Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Default Re: Cheaper alternatives to Portrait of a Lady

Fille de Berlin is nice but not quite like POaL. Luten's is pretty much a rose soliflore. Very good in it's own right and significantly cheaper.
    “You must have a perfume. A perfume is the perfect type of a perfect pleasure. It is exquisite, and it leaves one unsatisfied. What more can one want?” Oscar Wilde

Rose d'Homme -- Le Parfums de Rosine

About £85 for 100 ml

I held myself today not to buy it. Bought a 250ml of Balade Sauvage instead. My greediness made me blind. 250ml for the same price as 100ml of POAL.
    Last edited by Beck; 14th June 2018 at 03:57 AM.
    Currently wearing: Hindu Grass by Nasomatto

Quote Originally Posted by Beck View Post
    I held myself today not to buy it. Bought a 250ml of Balade Sauvage instead. My greediness made me blind. 250ml for the same price as 100ml of POAL.
    Congratulations!

Though these scents are SO different...
    Watch my recent video review of
    Guerlain L'Homme Ideal - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1-PW_V1G0aw

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by pluran View Post
    There are rarely any genuine alternatives to fragrances you like. Especially not for things of real quality. The idea is save money and buy the thing. You'll feel a lot better.
    I agree. The only time I buy cheap clones is for "research". The only time I buy normally priced or expensive "similar scents" is if I actually like them better. If I love a scent and want it, I buy what I can afford, or when I can afford it.

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    While POAL is indeed rose-patch with incense, most other rose-patch scents are quite different from POAL. As mentioned, it depends a bit on why one wants POAL: whether one likes POAL for what it exactly is, or whether one likes the idea of POAL. In the latter case Rose-patch scents are naturally a good starting point, and I would suggest the cheapest but good quality rose-patch scent being Aramis 900 if one shops online in the US (at about $20 for a 100 ml bottle).
    This is an extremely good point. I respect POAL, but I don't really love it in a "must have" way. No regrets that it's not in my wardrobe. My samples are enough. The idea of forking out that level of cash for something I would rarely wear, just to say I owned it - simply doesn't make sense. But Aramis 900 is on my buy list. When I heard that it was a nice masculine version of Aromatics Elixir, I think that pushed me over the edge. Appreciate the tip that it can be had for a "free shipping" price.

Sounds great! My money would be $125 on a 100 mL bottle of Caswell-Massey's new RÒS scent. My first wear at 1 spray was rather underwhelming - just another men's rose - but when I went with 2 sprays on my arm, it opened up like crazy, and I was blown away. There is a streak of anise in it that brought it up to FBW for me, and on top of that, there is some dark, dried-figgy, spicy accord that got me to buy Spicebomb Extreme. I never got that much pleasure out of Portrait of a Lady. POAL was more like some wine that was the star of the tasting, and you get WHY it was the star, but the third-place lead-up wine was the one that made the lasting "WOW" impression.

But then again, I don't wear dark rose scents that much - even my favored Chanel Égoïste! My travel-sized RÒS will be all I need for a while, I'm sure.

Kinda funny - I think POAL was ruined for me when somebody pointed out part of its construction. I won't repeat it here, but once that happened, I could not unsmell this aspect that somehow brought it down a notch. In contrast, figuring out what makes RÒS tick only made it better for me.
    There is no beauty / That cannot be more abused / To beauty's effect.
    / blog:// https://cologniac.com / raging for the machines

Let's Dance

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Perfumisto View Post
    Kinda funny - I think POAL was ruined for me when somebody pointed out part of its construction. I won't repeat it here, but once that happened, I could not unsmell this aspect that somehow brought it down a notch.
    Feel free to repeat, who cares if it ruins POAL for several including me, but wouldn't it be great fun if you/I/we could somehow do the same for Aventus, Sauvage, Bleu de Chanel and La Nuit de L'Homme (basically all these irritating "bro hype monsters"), and it worked? Ah, they say, here comes that guy again spewing hate (I think it should be 'hatred', but somehow 'hate' sounds more 'right' in a post-truth world and drives home the point better, or, in alternative lingo, 'hits the spot'). Why no love for awesome juice?

Quote Originally Posted by AntonPan View Post
    Congratulations!

Though these scents are SO different...
    Hahaha. Very true. Balade was inside my mind since December. POAL now became that little devil in the right side of our head fighting against the poor angel in the left side. The devil sings so sweetly. But I realized my collection misses some nice freshies. I need some simple frags. Another nice freshie inside my mind is Xerjoff Renaissance.
    Thank you!
    BTW, hope you are enjoying the World Cup.

Sounds great! My money would be $125 on a 100 mL bottle of Caswell-Massey's new RÒS scent. My first wear at 1 spray was rather underwhelming - just another men's rose - but when I went with 2 sprays on my arm, it opened up like crazy, and I was blown away. There is a streak of anise in it that brought it up to FBW for me, and on top of that, there is some dark, dried-figgy, spicy accord that got me to buy Spicebomb Extreme. I never got that much pleasure out of Portrait of a Lady. POAL was more like some wine that was the star of the tasting, and you get WHY it was the star, but the third-place lead-up wine was the one that made the lasting "WOW" impression.

