Code of Conduct

Default S.O.T.D. — Tuesday, 2 September, 2014.

Default Re: S.O.T.D. — Tuesday, 2 September, 2014.

Italian Leather by Memo

Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals don't warrant or deserve other individuals' acknowledgement or respect.

Blog Entries

Good morning!

Seville a l'Aube for a long shift today.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Basenotes Plus

M7 Fresh by YSL

Have a great day everyone!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hello all. A sample of Tom Ford Velvet Orchid.
    DONNA

My NY by DKNY

Basenotes Plus

Hello everyone. Bvlgari Black for me.
    "I felt something so intense, I could only express it in a perfume." - Jacques Guerlain

Thumbs up Re: S.O.T.D. — Tuesday, 2 September, 2014.

Have I told you about the scent of jasmine? Have I spoken about the smell of the sea? The earth is scented. And I perfume myself to enhance what I am. That's why I can not wear a perfume that bothers me. Perfuming is an instinctive wisdom. And like all art, it requires some knowledge of yourself..."
    Clarice Lispector ( 1920-1977) - Perfumes da Terra / Earth
    Perfumes

Good morning, good smelling people...

SSS To Dream today for an early day at work. Hoping everyone has had a good start to the week.

Basenotes Plus

Day 7 of the One Week Challenge and I am still (happy) in Lyric Woman! What a wonderful fragrance!

Danie - don't worry, "having it off" is not too bad, all things considered....I think you guys would say "necking"
    “There is no exquisite beauty… without some strangeness in the proportion.”
    ― Edgar Allan Poe

ExtremeK, I missed your post about your trip and your beautiful pics until this AM. Wonderful!

Back to work today after a restful 3 day weekend, so I am wearing Chanel 31 rue Cambon. I have a tennis match this evening, so hopefully the lovely drydown on this will keep me calm

Good morning, everyone!

Just a few more days of TennisFest/US Open to go, and I'm in a bit of vintage Aliage for today's action. I brought most of my favorite tennis fragrances with me, and this is one from waaaay back when, but it still does the trick if I don't apply too lavishly (lots of strong and herby oakmoss in this one.) Fed's playing tonight - allez Roger! (We're super-fans, too Mocha - I mention Roger so frequently that kalli used to think I was referring to my husband, hehe ) But Dimitrov (aka BabyFed) is up first, and he's lots of fun to watch as well ...don't know who to pull for though in that one, as Monfils is yet another favorite ...the men's field is deep. (And btw, congrats to Murray, Jon. Tsonga made him work, but couldn't claim a single set - your man is looking good!)

Okay then, I'll talk to y'all later - have a good one!

You smell *wonderful* Claire, and I take it you've smelled wonderful all week - great choice!
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Oh, I did not realize that Aliage was a sport scent - how about that.

Yesterday for the holiday I spent an afternoon down by the lake with some friends. Later evening my SOTE was Cuir de Lancome another sample provided to me by danieq. I am not familiar with leather scents but this was warm and cozy for me and I think it is my favorite from the samples I have tried so far.

Today's SOTD is L.T. Piver's Heliotrope Blanche, a sample thanks to darkdreams. This has the familiar heliotrope-almond-vanilla accord. I am surprised by the sillage I am getting from this; it is very enveloping on me. I have some old Mary Chess Heliotrope left to compare it to.

Have a great day, everyone!

Rusι by Corday

Good morning, dearies! Thank you everyone who has been thinking of me (Jon ) in regards to the uber-promising first date, which totally blew any expectations out of the water.

And Mike, don't you call me a straggler! Hehe. I spent the last two days in a veritable cocoon of post-date bliss. It was the best first date imaginable. He was a consummate gentleman. We had dinner at a fantastic restaurant, with cocktails and a bottle of wine and a bananas foster bread pudding for dessert, then had bourbon cocktails at a cool Prohibition-style jazz club. Even had a near crisis - I forgot the valet service closed at 11, and we were still on the town at 1. He cooly called the restaurant and told them the issue and sure enough they still had my keys. *Whew* And we even already have a song. I know, I know, Erin, you've only had one date, but I'm telling you. It was that good.

Also, he loved Cuir de Russie. I told him it came out in 1924 and at the jazz club we mused that if we were back in time at a Prohibition-era nightclub, women would have been wearing the same scent. I think he appreciated the backstory. He thought it smelled like mint and anise (though we were standing next to the bar where they were using tons of fresh mint). That had me scratching my head, but hey, he's sniffing happily so I can't complain! I'm willing to bet I can make a perfumisto out of him.

