Code of Conduct

Default Byredo: Made in Sweden vs. Made in France

Recently I bought some bottles from Barney's and I was talking to my SA about his thoughts on Byredo.

I had no idea the company was sold and is now made in France! He mentioned I me that he felt like gypsy water was very weak ever since they started making the line in France.

I have a bottle of Oud Inmortel that is made in France, but never owned a Swedish made version.

Is anyone familiar with this? Have they changed any formulas? Any other infos?

Default Re: Byredo: Made in Sweden vs. Made in France

I hear they took the surströmming note out of M/Mink.

Actually, I have no clue. I've only ever seen the French-made editions.

Quote Originally Posted by Sugandaraja View Post
    I hear they took the surströmming note out of M/Mink.

Actually, I have no clue. I've only ever seen the French-made editions.

Ha! It's definitely still very men's bathroom in a bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post
    I had no idea the company was sold and is now made in France!
    News to me also.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    News to me also.
    Will you be blind buying the entire line?

Surströmming is actually not something Swedish people in general eat. It's as far as I know only sold in the article circle meaning the north of Sweden, while most people from the south haven't tried it. And that's like the whole population. And even there a lot of people dislike it. Just a fun fact

...this says the site:

BYREDO IS A STOCKHOLM BASED FRAGRANCE HOUSE FOUNDED IN 2006 BY BEN GORHAM. PRODUCTS CURRENTLY INCLUDE PERFUME, BODY CARE, HOME FRAGRANCES AND ACCESSORIES. ALL PRODUCTS ARE MADE WITH A DISTINCT FOCUS ON CRAFTSMANSHIP AND QUALITY.

Byredo on Twitter gives still Ben Gorham

mimifroufrou says:

Niche brand Byredo founded in 2006 by Ben Gorham have sold a majority stake in their company to London-based group Manzanita Capital which already own perfume-centric labels SpaceNK, Diptyque, but also Eve Lom, Lipstick Queen, Rococo Nail Apparel, Beautannia, Sai Sei, and Life...

On the creative front, we can expect to see overlaps with Diptyque, which have some of the longest lensed views on the niche fragrance market since 1961 {See timeline of mid-century niche perfumery in review article of Vétyverio}

A Manzanita representative told WWD, “We expect to provide the resources to Byredo and its founder, Ben Gorham, that will assist Byredo’s international development. Resources will include funding and, as appropriate, expertise from the other nine brand companies which are members of our group,”

Gorham in his turn explained his choice saying “Manzanita was a natural choice for us due to their incredible retail experience, proven track record, and long-term commitment to brand building."

Byredo have been steadily expanding their collaborative projects with other brands over the years while continuing to propose new olfactory compositions at a rather fast rhythm. The partial acquisition comes on the tails of news of healthy business figures at Barneys New York - $2 Million - and Liberty's London - $1.1 Million.
    Last edited by Trauerkraut; 21st August 2014 at 11:47 AM.

Were the fragrances ever actually made in Sweden?

I've noticed this a lot with other European houses and probably transatlantic ones also -- somewhere you will find 'Made in France' on the packaging or bottle.

Shoot -- Gypsy Water was 'weak' from the very beginning imo

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    Were the fragrances ever actually made in Sweden?

I've noticed this a lot with other European houses and probably transatlantic ones also -- somewhere you will find 'Made in France' on the packaging or bottle.

Shoot -- Gypsy Water was 'weak' from the very beginning imo

Well the rep told me that they were made in Sweden before. But all I can find is the older bottles that say nothing on them, as opposed to the new bottles that say "made in France" on the front of them.

Gypsy water was indeed a very light composition always.

My main concern is for Oud Immortel. I know it gets a lot of hate around BN, but I do love it. But I'd like to know if it's been tampered with so I can hunt down an old bottle.

Quote Originally Posted by aphexacid View Post
    Well the rep told me that they were made in Sweden before. But all I can find is the older bottles that say nothing on them, as opposed to the new bottles that say "made in France" on the front of them.

Gypsy water was indeed a very light composition always.

My main concern is for Oud Immortel. I know it gets a lot of hate around BN, but I do love it. But I'd like to know if it's been tampered with so I can hunt down an old bottle.
    Well, I tested the whole range again recently before purchasing Bullion and the ones I had experienced before seemed to smell the same to me -- initially anyway.

Try info@byredo.com -- they may supply an honest answer

Quote Originally Posted by Kaern View Post
    Well, I tested the whole range again recently before purchasing Bullion and the ones I had experienced before seemed to smell the same to me -- initially anyway.

Try info@byredo.com -- they may supply an honest answer
    That's really all I'm looking for, someone that's tested out the older and the newer. Unfortunately I can't attest to this myself because I got a late start on the Byredo line. I didn't get Into them until Barney's got the line.

