (Heritage, L'Homme Intense, LIDGE), Serge Lutens Vetiver Oriental, Etro (Palais Jamais, Gomma, Vetiver, Shaal Nur, Patchouly), Davidoff Zino (1st), Acqua di Parma (Assoluta 2011, Essenza, Intensa Oud), Gianfranco Ferre For Man (1st), Elsha 1776, Balenciaga Ho Hang Club, Jovoy Private Label, Monsieur Carven, Diptyque (Hesperides, Tam Dao EDP), Byredo (Accord Oud, Baudelaire)

Yes. It happened with Blenheim Bouquet and Eau d'Hadrian. They just didn't smell good anymore. Eau d'Hadrian in particular started to develop a thick and sour smell. Not good at all.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Well there are a number of possible issues:

1. What's in the tube can indeed smell horrible so that needs to be cleared.
    2. One can't speak to splash bottles, just sealed spray ones.
    3. Discoloration does not mean spoilage, nor does flaking (I suspect many people see such things and spray what's in the tube, and say to themselves, "oh wow this is horrible" without testing the liquid that isn't in the tube).
    4. Some people are more interested in top notes, which may indeed "go bad" in certain compositions (and when those ingredients are more natural).
    5. Other people are seeking a certain kind of drydown, which they feel is superior to anything being released now, including niche, so they don't care whether there is a loss of some tops notes or some "shifting."

And my offer remains open: if you have a sealed spray bottle you consider spoiled and don't want, tell me what it is and I'll give you a price, which will be more than shipping costs for sure if I want it. And I'll mention that when I have swapped/sold decants of various vintage scents probably about half the time the buyers have said things like, "wow this is so rich and so much better than the stuff that's out there now." One person said the vintage Aramis bottle I sold smelled more like vintage Yatagan (which I've never tried so I can't say). Nobody has said that they thought there was anything wrong with what I sent them, other than the scent not smelling like what they had imagined (in "blind" situations, and that has only been the case a couple of times), but I haven't gotten any reports of spoilage..
    In some cases the stuff is truly spoiled. Especially if you have a second bottle to compare it to. Flakes aren't a sure sign of something gone wrong but when you have multiple issues with the same bottle sometimes you just have to call it. If some guys just love rancid juice more power to them. I know some guys who like skunky beer and cheap whiskey. And there are some guys who just don't know the difference. I will say this. If someone here on basenotes sold me a fragrance that was for sure spoiled I probably wouldn't say anything either. I just make a list of people I wont do business with again. Ebay on the other hand I will fight it because I actually have a chance. But here if someone sells me something and its spoiled or they don't know how to pack things for shipping I just put them on a black list. So I wouldn't always equate not getting negative feeback from buyers as a sure sign of everything being a-ok. Some don't want to be insulting and wont become accusatory or argumentative.
    Last edited by Tmoran; 2nd January 2016 at 03:26 PM.

Dependent
    Blog Entries

We went shopping today as I got a text that Creed was having specials; I dropped by the Creed Boutique and there was a bottle of Aventus which was colored slightly green. I think it's safe to say it has begun the process of going bad(we have very humid summers and the high-end dept stores don't turn on the A/C during closed hours). I was so thankful to a fellow Basenoter who'd given a heads up and written a thread about niche colognes going bad if improperly stored.
    Last edited by Paul H; 2nd January 2016 at 03:19 PM.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    We went shopping today as I got a text that Creed was having specials; I dropped by the Creed Boutique and there was a bottle of Aventus which was colored slightly green. I think it's safe to say it has begun the process of going bad(we have very humid summers and the high-end dept stores don't turn on the A/C during closed hours). I was so thankful to a fellow Basenoter who'd given a heads up and written a thread about niche colognes going bad if improperly stored.

Besides the green color what was wrong with it? Older varieties of aventus actually had a greenish tint to the juice. It wasn't always transparent. Its entirely possible with the boutique though. I was always surprised at how many bottles they kept in the windows in direct light. Cant be good for the stuff even if they have UV protectant film on the windows.