Evangeline, Norell is high on my vintage sniff list. From time to time I peek around ebay for a bottle. It sounds like something I'd love. Hyacinth and oakmoss...yes, please!

(((ExtremeK))) Your photos are desktop-background-worthy. Wow; what a lovely trip! So good to see you. Sounds like things have been crazy for you lately; here's to hoping you're getting to enjoy some you-time.

Mike, can't wait to hear how things are progressing with your new beau. He's a lucky guy.

Today I'm in Diorella, 90s edt. I have asked for a bottle of this or Premier Figuier for my birthday (I turn 30 in 8 days, yee!) so we'll see if I end up with one. My parents are more likely to give me money but I'd rather have a bottle.
    Last edited by ErinK; 2nd September 2014 at 02:36 PM.
    The best and most beautiful things in the world cannot be seen or even touched - they must be felt with the heart. ~ Helen Keller

Wow, ErinK! That sounds awesome, so happy for you! Also I love bourbon in cocktails, LOL.

Good morning everyone Seems like it's a romantic wave over Basenotrs these days Very happy for both of you, Mike and Erin I've just recently admitted to myself that I'm having a crush on one of my colleages. Just too bad he's been away for weeks now,due to his son recently was diagnosed with diabetes I'm too shy/ chicken to make any moves on him anyway. Sotd for me ended up as Egoiste. Quite happy about my choice Have a great day all !

Hooray, ErinK!!! I'm so glad you enjoyed yourself, and I know you looked and smelled *fantastic*. We both had Prohibition-style jazz clubs in our weekends, but mine was the old-fogey version: David and I enjoyed a re-watching of "Midnight in Paris," which is such a *wonderful* film and makes me fall in love with Paris every time I watch it. You need to see it if you haven't. The Hemingway character couldn't be more perfect.

RHM, I hope your back is improving.

8 minutes until our hopefully-final conference call on the transaction I've been working on. Cross your fingers!!

My collection feels woefully devoid of proper woody fragrances. I sense a couple of purchases coming on, including Jaisalmer. But today I'm wearing Cinema. It isn't quite hitting the spot, but it will do.

[+2 on loving bourbon cocktails, especially those with fresh ginger!!]

Wow Erin, that does sound like an excellent date, first or otherwise! Good for you, and for him!

Hi there ExtremeK - long time no smell! I can tell you're having a great summer; I just went back to peek at your vacation photos - how very beautiful!
    Science is not only compatible with spirituality, it is a profound source of spirituality. When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages, when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling, that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual. ..Carl Sagan

Hi, Evangeline!!!! Your summer in Paris sounds divine! Some day I'm totally going to do that. [Starts mentally counting years until retirement] Seriously, what a wonderful way to spend a summer and to honor Sylvie's memory. (((Hugs))) to you, Tony, and your mom.

Basenotes Plus

Good afternoon all !.

Erin, sounds like an absolutely fantastic evening - fine dining and great company takes some beating, doesn't it ? - I imagine the time flew by.

Mrs E, thanks for the congrats . I won't be counting any chickens where Murray is concerned though, just cautiously crossing fingers.

Wolfie travel safely and enjoy your European break.

Bogner Deep Forest.

ExtremeK ..

Last edited by JON RODGERS; 2nd September 2014 at 04:06 PM.

DON'T DRINK AND DRESS

Blog Entries

Helmut Lang Cuiron Pour Homme
    'Those who grow too big for their pants will be exposed in the end'--anon

I've been wearing Cabaret to wear around lots of hospital and doctor appointments, including the joys of having needles put into my knee joints with no anaesthetic (thanks doctor, I was hoping you'd numb it first!) so now I'm here in my recliner with both of my quadriceps twitching at about 3 times a second frequency, with my knee joints sending shooting pains with every twitch. I sure hope that this stops before bedtime.
    'I suggest we learn to love ourselves before it's made illegal.'

Iris Noir ♥

Tabac Rouge

I had a wonderful time at the wedding this weekend in Cincinnati! I hope everyone had a great weekend. Now that I'm back at work, I'm super busy...even though I only took 1 day off work. I promised a picture (I don't look my best but oh well!), I'm missing the suit jacket in this one but it gives you an idea of what I was wearing.