I don't really have much faith in the "no of course we didn't reformulated anything" answer I will most likely get. But I'll try anyway in spirit of the thread!

i never knew byredo was from sweden. im gonna check for you if i can find anything in swedish. the owner of byredo says that gypsy water is big in the us, bal d'afrique in europe and blanche particulary in sweden, who would have thought?. it says that its made in sweden. i dont know wether this has changed or not. i live in the artic circle and all the fancy stuff is in the south.

another thing is that sweden only has around 9 million people. france is a perfect place to make the bottles i would assume since the amount that has to be shipped from sweden would greatly decrease and they would save money. just my two cents.
    Last edited by Chados; 21st August 2014 at 11:08 PM.

Both my Black Saffron and Bal D'Afrique bottles smell the same as the samples I'd received before the company shift. Also had not heard they sold a majority stake.
    Splits!

Tom Ford - Patchouli Absolu --------> http://www.basenotes.net/threads/370...tchouli-Absolu

I worked as a SA/rep for these guys for about 2 year (2011-2013). As far as I remember everything always was made in France. Now I will say that there was a slight packaging change at one point. The cellophane became clearer and harder and more sort of crisp, and the box became sort of embossed, so the rectangle on the front was lower than the sides. I know that the testers usually come from various batches etc, but I never noticed any of the juice smelling different over the 2 years, nor did I ever have a single complaint related to reformulation or differences between the testers, samples, and sellable product. People complained that they were too simple as scents, and that they were too short lived (not true! they're just subtle scents, but they're there I promise).

If you go way way back to the original line when there were just 4 scents, if you google around, you'll see some cool alternative bottles and packaging. The bottles were pretty close to Malle's with flat top 'puck' caps, and the boxes were more square and had giant thin lettering on them. Maybe that early stuff was made in Sweden/locally? I still doubt it though honestly. As far as I know the perfumers Olivia Giocobanni works out of IFF/Guivadan or whoever in NY, and Jerome Epinette maybe works out of France, and I think in the early days there were one or two other noses involved, but this type of line is often produced in France anyway. Sweden's not exactly known for making perfume as far as I know. Maybe some sort of packaging was done there? I'd imagine the juice was blended and bottled in France at least.
    Last edited by Master-Classter; 22nd August 2014 at 03:24 AM.
    Tom Ford Splits!!!! - Tobacco Vanille, Tuscan Leather, Oud Wood, Noir de Noir,
    Plum Japonais, Italian Cypress,
    Neroli Portofino, Costa Azzura
    HARD TO FIND -
    Lavender Palm, Arabian Wood, Champacca Absolute and AMBER ABSOLUTE, etc...

Most of the time I am very proud of the Basenotes community. Time after time I have witnessed the thoughtfulness, empathy & genuine friendship that members of this community extend to others - oldtimers & newcomers alike. There are other times, however, when egos get the upper hand and civility goes out the window. My philosophy is that I won't say anything here that I would not say if you were standing in front of me. Welcome to Basenotes, each and every one of us. ~ TwoRoads

Quote Originally Posted by Master-Classter View Post
    I worked as a SA/rep for these guys for about 2 year (2011-2013). As far as I remember everything always was made in France. Now I will say that there was a slight packaging change at one point. The cellophane became clearer and harder and more sort of crisp, and the box became sort of embossed, so the rectangle on the front was lower than the sides. I know that the testers usually come from various batches etc, but I never noticed any of the juice smelling different over the 2 years, nor did I ever have a single complaint related to reformulation or differences between the testers, samples, and sellable product. People complained that they were too simple as scents, and that they were too short lived (not true! they're just subtle scents, but they're there I promise).

If you go way way back to the original line when there were just 4 scents, if you google around, you'll see some cool alternative bottles and packaging. The bottles were pretty close to Malle's with flat top 'puck' caps, and the boxes were more square and had giant thin lettering on them. Maybe that early stuff was made in Sweden/locally? I still doubt it though honestly. As far as I know the perfumers Olivia Giocobanni works out of IFF/Guivadan or whoever in NY, and Jerome Epinette maybe works out of France, and I think in the early days there were one or two other noses involved, but this type of line is often produced in France anyway. Sweden's not exactly known for making perfume as far as I know. Maybe some sort of packaging was done there? I'd imagine the juice was blended and bottled in France at least.

Thank you! That's a lot of excellent information there. All I have to go on is what my Barney's rep told me. He's not your typical SA, he's actually an enthusiast and knows his stuff. Still, he could be misinformed, got some bad info, or is just making an assumption.

I have Oud Immortel and I'm head over heels for it. I get excellent performance out of it as well.

I can't actually find where the perfume was made before the current packaging/bottles that say "made in France" on them.

I'm waiting for a reply from Byredo!