Code of Conduct
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Re: What Are The Best Tobacco Colognes...Without The Sweet

Dolce and Gabbana ( the original 1994 formulation) has a nice tobacco . A newer one that is comparable is TF Oud Tobacco . Neither one is sweet.
    Current top choices:
    1- Portrait of A Lady
    2- Guerlain Derby
    3- Tom Ford Cafe Rose
    4- Bond 9 New York Oud
    5- Clive Christian #1
    6- Coromandel by Chanel
    7- Acqua Di Parmal Oud
    8- Chanel 19
    9- Dior Oud Isphahn
    10- Carnal Flower
    Currently wearing: Chypre Palatin by MDCI

I also find that if it isn't tobacco and heavy on the sweet - then it's a powdery tobacco scent.

I would appreciate any further recommendations.

If it helps in terms of comparisons - I really dig Michael Kors For Men, which seems to be a love or hate cologne for some people here. For some, it's awesome with the tobacco, leather and a hint of cherry that isn't sweet. For others, it's like spraying gasoline on yourself.

Thanks,

HM

Quote Originally Posted by Hey Man View Post
    I really dig Michael Kors For Men, which seems to be a love or hate cologne for some people here. For some, it's awesome with the tobacco, leather and a hint of cherry that isn't sweet. For others, it's like spraying gasoline on yourself.

Thanks,

HM
    Replica Jazz Club- rum leather tobacco
    McGraw Southern Blend- whiskey tobacco
    CK One shock- tobacco amber cherry
    Currently wearing: Aventus by Creed

Freed from BN Institution

Default Re: What Are The Best Tobacco Colognes...Without The Sweet Or Powder

Tom Ford Tobacco Oud and Back to Back byKilian are ones to consider.

Tobacco Oud is probably the only one without the sweetness you describe. But if you want one with some sweetness that comes from cognac, check out Roja Parfums Enigma, which is probably my favorite in this category.

Quote Originally Posted by NeoXerxes View Post
    Tobacco Oud is probably the only one without the sweetness you describe. But if you want one with some sweetness that comes from cognac, check out Roja Parfums Enigma, which is probably my favorite in this category.
    Even with the discount fragrance places that I buy from - Tom Ford colognes are too expensive. It's excessive just for his name. If it makes it easier, I am looking for colognes in the $100 dollar range and under.

Nonthaburi (a suburban province located immediately to the north of Bangkok)
    Blog Entries

+1 to Tobacco Oud & Tribute Attar, they fit your description perfectly, so dry and dark.
    ***My favourite from my collection***

-------- Amouage: Tribute Attar, Jubilation XXV, GoldMan
    ------ Serge Lutens: Chêne, Tubéreuse Criminell, Ambre Sultan
    -------- Les Exclusifs de Chanel: Sycamore, Coromandel
    ------ Tom Ford Private Blend: Noir de Noir, Tobacco Vanille
    ------- Hermès: Terre D'Hermès Parfum, Ambre Narguilé
    ------ EDP Frederic Malle: Carnal Flower
    -------- Neela Vermire Creations: Trayee
    ------ Parfum MDCI: Invasion Barbare
    Currently wearing: Issara by Parfums Dusita

I would definitely try the Sonoma Scent Studio Tabac Aurea. If you want a sample of it, smell the tobacco in an unlit cigarette. That's exactly what I get out of it.

Quote Originally Posted by N.CAL Fragrance Reviewer View Post
    Tom Ford Tobacco Oud and Back to Back byKilian are ones to consider.
    Many people seem to recommend Back To Black, but it sounds like the opposite of what I am looking for because there are notes of honey and fruit. Some reviews have said it is indeed a very sweet tobacco type cologne as opposed to just cigars, booze, leather, spices and gasoline in a bottle.

Is the sweet factor being overstated?

Thanks,

HM

Quote Originally Posted by NeoXerxes View Post
    Is there anything like Tobacco Oud without the Tom Ford prices. Something that easily found at most stores?

Many people seem to recommend Back To Black, but it sounds like the opposite of what I am looking for because there are notes of honey and fruit. Some reviews have said it is indeed a very sweet tobacco type cologne as opposed to just cigars, booze, leather, spices and gasoline in a bottle.

Is the sweet factor being overstated?

Thanks,

HM
    I own Back to Black, and I can tell you that the sweet factor is not overstated. It is a sweet honey, berries, and tobacco bomb, with a puff of powder in the mix. Gorgeous fragrance, but if you hate sweet, you will hate this.

And no, I don't think there is an alternative to Tom Ford's Tobacco Oud. If you like it, it's best to save up and buy the real thing. But I'd definitely advise you to sample this one first.

Success by MCM
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Currently wearing: Antico Caruso by Profumum

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Cool thanks. Are these colognes that you both wear? I would generally prefer feedback from people who actually wear the cologne and love it.
    Absolutely wear Cuir Tabac and love it.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Back to Black is great, but It's definitely a sweet fragrance and one of the most powdery things I've ever smelled. It is very good, but given your criteria, it sounds like your idea of hell.

Given that you've already stated that you don't want to exceed the $100 range, the Sonoma Scent Studio is the best to my nose ($75), followed by Jeke (which is a bit more than $100, but you could probably find it cheaper on eBay or something).

Have discovered Jeke since this Thread started and can happily add it as a terrific one to try.

I have Back to Black and it's a nice crowd-pleaser kind of thing but I seldom wear it.

Tobacco Vanille is a bit of bait and switch for me - glorious tobacco opening then vanilla candle from here to the distant horizon.
    “Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that 'my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.'”
    ― Isaac Asimov

Great bang for the buck right here.

