Code of Conduct

Default Name 3 Fragrances that the fragrance community loves, but you don't see the hype!

Ok I know a lot of people might get offended for me saying this but I just can't stand hermes terre d'hermes, Creed MI, and LIDGE. I've actually owned all 3 of these for a few years and tried very hard to like them but just can't. Lidge is a patchouli bomb on me with synthetic orange to my nose, MI smells like rotten fruits, musk and I find that melon note in there very synthetic and gross, and for terre d'hermes it is one of the only fragrances that I have to scrub off, the Iso E Super gives me the worst head ache and not a fan of the pencil shaving smell.
    So what are 3 Frags everyone loves that you hate?

Default Re: Name 3 Fragrances that the fragrance community loves, but you don't see the hype!

I wouldn't say hate, but I don't see the hype for LIDGE (decent frag though), Encre Noire (like sport better) and Chergui (also decent fragrance).
    Last edited by sjg3839; 18th August 2014 at 10:50 PM.

Default Re: Name 3 Fragrances that the fragrance community loves, but you don't see the hype!

Maybe Tobacco Vanille and Tuscan Leather which many seem to love but I personally dislike.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Chergui, [insert a popular Bond No. 9 here], and [insert another popular Bond No. 9 here].

Basenotes Junkie

Tom Ford Oud Wood
    Amouage Interlude man
    Creed Spice & Wood

It really depends on which community. In terms of Basenotes, Tobacco Vanille, Dior Homme Intense, and Aventus ( or insert any popular Creed, really ).

Sound Scents

I wouldn't classify my feelings as "hate", but none of these BN darlings are to my taste..:

Aventus
    by Creed
    Windsor by Creed (or alternately swap in 90%+ of the other offerings from the house that have a positive following)
    Dior Homme Intense
    Current Top Favorites:
    1) Portrait of a Lady original formula (EdP Frédéric Malle)
    2) Giorgio for Men vintage/V.I.P. for Men (Giorgio Beverly Hills)
    3) Dia Man vintage edt (Amouage)
    4) Les Nombres d'Or Vetyver (Mona di Orio) - tie
    4) Lalfeorosa (O'driù) - tie

6) Anat Fritz Original Formula and Classical (Anat Fritz)
    7) Captain vintage (Molyneux)
    8) Tzora (Anat Fritz)

Dior Homme Intense (I like the original)
    Tobacco Vanille
    La Nuit
    BRING BACK OUR GIRLS!

Tuscan Leather
    Chergui
    Guerlain Vetiver
    Tom Ford Oud Wood
    A*Men
    Puredistance M
    Most Amouages
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Vetiver Geranium, Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti) http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...Ess-de-Cerruti

Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome Private Collection, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Pure White Cologne, Vetiver Geranium, Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Xerjoff Uden, Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti) http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

The House Of Kilians... Creeds Erolfa... Most of the Amouage Fragrances... I don't hate any of these... I just don't get the hype...

Frag Bomb Squadron XVII

Just pick any 3 fragrances frequently recommended or talked about on BN. There are no universally loved fragrances so I really see little point in threads such as these. A fragrance is not necessarily 'hype' simply because someone doesn't share a similar enthusiasm with a larger community who happen to genuinely like the fragrance.

Vive la différence!

I see where you are coming from and agree. But I kinda do believe in hype there's frags that never get any love but then all of a sudden get all the talk and love when they get discontinued.

Narciso Rodriguez for Him - Raw emotion in a bottle, and not the good kind. Its wet, its dark. Its a large man with a comb over sporting a purple velvet jump suit wearing Drakkar Noir in the rain. Ripe.
    LIDGE and LIDG - Cocoa, orange and filth. Odd combination that works for many, but not me!
    FragReviews.com - A Fresh Perspective

For Sale - Niche & Designer - Bottles & Samples - Updated 9/17

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    Just pick any 3 fragrances frequently recommended or talked about on BN. There are no universally loved fragrances so I really see little point in threads such as these. A fragrance is not necessarily 'hype' simply because someone doesn't share a similar enthusiasm with a larger community who happen to genuinely like the fragrance.

Vive la différence!
    /end of thread

Difficult choice, since even the more underwhelming scents popular here usually have at least one, if not more redeeming aspects to them once their notes start to develop.

Would include Kouros, Chanel AHS and AMen on this list- but only bearing in mind that they may have been and partly still are popular here, but still not the most hyped. So just chose a few scents with more than decent reputation here (but not always overly hyped) that simply did not work that well for me so far.

Simple question that's hard to answer. But...Kouros. yuck. Tobacco Vanille. Good but why so much love? Very average. Chergui. OK but certainly not for me.
    My Favorites

1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

The IFRA can bite me!

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    ........Tobacco Vanille, Dior Homme Intense, and Aventus ( or insert any popular Creed, really ).
    Quote Originally Posted by drseid View Post
    Aventus
    by Creed
    Windsor by Creed (or alternately swap in 90%+ of the other offerings from the house that have a positive following)
    Dior Homme Intense
    Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430 View Post
    Tuscan Leather....
    Tom Ford Oud Wood....
    Puredistance M....
    The combined life experiences of most Tom Fords and Creeds still can't muster any real mystery or character.

