Code of Conduct
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default How did you get into the fragrance game?

We all weren't always passionate about fragrances, so I'm curious how you all got into collecting. State your story and the first fragrance to get you hooked.

In highschool, everyone would always bathe in Axe body spray, even me, who needed it after gym class. Many of us boys fell for the marketing scheme of axe commercials, where the ladies would all attack a man for smelling good. We all wanted to be desirable. However, walking down the halls after someone sprayed axe was never fun, and I noticed girls complain. So I decided to step my game up and buy a REAL men's fragrance.

I was 16, shopping with my mom at the department store when I saw the men's fragrance section, and decided to try as many as I could. At the time, i didn't know names or anything, just went by spraying cards and smelling. The only one that I really liked was Chanel Allure Pour Homme. I then purchased a 50 ml bottle. It became my baby for life.

It never failed me, and the ladies always complimented me. The next fragrance I bought was the Edition Blanche version of APH. However, this once girl I liked, never liked it on me. I was determined to impress her, and she mentioned once that she loves a man who smells good. I heard her say that her favourite scent is Lacoste Essential. That was the next fragrance I bought.

In the end, it didn't work out. However, I learned how much women enjoy men who smell good, so I began to do my research on the best fragrances out there. My collection has grown since then, and now I just simply enjoy smelling nice. I still don't mind the compliments from laides, either.

So what's your story?

Default Re: How did you get into the fragrance game?

Wetshaving.

I got here from Badger & Blade, and I know of a good half-dozen people that will say likewise.

It was back in the 60s living in France as a student through a good friend.
    Remember that while it is perfectly acceptable to criticize the content of a post - criticizing the poster is not.
    Mean spirited, nasty, snide, sarcastic, hateful, and rude individuals on Basenotes don't warrant or deserve other Basenoters' acknowledgement or respect.

Influenced by relatives and acquaintances as an adolescent.
    "Thank GOD for the nose, for without it we would not be enjoying these beautiful created Scents" also Remember "Balance is everything and the key to appreciating "

One of my exes could not bare the "taste" of Axe Dark Temptation on my neck anymore, so she bought me Armani Code and that's how it all started.
    Hypocrites will always be a thorn in my back....and my middle finger will always be the best remedy.....

My grandfather bought me a bottle of cologne (Pierre Cardin Pour Monsieur) sometime in the mid 1980s, and I've been hooked since!

Máscara Almizclado

I was given A*Men as a gift, and have never looked back.
    Last edited by Arij; 10th September 2014 at 02:44 PM.

My father. He had quite a few scents and it just rubbed off on me. My mistake, never rub! Peace to AL.
    Currently wearing: Le Vetiver Itasca by Lubin

Ever since I was 14, the fragrance Salvador Dali being a present of a family friend and also my first proper fragrance.
    Last edited by Ken_Russell; 10th September 2014 at 04:10 PM.

My wife gave the men's Frederic Malle mini set and then I did a Google search and found BaseNotes

When I was young, before the teenage years, I remember Mom and Dad putting on a scent before going out. To the best of my memory Dad had Brut and Aqua Velva, Mom I think had Chantilly and Avon scents. I also recall my Grandma wearing Chanel. In my later teens I got a job working at a drug store. Part of the benefits was products at cost including cologne. I bought Pierre Cardin, Ralph Lauren Chaps / Polo Green and Chanel Antaeus pour Homme. However, Its those very early years that were the trigger. Wearing a scent was a special occasion and it just clicked. So 40 years later I have never been without a scent.
    Beauty is in the nose of the beholder.

I got into fragrances from my dad who let me "try" his Calvin Klein Obsession when I was probably about 9 or 10. I've been hooked ever since.
    Current Top 10:
    Creed Green Irish Tweed
    Creed Silver Mountain Water
    Creed Royal Oud
    Amouage Jubilation XXV
    Tom Ford Tuscan Leather
    Tom Ford Amber Absolute
    Tom Ford Italian Cypress
    Serge Lutens Ambre Sultan
    Amouage Interlude Man
    YSL Rive Gauche Pour Homme

Quote Originally Posted by sjg3839 View Post
    My father. He had quite a few scents and it just rubbed off on me. My mistake, never rub! Peace to AL.
    lol!