I'll be back with more on the wedding tomorrow when things calm down. Today, trying to stay non-stressed with all this work in Bruno Fazzolari Lampblack (I ended up buying another after my brother stole mine.)

I had a minute during my lunch break....here's a better photo other than the Pee Wee card dealer haha.

Last edited by rynegne; 2nd September 2014 at 07:06 PM.

Basenotes Institution

ClaireV - congrat's on a week of Lyric Woman, I haven't done that in a LONG TIME. I think the trick is to pick the right fragrance. I am pretty sure I could do that with Shalimar.
    ErinK - so glad to hear your weekend was great sweetie...I always enjoy hearing non-fragrance people describe what they're smelling when we ask them to sniff us...it can be interesting and a bit bizarre also. Your description of your evening made me think about the scent Jazz Club by Maison Martin Margiela, which I have a sample of at home & haven't worn yet. Thanks for asking about my guy - more details to come...for now I am very excited about spending time together. We hung out most of the weekend.
    sfmedusa - I hope that your pain goes away quickly
    rynegne - glad to hear the wedding went well, I think the outfit looks good...although I must admit it has a whiff of Las-Vegas-blackjack-dealer to it...maybe it's the vest. lol

For some odd reason today I felt like being 'overwhelmed' with a scent, so I reached for my sample of:

Zahd by Slumberhouse

About 5 hours into the scent, the most prominent orange blossom/neroli scent appears out of nowhere - underneath the huge cranberry sludge. Very interesting. Every time I wear this it's a different experience.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

Somewhere between that and Pee Wee Herman haha. Not a fan of the style to be quite honest - and nobody should ever have a 3-piece suit in August!

Quote Originally Posted by mikeperez23 View Post
    rynegne - glad to hear the wedding went well, I think the outfit looks good...although I must admit it has a whiff of Las-Vegas-blackjack-dealer to it...maybe it's the vest. lol

hello all,

,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,(vacation wardrobe iterations....)

Inspired by Evangeline, I sampled both my Grandiflora today. Michel when I exercised with friends and Sandrine after showering and dressing.

Sfmedusa, feel better soon!

Rynegne, that is one huge smile you are wearing; it would make any outfit look good! As an aside, Mike, I think it's the red bow tie that says "All bets, please."

Erin, so glad you had so much fun.

Evangeline, that's such a funny Federer story. To be fair, there are a lot of us who have dreamed of having him as a husband.

Jon, probably no one feels that way about Andy Murray.

No - just kidding! I'm sure many girls have a poster of him. I'm just too old. I remember a friend in college who had a Mats Wilander poster, which made me feel old at 19, because that meant Bjorn Borg was passι already. And Bjorn Borg still makes my heart flutter -- even today. Remember those Fila shirts and the short shorts? Deep sigh.

Basenotes Plus

SotE - Jeux de Peau.

Hump Day tomorrow - will anyone be having it off ?

Blog Entries

Laura Tonatto-
    Violette A Sydney
    Candied violets in the woods.

Blog Entries

Hahahahahaha Jon, thanks for the belly laugh! Actually, l'll be "having it off" tomorrow *snigger*. And Claire, there's a little more to it than just "necking".

Erin, so glad your date was a success!

((((sfmedusa)))) that sounds horrid, l do hope you feel better quick.

Re-applied Seville a l'Aube this evening.
    "What is this secret connection between the soul, and sea, clouds and perfumes? The soul itself appears to be sea, cloud and perfume..." - from Zorba the Greek by Nikos Kazantzakis.

Lean in closer, dear
    Blog Entries

Haven't been here since Friday, so I've got a lot of smileys to get out of my system.

Hello, teardrop and everybody
    Zilpha, welcome! I hope we see you often on SotD.
    Oh-ooh, Erin.
    Party on, 30Roses.
    勝美, you're sneaky-clever.
    Sfmedusa, that sounds just miserable. As my husband might say (as a compliment and for encouragement), “You’re a tough old bird.”
    Easyfish, I couldn't take my eyes off that Reve d’Ossian label you posted on Sunday.

Very pretty bouquet you shared with us on Saturday, Kumquat.
    Very schnazzy (with the jacket), Rynegne
    (with the vest alone, you appear to the aforementioned valet from Erin’s post)
    ExtremeK, you’re here! You’re here! I thoroughly studied your gorgeous photos—every stone, fixture, and embellishment; from the nine-over-two windows to the rosehips. How ever were you able to pack your suitcases and leave New England?

