Code of Conduct

Default Are Creed/Guerlain fragrances cheaper in France?

Are they cheaper in France compared to the US prices?

Default Re: Are Creed/Guerlain fragrances cheaper in France?

Absolutely. I just returned from Paris last week and elsewhere in Europe, and they are definitely less expensive there and in other European cities on the mainland.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Basenotes Plus

Hednic- What is the percentage-wise? 10% to 20% cheaper than in states?

Someone mentioned a while ago that Creeds are sold in local pharmacies/ drugstores (like Walgreen or CVS).

Quote Originally Posted by CapriDog View Post

Someone mentioned a while ago that Creeds are sold in local pharmacies/ drugstores (like Walgreen or CVS).
    Just as a reference, the new Creed Aqua Originale were selling for 160 Euros and change a bottle if I recall in Paris and Venice - about $215 US at current exchange if taken out of the country, whereas in the US they sell for $300. I personally think that's a substantial difference especially if you are buying a large quantity.
    Last edited by hednic; 19th August 2014 at 08:56 PM.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Wow! I knew that was true of Serge Lutens and also Caron. Good to know it is true of others.
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Just as a reference, the new Creed Aqua Originale were selling for 160 Euros and change a bottle if I recall in Paris and Venice - about $215 US at current exchange if taken out of the country, whereas in the US they sell for $300. I personally think that's a substantial difference especially if you are buying a large quantity.
    Wow. Even if I add a shipping cost of $35 to the $215 and make it an even $250. It's still 20% less expensive compared to $300.

Thanks for the info, Hednic.

Basenotes Plus

Do you have to pay import duty & taxes at your end, CapriDog?
    Directory contribution link:-
    http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    Do you have to pay import duty & taxes at your end, CapriDog?
    Shhhh...

You know what, lpp. For all the stuff I bought from FiF, I have not gotten any duty tax letter and I don't want to jinx it. Ay.
    Last edited by CapriDog; 19th August 2014 at 09:29 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Can we all move to SaiGon please, Capri Dog?

In Europe, the sales tax is usually included in quoted prices, something to remember when comparing. Some stores give you a receipt (for substantial purchases) that allows you to recoup part of the sales tax if you're from abroad, but it's a big pain, so I never do.

cacio

Basenotes Plus

Can we all move to SaiGon please, Capri Dog?
    Things are probably going to change soon, lpp.
    My understanding is that there is no federal and state personal income tax at the moment in Vietnam. Oy.

Basenotes Plus

Enjoy it while you can, CapriDog

I can't speak for France, but this certainly isn't the case in the UK.

Just as a reference, the new Creed Aqua Originale were selling for 160 Euros and change a bottle if I recall in Paris and Venice
    That's interesting. They retail at £165 in the UK (approx 200 Euros).....

Basenotes Plus

Enjoy it while you can, CapriDog
    Sure do, thanks lpp

Quote Originally Posted by Davem81 View Post
    I can't speak for France, but this certainly isn't the case in the UK.
    If I can recall, the experience was in France.

You can check the prices on the website of big French fragrance stores, you can find them in most big cities, but I am not even sure they sell Creed:
    http://www.sephora.fr/
    http://www.marionnaud.fr/
    https://www.douglas.fr/douglas/

The prices listed on the website are usually the retail price (VAT is included, around 20.6%).

There's no drugstore/pharmacy like in North America. Usual pharmacies in France only sell medications, but sometimes you can find products like Roger & Gallet, Biotherm, Nuxe, and beauty products (Guerlain or Chanel perfumes would be surprising), it depends.
    Last edited by Asterix; 19th August 2014 at 10:49 PM.

nothing is cheap in the UK except maybe Pot Noodle and that's even worse than Ramen - sometimes you can luck into 2 sausage rolls for a pound somewhere or a Bacon Roll and coffee for £2 at Greggs

Agree, that's a major price difference. Of course they don't have shipping costs to cover by selling in France. Could be part of the lighter price tag.

I know I saved $80.00 buying from Essenza-Nobile on a bottle of Creed. First in Fragrance has the same prices, I believe.

