Code of Conduct
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Blog Entries

Default Re: Anyone ever experience a fragrance going bad?

In 1992 I bought a bottle of Laura Ashley No. 1 edp to wear at my wedding. This is a floral scent. Reported notes are as follows:

top notes:
    bergamot, galbanum, hyacinth, gardenia
    middle notes: rose, tuberose, orchid, carnation, jasmine, ylang-ylang
    base notes: styrax, benzoin, musk, sandalwood

Back then, I didn't know that even indirect light could be damaging to perfumes, and kept my perfumes on top of my dresser. After 2-3 years, they all had nasty top notes. I bought fresh bottles of my other perfumes, but by the time I tried to buy another bottle of Laura Ashley No. 1, it had been discontinued and was not to be found in stores.

I was a bit sad to lose my wedding scent, but kept the beautiful painted bottle on display and used it now and then as a room spray. The ruined top notes were not an issue. I still have that 20 year old bottle and it's still perfectly fine as a room spray.

After some years, we bought a computer. Now there was a potential new source for my beloved Laura Ashley No. 1: eBay.
    In 2007 I bought a new, sealed box of the eau de parfum. It was a bit disappointing; the beautiful sweet floral top notes were weak, insipid, but wearable. Clearly the bottle had not been exposed to light wherever it was stored, and it had never been sprayed before. It may have been exposed to hot conditions, maybe even in someone's garage, awaiting an estate sale. Or, I thought, maybe it just turned because of age. I determined to try again.

I bought another new, sealed bottle on eBay. The second one was even worse. This time the top notes were truly unpleasant. Still, it is highly wearable after the top notes are gone, if I can endure those first 10 minutes.

I put both bottles in the fridge, together with my other perfumes which I had already begun storing there. The Laura Ashleys have not deteriorated any more since then, and my other perfumes are holding up great! So I'm back to thinking it was heat and not age that caused the top notes' deterioration, since the bottles are 7 years older now than they were when I bought them, but smell much the same as they did in 2007.

Other perfumes may be more affected by chemical changes caused by age. I have read that this is true of aldehydes. I do not tend to buy floral aldehyde type perfumes, however, so can't report on that. My citruses are holding up very well.

Quote Originally Posted by 30 Roses View Post
    In 1992 I bought a bottle of Laura Ashley No. 1 edp to wear at my wedding. This is a floral scent. Reported notes are as follows:

top notes:
    bergamot, galbanum, hyacinth, gardenia
    middle notes: rose, tuberose, orchid, carnation, jasmine, ylang-ylang
    base notes: styrax, benzoin, musk, sandalwood

Back then, I didn't know that even indirect light could be damaging to perfumes, and kept my perfumes on top of my dresser. After 2-3 years, they all had nasty top notes. I bought fresh bottles of my other perfumes, but by the time I tried to buy another bottle of Laura Ashley No. 1, it had been discontinued and was not to be found in stores.

I was a bit sad to lose my wedding scent, but kept the beautiful painted bottle on display and used it now and then as a room spray. The ruined top notes were not an issue. I still have that 20 year old bottle and it's still perfectly fine as a room spray.

After some years, we bought a computer. Now there was a potential new source for my beloved Laura Ashley No. 1: eBay.
    In 2007 I bought a new, sealed box of the eau de parfum. It was a bit disappointing; the beautiful sweet floral top notes were weak, insipid, but wearable. Clearly the bottle had not been exposed to light wherever it was stored, and it had never been sprayed before. It may have been exposed to hot conditions, maybe even in someone's garage, awaiting an estate sale. Or, I thought, maybe it just turned because of age. I determined to try again.

I bought another new, sealed bottle on eBay. The second one was even worse. This time the top notes were truly unpleasant. Still, it is highly wearable after the top notes are gone, if I can endure those first 10 minutes.

I put both bottles in the fridge, together with my other perfumes which I had already begun storing there. The Laura Ashleys have not deteriorated any more since then, and my other perfumes are holding up great! So I'm back to thinking it was heat and not age that caused the top notes' deterioration, since the bottles are 7 years older now than they were when I bought them, but smell much the same as they did in 2007.