Currently wearing: Antico Caruso by Profumum

Quote Originally Posted by mr. reasonable View Post
    Have discovered Jeke since this Thread started and can happily add it as a terrific one to try.

I have Back to Black and it's a nice crowd-pleaser kind of thing but I seldom wear it.

Tobacco Vanille is a bit of bait and switch for me - glorious tobacco opening then vanilla candle from here to the distant horizon.
    I am very interested in trying Jeke and not that this bothers me personally, but do you find it as intense as some of the reviews here claim? For example I LOVE Michael Kors For Men, but some people here think the opening smells like you have just poured gasoline on yourself. I totally disagree, but I was just curious if Jeke has a similar Michael Kors intensity - which would actually be a plus for me.

Would you wear Jeke at work - assuming that you wear cologne at work?

Thanks!

Default Re: What Are The Best Tobacco Colognes...Without The Sweet, Honey Or Powder?

Tobacco, leather chairs and all that 70's mens club vibe... you should be looking at vintage Equipage. While it's not just a tobacco fragrance, it captures your description perfectly. What a majestic achievement in masculine perfumery.

Tobacco without excessive sweetness is rare, Czech & Speake Cuba and Vintage Tabarome are both such fragrances. Both are quite good, but not among my favourites.

Basenotes Plus

Default Re: What Are The Best Tobacco Colognes...Without The Sweet, Honey Or Powder?

Hilde Soliani Bell'Antonio

+1 tobacco Oud by TF
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Ludlow View Post
    Tobacco, leather chairs and all that 70's mens club vibe... you should be looking at vintage Equipage. While it's not just a tobacco fragrance, it captures your description perfectly. What a majestic achievement in masculine perfumery.
    Out of the several tobacco fragrances I know, I perfectly agree with this. They're all quite sweet and most of the times a bit boring, or naif. While vintage Equipage is still the best rendition ever of that "mood" the thread starter mentioned - and for me, however, by far much classier and fascinating than most of (if not any) tobacco fragrances.

My fragrance reviews | Ye Olde Civet Cat

Basenotes Institution

Quote Originally Posted by deadidol View Post
    Back to Black is great, but It's definitely a sweet fragrance and one of the most powdery things I've ever smelled. It is very good, but given your criteria, it sounds like your idea of hell...
    I totally agree
    "When you become comfortable with uncertainty. infinite possibilities open up in your life"

-- Eckhart Tolle
    Currently wearing: Habit Rouge by Guerlain

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Ludlow View Post

Tobacco without excessive sweetness is rare, Czech & Speake Cuba and Vintage Tabarome are both such fragrances. Both are quite good, but not among my favourites.
    I am very intrigued. Is Equipage under the $100 mark? When you say vintage - does that mean that it's been reformulated and the present version sucks?

Vintage version is indeed vastly superior. 50 ml of vintage Equipage, new in box, can be had for around $70.

Banned

I am very interested in trying Jeke and not that this bothers me personally, but do you find it as intense as some of the reviews here claim? For example I LOVE Michael Kors For Men, but some people here think the opening smells like you have just poured gasoline on yourself. I totally disagree, but I was just curious if Jeke has a similar Michael Kors intensity - which would actually be a plus for me.

Would you wear Jeke at work - assuming that you wear cologne at work?

Thanks!
    Seeming as the thread is still going I'm wondering why nobody recommended Michael Kors. I know it has plum as a note but I wouldn't describe it as sweet, more boozy.
    Oh I see you are the thread starter so you already know the scent. Anyway, +1 for me.

Quote Originally Posted by SexySmells View Post
    Great bang for the buck right here.

They went all out on that bottle. Love it!

My recommendation on a bone-dry tobacco is Yosh Sombre Negra - it doesn't have any sweetness to it. My favorite tobacco scent.

I find Amouage Journey Man to be one of the most pleasing tobacco heavy fragrances I've come across. It's the cold-weather version of Tabarome Millesime, to my tastes. It lasts in cold weather, projects, isn't sweet, and generally lifts my mood.
    Favorite Fragrances:
    Fetish by: Roja Dove
    Amber Aoud by: Roja Dove
    Amber Aoud Absolue Precieux by: Roja Dove
    Vetiver Extrait by: Roja Dove
    "Creation E" Enigma by: Roja Dove
    Windsor by: Creed
    Spice and Wood by: Creed
    Pure White Cologne by: Creed
    Jardin d'Amalfi by: Creed
    M by: Puredistance
    17/17 Homme by: Xerjoff
    Tribute and Homage Attars by: Amouage

Reside in McLean, Va., Manhattan NYC, Manuel Antonio Costa Rica & Búzios Brasil

Quote Originally Posted by hedonist222 View Post
    Les Jeux sont Faits - Jovoy

No sweetness
    Another very good one!
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve my or other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

I perceive a lot of honey in vermeil, it's very sweet to my nose. might not be what the OP is looking for. It is great though. I will plus one to Polo (1978) for it is a bit different than other tobacco scent in my wardrobe. Less of a fresh open bag of Levi Garrett, and more of burning tobacco in pipe scent. The original Dunhill (1934) might be worth a look too. I enjoy it fairly often.

I quite love Tabac Aurea and Jeke, but I find both to be very sweet. TA wears pretty linear on me, all smoke and sweetness. Jeke starts intensely smoky and gets sweeter over time. I got to sample the Jeke EdP once and loved the balance there, but mostly I'm familiar with the currently sold parfum.

Enjoying the other replies and taking notes.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast