Code of Conduct

Thread: Scent Trunk!

Dependent

Default Scent Trunk!

Well, well... after the girls have had their Birchbox for so long, the guys apparently get to join in some of the fun. Caught a FragranceBros video a few days ago, and Daver was introducing Scent Trunk on Youtube. A quick search showed nothing on Basenotes, so I wanted to provide an unsolicited highlight here with the the forum. I believe they cater to both the ladies and gents, so I"m posting this in the General forum.

I got my first box today, and I have to say it was well worth the subscription, at least in this initial package. The sell is that for a flat $15/mo you will receive 3 samples selected by the Scent Trunk folks, but based on a set of questions answered online upon signing up to determine your preferences.

I was skeptical, admittedly, about the fragrances that I might receive. However, based on my preferences I actually got 3 that seem pretty aligned with my likes, and of good quality - and only 1 of them from a house I've previously been exposed to. So I'm quite happy to get a chance to sniff something on the cheap that I otherwise wouldn't have bumped into.

The 3 scents in my box this first time:
    • Cognescenti: No. 8
    • Dueto Parfums: City Oud (same house as Golden Boy)
    • Olympic Orchids: Dev One

Each sample is 1.5 - 3ml it looks like, plenty to have a couple of decent test wearings. Even if none of them end up being FB purchases, it's worth the meager fee to be exposed to some more good fragrances that I don't know about, and hopefully at least a few of them over time are bottle-worthy.

Here are some quick snaps of the packaging, as I opened it, which I thought was quite nicely done, including a handwritten thank you and a breakdown of each fragrance's notes (nice touches). Kudos to Scent Trunk on this offering, and here's wishing good luck to them in this endeavor.

Oh, and thanks Daver @ FragBros for this heads-up!

14778506560_4a9fce0709_z.jpg
    14778507759_f9a2d1cf99_z.jpg
    14778518589_2d0f21147f_z.jpg
    14964854072_ebba7387c7_z.jpg
    14965194985_7aab04ee56_z.jpg
    14962101891_6189568c58_z.jpg

Default Re: Scent Trunk!

Thanks for sharing this info.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Yes thank you! And the fragbros are awesome always make me laugh lol

Basenotes Plus

Thanks for posting this.

Scent Trunk posted a small discount code for the first month so I figured I'd give it a chance. The presentation looks nice, we'll see how good the product they send out is.

A pretty good idea. Their business should do well.
    Currently wearing: Invictus by Paco Rabanne

Yes, I heard of Dave'ster minus Jeremy as of late ..boy!! They were a good combo but Dave is still keeping it strong...have not seen this video though and I thank you for sharing as I didn't know about this venue, maybe I'll give a try but I would hate to receive scents I already own or experience for it would be a shame but this venue is terrific for those who are recent to mid expose to scents out there or to those who have a hard time getting to a brick & mortar or have a hard time finding scents whom to love or have not arrive at meticulously knowing their favorite notes or blends to experience etc...to subscribe to...this stuff is basically to A DEGREE the "netflix" of scents.....if you love the movie then go out and buy it....lolThe only difference is nextflix is 7.99usd and scent trunk is $15.00 ...lol
    Last edited by magnus611; 19th August 2014 at 01:59 PM.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Basenotes Plus

There's an article here.
    Directory contribution link:-
    http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php

Thanks indeed for the info. Looks quite well diversified and structure, also the presentation looks classy.
    Currently wearing: Citrus & Wood by Yardley

Thanks for this info...

Interesting quiz for creating the profile. Wonder if you can then get it tweaked. Mine really wasn't heavy enough on the dry woods.

Dependent

Quote Originally Posted by Darjeeling View Post
    Interesting quiz for creating the profile. Wonder if you can then get it tweaked. Mine really wasn't heavy enough on the dry woods.
    I noticed that they request feedback to fine tune the offering. It'd be worthwhile inquiring about this at their website. Looks like this may be a valid link to do that:

http://scenttrunk.com/contactus/

Basenotes Plus

I received my Scent Trunk package today. I also got Dev One and City Oud, but my third is Patchouli Creme from Esscentual Alchemy. So far I am very happy with the service. Whether or not I actually received $15 worth of fragrance is debatable, but the samples combined with the excitement and experience was well worth it. I think I'll keep it active for another month.

Default Scent Trunk - share your experience

I signed up for Scent Trunk a couple weeks ago... Today I received my first 3 samples which included:

Sexual Steel by: Michel Germaine
    Smells a bit generic and safe. Definitely a budget fragrance.

Bourbon by: Demeter Fragrances
    Cat urine with a gentle splash of rubbing alcohol. Absolutely rancid... I think perhaps the sample fermented or went very bad.

Citiver by: Dueto Parfums
    Not too bad. Reminds me of the rental shoes when I go bowling.

Needless to say, I cancelled my subscription. Scenttruck is not really a bad idea, but perhaps for a fragrance junky, I would prefer to spend $15 to test out my own selection. After all, I find that researching and sampling my own choices is all part of the fun.