Other perfumes may be more affected by chemical changes caused by age. I have read that this is true of aldehydes. I do not tend to buy floral aldehyde type perfumes, however, so can't report on that. My citruses are holding up very well.
    Great post, further noting the fact about temperature and fragrance storage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...Other perfumes may be more affected by chemical changes caused by age. I have read that this is true of aldehydes. I do not tend to buy floral aldehyde type perfumes, however, so can't report on that. My citruses are holding up very well.
    This is consistent with my experience, the latest being the Chanel No. 5 EdC I mentioned in an earlier post. In particular, this Chanel seemed to have lost the aldehyde punch and instead had a burnt quality (great drydown though). I would never advise anyone to buy vintage blind if top notes were important to that person. Again, much of the "debate" seems involve the difference between people who want the vintage drydowns (which even today's niche is not capable of producing, IMO) and those who mostly want the top notes experience (and apparently many of them use 10+ sprays to keep it alive quite a while, though that depends upon the scent, hence complaints about "bad longevity" for some very strong ones!). The latter may not smell much of a drydown in any scent, actually (and this was true for myself, as a newbie, which led me to develop an olfactory fatigue avoidance technique, which I've discussed many times before).
    Last edited by Bigsly; 20th August 2014 at 09:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Suppressor View Post
    I have no reason to disbelieve his statement about Aventus going bad since it was stored in bad conditions.
    But that's not the key question, because there is likely to be some change relative to what will occur versus an identical bottle stored "properly" (I'm assuming we can agree upon that). Instead, one must first define "spoiled," "turned," "gone bad," etc. If the claims of scents like Avents, MI, etc. "going bad" are accurate, then all those people wearing 30+ year old scents should smell like skunks (if the concept of "spoiled" is used in the same way as it is when used with food). I already cited the Old Spice study, as well as all the online reviews/posts, and the rising ebay prices for vintage (so that one can entirely ignore everything I have ever said in this context if one wishes), yet we have people saying scents less than 10 years are are "spoiled." Clearly, this is highly unlikely, and instead those people probably mean that the top notes don't smell the same (but certainly the drydown probably is quite good still). I think that when I buy one of these "spoiled" Creed bottles I can then provide an assessment, but again, everyone who makes this claim seems to throw their bottles in the garbage rather than make money on them.

So, since I don't think anyone will ever sell me one such bottle, I am going to do my dollar store scent experiment, and as some posters here said, I'll put a bottle in the trunk of a car for the hot months and then after a couple cold months I'll put it on the window sill of an areas that gets a lot of sunlight. I'll test it every few months, and post on my blog about what happens, as well as at BN (once it is complete or until there is a major change in the scent). Long-time BNers who want a sample can pay for postage and I'll send it, if I think there has been any change in the drydowns (fleeting top notes on this one don't smell good and my comments only refer to drydowns, unless otherwise specified). This is a excellent scent to use because it is a good "knock off" of Paco Rabanne PH in the drydown, and I can compare it to some vintage PRPH too, since I have some of that one.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 20th August 2014 at 09:37 PM.

Vintage prices on ebay are not an indicator without controlling for variables. The number of buyers increases, the number of bottles does not. More dollars chasing fewer items will mean price hikes irrespective of minot changes in quality, particularly since there is no sampling before purchase. This is an inefficient market realtive to the information available to consumers about the specific and unique items they are purchasing. This may suppress prices compared to a system with lower risk, but that does not change the fact that the change in market conditions will have upward pressure on pricing. Also, further macroeconomic effects of inflation and forex will also drive prices higher with no change at all in the specific number of bay buyers nor the availability of a particular product class. The incremental growth in vintage fragrance price cannot be estimated until those things are addressed. Also, the quality of the fragrance may be secondary to whatever is driving the purchase decision for some buyers. If they are collecting a line, a year, bottles, etc., the condition of the fluid will be largely irrelevant. Confederate notes are not useful as a unit of exchange, yet there is still a demand for them. Stamps that cannot cover the cost of postage still go for thousands. Rarity irrespective of performance "quality" can drive prices higher as well, so that also must be considered as more buyers enter the market to acquire fragrances for more than one reason.

@Bigsly. Most excellent a plan. I might even join you but divide the same scent into two clear bottles and treat them differently. One well and one badly. Fab idea. Maybe two scents, one aldehydic and one basenotey.

http://www.chemguide.co.uk/physical/...mperature.html

This page has math & stuff. If some of the values were known, you could actually see what the effects of storage in a car, in a home with the A/C off, near the equator, etc. would be on the rate of oxidation. It appears that there are several articles about such a thing for lubricants, vegetable oils and frozen foods.
    http://www.chemguide.co.uk/physical/...enius.html#top
    Last edited by Lomaniac; 20th August 2014 at 10:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mattybumpkin View Post
    Yes, I have half left of a 2.5oz bottle of GIT that has turned......sucks. Very stale/acidic smelling top notes.
    Turn that frown upside down - I've got $20 that is ready to go into your pocket if you want to rid yourself of it. Perhaps there should be a new BN forum for sales of "stale" expensive scents! LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by Lomaniac View Post
    Vintage prices on ebay are not an indicator without controlling for variables. The number of buyers increases, the number of bottles does not. More dollars chasing fewer items will mean price hikes irrespective of minot changes in quality, particularly since there is no sampling before purchase. This is an inefficient market realtive to the information available to consumers about the specific and unique items they are purchasing. This may suppress prices compared to a system with lower risk, but that does not change the fact that the change in market conditions will have upward pressure on pricing. Also, further macroeconomic effects of inflation and forex will also drive prices higher with no change at all in the specific number of bay buyers nor the availability of a particular product class. The incremental growth in vintage fragrance price cannot be estimated until those things are addressed. Also, the quality of the fragrance may be secondary to whatever is driving the purchase decision for some buyers. If they are collecting a line, a year, bottles, etc., the condition of the fluid will be largely irrelevant. Confederate notes are not useful as a unit of exchange, yet there is still a demand for them. Stamps that cannot cover the cost of postage still go for thousands. Rarity irrespective of performance "quality" can drive prices higher as well, so that also must be considered as more buyers enter the market to acquire fragrances for more than one reason.
    The point is that if many of these bottles smelled like spoiled food there would not be such a steep rise. I buy many vintage this way and if every third bottle smelled really bad I would have stopped buying them years ago!

