Code of Conduct

Default Another Male fragrance thread !

Hello Everyone

My name is Sylvain, I'm from France, I'm 22 and I'm new to basenotes.net,

I have recently discovered myself really enthusiastic about Men fragrances and I really like to discover and discover again differents fragrance and their history and the memory they can bring for some of them ( even if I'm not that old, It's always surprising ... )

For now, I'm wearing " Pour un Homme de Caron " in its EDT version, I've also tried Pour un Homme IMPACT, the EDP version of PUH, Which is also really great .

But even if this fragrance is fantastic to me, it lacks of testosterone .. I feel calm with it, and it's perfect for the summer day when you need a light and fresh perfume to hang out with your friends.

But somedays, I need a strong fragrance, something that screams my masculinity .

I'm just 22 years old, gentleman wanna be . I remember my grandpa, wearing his suit and his hat, being the perfect gentleman, just as my father, and this is exactly what I want to be since I'm a small kid ! As you all know, the fragrance is an important part of a gentleman, I usually feel confident with myself, I do have a classic style, usually wearing suits . And I really need a fragrance that suits me as much as I would like ..

I've tried Antaeus, Pour monsieur De Chanel, Bleu de Chanel, Terre d'Hermes and so on ..

actually the only one that came close to what I'm looking for is Aramis !

But the dry down didn't really satisfy me ( a bit too much " animal " )

The perfect would be a lighter version of Aramis, with a softer dry down .

I haven't been able to find it for the moment, and your advices will be really appreciated !

Thank you very much for reading

Sylvain

Default Re: Another Male fragrance thread !

Kiton Men should be perfect. Mature fragrance that is just right for suit attire.

Perhaps give Hard Leather by LM Parfums a try. It definitely doesn't lack testosterone!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

When I read "masculine fragrances" the first that came to mind were Paco Rabanne Pour Homme and Prada Infusion D'Homme.

Testosterone = Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme

Quote Originally Posted by sylvain View Post

The perfect would be a lighter version of Aramis, with a softer dry down .
    I would suggest some light leather scents, eg. Or Black (available on ebay.fr for reasonable money), the new Dior Homme Parfum (available at Sephora), and Hermes Bel Ami.

Have you tried "Devin" by Aramis and even the new formulation of Azzaro pour homme are very masculine and classic: I don't have these but I've smelled them on acquaintances and are very nice.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Thank you all for your answers ! I will have to try some of them !

I Have tried Paco Rabanne pour Homme, Dior Homme, And Azzaro, but one of my relative wears it ..

I can't say any of those are bad, I really loved what I smelled, But It didn't fit me, in my opinion ! But I'm pretty sure I will find the good one with your help !

I haven't tried the others one, concerning Devin by Aramis, I can't find any of the Aramis perfumes in my area in France, that's a shame ! I have only been able to test Aramis classic during a business week end in London, last week end ..

Next step will be to try and test the fragrances you mentioned if I can find them easily .

By the way, I've heard a lot about La nuit de L'Homme by YSL, is it a waste of time to try it knowing my requirments, ? there are a lots of differents reviews about this one

Thank you for your help

Something that smells masculinity? ... Quorum

Salut Sylvain ! Je t'ai répondu sur rasage traditionnel ...

Give Knize 10 a try. Very masculine without going into super macho territory. This is a classic with 90 years behind it. Not too expensive also.

As others previously mentioned - Quorum / Knize 10 / Bel Ami etc might suit you - others include Bentley for men Intense, Guerlain Habit Rouge, Odori Tabacco.

However, it all comes down to you - so sample more & find a few that are to your liking...

I've already recommended this today in another thread but, at the risk of sounding like a broken record, I would suggest YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    Testosterone = Van Cleef & Arpels Pour Homme
    plus Rive Gauche.

Hello everyone !

I've been testing some fragrances today ! Some of them had my curiosity, But two of them clearly had my attention !

Hermes Bel Ami, and YSL Rive Gauche pour homme la collection ! Even if the seller ( A young 20'something lady ) found weird that I wanted to smell like " an old man " ...

I sampled them both and will see if I still like them over the days !

Wait And See !

Thanks for your help ! If you have any more suggestions, feel free to share

I will maybe order Quorum online someday, Since it's really cheap and I'm pretty curious !

Basenotes Member

I am/have been looking for something similar myself. I'd suggest trying Eau Sauvage, Creed Spice and Wood, Cereus No. 11, and Frederic Malle French Lover. Those have been some that I've been really enjoying or I think would work. Maybe Konig by Yosh but that might not fit the bill.

Oh, and +1 on Rive Gauche.