But then again, I don't wear dark rose scents that much - even my favored Chanel Égoïste! My travel-sized RÒS will be all I need for a while, I'm sure.

Kinda funny - I think POAL was ruined for me when somebody pointed out part of its construction. I won't repeat it here, but once that happened, I could not unsmell this aspect that somehow brought it down a notch. In contrast, figuring out what makes RÒS tick only made it better for me.
    Ròs sounds promising. I will take note of it and try to find. I love rose scents, from the most cheap-smelling to the most sophisticated. I love anise! Oh, I completely get the wine metaphor. Excellent one!
    Now I beg you: I need to know the secret you know on POAL! I need to exorcise that little bastard devil inside my head!!! You can PM this little prayer for me. I won't repeat it publicly. I just need the devil out.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by freewheelingvagabond View Post
    Feel free to repeat, who cares if it ruins POAL for several including me, but wouldn't it be great fun if you/I/we could somehow do the same for Aventus, Sauvage, Bleu de Chanel and La Nuit de L'Homme (basically all these irritating "bro hype monsters"), and it worked? Ah, they say, here comes that guy again spewing hate (I think it should be 'hatred', but somehow 'hate' sounds more 'right' in a post-truth world and drives home the point better, or, in alternative lingo, 'hits the spot'). Why no love for awesome juice?

LOL!

It's fascinating how fragrances can be sabotaged or enabled by viral perspective. It's like revealing a magician's trick, wholly or even partly. "Watch under the table." That's all it takes. Remove one misdirection and the illusion fails.

A BN friend killed Varvatos Artisan for me by pointing out a synthetic note in the opening. It took me years to forget it enough to be able to "not smell" it.

I killed Musc Ravageur for somebody else with the analogy of "plastic cinnamon diapers"! Oh, that was a fun one, but there was an innocent bystander. Play that role a time or two, and perspective changes in a different way.

No, I won't do it. You may know this truth - I'm sure many do - but some here would surely lose respect for the "handsome gal". I won't kiss and tell.

The trouble with some of the bro frags is that the truth can help them, ironically. Ambrox - the freshness of the most important ambergris chemical - it eases the fear of the freaky freshness. Sometimes truth doesn't have the desired effect. It's like the accusation of nouveau riche - many a girlfriend has been scared in the wrong direction by that insult of the "other guy".

Every fragrance needs somebody to love it. Let the Lady have her bevy of smitten admirers!

LOL!

It's fascinating how fragrances can be sabotaged or enabled by viral perspective. It's like revealing a magician's trick, wholly or even partly. "Watch under the table." That's all it takes. Remove one misdirection and the illusion fails.

A BN friend killed Varvatos Artisan for me by pointing out a synthetic note in the opening. It took me years to forget it enough to be able to "not smell" it.

I killed Musc Ravageur for somebody else with the analogy of "plastic cinnamon diapers"! Oh, that was a fun one, but there was an innocent bystander. Play that role a time or two, and perspective changes in a different way.

No, I won't do it. You may know this truth - I'm sure many do - but some here would surely lose respect for the "handsome gal". I won't kiss and tell.

The trouble with some of the bro frags is that the truth can help them, ironically. Ambrox - the freshness of the most important ambergris chemical - it eases the fear of the freaky freshness. Sometimes truth doesn't have the desired effect. It's like the accusation of nouveau riche - many a girlfriend has been scared in the wrong direction by that insult of the "other guy".

Every fragrance needs somebody to love it. Let the Lady have her bevy of smitten admirers!
    Ok. But what you have done to the poor Musc Ravageur is enough for you not even having the chance to purgate in purgatory or even toddle in limbo. It's enough to go straight to hell without judgment.

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Ròs sounds promising. I will take note of it and try to find. I love rose scents, from the most cheap-smelling to the most sophisticated. I love anise! Oh, I completely get the wine metaphor. Excellent one!
    Now I beg you: I need to know the secret you know on POAL! I need to exorcise that little bastard devil inside my head!!! You can PM this little prayer for me. I won't repeat it publicly. I just need the devil out.
    Hahahahaha!!!!

Do try RÒS! I think you will love it!

But I just did some digging around, to see if POAL's scandalous past has ever been revealed here, and it has NOT.

No , I am her physician. I take her secret to the grave. But know this much - she was ratted out by one of the best. A true aficionado of fragrance, fashion, and art - and with many world-class secrets of their own. Blessed with a remarkable nose and even more remarkable humility.

Let it just be said that The Lady has a secret, and is even MORE desirable than people realize, because of the genius of her construction.

To The Lady! May she always be wildly admired!

Basenotes Plus

Blog Entries

Ok. But what you have done to the poor Musc Ravageur is enough for you not even having the chance to purgate in purgatory or even toddle in limbo. It's enough to go straight to hell without judgment.
    Trust me, I felt guilty. Even having smelled non-cinnamon plastic diapers for years!

Quote Originally Posted by redneck perfumisto View Post
    trust me, i felt guilty. Even having smelled non-cinnamon plastic diapers for years!
    lol!