It does not seem the proportion is anywhere near that high. If 5% of bottles went bad in a decade, that means 95% would still be fine. That's a WAG, but my point is just that if failure rate is low enough, it wouldn't be particularly concerning for most buyers... but it still wouldn't be zero.

If only a few perfumes out of hundreds turn or at some point smell "off," enough to prompt people to purchase (and repurchase) in the hopes of finding a fresh bottle, as 30 Roses did, then we can all agree that perfumes can, in a broad sense, go bad. Just means they can, it doesn't mean they will. To try to do experiments on this will yield nothing, it's already known that spoilage is a possibility. Why else are people storing their fragrances in refrigerators, of all things?

I have bought a vintage Dior-Dior that smelled like vinegar. Simply unwearable.
    Another fragrance I received smelled like alcohol and with not much else (Victoria's Secret Dream Angels Heavenly).
    Annick Goutal's Songes EdP after 6 years had lost the gourmand note and smelled only like a tropical fragrance with a woody drydown.Not as yummy as it used to be.
    Considering I have been collecting almost 10 years it is not much.

My cK Contradiction for Men has lost its top notes, when compared to a new bottle. But that was after 10+ years or so.

It does not seem the proportion is anywhere near that high. If 5% of bottles went bad in a decade, that means 95% would still be fine. That's a WAG, but my point is just that if failure rate is low enough, it wouldn't be particularly concerning for most buyers... but it still wouldn't be zero.
    Nobody is claiming perfection, but there are at least two distinctions here. One is if some people must have "great" top notes whereas others are concerned with the drydowns. The other is what percentage of vintage (let's say 15+ years old) are unwearable, even for just the drydown. Old Spice is a "cheapo," and yet the one study done that seems to have been on point found very little degradation, probably not enough for anyone to notice, other than perhaps a slight difference in the top notes experience (and certainly not worthy of being called "spoiled"). I discussed this study on one of my blog posts, for those interested.

Basenotes Plus

I have never had a fragrance turn on me. But most of the time I have the opportunity to use them up before that becomes an issue. And my room is always a constant 65-70 degrees and the blinds are always closed. My really expensive stuff stays in the boxes or are in bottles that dont let light in.

Quote Originally Posted by Tmoran View Post
    I have never had a fragrance turn on me. But most of the time I have the opportunity to use them up before that becomes an issue. And my room is always a constant 65-70 degrees and the blinds are always closed. My really expensive stuff stays in the boxes or are in bottles that dont let light in.
    You use bottles up? How large is your collection if I may ask?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by TLS View Post
    You use bottles up? How large is your collection if I may ask?
    My collection is not huge. I would say I have a total of 40 or 50 bottles with a couple backups of certain ones that I fear will go up in price by the time I need them again. I would say about half of them maybe more aren't keepers and will either be traded or swapped off. In some cases I have ended up having certain bottles for quite a few years and never have had one go bad. Some have changed slightly but mostly in a good way. In many cases I will trade certain fragrances off before they get finished due to losing interest in it but I have a few that I will always have a bottle of. I usually only will keep 20 bottles max in my rotation as i only try to keep bottles of my absolute must haves. And those must haves get used up. I am a bit heavy on the trigger though so I can probably use up a bottle faster than most people. Back in the day I used to wear only lighter citrus based scents and I had to lay them on thick to be able to smell them. I never dropped the habit but I have been trying desperately to reduce my amount of sprays.

Note that I have still not been contacted by anyone who wants to sell their "spoiled" scents !

Basenotes Plus

They probably binned them
    Directory contribution link:-
    http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    They probably binned them
    LOL. I think this thread was quite informative, even if we leave aside the question about why nobody wants to sell me "spoiled" scents !

I've heard after a few years they can go off, i bought a 12 year old fragrance the other week and i have to say it did smell kinda weird, like not fresh enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Bigsly View Post
    Note that I have still not been contacted by anyone who wants to sell their "spoiled" scents !
    I don't think anyone would keep their spoiled scents in their collections (I threw it off the following day out of shame for having it go bad). I purchased a beverage/ Wine cooler last Thursday, and now I can sleep at night again (first world problem). I should've purchased it before but as you, I didn't believe in fragrance spoilage until sadly, it happened to my Aventus. Now im a converted believer that extreme heat kills fragrances like a silent serial killer.

