Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default The One Week Challenge

Could you limit yourself to ONE fragrance for a full week? Obviously, it would have to be something versatile enough to cover days, nights, work, play, maybe dates or perhaps a formal event. It'd have to be versatile enough for one full week of your life. One week should be easy, right? I wonder how many members here could do it.

What one fragrance would you choose? Do you think you'd learn anything during the week, maybe about the fragrance or perhaps about yourself?

Is anybody willing to take part? I'm game if you're game. All you have to do is post a comment in this thread each day for a week to say what you're wearing and what day # you're on, and if you post in the SOTD thread, mention you're doing the One Week Challenge, plus what day you're on.

One week should be easy. Riiiiiiiiight? ...I'm in if you're in.
    "Follow your nose. It always knows." -- Toucan Sam

Default Re: The One Week Challenge

TdH. Go.

Why So Serious?

I'm definitely up to the challenge. There are very few fragrances I have that I would wear for a week straight. In fact, I wore a fragrance last week for 4 days straight, and I was still not tired of it, so I'll wear this same fragrance. Anyway, i'm in for sure!

I will reveal the fragrance in this thread on Monday, until then enjoy the weekend full of other goodies!
    Current top 5:
    1. Puredistance M
    2. Kilian Apple Brandy
    3. Amouage Fate Man
    4. Andrea Maack Coven
    5. Naomi Goodsir Bois d'Ascese

I haven't worn a fragrance in over 3 weeks, and in the last two months maybe about 10 times total.

And the last time I wore one it was Acqua Essenziale by Ferragamo. I wore it for about a week.

This has been for several reasons, but mainly because all my frags are boxed up at the moment, and packed under many other boxes.

The first two weeks were strange, but then I got used to it and stopped thinking about it. The break felt kind of good, but now I'm tired of not wearing anything, and really looking forward to getting those boxes out and wearing stuff again.

Good luck!

Good luck with that folks.

Blog Entries

Lol very funny challenge--not sure I could do it, though. I guess my first immediate thought is that Acqua di Parma Colonia Assoluta might work for all occasions, and I'd probably go with that one. Not sure I'll try it, but I'll be following this experiment as it plays out...
    Check out my personal blog: http://stayathomedadfindsacologne.com

"Perfume and incense make the heart glad..."

-Proverbs 27:9

Basenotes Plus

Me can't do

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by tonghpafu View Post
    TdH. Go.
    You're going to wear TdH and nothing but TdH for a full seven days?

I'm debating between a few options and TdH Parfum is one of them, along with Fahrenheit, Royal Oud and Donna Karan Fuel. Or, I could try something really bold and go with Interlude Man. I haven't decided yet.

I wish I had enough Rose 31 or HdP 1725 to get me through a week... but my samples of those are running low and I haven't committed to full bottles yet.
    Last edited by L'Homme Blanc Individuel; 22nd August 2014 at 11:29 PM.

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by L'Homme Blanc Individuel View Post
    You're going to wear TdH and nothing but TdH for a full seven days?

I'm debating between a few options and TdH Parfum is one of them, along with Fahrenheit, Royal Oud and Donna Karan Fuel. Or, I could try something really bold and go with Interlude Man. I haven't decided yet.

I wish I had enough Rose 31 or HdP 1725 to get me through a week... but my samples of those are running low and I haven't committed to full bottles yet.
    There is no way I could wear Interlude for 7 days straight - don't get me wrong, Interlude is in my top 3 scents but I don't think I could stomach it for seven days - the flip side is that you would only have to apply once, maybe twice for it to last a full seven days

Not sure that I could bring myself to do the Challenge - if I did, I have narrowed it down to Grey Vetiver, GIT or Cedrat Boise

Could I? Of course. Would I - no.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

I've done this several times with Bulgari Eau Parfumee au The Vert and a couple of times with Eau Pafumee au The Blanc. Once with Etro Ambra, I guess. Close to a week with Ferragamo Tuscan Soul. Think I have too many names now to really do this again...

Been there, done that. Quick side trip of mine landed me in Germany for about a week and I wore Windsor the entire week.

I would do it again.

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post
    I haven't worn a fragrance in over 3 weeks, and in the last two months maybe about 10 times total.

And the last time I wore one it was Acqua Essenziale by Ferragamo. I wore it for about a week.

This has been for several reasons, but mainly because all my frags are boxed up at the moment, and packed under many other boxes.

The first two weeks were strange, but then I got used to it and stopped thinking about it. The break felt kind of good, but now I'm tired of not wearing anything, and really looking forward to getting those boxes out and wearing stuff again.

Good luck!
    Yep. Only worn scent a handful of times over the last 6 weeks or so. One scent for a week would be easy. Considering the weather I'd go with Vettiveru. Guerlain Homme would also work. Those are pretty much the only fragrances I have used recently anyway.
    Signature Scent

Quote Originally Posted by yarn View Post
    There is no way I could wear Interlude for 7 days straight - don't get me wrong, Interlude is in my top 3 scents but I don't think I could stomach it for seven days - the flip side is that you would only have to apply once, maybe twice for it to last a full seven days
    Yup. That's precisely what I'm thinking. Interlude Man is probably my all time favorite scent, but I don't know if I could wear it for 7 days straight. I adore it, but after a few days, I could probably turn myself off of it entirely. It'd be much too much of a good thing that already borders on being much too much.

Noooo. Why have I spent thousands of dollars to stare at hundreds of fragrances - to only use one for a whole week?! I wear 2 and sometimes 3 different ones each day to just feel like they are all useful now.

24 hour challenge? sure.
    2 day challenge? ok.
    One week? That's just crazy talk.

If forced: Tom Ford Grey Vetiver would probably be my choice.
    Last edited by dougczar; 23rd August 2014 at 12:28 AM.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    4. by Kilian - Incense Oud
    5. Puredistance - Black
    6. by Kilian - Cruel Intentions
    7. Armani Privé - Oud Royal
    8. Brückner - Aoud 1
    9. Creed - Royal English Leather
    10. House of Matriarch - Blackbird

Sure, an old spray bottle of Jovan White Musk for men.

EDIT: One Week Challenge: Jovan White Musk for men, Day 1
    Last edited by Lomaniac; 23rd August 2014 at 08:32 AM.

I wore Oud Imperial Black 5 days in a row. Does that count as close enough?
    Some Favorites
    1. Amouage Epic man
    2. Dior Leather Oud
    3. Perris Monte Carlo Oud Imperial Black
    4. Le Labo Patchouli 24
    5. Amouage Opus VII
    6. Byredo Bullion
    7. Norma Kamali Incense

Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind.

Blog Entries

Yup. That's precisely what I'm thinking. Interlude Man is probably my all time favorite scent, but I don't know if I could wear it for 7 days straight. I adore it, but after a few days, I could probably turn myself off of it entirely. It'd be much too much of a good thing that already borders on being much too much.
    +1 for that. I don't usually even buy backup bottles--but I do have one backup of Interlude. Part of me wonders if that's more than enough for two lifetimes...

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    24 hour challenge? sure.
    2 day challenge? ok.
    One week? That's just crazy talk.
    That, my friend, is why it's a challenge! What good would a challenge be if it weren't challenging?

Quote Originally Posted by dougczar View Post
    If forced: Tom Ford Grey Vetiver would probably be my choice.
    That's a great pick!

Wow that's a tough one, I USED to be able to do that years ago and have made do with only 2-3 for an entire week or more while on vacations, but to be at home, and have all of my little ones sitting there looking at me - I'll get back to you on that. It could be kinda fun to try though. I think I could do this more easily if it was cold out.

Gosh, even for a person like me who has under 35-decent fragrances it's a joy simply waking up and having to think about my next scent to wear...

In short. I wouldn't dare attempting wearing the same scent for 1-week. I could, but I enjoy far too many others as well.

No way in hell bro!(but nothing but the best of luck to you! )

That sounds like a fun challenge. I wish I could do it. Vetiver Tonka came to mind though.

I would but I am clueless as to which.

LOL

Ya I will pass too. 3 days.. maybe.. not a full week. Not because I am stubborn or anything, there is just no point to limit myself. Sometimes when I am trying to finish up a bottle, I may wear it 7 days straight, maybe even longer.