How has your experience been?
    Currently wearing: New York Oud by Bond No. 9

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: Scent Trunk - share your experience

I subscribed as well - I'll let you know once they arrive!

Quote Originally Posted by Texas View Post
    I would prefer to spend $15 to test out my own selection. After all, I find that researching and sampling my own choices is all part of the fun.
    Agree with you.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Dependent

I commented previously on my first Scent Trunk experience in this thread: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/386934-Scent-Trunk!

I won't go back over the same stuff again, but overall my first package was definitely worth it. Who knows what will happen in subsequent packages, but at this point I'm willing to stick with it for a while.

Also, it's a very good point about exploring your own samples. I agree fundamentally with that. However, my hope in signing up with Scent Trunk was actually exactly the opposite - that maybe they'd be able to introduce me to a few fragrances that I might not have heard about, or don't have easy access to. So far, so good.

As always though, thanks for the candid feedback, either way it goes the Basenotes community benefits.

Never heard of this before. While it sounds interesting in theory, it is not something I would be interested in signing up for. I really don't have time for that.
    Currently wearing: Santal 33 by Le Labo

Meh, interesting idea & neat, but it looks like mostly designer & lower brand stuff. I can easily order those types of samples for less on eBay & get exactly what I want. If it was $8 or maybe $10 it might be a bit more interesting (or if the sample brands were better).

I did the survey for my scent profile, and it didn't really throw up scents in the area that I normally like. Not that there's anything wrong with being challenged and having your horizons broadened, but as a bit of a newby to this hobby I'm still exploring scents with specific features that I know I love.

Thanks for sharing. To these fragrances defense, my wife said they all smelled better then the original A*Men... She hates when I wear it.
    Currently wearing: New York Oud by Bond No. 9

Basenotes Plus

Hi!

Just merging with the existing thread in order to keep all of the info. in one place.

Thanks.
    Directory contribution link:-
    http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php

Frag Bomb Squadron XIII

Clearly, their service is not targeted at fragrance junkies like us. We can just as easily get a similar thrill by ordering a sample grab bag from the likes of Perfumed Court /StC. While the packaging and personalized note are nice, I wonder if their subscription model suit their target customers - regular guys who just want to get a nice bottle of fragrance and be done with it. But if they turn these guys into fragrance geeks, then perhaps BN should support them.

Anyone fancy starting a UK version? Three samples for £10 per month?

Basenotes Plus

Received mine in the mail. Very pleased with packaging and presentation, and enjoyed the scents. I get good value here. Looked up the retail on the selections and we make out.

Just signed up, but I'm hoping it's a lot more than their featured brands. I don't have any desire to ever own a Demeter fragrance.

Illum Dean is one of their featured brands. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!!!!!!

I'll be curious to see how this goes for those who sign up, but I'll pass. I'm skeptical. $15 seems pricey for 3 samples that aren't of my choosing.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post

I'll be curious to see how this goes for those who sign up, but I'll pass. I'm skeptical. $15 seems pricey for 3 samples that aren't of my choosing.
    Totally agree with the above! ))

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post

$15 is very pricey for 3 small samples. Anytime you pay a monthly service fee the items you receive should be worth double or more what you pay. Someone mentioned receiving Dueto samples which you can get from them directly at a very fair price or free if you're on their mailing list. The other brands like Demeter, Ilum Dean, Michael Germain can be found on EBay for next to nothing for a FB.

Sent from Richard's Ipad

Frag Bomb Squadron XIII

Quote Originally Posted by silentrich View Post
    $15 is very pricey for 3 small samples. Anytime you pay a monthly service fee the items you receive should be worth double or more what you pay. Someone mentioned receiving Dueto samples which you can get from them directly at a very fair price or free if you're on their mailing list. The other brands like Demeter, Ilum Dean, Michael Germain can be found on EBay for next to nothing for a FB.

Sent from Richard's Ipad
    True. How else are they going to turn a profit or cover their overheads? But without additional sources of revenue it does appear their current business model will be difficult to sustain in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondflame View Post
    True. How else are they going to turn a profit or cover their overheads? But without additional sources of revenue it does appear their current business model will be difficult to sustain in the long run.
    Unless, of course, it's one man operation. Lol

*double post*

Why So Serious?

I'm very impressed with Scent Trunk, a good company that cares about their customers and really cares about the topics of fragrances in general (mostly for men I think). The samples are generous and the packaging is very well presented. I am very happy with my subscription.

I also saw their introduction video on Youtube, which was simple but to the point.
    Last edited by HackerX; 17th November 2014 at 03:00 PM.
    Current top 5:
    1. MDCI Chypre Palatin
    2. Roja Dove Enigma Parfum Pour Homme
    3. Roja Dove Vetiver Extrait
    4. Guerlain Arsene Lupin (Dandy)
    5. Puredistance M

Decants for swap: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/403...mples-for-Swap
    Currently wearing: Black Afgano by Nasomatto