Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Woody smelling cologne for high schooler?

Hi, I am new to these threads but I have read a few. So far I have kenneth cole reaction and gucci guilty cologne. They are both alright but I have always wanted a woody smelling cologne. I like polo green but that is out of my age class I believe. If there is anything with a strong woody smell with some patchouli in it, that would be great. I have heard of givenchy gentleman but I have not smelled it. Please recommend a few different woody smelling colognes that wont stick out too much. I do like strong smelling colognes that last long like polo green, but again, I think thats too old for me. Thanks

Default Re: Woody smelling cologne for high schooler?

What kind of budget do you have? A woody patchouli that instantly springs to mind is Dior's Patchouli Imperial.

Welcome to you! Perhaps try Carbone de Balmain.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Thanks guys. Under 200 is my budget. Any more suggestions. How would givenchy gentleman work?

Gentleman is quite a mature, old-school-esque fragrance to my nose. Not a million miles apart from Polo Green.

Polo Green to me is more of a mossy - spicy -leather - and I like it

But perhaps something more like Terre De Hermes ? Encre Noire?

To me $200 is a lot of money and there are many good choices well below that

Ok. What is another option like polo green but I guess less mature? Polo green I think is an older man cologne or old school like you said above. Any other colognes like polo green for teenagers?

Also like a dark, cool woody cologne. Not really warm if thats possible.

Maybe also Dsquared Potion

Burberry London instantly came to mind. Not because it's a youthful scent (it's way more youthful than Polo Green) but because it's a rather good scent that qualifies for the woodsy smell requirement.

Thanks guys, ill try them out and get back to you.

...try Guerlain Homme l'Eau Boise...it's my son's favorite...!

Green Irish Tweed

Ill look into those

Lets try and get some patchouli in there too

One other thing, these colognes, from what I have read are mostly warm. Can someone suggest a dark and cool patchouli/wood cologne?

Quote Originally Posted by aetain View Post
    One other thing, these colognes, from what I have read are mostly warm. Can someone suggest a dark and cool patchouli/wood cologne?
    ...Oud Immortel by Byredo...!

Terre d'Hermes

Or for a cooler take, HeWood Rocky Mountain Wood

Amen Pure Malt !

Not sure if it fits your description - but baby what a scent!

I got burberry london. Thank you guys. Very nice woody smell. Didnt smell tobacco. I waited for like 45 minutes to let the smell go into the mids.

Creed Royal Oud

From what I have read, burberry london has poor sillage. Is there any way to improve this?

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    Terre d'Hermes

Or for a cooler take, HeWood Rocky Mountain Wood
    Rocky Mountain Wood is just awesome.
    "Le parfum est la musique du corps"
    (Marcel Rochas)

From what I have read, burberry london has poor sillage. Is there any way to improve this?
    An extra spray on the outside of your clothes will always improve sillage a little bit.

Ok thanks. I ususally do one spray on my wrist and pat them together, one spray on my front neck, one spray on the back of my neck and two on the chest? What do you guys usually do?

Have you smelled Marc Jacobs' Bang?
    Current favorites:

Versace l'Homme
    Masque Russian Tea
    CK One Shock for Him
    Black Vines by Kerosene

I'm a notorious under-sprayer - 1-2 sprays to the chest, then place your shirt on. I tend to spray my upper forearms or near the folds of my arms...

Lower forearms and wrists are bad because you'll end up washing your hands and removing a portion of the fragrance. I'm personally not a fan of spray/rub, some say it accelerates the transition from top notes to mid-notes. And near the neck, let's hope your significant other doesn't kiss you there or risk getting a mouth full of fragrance.

There's plenty of advice on how to spray. I'm way less liberal than most here.

Beat me to it.
    Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Welcome to you! Perhaps try Carbone de Balmain.

Nightscape by Ulrich Lang.

Abercrombie & Fitch Woods, Armani Mania, Terre d'Hermes Eau Tres Fraiche (I think the original TDH is a bit much for a high schooler), YSL L'Homme Sport (the original is a ginger bomb that I'm not a fan of but this one I find to be nice) IMO are all solid woody fragrances and would fit someone in your age range quite nicely IMO. Big Sur Backpacker’s Cologne and some of the other offerings by Juniper Ridge are pretty interesting. They don't have great longevity from the one's I sampled but they smell really nice and are definitely woody! Marc Jacob's Bang is a good suggestion, too, but there is a lot of pepper in the opening. For your budget of ~$200 I would try to find at least 2 or 3 that you like as opposed to just one. Best of luck in your search!

This one maybe fits your bill:

My Top '10' : (In no particular order)

- Dolce & Gabbana: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Paco Rabanne: Pour Homme (vintage)
    - Loewe: Esencia/Pour Homme/Solo/7
    - Davidoff: Leather Blend Edp
    - Dior: Eau Sauvage Parfum
    - MPG: Santal Noble
    - Guerlain: Vetiver
    - Van Cleef & Arpels: Pour Homme
    - Hermes: Terre d'Hermes
    - YSL: Kouros (Fraicheur)

L'Occitane -L'Occitane

I get a good amount of wood out of this, it's a quality fragrance, and it's not overwhelming. - of course some of the youngsters prefer more sweetness, musk and presence - but for a young man with confidence and sober state of mind not a bad scent at all

One other thing, do you think a 15 year old could pull off givenchy gentleman? I tried it and my initial impression was very old man like, but then it settled down and it was a lot less intense. What is all of your opinions?

Polo green I like a lot but I dont think anyone under at least 40 should wear that? What are your thoughts?

