Code of Conduct

Default New: John Varvatos Oud

Default Re: New: John Varvatos Oud

JV are one of the best designer houses IMO.....but another one jumping on the oud bandwagon?!:/ I'm sure I'll still try it though.lol

They don't list Oud in the notes, lol.

Never been impressed with any of his fragrances and I am sure this will not impress either .

Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    Never been impressed with any of his fragrances and I am sure this will not impress either .
    I usually try to reserve judgment until I've actually sampled or smelled the product....but that's just me.

Will certainly be giving this one a try - longevity is my only issue with JV offerings.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. by Kilian - Incense Oud
    5. Puredistance - Black
    6. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    7. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    8. Brückner - Aoud 1
    9. Creed - Royal English Leather
    10. House of Matriarch - Blackbird

I liked Rock and Roll Vol. 1, loved 10th Anniversary, liked Artisan (all three), so I'll sample this one. Just hope they fixed their ongoing longevity issues.

Nice! Can't wait to try it!

Will be sampling this one for sure.

Another Oud frag? Where will it end?
    "I exist for myself, and for those to whom my unquenchable thirst for freedom gives everything, but also for everyone, since insofar as I am able to love - I love everyone. Of noble hearts, I am the noblest - and the most generous of those that yearn to give love in return. - I am a human being, I love death and I love life."

Egon Schiele - Self-Potrait

My classics: Dior Homme EdT, YSL Rive Gauche PH, Helmut Lang Cuiron, L'Occitane Neroli (vintage), Davidoff Zino, L'Occitane Eau des Baux

http://www.basenotes.net/wardrobe/2976

Quote Originally Posted by vinramani09 View Post
    Likewise.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I'm a fan of Varvatos original and a huge fan of Vintage. I will definitely seek this one out to give it a sniff.

Quote Originally Posted by SportsFan View Post
    I usually try to reserve judgment until I've actually sampled or smelled the product....but that's just me.
    WHAT!? Try it before judging it? That's insane, sir. INSANE!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    Will certainly be giving this one a try - longevity is my only issue with JV offerings.
    I've noticed the strangest thing about JV scents, and it seems to be true for many of them: humidity plays a huge factor in their longevity.

Vintage on a rainy spring day easily lasts 10 hours on my skin, if not longer. But on a dry sunny day, I'm lucky to get six.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Well I sure wouldn't pay $150 for a 125 mL bottle. Lol. Vintage is the only Varvatos fragrance I have smelled that I would buy and with the longevity issues I'd maybe pay $25 for a bottle. That's about where I put his fragrances at, which is right there with the Nautica's, Lacoste's, etc...

I will sample for sure... The Bottle is very nice...

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    I've noticed the strangest thing about JV scents, and it seems to be true for many of them: humidity plays a huge factor in their longevity.

Vintage on a rainy spring day easily lasts 10 hours on my skin, if not longer. But on a dry sunny day, I'm lucky to get six.
    I'll have to give that some attention. I don't have too much problem with JV or JV Vintage, but Artisan and Artisan Black are pretty short lived for me. I will try wearing them on a humid day.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. by Kilian - Incense Oud
    5. Puredistance - Black
    6. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    7. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    8. Brückner - Aoud 1
    9. Creed - Royal English Leather
    10. House of Matriarch - Blackbird

only sample.. Varvatos's longevities are ludicrous!

These are my only issues as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post

Yeah, I'd say that for a designer house, they generally do their own thing when it comes to concepts. I won't call them ground breaking but JV Original and Vintage were pretty far off the beaten path when they arrived. Artisan is a very niche-like citrus, too. So with that said, I expect this to be a more interesting, if short-lived, version of oud, done in a way unlike anything we've seen yet in the designer market (except for maybe M7).
    Fall/Winter Rotation:

Versace Man by Versace
    Iceberg The Fragrance by Iceberg
    Amber Intense by Prada
    Tom Ford Grey Vetiver
    Burberry London
    Lanvin Avant Garde

If smelling good was a crime, I'd be serving a lifetime sentence....

- OE (olfactoryexperience)

Wow...this will be available at Bloomingdales in just a few weeks. At $150 a bottle, I'm pretty sure this will FAR surpass anything we've seen from the house of Varvatos to date. This may be there attempt at appealing to the niche, high-end market, which aligns with their fashion segment better. Plus the article on Fragrantica suggests that Givaudan has never utilized this much oud oil for a single composition. Sounds good to me!
    Fall/Winter Rotation:

Versace Man by Versace
    Amber Intense by Prada
    Tom Ford Grey Vetiver
    Burberry London
    Lanvin Avant Garde

Quote Originally Posted by OlfactoryExperience View Post
    Wow...this will be available at Bloomingdales in just a few weeks. At $150 a bottle, I'm pretty sure this will FAR surpass anything we've seen from the house of Varvatos to date. This may be there attempt at appealing to the niche, high-end market, which aligns with their fashion segment better. Plus the article on Fragrantica suggests that Givaudan has never utilized this much oud oil for a single composition. Sounds good to me!
    This sure sounds like they want to take this scent to the next level... Longevity is a big problem with the JV line that's for sure...

Lol.....I can see people in sephora looking at this bottle and scratching their head, "what the hell is oud??" Curious to see how far he goes with it. $150 a bottle is pretty steep for a designer.

A month on since the last post for this thread...has anyone tried it yet? I have limited experience with the Varvatos line and only own Vintage currently.

Don't think it's available yet,but I'm looking forward to trying it too.

Basenotes Plus

Bought it yesterday. A tiny spritz on my arm is all I did, because I was headed work. But I really liked the overall scent. Not your usual rose/oud combo. And for a brief moment, it reminded me of Robert Piquet's Oud (myrrh, maybe?). It wasn't a beast, but like I've mentioned, this was one tiny spray.

The bottle looks awesome, but feels tacky in my hand. The gold mesh thing is plastic.

So far, so good. I got it at Bloomingdales.
    Last edited by 601red; 26th September 2014 at 02:08 PM.

Yeah I think they're the only one's who have had it. They had it "available" online initially but it has since become unavailable. I really can't wait to get my nose around this bad boy. You ever just had a hunch that you were going to love something?? I've got that feeling now...
    Fall/Winter Rotation:

Versace Man by Versace
    Amber Intense by Prada
    Tom Ford Grey Vetiver
    Burberry London
    Lanvin Avant Garde

Any longevity issues?

Tried this a few time at Bloomingdales. So far asked 4 females for their opinion and they all gave a thumbs up so far.