If I had a smaller collection, like a "normal person", of say 5-6 bottles, like "normal people".. you would likely only find very versatile fragrances in my collection. Stuff along the lines of Cool Water, Azzaro pH, Fahrenheit; Rive Gauche, some of the less common versatiles like Armani He, Tommy Bahama, Havana. The list can really go on and on. What I'm saying is that, if I had a smaller collection of all versatile fragrances, I could easily wear one of those mentioned for 7 days straight with no problems. Granted I would probably get tired of most of them and appreciate it less.
    My Current Top 10:

Rive Gauche Light (2004)
    Fahrenheit (1988)
    Paul Smith Man (2009)
    Burberry London (2006)
    Prada Amber pour Homme (2006)
    Live Jazz (1998)
    Eau des Baux (2006)
    Midnight in Paris EDP (2010)
    Arpege pour Homme (2005)
    Eau Duelle (2010)

Need to finish L'Homme. Challenge accepted!
    Current top 5:
    1) MDCI Invasion Barbare
    2) Imaginary Authors The Cobra and The Canary
    3) Guerlain Vetiver
    4) Parfums de Nicolai: New York
    5) A*Men: Pure Havane

SALES THREAD!
    SWAP THREAD

Kiton Men - My favorite, I could do it easily.
    Dior Fraicheur Cuir - My least favorite, I dont think I could do it and not hate myself for it.
    FragReviews.com - A Fresh Perspective

For Sale - For Swap - Niche & Designer - Bottles & Samples - Updated 12/09
    WANTED: None

I'm in. I'm sure I've got an old bottle of Aqua di Gio somewhere.

Start Monday?
    MY STEALTHY FREEDOM.

Just rekindled with a old love the last month. Egoiste CC. I'm now at probably 27/30 days with it. And I'm talking twice a day application. The most before this? Probably only 3 straight days with the same scent. I'm hooked.

I've worn TDH the past few days but wouldn't want to commit to a week. I could do it with most any of my fragrances but wouldn't want to.
    Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Quote Originally Posted by adam090273 View Post
    I'm in. I'm sure I've got an old bottle of Aqua di Gio somewhere.

Start Monday?
    Sure! Start any day you like. Just come back to this thread each day and post something along the lines of "One Week Challenge: Acqua di Gio, Day 1" I'll by Monday at the latest. I haven't decided what to wear yet.

Quote Originally Posted by The_Cologneist View Post
    LOL

Ya I will pass too. 3 days.. maybe.. not a full week. Not because I am stubborn or anything, there is just no point to limit myself.
    For me, it's not about limiting myself, actually. It's about seeing what happens if I go back to the way I was before I found basenotes, when I wore the same scent every day. I'm curious to find out: can I do it for even just a week? Will I discover more about the fragrance by wearing it exclusively for a week? Will I learn more about the way I use and choose fragrances? For me, part of the goal is to force myself to think about things I otherwise wouldn't. It's easy to say "I could do it, but I don't want to." I assume I could do it, but the truth is, maybe not. Maybe I've become so spoiled by having a great collection that I now need the luxury of choices and changes. When this year began, there was a thread about not buying any new scents and, instead, rediscovering what one already owns. I figured it'd be easy to not buy anything new for a while. It's easy to think that, but once I committed to not buying anything new until at least spring, I realized how hooked I was.

I haven't even started yet, but I've already learned something: I'm more indecisive than I realized!!! I haven't been able to decide what to wear for a week straight.

Basenotes Plus

What an interesting idea!

I wonder whether the findings will include discovering new facets of 'the one', or even just ending up not noticing it?

I'd be a little scared in case wearing one for a whole week put me off it forever.
    Directory contribution link:-
    http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php

For me, it's not about limiting myself, actually. It's about seeing what happens if I go back to the way I was before I found basenotes, when I wore the same scent every day.

I haven't even started yet, but I've already learned something: I'm more indecisive than I realized!!! I haven't been able to decide what to wear for a week straight.
    Hmm, I kind of discovered scent and Basenotes at the same time so I've never been a one bottle guy.

Personally I'd approach it from the perspective of what scent do I want to get to know more intimately and really see the different facets it shows at different times/situations/moods, rather than trying to think which one out of ALL of my scents do I love enough to wear for a week. After you've done the one week study with one scent, why not try it with a few of the other candidates.

having said that, my above nomination of Vettiveru is more because of the heat and humidity at the moment and the fact that I know it is a workhorse that can slog through any situation.
    Signature Scent

That, my friend, is why it's a challenge! What good would a challenge be if it weren't challenging?
    Hmmm... Yeah. Good point! Seems a bit masochistic, but interesting.

For me, it's not about limiting myself, actually. It's about seeing what happens if I go back to the way I was before I found basenotes, when I wore the same scent every day. I'm curious to find out: can I do it for even just a week? Will I discover more about the fragrance by wearing it exclusively for a week? Will I learn more about the way I use and choose fragrances? For me, part of the goal is to force myself to think about things I otherwise wouldn't. It's easy to say "I could do it, but I don't want to." I assume I could do it, but the truth is, maybe not. Maybe I've become so spoiled by having a great collection that I now need the luxury of choices and changes. When this year began, there was a thread about not buying any new scents and, instead, rediscovering what one already owns. I figured it'd be easy to not buy anything new for a while. It's easy to think that, but once I committed to not buying anything new until at least spring, I realized how hooked I was.

