Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: $4000 to spare on colognes! What would you buy?

thats a lot of money to put out on colognes during such a short amount if time. i think even if you easily can afford it you should test them out and buy a few first. india is a really hot country too so going for these gourmands and winterscents might not be the best choice. are you sure youre gonna use all of them? millesime imperial is a great summerscent for your weather. angel men will be very strong in 30c+

OP. I suggest if you have this sort of money to spend on fragrances that you search out very rare and collectable scents that are hard to find.
    MY STEALTHY FREEDOM.

Dear god, unless your planning on bathing in bottles of cologne, your never going to be able to go through 4000 dollars worth of cologne. Heck my dads from India, and Ive been there, the heat will ruin half of them before you get close to finishing them. Unless your buying a fridge to store these in ( And im not talking about a mini fridge) , you'll be throwing the money away.

You can't go wrong with Creeds, buy as many as four thousand will get you and I doubt you'll be unhappy with any of them. If you like more intense rich scents you could do the same with Serge Lutens.

I'd probably buy everything on my sales threads (below). LOL....
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, The Vert) http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...erruti-TheVert

Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Himalaya & other Basenotes favorites (Spicebomb, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, The Vert) http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Start experimenting with real oud oils. But more realistically I'd probably spend it on travel or hifi.
    Signature Scent

hmmmmm....

A huge bottle of Helmet Lang Cuiron
    Xerjoff Nio
    Xerjoff Kobe
    Jill Sander Absolute
    PPH
    Patou Pour Homme Prive (if I could ever find a bottle)
    CURRENT TOP TEN FOR FALL/WINTER:
    1.) Helmut Lang Cuiron (Vintage)
    2.) Tiffany for men (Vintage)
    3.) Bel Ami Vetiver
    4.) New York Intense
    5.) Nicolai Carre d'as
    6.) Cartier Declaration Essence
    7.) Frederick Malle's VE/Sycomore
    8.) Houbigant Fougere Royale
    9.) L'Homme Sage
    10.) Bond no. 9 Scent of Peace

Purchase the two best or your 2 favorites from these 10 houses. That will do it.

Creed
    Armani Prive Collection
    Tom Ford Private Blend
    Le Labo
    Oriza Legrand
    Comme des Garcons
    Andy Tauer
    Guerlain
    By Killian
    Maison Francis Kurkdjian

Buy a fridge first. Then use the remainder on fragrances.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Boss View Post
    Buy a fridge first. Then use the remainder on fragrances.
    lol . I thought the exact same thing unless he already had a fridge/ cooler

Quote Originally Posted by Buzzlepuff View Post
    Purchase the two best or your 2 favorites from these 10 houses. That will do it.

Creed
    Armani Prive Collection
    Tom Ford Private Blend
    Le Labo
    Oriza Legrand
    Comme des Garcons
    Andy Tauer
    Guerlain
    By Killian
    Maison Francis Kurkdjian
    The voice of reason...

for swap/sale:

Some Guerlains, Vero Kerns & maybe couple of Roja Doves,
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    I'm suddenly craving pan & achari ghosh.
    Not in that order though.
    I don't know why that made me laugh so hard.

Basenotes Plus

L'Air du Desert Marocain
    Sycomore
    Tuscan Leather
    Italian Cypress
    Plum Japonais
    Derby
    Amber Russe
    Amber 114
    Incense Oud
    New York
    Jubilation XXV
    Gucci PH I
    Jardin d'Amalfi
    Aventus

Dhanal Ood Al Nafees, by Rasasi. Although it probably smells like manure.

Blog Entries

Seriously, get some vintage Acqua di Parma Profumo parfum in the dark red box. You won't regret it.

One can't buy taste. One must develop it with experience over time. Wearing what other people recommend without sampling first is like being an actor who knows the lines and imitates the role, but is not really the genuine article. Sample and develop your own tastes. Recommendations would be based on what specific kinds of accords and notes you're looking for, to help narrow your own personal search.

Quote Originally Posted by cytherian View Post
    One can't buy taste. One must develop it with experience over time. Wearing what other people recommend without sampling first is like being an actor who knows the lines and imitates the role, but is not really the genuine article. Sample and develop your own tastes. Recommendations would be based on what specific kinds of accords and notes you're looking for, to help narrow your own personal search.
    It's very difficult to get certain samples in my country. Creed fragrances are pretty difficult to find in stores and same thing with Tom Ford. I found one importer recently and he had packed boxes without any samples. He told me that the only way I'd get to smell it was to buy the box lol.