I remember vividly smelling Old Spice on my dad growning up. And in the late 90's when I got in my early 20's, I bought and was gifted a couple of scents and would just wear them on "special occations" and such. But my true fragrance addiction didn't start until 2008, when I went and visited a buddy in Dallas who owned LeMale. I was in awe and when I got home went on a quest to find that "perfect" scent and haven't looked back yet

Basenotes Member

I'm in my 30's and for the past 10 yrs or so I haven't worn cologne...closing thing was Gillette mountain wave after shave. Anyways, I just decided a few months back that I needed to get a good cologne. So after sampling a ton of scents in the stores and reading reviews about them online (mainly here and fragrantica) I have gotten very interested in the subject. I've been sampling scents and still trying to decide on what my first purchase(s) will be. Definitely would say I'm hooked.

Playing around with incense resins and essential oils in my teens, and subsequently, my interests expanded from there.

Basenotes Plus

My uncle had always worn Brut or Old Spice, so the notion of "smelling good" was instilled in me from a young age. I'm not really sure, but Polo Green was all the rage in my younger years. I got a bottle of it in middle school mostly because that was the thing to wear. In high school, I went sniffing around and found Polo Blue all on my own. During my high school years, I wore the typical designers: Cool Water, Safari, Polo Sport, Escape, CK One, Eternity, Elements by Hugo Boss. In my early college years, I wore Polo Black, Polo Blue, Very Sexy, and such. Then I got out of fragrances almost completely during my grad school years.

For some reason, the minute I got my Ph.D., the fragrance bug stung me out of nowhere. Now I have several Creeds and am looking for more.
    Currently wearing: Original Santal by Creed

I have always enjoyed wearing fragrances as part of my morning grooming routine. I have always been a one to three bottle guy. I never realized there was a passionate fragrance community or that there were reviews for fragrances. One day I Googled a fragrance I was considering buying to replace one I had run out of. As I searched via Google I clicked on a link for a basenotes review. Once I started reading reviews and posts I was very intrigued by the sheer number of designer and niche fragrances for men and the size of some basenoters collections. Once I started to sample more and started to build a collection I was hooked. Now I'm at just under 30 bottles and I doubt I'll ever get to 50 but I do love this hobby and love wearing something different every day.

Smelt YSL M7 in a magazine on one of those adverts with a sample card with the smell embedded, took me a few years to finally buy it only to open the box and see a half brown bottle and find out it had been reformulated, still smelt quite nice though but not how I remembered, especially the opening. Finally tracked down the original on eBay. M7 was the first frag that transported me instantly into another state of mind, opened me to the magic possibilities of fragrances.
    Must....smell......Good!!!!

My Dad had a nice little collection in the 60's... English Leather, Old Spice, Avon Wild Country... Then came British Sterling and Pierre Cardin!!! He is the one that started it all for me... May He RIP!!!

Stumbled across this forum and the rest is history.

I'm one of the Badger and Blade crossover guys..

Bought some GIT over there and heard about Basenotes. Now I have almost as many decants and full bottles as I do shaving soaps.. That my friends is quite a lot..
    Currently wearing: Original Vetiver by Creed

January 2009. I received a present, Salvatore Ferragamo Tuscan Soul, due to my college degree. Henceforth, I don't know how or why, I started surfing about fragrances, came to this site, remained and started an ever growing collection XD

I got rid of Tuscan Soul quite fast, but now I'm considering it again, the shear memory of it, of that time. By the way, not a bad one at all while we're at it. A citrus fragrance with style and character.

Initially it was giving up smoking, and I found wearing a fragrance was helpful to remind me how awful I must have smelled while I smoked.

I started off with an old bottle of Eternity I had, and like some others have mentioned, found my way here from Badger & Blade, and havent looked back.

Me coming from a persian family should explain it lol, haven't met many persians that aren't into fragrances. Most my uncles and cousins have a pretty nice collection, but my collection kills theirs all

Part of the culture here.
    Second nature.
    for swap/sale:

Basenotes Plus

Started back in the eighties.... dating.
    Currently wearing: Oud Wood by Tom Ford

I stumbled upon perfumes when I entered the work force. My mother was very scent sensitive so no-one in the house wore perfumes or cologne really. Ever since I've been trying to track down a white rose scent and a spicy/amber cologne, both worn by strangers I never met again. Eternity comes close and so does Diesel, but I'm still on the hunt

Oddly, as a product designer and having the mind that comes along with that, I became interested in creating fragrances first. Then followed the addiction to what is already being produced.

My big brother used Lagerfeld to hit on the girls. This made me curious. I found out I loved scents as much as girls, much more than my big brother. The result was that I owned 30-40 full bottle frags at the age of 16.
    Regards
    Claus The Danish Viking