So are the cheaper bottles only sold in France and Germany, not the UK?
    Basenotes sales: Many collectible/discontinued CREEDs (Citrus Bigarrade, Selection Verte), Himalaya, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, L'Occitane The Vert, Numerous popular SAMPLES! http://www.basenotes.net/threads/340...-Vert-*SAMPLES

Offsite sales: Collectible CREEDs (Vintage Tabarome, Selection Verte, Citrus Bigarrade), Himalaya, Heeley Oranges & Lemons, L'Artisan Batucada, L'Essence de Cerruti, L'Occitane The Vert, Numerous popular SAMPLES! http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=260 and http://flacon.ambaric.net/viewtopic.php?t=626

Quote Originally Posted by RedRaider430 View Post
    I know I saved $80.00 buying from Essenza-Nobile on a bottle of Creed. First in Fragrance has the same prices, I believe.

So are the cheaper bottles only sold in France and Germany, not the UK?
    Found the prices equally reduced in Italy last week if brought out of the country.

In my experience Guerlain fragrances are MORE expensive here in France than in the UK - and I'm guessing the US too. Don't expect any bargains!

To give an example, a 100ml bottle of Mouchoir de Monsieur costs €102 in a bricks-and-mortar store here, whereas you can get it for £64 (or €79) in the UK.

If I need any back-ups rather than rarer lines or extraits I tend to get them elsewhere.
    Last edited by saminlondon; 20th August 2014 at 08:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by saminlondon View Post
    In my experience Guerlain fragrances are MORE expensive here in France than in the UK - and I'm guessing the US too. Don't expect any bargains!

To give an example, a 100ml bottle of Mouchoir de Monsieur costs €102 in a bricks-and-mortar store here, whereas you can get it for £64 (or €79) in the UK.

If I need any back-ups rather than rarer lines or extraits I tend to get them elsewhere.
    With rare exceptions (like your example), most of the time the prices tend to be the same in the UK and France.

Eau de Guerlain is £62.50 at J. Lewis and 77€ at Sephora. Habit rouge is £63.00 at J. Lewis while it is 72.90€ at Sephora.

Quote Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
    With rare exceptions (like your example), most of the time the prices tend to be the same in the UK and France.

Eau de Guerlain is £62.50 at J. Lewis and 77€ at Sephora. Habit rouge is £63.00 at J. Lewis while it is 72.90€ at Sephora.
    Oh, I didn't realize. Guess I'm just too focused on Mouchoir de Monsieur

Similar experiences in the Germanic-speaking countries of mainland Europe, especially when it comes to designer fragrances, sure the savings on a single bottle may be minimal, but more advantageous in the case of larger purchases. Both more mainstream perfumery chains like Douglas, Marionnaud, BIPA etc. and the slightly more upscale retail chains like Karstadt, Kaufhof etc. seem to have regular discounts on several designer scents. Only downside is, fewer niche is sold there and if so, far less frequently discounted (but hey, even the regular price may be advantageous in certain situations).

Sharing this information just in case any BN member is passing through these countries and might want to look up these retailers.

Huh. Interesting. My experience has been that everything (including fragrances) is cheaper in the U.S. than here in Europe. I'll be in the States next week and will be able to compare.
    For swap/sale: Vintage Tiffany for Men, Histoires de Parfums 1740 Marquis de Sade, 1 Million Absolutely Gold, Prada Amber pour Homme DELUXE version, Loewe Pour Homme, Pure Malt 2013, Floris Vetiver, Charriol Royal Leather, Dior Homme Intense, Chanel PMC, M7 gel, Roma (women's), Spicebomb, Trussardi Uomo, Obsession, others...
    http://tiny.cc/rd8ptw
    (swaps)
    http://tinyurl.com/a7qoley
    (sales)

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by Asterix View Post
    You can check the prices on the website of big French fragrance stores, you can find them in most big cities, but I am not even sure they sell Creed:
    http://www.sephora.fr/
    http://www.marionnaud.fr/
    https://www.douglas.fr/douglas/

The prices listed on the website are usually the retail price (VAT is included, around 20.6%).
    Cool - thanks for the info.

I forgot to mention the department stores (Printemps and Galeries Lafayette in big towns, Le bon marché in Paris, and others I can't recall), where designer and niche fragrances can be purchased. The retail prices are usually the same, but sometime some offers can arise.

http://www.galerieslafayette.com/
    http://www.printemps.com/
    Last edited by Asterix; 20th August 2014 at 06:33 PM.

At Printemps I've seen Aventus selling for 138 euros-75ml