Blog Entries

If I buy a vintage scent at a thrift shop, flea market or antique shop and find that it has spoiled, I dump it.

If I buy a vintage scent at a thrift shop, flea market or antique shop and find that it has spoiled, I dump it.
    Same here. I haven't stumbled across many that have passed the point of no return but when I do I eventually toss 'em. Usually it's a stages type exercise... 1. denial, 2. maybe it's just me, 3. acceptance, 4. doctor it up with some essential oils and/or just toss 'em.

I take a big picture philosophy with this hobby, not getting too angry when I get caught holding dreck. I rationalize it as part of the overall cost of the hobby.

I haven't sold anything yet, but when I reach that point I will not be selling anything that, to me, has turned to dreck OR that I believe is noticeably on its way. I'm a firm believer that one need not have an exceptional nose to sense the varnishy (burnt sugar, as noted by others) aspect of most perfume degradation. The notes that turn simply cannot be ignored, they don't vanish. This stuff needs to be taken out of circulation. I'm not going to pass along crap at deep discount in the off chance that the buyer finds acceptable satisfaction. Worse yet, what if the buyer turns around and sells the crap at a markup? It's got to stop with someone. If not me, then who? There seem to be many here that would do the same.

With his arguably quirky perspective, mr. bigsly doesn't seem to be one of them, does he? He's able to simply ignore topnotes, doesn't seem to sense the varnish / burnt sugar of a turned bottle, and/or doesn't let it diminish his enjoyment of the heart and dry down. Fine, good for him and those like him. However, when and if these folks sell these turned fragrances they propagate the problem. I've still got a bottle of Farina Gegenuber - Kolnisch Wasser that is dreck. I've also got bottles of Annick Goutal - Eau de Monsieur and Ninna Ricci - Signoricci that I believe are on their way. The 3 cost me a little less than $150 total, but I ain't selling to him or anyone else. I'd give them to family/good friends only upon the promise they'd not attempt to sell and I'd explain why. Of course, there's no right or wrong and what mr. bigsly choses to believe is his business. I just know that I'd never take a chance buying anything from mr. bigsly... I know this sounds shitty but there's no malicious intent here, just my opinion.
    Simplex Sigillum Veri

I think my Polo Blue has turned. Either my nose has REALLY changed, or something's wrong with the stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by DuNezDeBuzier View Post
    Same here. I haven't stumbled across many that have passed the point of no return but when I do I eventually toss 'em. Usually it's a stages type exercise... 1. denial, 2. maybe it's just me, 3. acceptance, 4. doctor it up with some essential oils and/or just toss 'em.

I take a big picture philosophy with this hobby, not getting too angry when I get caught holding dreck. I rationalize it as part of the overall cost of the hobby.

I haven't sold anything yet, but when I reach that point I will not be selling anything that, to me, has turned to dreck OR that I believe is noticeably on its way. I'm a firm believer that one need not have an exceptional nose to sense the varnishy (burnt sugar, as noted by others) aspect of most perfume degradation. The notes that turn simply cannot be ignored, they don't vanish. This stuff needs to be taken out of circulation. I'm not going to pass along crap at deep discount in the off chance that the buyer finds acceptable satisfaction. Worse yet, what if the buyer turns around and sells the crap at a markup? It's got to stop with someone. If not me, then who? There seem to be many here that would do the same.

With his arguably quirky perspective, mr. bigsly doesn't seem to be one of them, does he? He's able to simply ignore topnotes, doesn't seem to sense the varnish / burnt sugar of a turned bottle, and/or doesn't let it diminish his enjoyment of the heart and dry down. Fine, good for him and those like him. However, when and if these folks sell these turned fragrances they propagate the problem. I've still got a bottle of Farina Gegenuber - Kolnisch Wasser that is dreck. I've also got bottles of Annick Goutal - Eau de Monsieur and Ninna Ricci - Signoricci that I believe are on their way. The 3 cost me a little less than $150 total, but I ain't selling to him or anyone else. I'd give them to family/good friends only upon the promise they'd not attempt to sell and I'd explain why. Of course, there's no right or wrong and what mr. bigsly choses to believe is his business. I just know that I'd never take a chance buying anything from mr. bigsly... I know this sounds shitty but there's no malicious intent here, just my opinion.
    I agree. The standards for considering quality should be a little higher than shrugging off lost top notes and "varnish" notes in the heart, all because the basenotes, which are usually the largest molecules, like musks and mosses, have survived. Fragrances are meant to be enjoyed as a whole, right? Since when are basenotes alone acceptable criteria for considering a perfume to be wearable and well preserved? I'm fortunate that my older stuff still smells pretty good all the way through. Except my bottle of Allure Homme Sport, which seems to have changed for the worse, which surprises me a little because it's Chanel. I've had half a bottle just sitting for a few years now though. Someone above mentioned half bottles, with air in the bottle, being a risk factor.