Around 2008 or so, I picked up a bottle of Hascish Homme by Veejaga that had turned. Truly awful and of course, I put the fragrance on BLAST because I hadn't realized it was no longer g2g until I mustered the courage years later to try another bottle of it.

Luckily, we don't run into this problem often. If it's your first sampling of a particular scent and the juice is bad......it's highly doubtful you'll be willing to give it another go anytime soon.

Dependent
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Tmoran View Post
    Besides the green color what was wrong with it? Older varieties of aventus actually had a greenish tint to the juice. It wasn't always transparent. Its entirely possible with the boutique though. I was always surprised at how many bottles they kept in the windows in direct light. Cant be good for the stuff even if they have UV protectant film on the windows.
    Timoran, it just didn't smell right..It was somewhat muted at the top. Like, I just knew and it smelled flat kinda'. Even the sales associate said that the stuff they got in earlier seemed better. However, we have really humid summers so I can see why it turned slightly green. That same batch(not going to go into that here) was transparent as a diamond in the summer so I know. Bottom Line: Just avoid scorching heat/humidity and it's all good. Godspeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    You aren't with any Facebook fragrance groups, are you? Stuff about 'green tint' Aventus recently.

Maybe the NEWER Aventus (don't know when it may have started, and don't know if it's stopped) have started having a green tint to them.

The green tint might be a sign that it's a newer Aventus, and is probably completely normal, rather than a sign of degradation.

Edit: Unless all of the pics with green tinted Aventus or w/e are degraded? Haha. Not sure how likely or not that is.
    Last edited by ILikePeeps; 4th January 2016 at 12:18 AM.
    **Resident Basenotes .gif responder!**
    dougczar: "Like I always say, if you like something BUY IT. If you love it, BUY TWO."
    Tmoran: "Gamma radiation made the hulk but I dont think he could drink a bottle of kouros and survive."
    All Hail King Kouros!
    A bigger and 'fuller' version of avatar: http://i.imgur.com/gAe37QR.jpg

Blog Entries

I wonder if bottles degrade quicker after they are less than half full.

I had a bottle of DKNY for about 5 years out on a bedroom shelf that went stale rapidly after about 3/4 had been emptied.
    Top 5
    1. Monsillage Aviation Club
    2. Maison Francis Kurkdjian Pluriel
    3. Chanel Pour Monsieur
    4. Tom Ford Oud Wood
    5. Tauer L'Air Du Desert Marocain
    Currently wearing: Antaeus by Chanel

I think if you buy used vintage bottles from eBay you need to use them pretty quickly afterwards as some do tend to "turn" pretty quickly.

I bought a vintage Azarro PH a few years ago which was perfectly fine, wore it perhaps 20 or so times and then put it away with my others in the back of a wardrobe. Sprayed it on the way to watch a football match a couple of years later one winter and it had gone rancid. I can now wear 20 or 30 sprays and after an hour or weak, gone bad smell goes away and you can detect a little bit of the original fragrance. This was a 2/3 used vintage bottle without a box.

I also bought a used Escada PH 100ml with no box or lid that was unwearable so got a refund straight away. Same happened with an old Givenchy Gentleman although that did have the lid. I suppose you just can't tell how how people treat or store stuff before they sell it.

Most weird was an almost full bottle of the Versace Jeans Couture in the green Rhine-stone bottle. It came in a box and isn't really that old anyway but smelled funky as hell when a I first sprayed it? Maybe that was down to the fact it's a plastic bottle instead of glass. Strange.
    Currently wearing: Theorema Uomo by Fendi

Quote Originally Posted by Roby View Post
    I suppose you just can't tell how how people treat or store stuff before they sell it.
    Very true.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Not yet and hopefully never.

I store all of mine in air conditioned rooms in the house. I had 1 travel size bottle of ysl la nuit 2009 that stayed in my car in the super hot summer and humidity and also in direct sunlight. Forgot about it but saw it one day when I needed a good smell. Instant regret! Smelled absolutely vile. I grabbed paper towels to try and wipe it off. Seemed to get better at the base notes but it was the nastiest smell, disgusting