Before I got into fragrances, I didn't wear the same one every day - I wore nothing usually, with one fragrance occasionally.

I would imagine your perception would change a little about that one that you chose for the challenge- discovering how it works in various conditions, discovering facets of the drydown that you didn't notice before, etc.

I was initially thinking something very versatile and office friendly. That would fit the most situations, and therefore be the obvious choice. But perhaps something extremely complex - even if not very versatile - would be the better choice. Interlude Man to a meeting? You would need to adjust your spraying habits. Or, on the golf course? Just might work! A complex or non-versatile scent may actually be a better choice, since you will learn a great deal about it being forced to live with it for a whole week. So, even though you only had one scent, you will have learned something in that week that you may not have if you had picked something simple or something you already knew quite well.

Quote Originally Posted by lpp View Post
    I'd be a little scared in case wearing one for a whole week put me off it forever.
    Yes. I think I might forever look at that fragrance as "that one". And pass over it each time after that.

Quote Originally Posted by Buysblind View Post

Good luck!
    I noticed you haven't been around quite as much - Hope everything is ok, and that you will be back at it!
    Last edited by dougczar; 23rd August 2014 at 02:18 PM.
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    5. Puredistance - Black
    8. Brückner - Aoud 1

I could definitely do it wearing either Bruno Acampora Musc,Chanel No.5 Edt or even a dab of either Mitsouko or L'HB parfum as I know every facette of these and undoubtedly they work for me, so no new knowledge would be acquired and it would be only torture.:-)

Quote Originally Posted by hednic View Post
    Could I? Of course. Would I - no.
    Same here...

Basenotes Plus

sorry...can't bring myself to do it...I wear at least a minimum of 2 fragrances a day and sometimes months inbetween the same scent...variety is the spice of life...good luck to those that are playing...

Theoretically I could, and my choice would probably be DHI.

Would I? Nah!

You know what would be even more drastic? If someone else had to pick 1 of scents from your wardrobe that you would wear whole week . I may join in future but I have to first decide whether I want wear something that I love (like Gucci PH II) or something that I just want to get rid off fast
    TOP 3 hot weather:

1. Gucci Pour Homme II
    2. Lalique Encre Noire
    3. Creed Aventus

TOP 3 cold weather:

1. L'Instant de Guerlain Pour Homme Extreme
    2. Chanel Coromandel
    3. Dior Homme

Challenge accepted. I'm choosing El Capitan by Hove Perfumers.
    My strategy is to go with something basic, natural and non-intrusive. It would be the same if you had to eat the same thing for a week. It would be easier to eat a piece of bread and butter every day than a lobster, even though lobster is probably my favorite thing to eat.

I've done this numerous times when I travel. I normally just bring one bottle with me and I bubble wrap it so it won't break. Most of the time it's just something cheap and clean like Body Shop White Musk or Claiborne Sport.

I'm in but still trying to decide which one to go with.

One Week Challenge: Jovan White Musk for men, Day 2

I'm going with Tiffany for Men for a week.

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    Good luck with that folks.
    My sentiments exactly.

Yup. I lost. Wore Noir de Noir tonight. Woops.

Quote Originally Posted by dmckean44 View Post
    I've done this numerous times when I travel.
    Same. I actually just got back from visiting one of my best friend's and his wife. She likes fragrances but can be on the sensitive side to some and opinionated. In the past she said Bvlgari Pour Homme smelled like french fries and Bond Central Park was too strong and musky! lol This time I brought Terre D'Hermes Eau Tres Fraiche and D&G Light Blue Living Stromboli and let her sample them. She gave both a thumbs up and I ended up wearing TDH ETF almost every day while I was there for nearly two weeks (there were actually some days I went fragrance free). As a result, ETF has become pretty much my daytime signature scent for the time being.

Like many here, though, I wear a daytime fragrance, work, workout, shower and and wear a different fragrance in the evening. Also, when I sample a new fragrance I'll usually wear it everyday for 3-4 days. L'Homme Blanc Individuel, like you I used to pretty much be a one fragrance kind of guy many moons ago, so wearing one scent everyday was kinda cool. I didn't feel limited or like I was missing out on my other fragrances and my buddy and his wife liked ETF and complimented it several times. I do certainly enjoy the variety that this hobby affords, but I am steadfast about NOT being a collector. I'm constantly downsizing my collection when I do make new purchases. 25-30 fragrances is about the most I want to own at any one time.