How about the dry down though? won't that still be the same?

Quote Originally Posted by cc1987 View Post
    How about the dry down though? won't that still be the same?
    Maybe, maybe not. The dry downs of perfumes usually are mainly the basenotes.

Quote Originally Posted by HankHarvey View Post
    I agree. The standards for considering quality should be a little higher than shrugging off lost top notes and "varnish" notes in the heart, all because the basenotes, which are usually the largest molecules, like musks and mosses, have survived. Fragrances are meant to be enjoyed as a whole, right? Since when are basenotes alone acceptable criteria for considering a perfume to be wearable and well preserved? I'm fortunate that my older stuff still smells pretty good all the way through. Except my bottle of Allure Homme Sport, which seems to have changed for the worse, which surprises me a little because it's Chanel. I've had half a bottle just sitting for a few years now though. Someone above mentioned half bottles, with air in the bottle, being a risk factor.
    Hank/ Bryan: The note pyramid stuff is just an abstraction, which is why I introduced the notion of an "opening" several years ago (I think I was first, but who cares?). Let's think in "common sense" terms here. If people have to wait a few minutes for something that smells great to them, even if it is not exactly what it was like years ago, how many of them will find that unacceptable? If you had to smell like a skunk for an hour that would certainly be different, but the only claim I've heard similar to that involves the 150 year old bottles found in a shipwreck. By contrast, the Old Spice study you cited on your blog suggests that vintage should be just fine for nearly everyone, and the lack of claims about "spoiled" scents in all the online reviews of vintage can only be interpreted one way. On the other hand, there are more than a few claims of "spoiled" recent scents, especially Creeds. Some of these people say explicitly it's a top notes issue for them. Thus, I'm not sure what there is to argue here - it all seems rather obvious at this point.

Sometimes there is a great difficulty in obtaining a really vintage scent that has more than likely gone off. There is still some virtue in it for the perfumer because the understanding of perfume structure is still to be found in what might be left. Those that love bottles may want it for that alone. There are some lovers for lost scents however hard those that don't want them may argue. Each to their own eh?

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by tensor9 View Post
    I think my Polo Blue has turned. Either my nose has REALLY changed, or something's wrong with the stuff.
    Of course there is something wrong with it. Its polo blue, lol. Just kidding. I couldnt resist. In all honesty though your nose may have in fact changed. There was a day I thought Mont blanc legend was the best fragrance ever created. And at that time I though bleu de chanel had too much going on. These days bleu de chanel is the least interesting fragrance in my rotation and I really appreciate much more complicated scents.

I found an old sample of Caron Le Troisieme Homme.
    It's a 2ml decant from Firstinfragrance.
    It has to be at least 7 years old.
    They claim that the samples should be used within 6 months.
    There was maybe 10% left, so there was a lot of air and time to make it deteriorate.
    I sprayed it all on myself and guess what: it's still perfect.
    There is nothing wrong with it. It's fresh, strong, no burnt sugar or funky notes.

Let's not drive each other crazy, shall we?

I've certainly never read articles about longtime perfume collectors owning hundreds of bottles which all turned to dreck.

I found an old sample of Caron Le Troisieme Homme.
    It's a 2ml decant from Firstinfragrance.
    It has to be at least 7 years old.
    They claim that the samples should be used within 6 months.
    There was maybe 10% left, so there was a lot of air and time to make it deteriorate.
    I sprayed it all on myself and guess what: it's still perfect.
    There is nothing wrong with it. It's fresh, strong, no burnt sugar or funky notes.

Let's not drive each other crazy, shall we?

I've certainly never read articles about longtime perfume collectors owning hundreds of bottles which all turned to dreck.
    Maybe it depends on the scent: I too found an aged sample of an old Caron, Caron Pour un homme, in an old non-air conditioned antique shop in Paris, and while the top notes are certainly not what they were, after 10 minutes it turns into the warmest, most enveloping and inviting and sensuous scent... I LOVE it.

I understand when others say that the top notes belong to the experience of the perfume, and in certain cases it can spoil a scent and in certain cases a scent is indeed entirely ruined, from top to bottom, but I take what Bigsly is saying into account as well: be patient with the scent and maybe it will unfold and reveal itself.

I think each fragrance lover has to make the personal determination as to whether a perfume is still good, or went bad. These experiences will certainly vary depending on the fragrance. My vintage Shalimar is too buttery and burnt in the early stages of wear, but it only lasts about five minutes and then the deep vanilla drydown steals the show. I don't mind that because I didn't care for the citrus in Shalimar to begin with. But if I were to sell it I'd be sure to warn the buyer. Someone else might consider Shalimar complex enough that they don't want any part of it to smell less than perfect. Objectively the perfume would be accurately labeled as "partially spoiled" but wearable imo.

Dependent

Only from small decants when I didn't screw the cap on properly. Haven't had a bottle go bad yet
    Seasonal rotation:

Original Santal
    Apple Brandy
    Tuscan Leather
    Silver Mountain Water
    Lyric Man

My 10ml decant of Montale Black Aoud, pretty old. It was almost empty. I always keep my fragrance in my closet. but somehow this decant sits somewhere the small ray of sunlight could reach it, like, through that small gap of closet door. When I pick it up again it just smells rot, acidic, vomit and rose, not the oud goodness I always smell.

I fixed it with a full bottle.
    My current top 10 fragrances :
    1. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    2. A Lab on Fire Almost Transparent Blue
    3. YSL L'Homme Libre
    4. Tauer Perfumes L'Air du Desert Marocain
    5. Rania J. Ambre Loup
    6. Atelier Cologne Cedrat Enivrant
    7. Parfum MDCI Ambre Topkapi
    8. Imaginary Authors Memoirs of a Trespasser
    9. Heeley Sel Marin
    10. by Kilian Back to Black

I've purchased many bottles of 'vintage' perfumes and have only ever had 2 experiences where the fragrance has smelled so bad it was unwearable. The first was Oscar de la Renta Pour Homme - 50ml spray bottle - in its original box. It smelled a little musty in the top notes but after that smelled quite dirty and slightly urinous. This went straight in the bin (sorry Bigsly...!). A few years later I bought a smaller bottle of the same fragrance - same box etc - and this is fine. Smells amazing.

The second was a sample (in a glass spray decant bottle) of Aramis Devin - stale urine smell straight out of the bottle - very nasty! In the bin again..!

I'm sure that fragrances degrade over time but this degradation is exacerbated by the way it is stored. The composition is also surely a factor as some 'chemicals' will degrade differently to others. 'Spolied' can mean anything from, 'not smelling the way the perfumer intended' to smelling 'foul and unwearable'. Loss of topnotes wouldn't spoil a fragrance for me, if the drydown is intact, but I don't wish to smell like I've soiled myself and not bothered with a clean-up operation...!

Basenotes Plus

NO

Is it the fragrance or the nose? What do the manufacturers say?

Quote Originally Posted by SpentaZ View Post
    My 10ml decant of Montale Black Aoud, pretty old. It was almost empty. I always keep my fragrance in my closet. but somehow this decant sits somewhere the small ray of sunlight could reach it, like, through that small gap of closet door. When I pick it up again it just smells rot, acidic, vomit and rose, not the oud goodness I always smell.

Now this is odd because it was released not that long ago and this is a scent with a whole lot of reviews, and I don't remember anyone mentioning this kind of quality. My guess is you were sold a diluted/adulterated decant. I've gotten a couple of "home made" samples that seemed way off, not "spoiled," but just not right. As to what Derbyman said, vintage scents going bad to the point of what I'll call "skunky" must be incredibly rare, or else we'd see quite a few comments/reviews/posts that disclose this kind of perception. It's certainly not something a person who takes the time to write about a scent online (not being paid to do it either) would fail to mention.

For those who want even more on this subject, there is my recent blog post, which is a response to a recent FromPyrgos post, which I believe was written by BN member "HankHarvey."
    Last edited by Bigsly; 27th August 2014 at 09:43 PM.

There really isn't anything odd about ultraviolet radiation from direct sunlight causing the release of free radicals that increase the rate of oxidation.

Quote Originally Posted by SpentaZ View Post

These stark aoud fragrances from Montale often give me a rotten and acidic vibe.

It might be a matter of perception.

It's also not clear to me if you're smelling the sprayer or you're actually doing a skin test.

There really isn't anything odd about ultraviolet radiation from direct sunlight causing the release of free radicals that increase the rate of oxidation.
    Who is arguing against this? The question is how much does it usually degrade scents over the course of say 30 to 40 years? Did you read the Old Spice study that first appeared, TMK, on the Badger and Blade site? Don't you find that to be compelling?

Bought a few bottles from a hot climate and the juice from all of them smelled like a lab experiment gone wrong. Made me consider never wearing fragrance ever again. Figure the bottles must have been stored in a 100F+ degree warehouse. Forget lost top notes, smelling flat, etc, fragrances that have gone really bad smell really bad, and you sure as hell wouldn't want to wear them
    Last edited by pluran; 27th August 2014 at 11:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    Bought a few bottles from a hot climate and the juice from all of them smelled like a lab experiment gone wrong. Made me consider never wearing fragrance ever again. Figure the bottles must have been stored in a 100F+ degree warehouse. Forget lost top notes, smelling flat, etc, fragrances that have gone really bad smell really bad, and you sure as hell wouldn't want to wear them
    It would help us if you provides details, such as:

about how many?
    do you remember any of the names?
    sealed spray or splash bottles?
    size of the bottles?
    were they boxed, and if so, would light be able to get in, such as with Carven Homme?
    if not boxed, was the glass dark?
    how old do you think the bottles were at the time you purchased them?
    how long did you wait after application before you decided they were horrible smelling?
    did you wash the scent off and if so, how long after application?
    do you think you could describe the terrible smell better - was it "chemical nightmare," nail polish, rotten fruit, rotten eggs, etc.?

For those who don't know, in the Joint Pour Homme post at the FromPyrgos blog, the claim is that the opening is fine but the drydown is spoiled, which is a claim I have never heard from anyone before, so if anyone would like to speak to that (other than HankHarvey, since this is likely the same person) please share your thoughts.
    Last edited by Bigsly; 28th August 2014 at 03:42 AM.

It depends: some loose their top notes but mid and base notes are the same they used to be (Macassar). Others turn really bad to the point they become unwereable (Youth Dew, it was overrun by a strong fecal smell).

Others evaporate, the result is that top notes become really harsh (YSL pour Homme), others evaporate and are not affected at all (Shalimar belonging to my Grandmother, Royal Copenhagen after shave, it became and EdT). In one case it evaporated completely (Tabac Eau de Toilette)..

We have horribly hot weather during the Summer time, I can whiffs of some scents around during days with temperatures above 30 C.

If I had the place and money I'd store the ones I prefer in a cooler, the kind wines are stored in.

So far, storing bottles in the shade preserved them,
    Last edited by Pollux; 28th August 2014 at 03:41 AM.

Who is arguing against this?
    umm, you did. You argued that the sample was adulterated. You;ve also argued people are stupid, or that they can't smell correctly, or that they're lying. I stated that the physical laws of chemistry and thermodynamics aren't that weird, and basically, Occam's razor would suggest that people aren't all idiots or charlatans.

The question is how much does it usually degrade scents over the course of say 30 to 40 years?
    No, that isn't the question, most of the things discussed in this thread aren't 30 or 40 years old.

Did you read the Old Spice study that first appeared, TMK, on the Badger and Blade site?
    Maybe. I read one a few years back, but it has nothing to do with this discussion. IIRC, it was comparing an old bottle to a current P&G bottle and a current Shulton India bottle. They did GC or MS, don't remember which, but it had nothing, nothing, nothing at all to do with going bad. IT was trying to compare the three to see if the Shulton India bottles were truly the same as the vintage, and how different the P&G bottle was. That has nothing to do with the fragrance being good. You can't determine if an old bottle is good by comparing it to a new bottle from a different point of manufacture and from a different owner.

Don't you find that to be compelling?
    Of course not, and I just said why.

You have no evidence, only bias. You have no faith in others, only pedagogic correction and lecturing, again based on nothing. You are obstinate to anything and view all claims through a tainted lens of perceived obfuscation. No one who contradicts you can be honest, no proof that does not support your views can be verified.

While another person has already stated that they would not buy vintage from you based on your posts, I must now say that I would not buy from you, nor would I care to continue to read your bluster. Apparently no one but you, the true genius, seems to be able to piece together this conspiracy by a confederacy of dunces who claim their very own property, the fragrances they have smelled and you have not, was never anything less than perfect. The only way to prove it is through the granting of your approval after you have smelled it yourself.

In other words, I won't have to read you hawk your blog again or beg for "spoiled" niche at supreme discounts, as you can join hankharvey on my ignore list. Bye.

No, but lately I've become more and more concerned about this. My oldest bottle goes back maybe only 4 years, but I'm worried that everything will slowly start to break down around the 5 year mark and that around year 10 only about 25% of my frags will still be good.

I've got some Jovan Musk and Aspen by Quintessence, which was a brand that only lasted until 1993. It still smells fine to me. Chemical compositions can and will change over time, natural law dictates, but the incidence for fragrance appears pretty low if you do your part. The chance of a fragrance turning bad is just definitely a number higher than zero.

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    No, but lately I've become more and more concerned about this. My oldest bottle goes back maybe only 4 years, but I'm worried that everything will slowly start to break down around the 5 year mark and that around year 10 only about 25% of my frags will still be good.
    Well you've got me to sell them to, so don't be a stranger! LOL.

I have a bottle of YSL Baby Doll which smells a lot more sour than i remember. It could be just me learning to detect certain notes though, when i first got the bottle i was 18 years old and perfume all smelt the same ("sweet and perfumey"), so i guess my nose is more developed in distinguishing different scents now and hence smells different because it is picking up more notes? lol I dunno aye.

Quote Originally Posted by samsmells View Post
    I have a bottle of YSL Baby Doll which smells a lot more sour than i remember. It could be just me learning to detect certain notes though, when i first got the bottle i was 18 years old and perfume all smelt the same ("sweet and perfumey"), so i guess my nose is more developed in distinguishing different scents now and hence smells different because it is picking up more notes? lol I dunno aye.
    Something very similar happened to me the other day when I wore Joint Pour Homme. I hadn't worn it in months, and this time it was so camphorous (with just one and a half sprays to chest) that I had to really scrub the area sprayed, and even then it was still too strong. However, an hour or so later that quality was light enough so that I could finally enjoy the scent.