Thank you for the answer ! I still have some to sample, only for the pleasure !

By the way, I do have a question that might be interesting for me, because I might try some things I wouldn't think I could love in a different olfactive style !

I started my thread by telling you what kind of fragrance I loved, But if I hadn't told you,

What kind of fragrance would you expect on a young business owner, wearing suits ( Not large shoulders suits with accordeon pants ) , being 6"1 ( 1m85 ) tall,

who doesn't want to smell like " My dad's money is awesome ! " nor " I'm super self-centred "

Thanks again

Polo green, a timeless, bold and pine greenish scent!

I will have to try this one too then ! Merci beaucoup pour ta participation ici et sur rasage traditionnel !

Aramis gold if you want to be brave

Thank you for your answer, But it's almost impossible to find aramis gold in store here, I didn't even find aramis classic, so I guess I won't be brave !

I tested the new Dior Homme Parfum yesterday ( not the Dior Intense ) , This is one beautiful parfum, I loved it , I insisted for having a sample even though the seller didn't really want, And I got it !

I'm waiting for Hermes to send me a sample of the Bel Ami Vetiver too !

News ! Haven't received my sample yet, But tried Polo Green, Great Fragrance too, I also sampled it even if it's a little bit strong ! Loved van cleef and arpel too !

I also forgot to say that I own " Hoggar " By Yves Rocher, which is very cheap ( got 2 bottles for 14€ some months ago! ) and I really love it and got a ton of compliments while wearing it . Any advice on a similar masculine woody scents ?

Thanks

My belated recommendation: perhaps Yardley Citrus&Wood might be worth testing. A quite recent fragrance of a traditional gentlemanly style, described here on BN sometimes as a cheaper (but still good) version of TDH, with a reasonably woody drydown.

I will also have to try this one then ! Thanks for your comments !

I have tried so much fragrance that I actually am completely lost, I can now consider a " fresher " scent, I really liked Pour Monsieur de Chanel after trying it again, Dior Homme also had my attention, but It's not masculine enough In my opinion, I also received My Bel ami Vetiver sample, Smells fantastic on paper, but doesn't works well at all on my skin .

I would have loved to smell some creed fragrances, but it's impossible to find it in store here, And I really don't want to pay 7 or 8€ for a single sample . I will maybe visit them during my next trip to Paris . Midnight in Paris by Van Cleef & Arpels is also quite interesting ! But not the most masculine fragrance either .

I think I can't really go wrong with Pour monsieur de Chanel, Concentrée or nor, But I'm not going to make my decision now, I would still like something a little bit more unique however...

you started a long wonderful and dangerous journey...good luck!
    by the way Kiton, Encre Noir, Equipage and Habit Rouge are fine spots from where to start your neverending journey....
    ...This used to be real estate.....Now it's only fields and trees......Where, where is the town now?
    It's nothing but flowers......

Thank you for your message ! I think you are right !

I love habit rouge, But this is my father's signature scent so I can't really wear it .. I smelled Equipage today, My first reaction was " Wow ! This is exactly what I want! " then the drydown came, And reminds me too much of my dentist's office .... So close !

I haven't smell kiton yet, because I can't find it unfortunately, But I know where I can try Encre Noir ..

To be continued !

If you are interested in the opinion of a lady for a change, try Azzaro, French Lover (Malle), Bel Ami and Bel Ami Vetiver, and Chanel Sycomore.

A lady's opinion is more than welcome, Thank you for your participation !

I've tried Bel ami and Bel ami Vetiver, I prefer the original one, I think I don't really like Vetiver on my skin .. Azzaro is my Uncle scent, so it's hard for me to wear it unfortunately, as for French Lover and Chanel Sycomore, I haven't tried them yet because it's not easy to find them where I live but I won't miss the next opportunity to try them and many others

Escada pour homme.. Its discontinued but if you check the sales thread every once in a while a bottle pops up.

just explore Dior Privee line...nice surpises,there!
    ...This used to be real estate.....Now it's only fields and trees......Where, where is the town now?
    It's nothing but flowers......

Thanks for the recommendations, I will have a look if there is a dior store near !

Concerning Escada, unfortunately I can't make any blind buy, this is too risky, same goes for Kiton Men, only Available in city like Paris, And they don't send sample ... That's a shame I would have loved to try them !

You may like Guerlain Derby
    "Believe none of what you hear and half of what you see." -Benjamin Franklin

Thank you for your advice I will have a lot of fragrance to try during my next trip to Paris !

I have tried Guerlain Heritage today, I really loved it ! L'instant de Guerlain too, In a different way