I often do this when I first own a fragrance. I actually did twenty-one days straight with Une Fleur de Cassie this spring and had a full Rozy week this July. I've probably had longer periods if you count it as one of the fragrances I've worn rather than exclusively, as it's quite typical for me to wear two fragrances in a day, one morning; one evening.

My One Week Challenge: Al Rehab, Silver, Day 1

I chose this scent for several reasons. First of all, I think the smell is outstanding and very versatile, and I get excellent performance fro it as well: 8+ hours from 3 sprays with moderate projection that's almost too big for my taste but not quite. It's on the louder side of perfect for me. Secondly, I've gotten ridiculously good feedback on it (hey, I'm not going to lie, that's always nice). Thirdly, I have a tiny bit left from a Silver Mountain Water sample. So, I figure that after a week of wearing the Al Rehab, I'll revisit the Creed to see if the differences are great enough to be of any value to me.

Day 3 on El Capitan.

Blog Entries

My One Week Challenge: Al Rehab, Silver, Day 1

I chose this scent for several reasons. First of all, I think the smell is outstanding and very versatile, and I get excellent performance fro it as well: 8+ hours from 3 sprays with moderate projection that's almost too big for my taste but not quite. It's on the louder side of perfect for me. Secondly, I've gotten ridiculously good feedback on it (hey, I'm not going to lie, that's always nice). Thirdly, I have a tiny bit left from a Silver Mountain Water sample. So, I figure that after a week of wearing the Al Rehab, I'll revisit the Creed to see if the differences are great enough to be of any value to me.
    What if I'm doing a full wear for a week of something, but can't resist sampling a tiny bit of something else on my wrist? Have I already lost the challenge?

Basenotes Plus

Not if you scrub it off before we notice
    Directory contribution link:-
    http://www.basenotes.net/contribute.php

Quote Originally Posted by Petrichor View Post
    What if I'm doing a full wear for a week of something, but can't resist sampling a tiny bit of something else on my wrist? Have I already lost the challenge?
    CHEATER!

Then what - a small dab of your challenge scent, then freely applying a different "sample" each day? The potential for abuse of a grey area opens the door to a slippery slope and other cliches that I could probably come up with.

IMO, one must forsake all others while you are married to "The One" for the week (but not necessarily D&G The One which would actually be a good choice too).
    Seasonal favorites:

1. Creed - Spice & Wood
    2. Creed - Aventus
    3. Dior - Vetiver
    5. Puredistance - Black
    8. Brückner - Aoud 1

Quote Originally Posted by Petrichor View Post
    Yup.

The point of the challenge is to indeed challenge yourself. I'm dying to head out today and sample a few things, but I'm not going to. Not until next Sunday (or until I fail the challenge... whichever comes first).

You could always start again tomorrow. Mondays are better starting points anyway! I've already decided that if I fail, I'm immediately starting over.

I'm already on day 5 of wearing only git. Love it so much i bought 3 bottles lol.. yep that was me buying all the git off the sales thread. lol
    Last edited by Mitchapalooza; 24th August 2014 at 10:39 PM.

You should have made a rule that it has to be a frag you've had for longer than 2 months.. i think its pretty easy to wear something you just got for a week since you're still in the honeymoon phase of the relationship. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Mitchapalooza View Post
    You should have made a rule that it has to be a frag you've had for longer than 2 months.. i think its pretty easy to wear something you just got for a week since you're still in the honeymoon phase of the relationship. lol
    Oh, I don't know. I think it's fine if somebody buys a new scent and wears it for a week straight. I almost bought Terre d'Hemres Eau Tres Fraiche yesterday with the intention of going a week straight with it... but you're right about a honeymoon phase. Been there, done that! I'll be curious to see if I'm absolutely sick and tired of Al Rehab Silver by the end of the week. I'm loving it today! ...but today is day 1 for me. LOL.

OK, I am in. I will be wearing Hornero by Fueguia 1833, which is the one I am wearing today.

Reasons behind my decision are quite prosaic:

- I have a 30 ml EdT that I used sporadically, the idea is to use it all in order to buy a 100ml P bottle.

- Vetiver is my favorite note, and since this is a vetiver-based fragrance, there is not much thniking besides it.

I will be writing my impressions along the weekend.