Aventus - Dish washing liquid.
    Dior Homme Intense - Death by noisome vanilla.
    Puredistance M - They wanted a premium dry woods chypre, but within the tiresomely affable and confused woody oriental there's no there there.
    Bleu de Chanel - Who'd have thought Chanel would have become a second rate perfume house.

So many more but I'd rather look for the ones I like. :-)

OK, people, what are LIDGE and LIDG??

Directory contribution link:-
    http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php

La Nuit de l'Homme
    Spicebomb
    Bergamotto Marino/ Mugler cologne

tauer l'air du desert marocain. the more i try it the more i dislike it. the smell isnt horrible but as a cologne its just weird.

nasomatto black afghano. same as the other.

frederic malle musk ravageur. the opening is not a favourite for most people but i do think it smells kinda good. the drydown is even better. a pleasant smell. but its so sweet and the drydown makes it so much less unique then the opening. and then we havent started talking about the price.

i was reading the topic only. then you said that everyone loves which isnt the truth here. i only meant hyped ones.
    Last edited by Chados; 19th August 2014 at 03:50 PM.

L'Instant De guerlain Extreme = lidge

Quote Originally Posted by Poohdini View Post
    So what are 3 Frags everyone loves that you hate?

frags that are kinda low key but are loved by the community (judging by the lack of its appearance at the sales thread)

1) Paesteum rose: very underrated and one of the most interesting rose scents i have ever sniffed

LIDGE was in vogue and was a hot topic a while back. a lot of fragrance reviewers on youtube covered that.

cant think of the other 2. :P
    seeking mitsouko 50ml's cap....desperately!!

How much spare time do you have?

Well, yes -- this could take for ever

Every time the Allure (+ flankers) and Bleu fanboys chip in, I get very edgy.

I think they are symptomatic of all that is wrong about 'masculine' fragrances. Chanel have enough funds and expertise to really make a difference, but they just can't be bothered and are more interested in their shareholders.

-CAEB (synthetic)
    -LIDGE (orange +cocoa disaster)
    -tobacco vanille (it's ok)
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Montale Black Aoud
    Bentley Intense (not bad but the hype was HUGE here so my expectations were high)
    Bleu de Chanel

Will upload the compressed file very soon...

Tobacco Vanille for sure, it's just not my thang.
    Also don't understand the hype for Pure Distance M. I mean it's a good fragrance, but I found it too straight forward. I prefer more complexity and evolution throughout the day.
    Then I guess just insert any Amouage fragrance here for the third one.
    Sales thread here

Insert any Montale
    Insert any Tom Ford
    Insert any Creed
    My current top five:

Yohji Yamamoto - Yohji Homme (vtg)
    Boucheron - Jaipur Homme
    Serge Lutens - Fumerie Turque
    Hermès - Equipage (vtg)
    YSL - M7 (vtg)

My fragrance reviews | http://yeoldecivetcat.blogspot.it/

In general, I don't care for Creed. I once tried an old batch of SMW with little tea, but lots of blackcurrant.. It was pure awesome. The newer batches are quite horrid IMO. MI is ok. Aventus is not to my taste either.

Kouros is one that I have a tough time with.

LIDG and LIDGE to some extent as well.

La Nuit - This. its not bad - but to me not all that special of a scent and very fleeting

Heck even Burberry London - not a monster hype but one often mentioned - and while its an enjoyable scent - nothing wildly special to me

Chanel Bleue!! and one million intense.

Spicebomb. It generally seems to be getting great reviews, so when I tried it, I was surprised that it kinda turned out to be a very sweet fragrance that didn't seem particularly sophisticated, and didn't last long. I didn't hate it, but I just expected... something more intense and interesting.

Still have yet to try A*Men... very curious whether I'll fall into the love or hate camp

Add spicebomb to the list as well.

Montale Black Aoud
    Serge Lutens Chergui
    Most all Muglers

Knize 10 - Any vintage leather does it.
    Narciso Rodriguez Musk for Him - synthetic musks galore.
    Any Bond - improved takes on popular fragrances at exorbitant prices.

Slumberhouse <<insert flavor of the month here>>
    Knize 10
    Dior Leather Oud
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    by Kilian - Straight to Heaven
    5. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    6. Puredistance - Black
    7. Tom Ford - Plum Japonais
    8. Neela Vermeire - Trayee
    9. Creed - Royal Oud
    10. Chanel - Egoiste

Montecristo
    Invasion Barbare
    Aventus
    Dior Homme
    Blackbird
    Almost the entire house of Chanel
    Any Gucci fragrance

All of the A*men scents
    Tobacco Vanille
    All the Amouage except Gold, Silver and Dia

Hmmm.
    I'd have to say Kouros, I SERIOUSLY view this as a chivvy cheap scent, not worth the hype

dior Fahrenheit again, I own some, but it's just blaghhhhh boots special

Any of the Penhaligon range, they're all musty mixed up horrid smells, not worthy of their status.
    My frag list top ten (which changes pretty regular!)
    1- Creed Royal Oud
    2- Creed Aventus
    3- Acqua di Parma Oud concentree
    4- Bvlgari Man in Black
    5- Amouage Fate Man
    6- Nasomatto Duro
    7- Jean Paul DuPont Oud d'or
    8- Ormonde Jayne Nawab of Oudh
    9- Nasomatto Black Afgano
    10- Shay&blue Oud Alif

(Yes, I'm an Oud addict!)