I'm looking at the weather forecast and plan on boycotting the outdoors until Saturday. Too hot to be active. Started off the morning with Bel Respiro and sweated all over it just cleaning the birdbath and doing a few other things on the south side of the house.
    If you’re reading today’s thread before bedtime, Cestrum, I wish you pleasant dreams.
    Nighty-night to you, too, Mike.
    Last edited by Quarry; 2nd September 2014 at 09:48 PM.
    In a world where 6 million people are added each month, every landscape matters.

The reason I allow the doctors to do this is because I plan on feeling a whole load better tomorrow, so thank you for the moral support everybody

Now all I need is for someone else to bring me some dinner and I'll be sorted!
    'I suggest we learn to love ourselves before it's made illegal.'

Basenotes Plus

Quote Originally Posted by teardrop View Post
    Hahahahahaha Jon, thanks for the belly laugh! Actually, l'll be "having it off" tomorrow *snigger*. And Claire, there's a little more to it than just "necking".

Considerably more, I'd say

sfmedusa, that procedure sounded horrendous - hope everything settles down in time for a good night's rest.

Dinner is served ...

Basenotes Plus

Really??? Ok, then things must have REALLY changed since I was a teenager! Or maybe it just means something more harmless in Ireland than it does in the UK - although that would be a first, since we Irish are usually about 120% filthier than you guys

Ryan - looking good!

I am breaking my Lyric run tonight with Mecca Blend by Abdul Samad Al Qurashi
    “There is no exquisite beauty… without some strangeness in the proportion.”
    ― Edgar Allan Poe

Basenotes Institution

If we're talking 'tennis hunks' then we have to discuss The 100 Hottest Tennis Players of the Open Era. lol. My favorite: Number #10. (sigh) Although Mocha, I must admit, Borg is pretty easy-on-the-eyes. UPDATE: I realized I posted the wrong photo of Borg:

This afternoon (after a grueling gym workout for lunch) in the last of my sample of:

Kiss Me Tender by Parfums de Nicolai

When I was in New Orleans for the BN meetup, the last stop on Saturday with the whole-gang was Hove Parfumeur (remember that Quarry?) and I bought some Heliotrope Bar Soap which smells JUST LIKE KMT. I must admit - as a solo note it's not really my favorite. It has a waxy soapiness to it (sort of like lily of the valley does) and at certain moments it kind of annoys my nose - but this one also has a nice spicy vanilla side to it and it's not gourmand but it is sweet. A truly sweet floral. But - I cannot possibly imagine owning a bottle of this. I think I tend to gravitate towards the Guerlain-ish heliotrope scents like vintage Apres l'Ondee Parfum or Shanghai
    Last edited by mikeperez23; 3rd September 2014 at 12:39 AM.
    "You are here to enable the Divine purpose of the Universe to unfold. That is how important you are."

-- Eckhart Tolle

OMG, Mike, I clicked on the link. Since I am shameless. How have I never heard about Robby Ginepri? Clearly I need to watch more tennis.

My Grandiflora Sandrine has expired, and I am now wearing Lys Mediterranee.

Dior Homme Intense

Basenotes Plus

Hey….there you all are!

My back is feeling much, much better. Thank you all! Hot soaks with epson salt & lavender oil was sooooo wonderful.

Erin, your date sounds really….really nice.

Waves to my smelly friends here. Love you all so very much!

The little RHM went with her daddy on a college visit today. http://missouri.edu VERY big campus she doesn't like that) but she loved the recreation center, the friendly people & the digital art club.

I've had a long & busy day with 101 dementia & Alzheimer folks. God bless them but I'm pooped!

Smelling awesome though in L'Artisan Nuit deTubereuse edp & body lotion.