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    I would not worry about this. If you keep your stash with the lights on and in rapidly fluctuating temperatures, OK, then I would be worried, but I have kept everything I own in the dark (usually in the original boxes) and at room temperature (not even in a wine cooler) and I have vintage scents that have not altered one bit since I kept them in this way.

Over time, yes, everything will change and decay--but probably most of your fragrances will not do so in your lifetime, even if you just keep them in the dark and at a reasonably cool but constant room temperature.

As has been reiterated in this thread, citruses go bad more quickly, so I tend to use those up more liberally!

Quote Originally Posted by gtsb View Post
    I would not worry about this. If you keep your stash with the lights on and in rapidly fluctuating temperatures, OK, then I would be worried, but I have kept everything I own in the dark (usually in the original boxes) and at room temperature (not even in a wine cooler) and I have vintage scents that have not altered one bit since I kept them in this way.

Over time, yes, everything will change and decay--but probably most of your fragrances will not do so in your lifetime, even if you just keep them in the dark and at a reasonably cool but constant room temperature.

As has been reiterated in this thread, citruses go bad more quickly, so I tend to use those up more liberally!

Okay, thanks.

I've always kept everything in the dark with more or less stable temperatures all year round. I'm still fairly new to this so I appreciate hearing from someone who's had bottles hanging around for more than a few years!

Now this is odd because it was released not that long ago and this is a scent with a whole lot of reviews, and I don't remember anyone mentioning this kind of quality. My guess is you were sold a diluted/adulterated decant. I've gotten a couple of "home made" samples that seemed way off, not "spoiled," but just not right. As to what Derbyman said, vintage scents going bad to the point of what I'll call "skunky" must be incredibly rare, or else we'd see quite a few comments/reviews/posts that disclose this kind of perception. It's certainly not something a person who takes the time to write about a scent online (not being paid to do it either) would fail to mention.

For those who want even more on this subject, there is my recent blog post, which is a response to a recent FromPyrgos post, which I believe was written by BN member "HankHarvey."
    These stark aoud fragrances from Montale often give me a rotten and acidic vibe.

It might be a matter of perception.

It's also not clear to me if you're smelling the sprayer or you're actually doing a skin test.
    Skin test, I actually wear it to see if it just go bad on the top notes or the whole time, it's just the top notes. When it dries down it becomes the same fragrance I always enjoy.

The full bottle is a little bit more aoud-heavy with the same rose, but no rotten/acidic smell to my nose.

The decant was a clear glass bottle while full bottle was Montale's. I have experience on this subject just this one time. And I learned I should be more careful about storing fragrances.

Strange thing indeed.
    My current top 10 fragrances :
    1. Amouage Jubilation XXV
    2. A Lab on Fire Almost Transparent Blue
    3. YSL L'Homme Libre
    4. Tauer Perfumes L'Air du Desert Marocain
    5. Rania J. Ambre Loup
    6. Atelier Cologne Cedrat Enivrant
    7. Parfum MDCI Ambre Topkapi
    8. Imaginary Authors Memoirs of a Trespasser
    9. Heeley Sel Marin
    10. by Kilian Back to Black

umm, you did. You argued that the sample was adulterated. You;ve also argued people are stupid, or that they can't smell correctly, or that they're lying. I stated that the physical laws of chemistry and thermodynamics aren't that weird, and basically, Occam's razor would suggest that people aren't all idiots or charlatans.

No, that isn't the question, most of the things discussed in this thread aren't 30 or 40 years old.

Maybe. I read one a few years back, but it has nothing to do with this discussion. IIRC, it was comparing an old bottle to a current P&G bottle and a current Shulton India bottle. They did GC or MS, don't remember which, but it had nothing, nothing, nothing at all to do with going bad. IT was trying to compare the three to see if the Shulton India bottles were truly the same as the vintage, and how different the P&G bottle was. That has nothing to do with the fragrance being good. You can't determine if an old bottle is good by comparing it to a new bottle from a different point of manufacture and from a different owner.

Of course not, and I just said why.

You have no evidence, only bias. You have no faith in others, only pedagogic correction and lecturing, again based on nothing. You are obstinate to anything and view all claims through a tainted lens of perceived obfuscation. No one who contradicts you can be honest, no proof that does not support your views can be verified.

While another person has already stated that they would not buy vintage from you based on your posts, I must now say that I would not buy from you, nor would I care to continue to read your bluster. Apparently no one but you, the true genius, seems to be able to piece together this conspiracy by a confederacy of dunces who claim their very own property, the fragrances they have smelled and you have not, was never anything less than perfect. The only way to prove it is through the granting of your approval after you have smelled it yourself.

In other words, I won't have to read you hawk your blog again or beg for "spoiled" niche at supreme discounts, as you can join hankharvey on my ignore list. Bye.
    Your distortions are so gross that I welcome being placed on your ignore list. Have a nice life !