One other thing, do you think a 15 year old could pull off givenchy gentleman? I tried it and my initial impression was very old man like, but then it settled down and it was a lot less intense. What is all of your opinions?
    I don't think you should wear anything with that much pachouli to high school. People will say you smell like a hippie or a used record shop.
    Polo green I like a lot but I dont think anyone under at least 40 should wear that? What are your thoughts?
    It's funny because I actually associate Polo green with my teenaged uncles splashing this stuff on pretty liberally back when I was a kid in the 80s. I personally think a teenager can wear this stuff but don't expect the young girls to like it. They didn't really like it way back when and they certainly won't now.

Anyone else have thoughts on polo green or givenchy gentleman on a teen?

If you like it wear it. Also look into Esencia Loewe by Loewe. It's a much smoother more refined Polo Green IMO.

I would wear it but I dont want to smell like a jackass and repel everyone. I personnaly like polo and givenchy gentleman but I know some may not.

You have much to learn young person. Wearing fragrances is for your own personal pleasure not for others. Use 1 or 2 sprays max and you won't come off as a Jackass. Be bold, people dig that, just don't be loud about it.

Im a guy that likes in your face smells. I know a lot of people who dont. Polo green is a very strong smell that you can smell a few feet away. It seems as an offensive smell to some people. Do you think its worth it to get or not?

One other comparison, polo blue vs ADG vs davidoff cool waters. I know many use cool waters and adg as teens. A few people in my school use polo blue. Adg and cool water are aquatic while polo blue is fresh. Which out of these is the best smelling?

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    welcome to you! Perhaps try carbone de balmain.

this

Pure Malt, Wonderwood.

Azzaro chrome fresh woody

Anyone else have thoughts on polo green or givenchy gentleman on a teen?
    Polo green has been reformulated and is much weaker than it once was. That means that even if we older gents wear the current version, it no longer fills a concert hall with one spray, doesn't leave a "trail in its wake," therefore is not noticed nearly as much as it once was. I dare say it's more of a skin scent now.

The advantage to you is that, in your age group, you'd be an anomaly. It could be your signature scent, and all your fellow male students would smell like that bug spray, Acqua Di Gio. You'd be recognized by it.
    My top ten, in no particular order:
    Eau Des Baux
    Spicebomb
    Hanae Mori HiM
    Polo
    Halston Man Amber
    Mugler Pure Havane
    24 Gold
    L'eau Bleue D'issey Pour Homme
    Kenzo Jungle Homme
    Terre D'Hermes

Anyone recommended Fierce?

I'd recommend L'Occitane Eau Des Baux. It's woody (cypress), doesn't come off as an old man frag, has enough sweetness to attract young girls, fairly unique and not expensive.

Do you have any thoughts on polo blue?

So about polo green, you think I could wear the newer version fine? I still thought it was stronger than givenchy gentleman. Oit of polo green and givenchy gentleman, which would be the better choice?

@demon

Probably Joop or Burberry the beat, not overly woody but great for a high schooler.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. Can a few of you answer the 2 questions that I recently posted?

Blog Entries

+1 Abercrombie Woods
    +1 Rocky Mountain Wood
    Lalique White
    Maybe 212 Men for a spicy green (not so woody though)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Tarheel Golfer; 26th August 2014 at 01:59 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Trauerkraut View Post
    ...Oud Immortel by Byredo...!
    +1 YES!

*BUT!*, this is definitely a 'try-before-you-buy' sort of fragrance.
    "As perfume doth remain In the folds where it hath lain, So the thought of you, remaining Deeply folded in my brain, Will not leave me: all things leave me: You remain."

-Arthur Symons

Can one of you respond to these?

6 posts up.

How do you reply to post like originally posted by then your reponse. I can only do quick reply even after I hit reply next to edot post.

Polo Blue is a great choice, IMO. I thinks it's more on the unique side and not as common as ADG, Cool Water, Issey, etc. Definitely fresh, a prominent melon note but some woods in there as well. I think it's a great signature scent. Polo Green, on the other hand, I'm not a fan of (and yes, because I think it smells like old man cologne lol), but if you like it, then wear it!

One thing I don't necessarily agree with, though, is the 'wear whatever you want whenever you want' mantra. I think it's a bit flippant, to be honest. Just like I would dress a certain way for work, a job interview, a date, or a casual get together with friends, I choose my fragrances accordingly. Again, that is just my opinion. One thing I realized early on at BN is just because a lot of people say a fragrance is great, I might not like it, and vice verca. You seem to be developing a sense of what you like, just follow your own intuitions. I used to blind buy a lot, now I sample a lot

Alright. Thabks theo. I think I may try polo blue and try givenchy gentleman again

Basenotes Plus

I know I might be against the grain here, but I like Givenchy Gentleman Only. It's more modern/fresh than GG but still has some nice Patch in there. Can get a sample at Sephora..

Great and well worth a try:

Herms Rocabar
    Comme des Garcons Series 3 Kyoto

I just got vintage givenchy gentleman from the 70's (with propellent 144). It smells, to me, the same pretty much throughout the wearing. The topnotes I cant really tell what they are, the middle notes are the top noted with leather and a little bit of patchouli and the base notes are the top notes with just patchouli. The smell also lasted (now is a skin scent) on me for around 4 hours which I know isnt normal. Are the scents I detect normal for the vintage one? Dont get me wrong, I love it, but the longetivity is a downer considering ive read very long longetivity for the most part. The cologne has been in its box and never exposed to the light and also in a cool place. Do you know why it lasts short and i guess smells indistinguishable?

Never mind about the longetivity. Apparently its smelled by other people a foot away from me. I just cant smell it much.

Blog Entries

Here is the bottle I was able to get. It is a true vintage. It has a nice blend of the woody notes but also some green ones. It is subtle, though. Definitely no powerhouse. One reason I think its a nice choice for you. Overpowering scents aren't really polite to wear in crowded places such as schools. Believe me, they won't make you more popular.