RHM's Vintage, Rare & Pretty Darn Good items on offer: http://www.basenotes.net/threads/380...old-Pour-Femme

Hi (Evangeline!) So nice to see you! I think of you whenever I see magnolia trees in bloom here!
    Oh, and Katsumi, it is a joy to see you back too! Love those witty and cute comics!
    (Quarry,) thank you for the sweet sleep wishes! I only got about 3 hours last night, so I'm hoping for some nice comfy sleep tonight!
    Mike and Erin, so happy to read about the awesome people you have both met! Something must be in the air, along with all of the good smelling perfumes!
    Rynegne, I think you managed to look very handsome in your Pee-Wee tux! Lol!
    Hugs and healing vibes to RHM and SFmedusa. I tweaked my neck last night in the short amount of time I actually slept, but I feel quite lucky now with my minor complaint! :{

It was still hot today, and the I never thought I would say this, but I actually missed the AC at work-- it was not working today. The temperature actually felt fine, but the humidity was just so... ICK! Just absolutely smothering. At least I chose my refreshing cheap thrill, Agua Lavanda, as my SOTD. I layered it with a generic Bay Rum perfume oil that I received as a freebie and it was a nice combo.

ETA: Kumquat, I love your garden photos! The yellow rose reminds me of Graham Thomas, a rose that I loved and lost from one of the many gardens I've loved and lost! lol...
    Last edited by cestrum nocturnum; 3rd September 2014 at 01:29 AM. Reason: Rose ?
    There are always flowers for those who want to see them.
    ~ Henri Matisse

Tauer Rose Vermeille so yummy!

Blog Entries

((RHM)) So the college visits have begun! Is S. a senior now? Or just getting a head start in her junior year? Have you seen College Confidential forum? Lots of good info there.

((Erin)) Glad, very glad indeed that you had a great date!

I started today with Muguet des Bois, but then I noticed the package from Demeter on our side, where it was left by UPS earlier in the day than they normally come by. It was a roasting hot day (92Ί here) so I hustled the box indoors and quickly unpacked it to get the warm bottles into the air conditioning. Hubby had bought himself a 4 oz. bottle of This Is Not A Pipe (really nice) and I had a few more samples/minis.

We received a free bottle of Banana Flambιe. Think Buttered Popcorn jelly beans with a hint of banana and custard. People seem to love it, reading the reviews, but it did not hit the mark or hubby or me.

Persimmon
    starts off quite fruity and rather synthetic but then becomes cloves and carnation. It smelled a bit like the dried persimmons I've had, but not really like fresh ones.

Honeysuckle -- I bought a bottle of this on eBay several years ago but didn't like it, and did not find it sweet and lovely as the yellow Japanese honeysuckles around here are. But its reviews are good, so I thought maybe I'd gotten a bad bottle, and determined to try again with just a sample. But it's as bad as I remember it. First whiff I even smell fish. Blecch.

Wisteria is quite popular going by reviews, but it doesn't really smell of wisteria-- again, I'm getting lots of clove/carnation plus a bit of lilac. In its drydown, when it was just on my arm and not in clothing at all, it became quite similar to Demeter Honeysuckle. When sprayed under clothing, the clove/carnation lasted longer. Would I wear it? No, but I can see why some might like it.

Finally, I had to try Play Doh. Too bad it doesn't come in the small samples-- I had to buy 1/2 oz. to try it. The reason I really wanted to try it is that when we visited CBIHP in 2011, they had a scent called something like "Guess what?" and it was very true to the smell of Play Doh. More so than this one is. In fact, this actually doesn't smell like Play Doh. More like some sort of vanilla almond cake. It misses the "scent memory" mark. I don't care for its sharp synthetic smelling top notes but isn't unpleasant at all when it dries down. Still, I will not be wearing this.

Well Jon, I did look up the UK idea of 'Having it off'', heh heh. I am a fan of such activities and regularly thank the good Lord for creating them!

ErinK, yay for the best date evah! Here's to many more!

Zilpha, if you decide you like the Cuir de Lancome, it is discontinued, but can be found reasonably online for the moment. I highly recommend it!

Sfmedusa, I am praying for a restful, pain-free knee. You poor thing!

I recall my childhood watching the likes of Bjorn Borg, Chris Evert Lloyd and John MacEnroe! Gosh, I feel a little old now! I never had a crush on them, but I'm quite sure mum did!

Mike, I'll have to look for that Orange Blossom blast in Zahd, haven't experienced that yet!

I wore Iris 39 all day and came home for a refresh with vintage Chloe from a bottle I picked up at a yard sale. Not sure if it's me or not but I will give it time.
    I would have despaired unless I had believed that I would see the goodness of the Lord in the land of the living.

My Sales Thread - A Collection Purge

Blog Entries

Thanks, Quarry. Yes, Cestrum N. Many of my roses are David Austin. I think the Graham Thomas is one of them. Yellow and buttery.