Designer fragrances can be found, but not every single one. The websites which sell samples, are usually US based and the standard delivery charge to my country falls in the range of $35-$60. Plus, not every website is offering the exact collection of colognes I need either, so ordering from different people means multiple deliveries.

So with that in mind, I have shortlisted a few colognes and will probably have to go blind.

P.S I realized that $4k isn't really that big of an amount. Just the creeds and tom fords could eat it all up in no time.
    Last edited by sahil; 20th August 2014 at 06:22 PM.

Would buy a Martin D'35 and a Fender Telecaster and a VOX AC30.

I would have my head examined before spending 4K on perfume.

Quote Originally Posted by Jonty Coppersmith View Post
    And here comes another one...Sigh!

That's from your own limited perspective. Some people are financially VERY well off and have that kind of disposable income. A few notable people here have this well established (no need to list names--they telegraph themselves rather well with very expensive buys frequently reported). It's easy to deride it when you can't relate...

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by sahil View Post
    And here comes another one...Sigh!

Had you thought of having something custom made?
    Directory contribution link:-
    http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php

I would very much like to have my head examined and then spend 4k on perfume. I would buy all the perfumery ingredients needed to get on with lots of superb projects to do much good. Can't think of anything better.

4K on seriously decent fragrances doesn't get you far. One bottle of Bentley in the fine lalique plus presentation box (£3,500) plus one Dove (£495 for 100mls) and a fiver change or between 10 and 40 bottles of smart niche.

I've had my head examined (many times) and still spend on fragrances. Go figure.

Quote Originally Posted by sahil View Post
    It's very difficult to get certain samples in my country. Creed fragrances are pretty difficult to find in stores and same thing with Tom Ford. I found one importer recently and he had packed boxes without any samples. He told me that the only way I'd get to smell it was to buy the box lol.

Designer fragrances can be found, but not every single one. The websites which sell samples, are usually US based and the standard delivery charge to my country falls in the range of $35-$60. Plus, not every website is offering the exact collection of colognes I need either, so ordering from different people means multiple deliveries.

So with that in mind, I have shortlisted a few colognes and will probably have to go blind.

P.S I realized that $4k isn't really that big of an amount. Just the creeds and tom fords could eat it all up in no time.
    In that case I suggest spending the money on a beautiful trip. Once there, sample a few different things and buy one or two. Those scents will forever remind you of that trip.

Go to the district of Kannauj where some of the best perfumers in the world reside. You will get the best perfumes made for you in the world at that price. We spend a fortune getting them from there and it is right on your doorstep, whilst you look far away and overlook the treasures at your feet. Ironic isn't it?

Whilst you are there, if I could request that you purchase me some more Mitti, I will recompense you.

Blog Entries

I have easily spent this amount of money on my stash. I don't see why, if there is a budget up front, it should be spent all at once, however. I, personally, would go slowly and try a lot of different things to see which direction I'd like to go.

That would be a good investment but 4000 would probably only be a good start.

So, based on the social feedback and popular opinion, I've made quite a few orders and they're getting shipped slowly. I received Dior Homme Intense today and the popular opinion was absolutely spot on with this one. Absolutely amazing smell.

Creed Aventus is expected next followed by a bunch of Tom ford's and many more scents.

P.S With Dior Homme Intense, I tried it on my wrist and the projection seems a little weak. It's a little too close to the skin. Is that normal?

^ Dior Homme Intense is a good one, very well regarded and popular. It shouldn't have weak projection. However, keep in mind that some people do become anosmic to it after exposure for a while. So while you don't think you smell anything, other people will. And that's the danger... you can end up over-applying. You may also want to apply a little to your clothes. I'm not quite sure how it works, but you'll find it easier to perceive... maybe something to do with absence of skin temperature.

^ Dior Homme Intense is a good one, very well regarded and popular. It shouldn't have weak projection. However, keep in mind that some people do become anosmic to it after exposure for a while. So while you don't think you smell anything, other people will. And that's the danger... you can end up over-applying. You may also want to apply a little to your clothes. I'm not quite sure how it works, but you'll find it easier to perceive... maybe something to do with absence of skin temperature.
    It's been a few hours after application and the base is absolutely epic. It's much more louder now somehow. I believe, you're correct about the exposure. Someone did point out that they smell a very strong cologne on me lol.

Some people are financially VERY well off and have that kind of disposable income.
    Then they could travel, or sample profusely, or have something made to order, if they have that kind of discretionary income and cared a whit. Flying out to meet with Rubinacci is not the same as buying a half dozen fused Boss suits at regular price, even though the money spent would be similar. It isn't that the money itself is such a massive amount, but the overall tact of asking for a list all in one go from strangers around the globe with no context outside of wanting compliments does not strike as serious or prudent. And for anyone with a passion for fragrance, such a request seems based off entirely incorrect motivations, no matter the dollar figure.

Basenotes Plus

Perhaps a greater passion for perfume will result from experiencing the purchases.

Quote Originally Posted by Lomaniac View Post
    Then they could travel, or sample profusely, or have something made to order, if they have that kind of discretionary income and cared a whit.
    Yes, one could do that. But that once again goes back to the whole argument of different people do different things when put into a certain circumstance. Some people in this post said that they would save up most of the cash and spend a little of scents, some said they would travel and some even talked about the type of guitars they would buy with that money.

Once again, they talk about their own views on what they would like to do. Would I travel to different countries just to sample colognes? Maybe not! My goal is to smell good, however, I am not at a point where I could be classified as a pro collector. It might or might not develop the same amount of passion for fragrances as some of the veterans on this forum.

However, the point I am trying to make is this - Different people will talk about what they'd personally do with a certain situation. That doesn't mean the other person would prefer to do the same thing. But, once again, I would like to agree with most people that what I've asked for here does sound outlandish or weird. Nonetheless, to me, this seems like the best way to get great opinions on prospective colognes to add to my list.
    Last edited by sahil; 22nd August 2014 at 06:47 PM.

OP,

Have fun and report back your reviews on what you bought. Don't let the Debbie Downers rain on your parade. One tip. Start getting feedback from wife,girlfriend,friends, or kids on projection, longevity, and scent. As someone mentioned, you have bought some potent colognes and its easy to get anosmic to them and think that they aren't working. Good luck!!
    Daytime
    Dior Homme Sport (2012)
    YSL L'Homme
    Terre d'Hermès Parfum
    L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme

Nighttime
    Dior Homme Intense
    YSL La Nuit de L'Homme
    Bentley For Men Intense
    Midnight in Paris
    V&R Spicebomb

'Tis better to buy a great fragrance at a cheap price, than a cheap fragrance at a great price...

Basenotes Plus

Definitely agree - good luck & enjoy yourself sahil - that's what matters here imo.

I would get a 30ml Tribute attar. The original white box.

Some popular Montales including Black Aoud and Aour Cuir d'Arabie

If you look around on places like eBay, you can buy entire sample sets of whole lines for about $100. I'm not spamming, I promise, but I've got entire lines like Malle, Kilian, Ford, Chanel Exclusifs, Hermessence, Byredo, etc all for sale at reasonable prices. It shouldn't cost that much to get samples and just try them out. You could spend $300-500 and get 50-100 samples of most of this stuff instead of whole bottles. It's not that hard to find.

otherwise also yes, just check out the basenotes directory and search in a few directions like most reviews, highest rankings, etc. look up fifi awards for the past 3-5 years, etc...
    Tom Ford Splits!!!!
    Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Noir de Noir, Oud Wood
    Plum Japonais,
    Lavender Palm, Tobacco Oud, Café Rose, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Well, as I said, it is your money, so spend as you see fit. The disconnect though, I believe, is the idea of "smelling good". You may notice taht some scents generate some extremely conflicting reviews, even the highest ranked for compliments. With a little more input from you in what you personally like, I think members would feel better about making more targeted suggestions about fragrance that both draws compliments and satisfies your own scent proclivities outside of compliment seeking.

More than anything, I believer it is the compounding of notions that you will spend all the money at once, taken from the specified dollar amount given up front, and on a large variety of fragrance, intimated by the discussion of a collection and asking the community at large for a variety of suggestions - meaning you could immediately end up with a sizable collection of scents and not like many of them, which would be a waste for anyone, even at the lowest cost relative to personal wealth.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    If you look around on places like eBay, you can buy entire sample sets of whole lines for about $100. I'm not spamming, I promise, but I've got entire lines like Malle, Kilian, Ford, Chanel Exclusifs, Hermessence, Byredo, etc all for sale at reasonable prices. It shouldn't cost that much to get samples and just try them out. You could spend $300-500 and get 50-100 samples of most of this stuff instead of whole bottles. It's not that hard to find.

otherwise also yes, just check out the basenotes directory and search in a few directions like most reviews, highest rankings, etc. look up fifi awards for the past 3-5 years, etc...

This is seems logical.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Lomaniac View Post
    More than anything, I believer it is the compounding of notions that you will spend all the money at once, taken from the specified dollar amount given up front, and on a large variety of fragrance, intimated by the discussion of a collection and asking the community at large for a variety of suggestions - meaning you could immediately end up with a sizable collection of scents and not like many of them, which would be a waste for anyone, even at the lowest cost relative to personal wealth.
    But why should that matter to anyone if that's what the O.P. wishes to do?

Because they may genuinely want to help? They might think their personal opinions matter a little, especially when solicited? They might not want to see him disappointed?

I hate to say this, but keep in mind the "most complimented/favorite fragrances" that you see here, can be somewhat different than those you will see outside the community. I try to sample and then get opinions from the females within my sphere of influence. If the ladies dont like them, its a non starter for me, anyway. And the sampling idea is a VERY good one. Put your nose on hundreds/thousands of scents and the few that WOW you become bottle worthy. With $4000 to spend you could acquire maybe a 6 year supply of scents and never wear the same one twice, until you find your holy grail. I am new and only have 4 bottles, but I have over a 100 different samples (most freebies) as of yesterday. Collecting and acquiring them is almost as much fun as wearing them. I have to get a few dozen more this weekend.
    Last edited by SmellyFinger; 23rd August 2014 at 12:22 AM.
    Daytime
    Dior Homme Sport (2012)
    YSL L'Homme
    Terre d'Hermès Parfum
    L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme

Nighttime
    Dior Homme Intense
    YSL La Nuit de L'Homme
    Bentley For Men Intense
    Midnight in Paris
    V&R Spicebomb

'Tis better to buy a great fragrance at a cheap price, than a cheap fragrance at a great price...

Quote Originally Posted by SmellyFinger View Post
    I hate to say this, but keep in mind the "most complimented/favorite fragrances" that you see here, can be somewhat different than those you will see outside the community.
    I have kept this in mind. I know that most of the folks on this forum have a very mature nose. I am not just looking at the reviews within this community, but also a bunch of other websites and also popular opinion. I am basically sticking to safe smells.

Plus, all the recommendations so far within this post have been absolutely spot on. So I am thankful to everyone for that.
    Last edited by sahil; 23rd August 2014 at 03:38 AM.

I believe the OP might not be interested in spending days and days on searching vintage treasures, so I keep it to what are readily available. Also, I'm not just listing my favorite fragrances, that would be pointless. While I wear fragrances for different reasons, I can understand your purpose.

If I had to name two houses that are currently offering interesting great quality fragrances that are also very wearable, I'd say Frederic Malle and Chanel les Exclusifs. From Malle, Musc Ravageur is great night scent, Vetiver Extraordinnaire, Geranium Pour Monsieur, French Lover and Bigarade Concentree are easier to wear yet not boring or usual at all. Every Malle scent has clear direction and concept, execution is also always excellent. Many older houses are in trouble because of the ever increasing restrictions. It seems to me that Malle are smart at not trying to find synthetic counterparts to banned ingredients but rather use what they have available. This possibly accounts for their modern style. I've never selled a Malle scent, this is quite unusual for me. Almost always when years go by I spot some minor flaw in a fragrance which begins to annoy me more and more. Modern Guerlains is a good example. To my mind there is no doubt that historically speaking Guerlain is the greatest house, but they aren't what they used to be. Slowly but surely I've selled every Guerlain that isn't vintage.

Chanel's les Exclusifs is another very strong modern house. It's as if they've finally given Jacques Polge free hands to do what he wants. For me Eau de Cologne and Sycomore are the definitive fragrances in their categories, that is, classic cologne and smoky vetiver. 28 La Pausa is also my go-to iris fragrance. Coromandel is superb sweet chocolate-y patchouli. Again, all of these fragrances are extremely wearable. There might be some more complex or interesting fragrances out there, but these are the kind of fragrances one is bound to wear often - and something people around you can also appreciate.

Given that you are interested in your image, I have to say that row of 200 ml Chanel les Exclusifs would look fantastic in your bathroom (or where ever). Same can be said about Malle. Both bottles are very classy in their simplicity.

Blog Entries

Be careful about buying bottles that look good as they should always be stored in a cool, dark place.

I agree kumquat, to a certain degree. The fragrances I wear often and that can be replaced I keep on my bathroom shelf. Absolutely impossible for sunlight to get in and temperature is always very close to 20 celsius. My rare vintage gems I store differently, just in case. Although I've never heard any evidence that artificial light in itself damages fragrances, rather the heat the lamps generate - or used to generate back in the day.

I would buy as many Roja Parfums as I could:

Amber Aoud Absolue Précieux - $1250
    Aoud Absolue Précieux - $1250
    Musk Aoud Parfum 30ml - $480
    Creation-E Parfum pour Homme - $480
    Amber Extrait - $395
    Gardenia Candle - $115

$3970 in total.

Here is the collection so far, this also includes quite a few amateur purchases I made back in the day when I knew little about colognes...Now waiting for deliveries of some niche fragrances that I bought.

collection1.jpg

In order to really assist you the best way. As you try each one, then please report your findings and perhaps a personal rating. Then we can steer you in a better way to something you will really enjoy. Maybe even to get to 'the one'.

It is very hard to steer someone to make a good purchase, especially if they are determined not to purchase samples. Even though you might not find the money a huge amount, many of us do, and although we josh a little, we would seriously not like to see you waste good money if you don't enjoy the end result. That would just be a pity. In spite of the gentle teasing, most of us would wish you to buy a really lovely collection that you really genuinely enjoy rather than a bunch of smart looking fragrances that you hate after a while.

There are so very many to choose from and we can help you get it so right with a bit of feedback.

I would budget $300 for carefully selected samples, then purchase the ones you liked.

I would buy a round trip ticket to Paris and spend the rest on whatever I can get my hands on.

Quote Originally Posted by sophisticatedscent View Post
    I've had my head examined (many times) and still spend on fragrances. Go figure.
    Ok, that was good. Good! Now that you've said that, how does it make you feel to hear yourself saying that?

Quote Originally Posted by Wheatstraw2 View Post
    Ok, that was good. Good! Now that you've said that, how does it make you feel to hear yourself saying that?
    I think there's a little tongue-in-cheek going on there.

In one month, I tallied up my spending on fragrances and was shocked that I exceeded $700. I work mostly from home and rely upon my laptop computer rather significantly. My older laptop suffered a calamity and is no longer functional. So... if my current laptop were to fail, I'd be in serious trouble. I'd have to run out to Best Buy and buy a new computer (at full retail) so that I'd have something pronto. On the other hand, with so many people going to tablets, there are some screaming used laptop deals out there. You can pick up some extremely competent fine condition models for around $250. When considering that a 100ml bottle of Amouage at full retail costs more, it draws one to consider value. "Working Great Quality Laptop" <==> "$250 niche perfume".

I'd take the time to source some still sealed vintage bottles of all of the perfumes which I love and which are now no longer produced, and then stockpile the few fragrances that I know I will never be able to buy again and which I already know make me happy. Then I'd find a way of affording a big fridge upon which I can set the temperature properly and store them all until I may want the perfumes.

If there's any left over I'd buy samples, lots and lots of samples, to widen my fragrance knowledge and experience.
    'I suggest we learn to love ourselves before it's made illegal.'

Sahil... this has been a long thread and I must admit I have been too lazy to read all posts.
    India is a large country with stifling heat and humidity in many areas, but also a cooler climate in some northern / mountainous areas.
    Some Basenoters don't care about the climate when wearing fragrances, but others (such as myself) do select fragrances depending on the climate. Personally, I find some fragrances cloying in the heat and humidity.
    Do you have a preference for fresh fragrances, or is this unimportant to you?

Edit: Also... India is a "land of burning incense" (I mean this in a good way... I loved smelling incense everywhere I turned. It's a wonderful part of Indian culture). Does this make you want to avoid fragrances with heavy use of incense?
    Vetiver is a note that works well in the heat but can be a challenging note for some of us... do you like vetiver?
    Last edited by musky_monkey; 24th August 2014 at 03:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by musky_monkey View Post
    Sahil... this has been a long thread and I must admit I have been too lazy to read all posts.
    India is a large country with stifling heat and humidity in many areas, but also a cooler climate in some northern / mountainous areas.
    Some Basenoters don't care about the climate when wearing fragrances, but others (such as myself) do select fragrances depending on the climate. Personally, I find some fragrances cloying in the heat and humidity.
    Do you have a preference for fresh fragrances, or is this unimportant to you?
    Unfortunately, cool/fresh fragrances don't really go well with me. I am more inclined towards heavier/spicier or more deeper smells. I am from north india and temperatures do go down to 5-10 degrees Celsius around Dec/Jan.

Why did you buy so many bottles of Boss and Bleu de Chanel?
    Daytime
    Dior Homme Sport (2012)
    YSL L'Homme
    Terre d'Hermès Parfum
    L'Eau D'Issey pour Homme

Nighttime
    Dior Homme Intense
    YSL La Nuit de L'Homme
    Bentley For Men Intense
    Midnight in Paris
    V&R Spicebomb

Quote Originally Posted by SmellyFinger View Post
    Why did you buy so many bottles of Boss and Bleu de Chanel?
    Because my assumption was that they won't last on my skin. So just in case I don't run out, I got so many lol (Mind you, these were bought before I knew much about colognes).